Skip to content

Well This is Awkward, eh Keldorn? (Maybe Nonessential Spoiler?)

So I recently decided to re-roll and do a BG II run after rebalancing certain aspects of the game by modding .2da files. A fresh start if you will. So I decided to pick up Keldorn just to steal his armor before I dumped him off as his house and decided to rescue Viconia on the way there (just to enjoy him banter a bit before I give him the boot). For some reason I decided to cast Detect Evil...

I'd say the results were pretty awkward for Keldorn. :P
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

===========

Anyone else got some fun/funny/interesting screenshots to share, or care to talk about this one (or any facet of the situation that led to this one)? :P
MalicronSCARY_WIZARDMoomintrollTaylorTwerkAnduinDJKajuru

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Yeah, the parallels to KKK-style lynching are hard to ignore. Viconia isn't the nicest person around, but she's not hurting anyone. She just wants to be left alone. But she has black skin, so people want to kill her. Makes sense that those people would be evil. Makes less sense that Keldorn gets to keep his powers if he does it himself.
    Moomintroll
  • AshielAshiel Member Posts: 254
    Jarrakul said:

Yeah, the parallels to KKK-style lynching are hard to ignore. Viconia isn't the nicest person around, but she's not hurting anyone. She just wants to be left alone. But she has black skin, so people want to kill her. Makes sense that those people would be evil. Makes less sense that Keldorn gets to keep his powers if he does it himself.

Yep. I'm laughing about it looking at my screen right now (haven't unpaused 'cause I was posting on these boards), and I can't help but to think that if as a Paladin I detected evil on the whole damn crowd and everyone EXCEPT the drow pinged as evil, I'd have an obligation to sit down and shut up. :P
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Viconia is lucky that she resisted that spell ;)
    sterkelmAshielDJKajurubooinyoureyes
    Well, now that I think about it, there is one lady in the crowd who didn't register as evil (but I think she's also doesn't speak during the dialog so she's not going "burn her" and stuff, but we'll see). Maybe she felt sorry for the poor drow. Fortunately my PC in this run is a real Paladin, which means she is going to heroically save the poor drow and lead her on the path to redemption through example! Keldorn and Anomen can go kiss a beholder. :D
    Malicron
    SionIV said:

Viconia is lucky that she resisted that spell ;)

I know, it was just too perfect. Heheh. :)
    Of course, I've always been a little skeptical of Viconia's evil. Don't get me wrong, she has a chip on her shoulder and an obvious lack of empathy for others, but she's about as close to be neutral as you could get while still being evil I think (she makes no attempts at harming others, shows more self control than most of the "good" guys, and Minsc and Boo like her - so she can't be all bad! :P).

Fortunately I believe in D&D good, which includes altruism, respect for life, and concern for the dignity of others, and that means Viconia is now in my party with my Paladin. :D
    Jarrakul
    I agree completely about Viconia not really seeming that evil. I mean, she definitely isn't a great person, but evil just seems so strong a term for someone who isn't hurting anyone. Which is why it seems odd to me that Keldorn, who is otherwise at least willing to stop and hear things out, is just so utterly dead-set on killing her. But then I suppose otherwise good people are sometimes racist.
    Ashiel
  • RhaellaRhaella Member, Developer Posts: 178
    edited June 2013
    Viconia is in the service of Shar (though I'm not sure that Bioware's writers entirely knew what that meant). I'd say that she's the highest aligned of the three evil NPCs, and that she shows signs that she could become neutral, but there's definitely some ugly stuff going on there.

But yeah, no paladin should be so comfortable with the idea of unlawful mob lynchings performed by evil clerics (hello, Beshabans!), so the whole scenario is bizarre. I'd call it Lawful Stupid, but it's not even really lawful.

@Ashiel - did you mod some of those alignments? Because last I checked, two of the fanatics register as evil, but the third was an (insane) elven ranger.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    edited June 2013

Ashiel said:

Keldorn and Anomen can go kiss a beholder. :D

I͝ ͢p͡r̷otes҉t!

