Skip to content

Baeloth in BG2:EE / Baeloth Arena "Stronghold"

IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
Dee said:

Will there be a "Black Pits 2"?
I can't say anything about what's involved, but you may have heard us say something about Baeloth not being a playable NPC during BG2 because he's "busy in that time".

Noooo! Am I the only here who would like to see more of Baeloth in BG-2? As good as having a Black Pits 2 or something similar, it won't be near as good as with the so many possible intriguing interactions that an eccentric, crazy, drow sorceror like Baeloth can have in BG-2.

EDIT:
Here's another suggestion of arena "stronghold":

Illegal
From there, maybe you could settle matches. Maybe implement some sort of "morality" even. Have it Illegal if you prefer, wherein there could be powerful monsters and ordinary folks alike being abducted. The chances of abduction success is similar to thief stronghold when you issue orders. You would most likely get more income with this evil route as aside from the base income from entrance fee, there would be a betting system. And since it is illegal, the authorities may send in squads from time to time to shutdown the arena IF they find out (a side quest), or they purposely have some of their people be abducted to participate in arena and attempt shut it down from the inside IF they don't know the location yet. Or since you have powerful participants (if you chose to), there might be a small chance that they'd be able to break free and cause some disturbance. You may also choose to train your men recruited and/or trained for security purposes and the abduction success rate.

Legal
Have it legalized. It is an arena that is properly monitored by the authorities (also sanctioned by the Cowled Wizards so spellcasting is authorized). No killing if they must say so...but depending on what's the developers' take on this, maybe not. Think of it the Roman Colosseum. There would participants from different factions. You'd probably have less control on the selection process, as there would no longer be "abductions of your own choosing". Less income also as you'd share the income to the authorities with jurisdiction to your arena. It might be more boring that the illegal counterpart, but what do you expect? I'm sure the creative minds of the developers could create something interesting for the arena mechanics. In fact, since these are willing participants, I would expect that these are the gutsy or the arrogant type of people. So they'll be the ones who'd trigger the side quests e.g. create Thayvian Red Wizards creating a ruckus. Same as illegal, your men can also be recruited and/or trained for security or whatever.

As a side note, if there would be recruitment of men involved. Why not have it be a source of side quest as well? Much like NWN-2 stronghold wherein you could have recruit men from here and there to strengthen your stronghold. The recruitment is just another collection of interesting mini quest that would bring an extra interest to the BG-2 world. Meet and recruit people spread out around the BG-2 world. Once recruited, maybe some can have a mini side quest of their own. E.g. in illegal arena, you may unknowngly hire an undercover agent to reveal your arena's location, or since you'd most likely recruit people of interest, these people maybe of interest to another opposing parties that would create a fuss in the arena.
Post edited by Illustair on

Comments

• DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I'm very interested to see what becomes of him. Even with a black pits 2. How did he return to the under dark? Will he remember your character? I'm hoping for a bit more story than the original black pits.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I guess we will have to see. He may make some kind of a cameo appearance in BG2EE, especially given his popularity.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    You aren't the only one that wants to see Baeloth in BG2.

I secretly wish that he were a romancible NPC in BGEE, and BG2EE, but I already know it isn't going to happen.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    I'm expecting to run into him somewhere in the Underdark portion of BG2, personally.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Malicron said:

I'm expecting to run into him somewhere in the Underdark portion of BG2, personally.

Maybe in the tavern?
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    That's what I was afraid of. Just another cameo appearance...just like many of the other NPCs. Personally, in RP perspective, I would like to have him during my battle against Irenicus. I thought his relatively powerful arcane skills should come in handy. There are a lot of in-betweens that should be interesting as well, that it would be interesting to see how things would turn out with him around. In no particular order: Planar Sphere. Underdark. Silver dragon. Edwin. Cowled Wizards. Elves. That's all I could think of for now, but I'm sure there's more.

I won't hesitate to pay $10-20 just to have an NPC DLC of him.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Well, I was guessing he'd recruit the pc to fight in whatever pits he's running now, recruiting from the tavern and gallivanting on a side quest. Recruitable I think has been poo pooed.
    edited June 2013
    Fair enough. I guess that's a lot better than nothing. :-) I'm stubborn though, I know.;p Why not be able to recruit him if you beat him in such side quest? Wouldn't it be interesting to have your own (at least after you get it from him) arena. Have someone else organize or implement the rules you set upon other than Baeloth. It would then be akin to having another stronghold. In fact, it would very much resemble Nalia and the fighter class stronghold.

