Skip to content

Overhaul Games ...

Love you guys, want to continue giving you support right now, you have my full confidence :D

Comments

• MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    I have full confidence in Overhaul and Beamdog, I'm just not sure what they can do against the giant companies that hold the rights to the games. Things are very, very bleak.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    edited June 2013
    I support them ,

But i feel the situation is "Giant Companies" are teaching them how to handle the business...

After those issues happen , i believe they will take care the contract very carefully in the future .....
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2013

Love you guys, want to continue giving you support right now, you have my full confidence :D

Since the last two threads on this topic have been closed, mightest well make this the next one (everyone just try to stay on topic though).

Hopefully the issues involved here can be worked out. I'd like to see BG2EE released at the very least. I'd like the patch too, but mostly for the ability to probably play BGEE on my netbook :D
    I ask only this; in the unfortunate event that BG2:EE can not be released, can we at least be told how the stories of the new NPCs would have gone? Just a bit of closure, you know?

I assume you guys have heard that the Neverwinter Vault got shut down today?

Later in same quote:

There is no official information available as to why the Neverwinter Vault ceased to exist today, but the community all assumes that it's Atari's doing.

I'd heard, and this bodes very poorly for the EEs. It seems to me that Atari's determined to see all of their titles go down with them. Going out in a blaze of sour grapes, as it were.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited June 2013
    @Malicron, I know, right? More like nuclear Armageddon grapes. "If we're going down, we're taking the whole computer D&D universe with us!"

Superman, save us!
    Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Malicron said:

I have full confidence in Overhaul and Beamdog, I'm just not sure what they can do against the giant companies that hold the rights to the games. Things are very, very bleak.

I am not sure "Against" is appropriate in this statement. I don't think that they can do anything "Against" another company that wants to buy the rights. And given that there has already been a proven profit margin I would surmise that anyone who is interested would probably push forward with (a) buying the rights and (b) producing BG2 in some form or another and (c) potentially furthering the franchise if deemed profitable.

What I do hope is that Overhaul is at least at the table and best case scenario that they are able to bid out any competitors such that they get to continue to produce the BG:EE franchise. I don't see this as doing anything Too or against another company, but gaining the rights to continue the work they started.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Great... Probably in a week or so we'll start to see threads about Illuminati, chemtrails and vaccines.
    Conspiracy, conspiracy everywhere!
    edited June 2013
    Didn'tcha know? The Zombie apocalypse is coming.

In all seriousness, if all of these sites are being taken down, I wonder if someone somewhere is planning a relaunch of some sort. It takes money and resources to shut stuff down like this and most companies simply don't have the resources to do that 'out of spite'. However, if they want to enhance the offering price or someone is planning some kind of rebranding/remarketing of the license, then i could see someone putting out the money this way.

How's that for a conspiracy theory?
    edited June 2013
    @Dee, thank you for trying to calm me down about this. However, I will believe it when I see the Neverwinter Vault back up and operating as it has for the past decade plus.

Now, I know that the Nexus just stirred up a bit of panic by, in the past couple of days, executing an "upgrade" of its site, invalidating several tried and true links, including the BGR link, by separating NWN1 and NWN2 downloads areas. This was not what made me start doing my "Chicken Little" routine.

What made me revert to my Chicken Little stance, is that a modding site that I have depended upon for years and years, just ceased to exist today.

Like I said, I will believe you when the Neverwinter Vault is back up, as though nothing had happened today. I listened to the Company employees who said that "Atari's bankruptcy will have no effect on BG:EE," when the bankruptcy was first announced. I said, with everyone who was employed to toe the Company Line, "Haha, it's nothing, it won't affect my enjoyment of Baldur's Gate." And, whoops, it totally does, after all.

Pardon me, and forgive me, as I consider you a trusted friend, @Dee, if I stop believing pretty much anything you say at this point, as you are an employee of one of the companies involved in this horrible gaming fiasco of (as I see it) epic proportions.

As I said, I will start believing you again, and I will apologize profusely for my silliness, if the Neverwinter Nights Vault is back online tomorrow.

Please, I beg you, prove me wrong, a crazy, paranoid, conspiracy nut.

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    @Dee since the notice of stopping selling bgee thread got closed is there any official place where us fans can look with updated information? Like week of 6/24/13 nothing to report on resuming sales of ee..

You know a place where we can look and know this is the latest and not a rumor or whatever.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Dee said:

@belgarathmth
    I totally understand, and I don't know for certain either what's going on there, but looking at some forum posts from back in February it sounds like they knew ahead of time that the site might go down, as a result of IGN's lay-offs earlier this year; as a result, many of those mods have been moved to a new site, and they're working on finding back-ups of the rest. That's what makes me think it's unrelated, although that doesn't necessarily mean the site will be back up, either.

@smeagolheart
    News on that front is sparse, except to say that we've got people working on it every day. Unfortunately due to the nature of it (legal issues, contract negotiations, phone calls with estranged relatives), we have to keep a lot of it under wraps. But I'll dig around and see if we can get a dedicated (read-only) "Sit-Rep" thread together.

@Dee perfect! :)
    Except if the zombie apocalypse hits. Or someone attacks them with Werebears.
  • BoradordinBoradordin Member Posts: 38
    Malicron said:

I assume you guys have heard that the Neverwinter Vault got shut down today?

Later in same quote:

There is no official information available as to why the Neverwinter Vault ceased to exist today, but the community all assumes that it's Atari's doing.