*hovers away*
    Come on, keldorn is so ruggedly handsome!

Erm, unless you're a male beholder... Wait, do you guys HAVE genders?!

Edit: i agree, the original writers were not aware that shar is a very evil deity... Her forgetfulness is not really mercy; it's very similar to offering opiates to the traumatized.
    SCARY_WIZARD
    I like that you can redeem Viconia and show her not everyone is a jerk waffle. :P

Speaking of Viconia...
    I'm kind of feeling like I won't really need another single-classed cleric in the party but I think I want to keep Viconia around just 'cause I like her character. I'm thinking about changing her to a fighter/cleric or ranger/cleric or mage/cleric using an editor since I'm already going to be editing her anyway (see below). What do you guys think?

Notes For Consideration
    I edited a lot of the .2da files in BG I & II and drastically changed the feel of the game. Here's some of the major adjustments that have been made so you guys can help me decide what class to make her in instead of a plain cleric.

1.) Warrior classes do not get extra attacks through specialization. Instead you get +1 attack at 4th, 9th, and 14th level. Specialization provides bonuses to hit and damage as shown below.
    * = Proficient
    ** = +1 Hit / +2 Dmg / -1 speed
    *** = +2 Hit / +4 Dmg / -2 speed
    **** = +3 Hit / +6 Dmg / -3 speed
    ***** = +4 Hit / +8 Dmg / -4 speed
    As normal only Fighters (and certain kits) can achieve more than ** in any weapon category.

2.) Paladins & Rangers begin casting spells at 4th level and reach 5th level spells (Paladins eventually use Righteous Magic, Rangers get Ironskins, essentially). This makes Paladins & Rangers more hybridized (in my experiences they still don't steal the show because 6th & 7th level spells are awesome, and Fighters have superior damage).

3.) All classes have had their THAC0 modified.
    Warrior's decrease their THAC0 by 100% of their level (THAC0 0 @ 20th)
    Priests and Thieves decrease their THAC0 by 75% of their level (THAC0 0 @ 27th)
    Mages decrease their THAC0 by 50% of their level (THAC0 0 @ 40th)

4.) Classes do not roll HP but instead begin with maximum HP for 1st level and then average HP thereafter.
    Warriors get 10 HP + 5.5 / level.
    Priests/Thieves get 8 + 4.5 / level.
    Mages get 6 + 3.5 / level.

5.) All classes receive the same modifiers to HP regardless of class. For example, a dwarf cleric with a 19 Constitution will have a lot more HP than a Cleric with 16 Con. Additionally, all characters have a natural regeneration rate that allows them to heal over time as shown in the spoiler.

Constitution Score | Regeneration Time (in real time)
    Con 1 = 1hp / 20 minutes
    Con 2 = 1hp / 17.3 minutes
    Con 3 = 1hp / 15.6 minutes
    Con 4 = 1hp / 13.3 minutes
    Con 5 = 1hp / 12 minutes
    Con 6 = 1hp / 10.6 minutes
    Con 7 = 1hp / 9.3 minutes
    Con 8 = 1hp / 8 minutes
    Con 9 = 1hp / 6.6 minutes
    Con 10 = 1hp / 6 minutes
    Con 11 = 1hp / 5.3 minutes
    Con 12 = 1hp / 4.6 minutes
    Con 13 = 1hp / 4 minutes
    Con 14 = 1hp / 3.3 minutes
    Con 15 = 1hp / 2.6 minutes
    Con 16 = 1hp / 2.3 minutes
    Con 17 = 1hp / 2 minutes
    Con 18 = 1hp / 1.6 minutes
    Con 19 = 1hp / 1.3 minutes
    Con 20 = 1hp / 1 minute
    Con 21 = 1.2hp / 1 minute
    Con 22 = 1.5hp / 1 minute
    Con 23 = 2hp / 1 minute
    Con 24 = 3hp / 1 minute
    Con 25 = 6hp / 1 minute