Here's my take. Maybe you'd find it interesting:

Illegal
    From there, maybe you could settle matches. Maybe implement some sort of "morality" even. Have it Illegal if you prefer, wherein there could be powerful monsters and ordinary folks alike being abducted. The chances of abduction success is similar to thief stronghold when you issue orders. You would most likely get more income with this evil route as aside from the base income from entrance fee, there would be a betting system. And since it is illegal, the authorities may send in squads from time to time to shutdown the arena IF they find out (a side quest), or they purposely have some of their people be abducted to participate in arena and attempt shut it down from the inside IF they don't know the location yet. Or since you have powerful participants (if you chose to), there might be a small chance that they'd be able to break free and cause some disturbance. You may also choose to train your men recruited and/or trained for security purposes and the abduction success rate.

Legal
    Have it legalized. It is an arena that is properly monitored by the authorities (also sanctioned by the Cowled Wizards so spellcasting is authorized). No killing if they must say so...but depending on what's the developers' take on this, maybe not. Think of it the Roman Colosseum. There would participants from different factions. You'd probably have less control on the selection process, as there would no longer be "abductions of your own choosing". Less income also as you'd share the income to the authorities with jurisdiction to your arena. It might be more boring that the illegal counterpart, but what do you expect? I'm sure the creative minds of the developers could create something interesting for the arena mechanics. In fact, since these are willing participants, I would expect that these are the gutsy or the arrogant type of people. So they'll be the ones who'd trigger the side quests e.g. create Thayvian Red Wizards creating a ruckus. Same as illegal, your men can also be recruited and/or trained for security or whatever.

As a side note, if there would be recruitment of men involved. Why not have it be a source of side quest as well? Much like NWN-2 stronghold wherein you could have recruit men from here and there to strengthen your stronghold. The recruitment is just another collection of interesting mini quest that would bring an extra interest to the BG-2 world. Meet and recruit people spread out around the BG-2 world. Once recruited, maybe some can have a mini side quest of their own. E.g. in illegal arena, you may unknowngly hire an undercover agent to reveal your arena's location, or since you'd most likely recruit people of interest, these people maybe of interest to another opposing parties that would create a fuss in the arena.

Now that I think about it. With that something interesting, I wouldn't mind if Baeloth won't be a recruitable NPC just as long as arena "stronghold" is implemented i.e. properly and interestingly implemented. I might post this as a feature request, who knows if it might spark a creative idea to the developers. So please do share your ideas so I can properly incorporate necessary changes to the soon-to-be request.
    Post edited by Illustair on
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Baeloth, reclaiming The Black Pits from an alhoon. :D Dude'd have so much to say in the Underdark part of BG II.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    My evil PC would like the idea of running an arena :)
  • KennisKennis Member Posts: 124
    Bring Back Baeloth. Awesomest NPC ever. Please, at least as DLC. I like playing the thief, so two evil wizards rocks the game. :)
    Exactly! Why it was decided that he won't be playable NPC is beyond me. He's usually the most or second most well-received new playable NPC in the game. That's impressive considering he hardly has anything to say for characterization outside of Black Pits.

I'm expecting "busy in that time" has got to be something really big. Perhaps an arena "stronghold" as suggested?
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    I wouldn't want him as a joinable NPC, but it would be nice to meet him. I love how they put Garrick, Faldorn, Xzar, Edwin, and many more into the game as small cameo. I can't help but smile everytime i walk past the radiant heart and see Garrick.
    Coran* not Edwin :p
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited June 2013

Coran* not Edwin :p

Yea i was thinking about him and that lady of his, don't know why i put edwin there :P

[Edited] Lady = Safana
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    SionIV said:

I wouldn't want him as a joinable NPC, but it would be nice to meet him. I love how they put Garrick, Faldorn, Xzar, Edwin, and many more into the game as small cameo. I can't help but smile everytime i walk past the radiant heart and see Garrick.

Besides the fact these NPCs barely seems to notice you, even if you traveled with them for the entire BG saga.
    @kamuizin remember that you are supposed to travel with Minsc, Dynaheir, Imoen, Khalid and Jaheira :)
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704

@kamuizin remember that you are supposed to travel with Minsc, Dynaheir, Imoen, Khalid and Jaheira :)

We're suposed to finish BG with this party (or at least make the transition to BG2 with this party) but not to travel the entire game with them :)! A bit of aknowledge of my presence in BG2 would be nice.