I'd heard, and this bodes very poorly for the EEs. It seems to me that Atari's determined to see all of their titles go down with them. Going out in a blaze of sour grapes, as it were.
    Along this same thread, and I've been a cursed fan of Atari since waaaayyy back when, they are bound and determined to blow themselves up, taking our favorite game franchises with them. I wish, oh how I wish, someone could come up with a BG / IWD / ToEEish game running on a public-domain engine.

In other words, put it into the public domain using those portions of our genres we love so much. I don't see a reason we could not tell Atari, WoTC, etc. to go pound sand and do it ourselves. It is along these same lines that we now have such fine CMS programs like Joomla and Wordpress.

The community-at-large has some game programmers and even finer world creators. The only problem I could foresee is that everyone would be going there own way. In other words, direction would definitively needed.

And, of course, this is just the opinion of one long-time (1978) gamer lacking the time to sit down for a pen-n-paper game.

Cordially,
    'Ol Bearded Menace

P.S. And before someone comments about Project Eternity, two points. It is commercial in nature. Secondly, I personally don't like gunpowder and guns and the like. And yeah, I'm not a programmer either.
    The problem is that Atari and WotC don't just own the rights to the Infinity Engine, between them they own every single aspect of the games, both creative and technical. Technically speaking, ports of Baldur's Gate like Baldur's Gate: Reloaded and the one putting SoA in the Dragon Age engine are illegal. Atari and WotC haven't moved against them yet because the own the engine it's being ported to as well. If you ported it over to an open source engine, though, they stop making money. And when companies stop making money, the lawyers get involved.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    GemRB.
    edited June 2013
    Kaeloree said:

@belgarathmth I can safely say G3, SHS and PPG aren't going to disappear any time soon. :)

Thank you for that reassurance, @Kaeloree. I didn't know if G3 was a private site, or not. I had thought that the NWN Vault was a private site, but, apparently, it is owned by some corporation I've never heard of called "IGN", and it is totally vulnerable to "cease and desist" orders from Atari.

I've been using and appreciating the BG NPC Project, the IWD NPC Project, and the IWD2 NPC Project, for so many years, I don't remember how many years it's been; not to mention, BG Tweaks, IWD Tweaks, Gavin, Finch, Nathaniel, Faren, Kelsey, and so many modded "friends" to me in my "imaginary friend zone", that I can't even begin to comprehend the grief I would feel if they all just disappeared to some nefarious "cease and desist" order from real life.

I do indeed hope and pray that G3 at least is a wholly private entity, completely immune to "The Empire Strikes Back" that seems to be going on in the public, legal sphere of gaming matters, currently.

This whole Atari thing is starting to be of morbid fascination to me, of the kind that makes a person wracked by anxiety, delusion, and psychosis start up with a "mwaaaaah...hahahahaha" demeanor, driven mad by inability to cope. It all is that to me, because, this is the first time in my near 50-year old memory, that real life has so directly impacted my life of escape through imagination.

Anyhoo, long live Gibberlings Three, and Spellhold Studios!!
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    edited June 2013
    @belgarathmth They are definitely private-- @CamDawg owns G3, I own SHS, and jcompton owns PPG ;) As I said--they ain't going nowhere anytime soon.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    @Belgarathmth - I can't really explain what IGN is, but if you've heard of Gamespy, they're the ones that own it. As for the NWN Vault, that's kind of disheartening, but I think some people knew that it was going to be going down eventually.

@Kaeloree - Doesn't @CoM_Solaufein own the Team BG/Chosen of Mystra site? Or maybe @CoM_Solaufein can answer this one.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @SapphireIce101 Yep, he does. :)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

Great... Probably in a week or so we'll start to see threads about Illuminati, chemtrails and vaccines.

@SpaceInvader

You forgot the aliens... You can never forget the aliens when discussing conspiracies...
    mlnevese said:

@SpaceInvader

You forgot the aliens... You can never forget the aliens when discussing conspiracies...
    That can only mean... @SpaceInvader IS AN ALIEN!!!

*rereads op's username*

Oh.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    edited June 2013
    I've only just become aware (roughly) of the situation. Is this largely just because of Atari's precarious position regarding bankruptcy or does the deal Trent and Beamdog entered into to get BG:EE figure into this? From what I recall hearing about that deal it made me question if Trent and co. really weighed up the pros and cons objectively enough before deciding to go ahead with it.
    Malicron said:

I ask only this; in the unfortunate event that BG2:EE can not be released, can we at least be told how the stories of the new NPCs would have gone? Just a bit of closure, you know?

@Malicron Yeah. If it doesn't pan out then I'd like to know their planned character arcs and anything else that was planned for inclusion in BG2:EE.

Though I wouldn't say no to seeing their stories finished off in a similar manner to their prequel stories already posted by Beamdog. Maybe even one story that involves them all and Baeloth (it could be a short story sequel to the Black Pits or something else). Though in all likelihood if BG2:EE were to go belly up then I doubt they'd be able to contract whoever wrote those other short story prequels for the individual characters. Still it's a fun idea.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Redguard The new NPCs have long stories in BG2EE going all the way through ToB. I don't think short stories for the site were planned for them...
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    @mlnevese

You misunderstand. I'm saying if BG2:EE doesn't pan out then they could do something different and post a short story that includes all of them. It need not be held to whatever their plans were for the actual game itself.

I would still hope to hear what their plans were for the characters in game in any case though. But I wouldn't mind a short story that does something with them and gives us a bit of closure as a farewell/thank you to the fans. Though again I realise if they couldn't finish and publish BG2:EE then managing even that could be difficult for them.