6.) All full-casting classes (IE - mages, clerics, druids) get their next spell level at each odd numbered level (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, 15th, and 17th level). Mages get a couple bonus spells each level (I wanted to tie this into Int, granting bonus spells to mages for high Int like Clerics do with Wisdom, but you can't do that with .2da files :P). Bard spell progression also improved (gains new spell level every 3 class levels: 1st, 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th).
    lunarSCARY_WIZARD
    edited June 2013
    Rhaella said:

@Ashiel - did you mod some of those alignments? Because last I checked, two of the fanatics register as evil, but the third was an (insane) elven ranger.

Not that I know of. They may have been adjusted in the G3 Fixpack or something, but otherwise no, I haven't messed with them. :P

Oh, and the reason I was going to be editing her anyway is to apply the adjustments to the NPCs, whenever I recruit a new NPC I save game, load game into shadowkeeper, remove all their proficiencies and such, set THAC0 to 20, drop HP to 1, reduce their levels in their classes to 0, and change their appearance (if they have a paperdoll that is useless, like Imoen's paper doll being a thief instead of a mage).

Once the file is reloaded, I can level them back up to where they were for their XP values, make any level-based choices (such as proficiencies) with all the new changes taking effect (effectively rebooting them).
    I think I'm leaning towards making her a mage/cleric. I thought about fighter/cleric or ranger/cleric (the idea of having her dual-wield flails was an amusing one since she's a female drow), but I feel like since she worships a goddess of magic (Shar) and my Paladin & Misnc will probably be enough muscle for the party (at least for now), it might be nice to have a bit more spellcasting and she could be a nice alternative to Aerie for a change (still mulling over if I want to pick Aerie up or not).
    DreadKhan said:

i agree, the original writers were not aware that shar is a very evil deity... Her forgetfulness is not really mercy; it's very similar to offering opiates to the traumatized.

Hmm, I dunno. I'll admit to being rather ignorant of the novelizations concerning the Forgotten Realms, but neither my Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book, nor the Forgotten Realms wiki paints her as especially evil as far as evil beings go. According to the wiki page on her, it would even seem that she was very content until Selune wanted an over abundance of light (before things had been even between her and her sister) instead of the fairness between the two of them.

FR Wiki: Shar.
    edited June 2013
    Well, I decided to make her a mage/cleric afterall. I just figured another armored caster would be a little redundant with my Paladin + Minsc + Jaheira. In the meantime I think the rest of my party will consist of Jan, Aerie, and Viconia (as a mage/cleric). I must say that Viconia looks quite nice in mage robes. I had to buy her spells from scratch since she didn't start with any (I didn't add any in the editor) so her mage spell selection is very slim (but that's the way I like it since it makes it more fun to collect scrolls :P). I opted to get her MMMeteors and I honestly it's been a while since I've used this spell, but it's so much fun (she was stomping on the enemies in the circus tent :P).

I need to find her a robe though. She's still kinda nekkid. I'm sure she will be a worthy addition to our cause (and we'll need it since it's a no-reload game :P).

This makes me wonder. Anyone else ever change the class composition of NPCs in BG I or II so you can have the party you want without losing out on all that sweet banter?

EDIT: I found a scroll of Friends in the circus tent, so I laughed and gave it to Viconia. After nearly being BBQed at the stake I figured it couldn't hurt her to know that spell. XD
    edited June 2013
    Ashiel said:

DreadKhan said:

i agree, the original writers were not aware that shar is a very evil deity... Her forgetfulness is not really mercy; it's very similar to offering opiates to the traumatized.

Hmm, I dunno. I'll admit to being rather ignorant of the novelizations concerning the Forgotten Realms, but neither my Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book, nor the Forgotten Realms wiki paints her as especially evil as far as evil beings go. According to the wiki page on her, it would even seem that she was very content until Selune wanted an over abundance of light (before things had been even between her and her sister) instead of the fairness between the two of them.

FR Wiki: Shar.
    She is tied for oldest non-uber deity, with Selune. I have read many novels from the setting, (less over time, none for awhile) and she is rarely brought up in novels. Sourcebooks for the campaign setting leave little doubt as to her nature. Very strong emphasis on corruption, hence the shadow weave. The only non-evil worshipers she has are those devoted to her aspect of forgetfulness. Even that is hardly friendly, as mentioned above.

Champions of Ruin and Lords of Darkness both paint a specifically dark picture of the many sects of her church, especially the Monks of the Dark Moon. She's a better liar than Cyric was, and more power hungry. She's good at snatching portfolios. The biggest advantage her church has is being less restricted/predictable than Bane's while being managed coherently than Talos or Cyric.
    Ahhh very interesting. I was under the impression that the shadow weave was an alternate conduit for magic, rather than a corruption of Mystra's weave proper. How very curious...

That being said, last I checked your alignment doesn't have to match your deity's. Viconia could be Neutral aligned and stile be a Sharite (guessing that's what you'd call a follower of Shar? Or maybe a Shard? :P).

I'm a little bummed nobody had an suggestions for how to spec Viconia, but I'm having a blast with her as a mage/cleric. So much fun with her in fact it's a wonder that she wasn't one to begin with (again with the goddess of dark magic and all that). Looking at her stats, she actually seems like a great candidate for mage/cleric (she has poor Strength and Constitution, 19 Dexterity, 16 Intelligence, 18 Wisdom, and 14 Charisma). The 18 Wisdom will do double-duty in enhancing her priest side and also making sure she isn't murdering my party with Wish later. :P
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Ashiel said:

Ahhh very interesting. I was under the impression that the shadow weave was an alternate conduit for magic, rather than a corruption of Mystra's weave proper. How very curious...

That being said, last I checked your alignment doesn't have to match your deity's. Viconia could be Neutral aligned and stile be a Sharite (guessing that's what you'd call a follower of Shar? Or maybe a Shard? :P).

I'm a little bummed nobody had an suggestions for how to spec Viconia, but I'm having a blast with her as a mage/cleric. So much fun with her in fact it's a wonder that she wasn't one to begin with (again with the goddess of dark magic and all that). Looking at her stats, she actually seems like a great candidate for mage/cleric (she has poor Strength and Constitution, 19 Dexterity, 16 Intelligence, 18 Wisdom, and 14 Charisma). The 18 Wisdom will do double-duty in enhancing her priest side and also making sure she isn't murdering my party with Wish later. :P

I'm not sure about 2e but in 3e/3.5 a cleric had to be withing 1 alignment step of their god whereas a follower who does not gain divine magic from that god can be of any alignment. So, for Viconia to recieve divine spells from Shar, who is Neutral Evil, she would have to be True Neutral, Lawful Evil, Neutral Evil, or Chaotic Evil. Shar is very much evil, and quite possibly the most evil of the gods. She strives for a time back when the realms were still unformed with a completel absence of light and life. She basically wants for existence to end. Bane, who is commonly considered the "big bad" of the realms simply wants to rule the world but Shar wants to destroy it.
    BelgarathMTH
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Nice find.

Furthermore I really hope someone makes that HUD mod for BG:EE, hah!
  • stevencookstaginestevencookstagine Member Posts: 2
    Doesn't it kind of break the rules for a female drow born in the underdark to be a cleric/mage? as far as I know it's something like an affront to lolth for a female drow do anything but serve her as a priestess. Since elves cannot dual-class its impossible for viconia to have become a cleric/mage even after her faith changes right?
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629

Doesn't it kind of break the rules for a female drow born in the underdark to be a cleric/mage? as far as I know it's something like an affront to lolth for a female drow do anything but serve her as a priestess. Since elves cannot dual-class its impossible for viconia to have become a cleric/mage even after her faith changes right?

Well, Vicky's already an "affront to Lolth" by being a priestess of Shar, so she might as well get some benefits from it :P
    Ashiel
  • stevencookstaginestevencookstagine Member Posts: 2
    lol, i didn't mean to judge or anything. It's been a long time since i played any d&d and i guess im just trying to remember what i read in the old books.
  • SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    @stevencookstagine Actually, the vast majority of female drow are not clerics at all.

It is common for them to be clerics amongst the nobility, and female nobles in Menzoberranzan are expected to become clerics, though there are exceptions even there.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    DreadKhan said:

Ashiel said:

I͝ ͢p͡r̷otes҉t!

*hovers away*

W̨e d̷o n͠ót͜ n͜eed gend͜er̡s.͝ ̨W̕e͘ ̀have͞ ̷th̸e PERFECT FORM ͘by ͠n͠atu̢re̕.̨ ̶It is̵ ben͝eat́h͢ us to ͡l̢ov́ìng͜l̛y ͡ga҉z̢e̷ at ̡an ͞i͠m͝p̢er͠f́ect͞ ̛c̶re͜atu͜re͡ s̕u͜c͞h ͡as K҉eĺdo͢rņ, wi̛th̕ hi҉s̀ pun͞y ̕t͜w̶o͏ e͞y͠es̢.
    Well, I figured the mage/cleric thing was fitting for her being a proverbial black sheep among her people. That and - to be honest - I've never liked the bizarre and - I'll admit it - stupid mechanics behind pre-3E multiclassing and dual-classing. Dual-classing for example makes 0% sense, and while an amusing option in Baldur's Gate, in tabletop it is virtually unplayable (it carries some bizarre restrictions and is one of the only mechanics in an RPG that requires you to metagame in an extreme way to continue playing the game; thus it is an affront to roleplaying in all its forms).

It's also very interesting to learn more about Shar. Like I said, I've read precious few FR novels (though I read Homeland in its entirety in a single sitting) and all I have for reference on a lot of the FR material is what I've seen in Baldur's Gate, my 3E Forgotten Realms books, Neverwinter Nights, and the FR Wiki. None of which paint Shar as particularly evil (I don't mean they don't paint her as evil, but they mention her in a way that makes her seem no more evil than any random evil deity in Faerun. I'd dare say the FR wiki makes Cyric sound infinitely more evil thar Shar herself. There's also the oddity that apparently Shar accepts good-aligned clerics into her service albeit rarely*); so these insights are very amusing to me. :D

Good-Aligned Clerics of Shar? v
    "Unusual among other orders in the Church, Darkcloaks are actually a compassionate group of oracles and care-givers who tend to those troubled souls who are emotionally damaged, often bringing the bliss of forgetfulness to soothe their pain. Their work has done much to present the church in a positive light to the populace, though too often the reaction is still negative. This order includes some of the few non-evil, non-neutral clerics in the Church."

^ The last sentence mentions "non-evil, non-neutral" clerics in the church, which leaves only lawful, chaotic, and good clerics of Shar, whom presumably still count Shar as their patron goddess. Citation is from The Parched Sea (1991)
    imageShar :D

@Quartz - Yeah I love this UI/HUD. :D
    ==============================================
    #PlaythroughNews

Well I played through a little further and I'm mulling over whether or not to rush off to Irenicus' dungeon. Jan's Pickpocket skill is high enough I could make all the money I ever need by selling wands I've picked up, but I've only really liberated the Coronet and the De'Arnese Hold (which I did mostly to get Flail of Ages because I really love that weapon and it will be my Paladin's main until I fell a certain red dragon); and I dare say that Cleric/Mage Viccy is quickly becoming a favorite in the party. I've saddled her with spells that are "drow-themed" such as Blindness, Web, and Horror. Besides Melf's Meteors, I haven't given her any damage spells (but I play with some of the G3 mods, one of which applies a penalty on saves for spells for every 5 levels above the minimum level to cast the spell, so low level spells can still see some use in the game; right now Viconia has blindness and horror at -1 I think).

Thinking about going to rescue Mazzy and meet up with Valygar, or perhaps to continue the slaver missions (and pickup Larlicor), or possibly go do the quest for Lord Fiirkraag. Decisions decisions.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    To me, Shar is a goddess of Magic much in the same way Beshaba is a goddess of Luck ;)

DreadKhan said:

Ashiel said:

I͝ ͢p͡r̷otes҉t!

*hovers away*

W̨e d̷o n͠ót͜ n͜eed gend͜er̡s.͝ ̨W̕e͘ ̀have͞ ̷th̸e PERFECT FORM ͘by ͠n͠atu̢re̕.̨ ̶It is̵ ben͝eat́h͢ us to ͡l̢ov́ìng͜l̛y ͡ga҉z̢e̷ at ̡an ͞i͠m͝p̢er͠f́ect͞ ̛c̶re͜atu͜re͡ s̕u͜c͞h ͡as K҉eĺdo͢rņ, wi̛th̕ hi҉s̀ pun͞y ̕t͜w̶o͏ e͞y͠es̢.
    What if he was wielding a sword with the Eye of Tyr?

Then, you know, he'd have 3.
    AshielJarrakulMalicronKidCarnival
    My take on Shar has always been that she's pretty much the goddess of nihilism. While believing that hope is a lie and everything is pointless and should just return to the nothingness from whence it came is certainly depressing, it's difficult for me to classify it as more evil than, say, Loviatar's doctrine of "hurt people as much as possible," or as utterly selfish as Cyric's uncaring sociopathy. Sure, Shar wants to destroy the world, but it's not really for her own sake and she isn't interested in hurting people along the way (although she certainly doesn't shirk from it either, hence evil).

Just my take on the issue. Individual perceptions will vary, which kind of makes sense with gods.
    Ashiel
    Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Some hours later in my playthrough and my party's getting pretty strong. This is my Paladin getting ready to take on the Paladin Stronghold quest and begin preparations to go get the Carsomyr. I'm worried about it though. Though my party has been pretty effective thus far (Viconia is a beast with those minute meteors, and my Paladin crushes things with the flail of ages), this game is still quite rough on the martials even with all the rebalancing tweaks. Given I'm trying to do this with as few reloads as possible, I'm really quite concerned about fighting Firkraag. :o

Managed to slip enough treasure under the radar to get the Shield of Balduran without alerting Valen to my presence (15,000+ gp and she shows up and everyone wants you to go-go-go!), so I had a fairly large amount of gold and then sold off some spare weapons and armors I found adventuring. Oh if Keldorn had only gotten to see how amazingly useful that dark skinned beauty is in furthering the cause for righteousness. Now that I've got the shield, the flail of ages+3, and the azure edge, I'm probably going to tackle the Unseeing Eye before running off to face any dragons (it's a shame you can't take the artifact weapon from the unseeing eye quest out, 'cause I'd totally blast Firkraag with it :P).

I'm trying to decide where to head off after that. I could perhaps rescue Mazzy Fenton, or do the Thieves' Guild quest line, or perhaps give one of my PCs a vacation and do Korgan's quest in the undercity. Or I could just begin the quest to go rescue Imoen (Jan's Pickpocket skill is 200, so it would be trivial to garner the funds to make the voyage), and it has been so long since I played through the post-Athkatla stuff I scarcely remember Spellhold or anything after it. Decisions decisions. I'm taking suggestions. :)
    I'm not entirely sure what level you are, but if your mages are at least 9th, you could probably take Firkraag. Stock up on fire resistance spells/scrolls, memorize a couple lower resistance spells, and have Jan set a few traps around the room. Oh, and if you're not a cavalier, remember to pack a resist fear. Then just unload magic missiles from your three mages and don't stand next to Firkraag for too long, because he does have a tendency to mess people up.

Now, if your mages aren't at least 9th level, I think doing another quest or two first might be pretty well advised. The Trademeet line is good for outfitting Jaheira in particular, and Haer'Dalis's questline has the first available fair of boots of speed, which is just generally great.