Skip to content

Found a Use for Rasaad!

kmfdmkmfdm Member Posts: 18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tSQlEzA60U&feature=youtu.be

He's a perfect bait for Drizzt kiting before you get the Boots of Speed. Besides, there is something about having a lawful good monk in a group full of chaotic and neutral evil cutthroats.
Post edited by kmfdm on

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2013
    kmfdm said:

He's a perfect bait for Drizzt kiting before you get the Boots of Speed. Besides, there is something about having a lawful good monk in a group full of chaotic and neutral evil cutthroats.

Lol. For the first 20 seconds or so Dorn is like NO I want to fight him head on!
  • kmfdmkmfdm Member Posts: 18
    Hah yeh, he tried to get close to him three times, even while holding a bow.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I'd have liked the folks at Beamdog to have given Drizzt some kind of ranged weapon so that this whole Kiting business could be removed from the Cheese list of options. It would also prevent people from blocking him in and thus preventing him from attacking. Don't know if that would have voilated the TOS or whatever, but it seems like a logical thing to do considering how many players list Kiting as the key to killing this iconic character.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326

I'd have liked the folks at Beamdog to have given Drizzt some kind of ranged weapon so that this whole Kiting business could be removed from the Cheese list of options. It would also prevent people from blocking him in and thus preventing him from attacking. Don't know if that would have voilated the TOS or whatever, but it seems like a logical thing to do considering how many players list Kiting as the key to killing this iconic character.

I don't see what's wrong with kiting here considering the ability to do so is considered a key skill in many other games.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Mathmick said:

I don't see what's wrong with kiting here considering the ability to do so is considered a key skill in many other games.
    I also don't believe that fishing with Dynamite is legitimate.

Basically this isn't other games. you are supposed to be facing something akin to an intelligent opponent. And given choices, no sane opponent is going to continue chase someone who is running away from you and hasn't done any real damage to you while someone else is pelting you with arrows and doing real damage to you. It is basically exploiting a flaw in the AI program, not making a Tactically valid choice.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Mathmick said:

Besides, it only looks silly because of the limitations of the simulation; a real-life example would be fighting a running battle, whittling your opponent down, drawing them where you want them. This would mean something more like a chase scene, with a few blows exchanged as you try and move away. Same concept, one just looks better.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326

Basically this isn't other games. you are supposed to be facing something akin to an intelligent opponent. And given choices, no sane opponent is going to continue chase someone who is running away from you and hasn't done any real damage to you while someone else is pelting you with arrows and doing real damage to you. It is basically exploiting a flaw in the AI program, not making a Tactically valid choice.

It's a tactically valid choice because you are taking advantage of an option that is available to you due to conditions:

1) You can move faster.
    2) You can attack from a longer range.

If you have those two conditions fulfilled, than kiting is a perfectly suitable tactic, simply because you have the capacity to do so.
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    But that is not the case - if Drizzt was to stop chasing the fleeing monk and attack the guys who are actually fighting back then you'd be dead in seconds. If your party was actually faster (e.g.just another monk and Rasaad, both armed with slings) then you'd have a point...
    Except that an intelligent enemy would still disengage and run if it becomes apparent that he has no way of winning.
  • OrchestrationOrchestration Member Posts: 13
    I swear there are people out there that think that unless you managed to beat Drizzt with a level 1 mage in melee, with minium points in all stats, naked with only 1 HP left, no spells left and no other team members on hardcore difficulty. Oh and your not allowed to reload, if you die you have to start the game from the begining. Then your win is not legitimate and that the game needs patched so that when you fight Drizzt this is the only way it can be done.

Because this is the ONLY fun way to beat him and everyone should be forced to fight him this way.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    In the 13 years I have owned Baldur's Gate--I still have original disks and no scratches yet, thank goodness--I have *never* fought Drizzt. What would be the point? That isn't the "real" Drizzt so you don't get bragging rights for beating him. To get his cool swords? Any of us could make better swords in 5 minutes. *shrug* I simply don't see the fascination.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    ambrennan said:

But that is not the case - if Drizzt was to stop chasing the fleeing monk and attack the guys who are actually fighting back then you'd be dead in seconds. If your party was actually faster (e.g.just another monk and Rasaad, both armed with slings) then you'd have a point...
    Except that an intelligent enemy would still disengage and run if it becomes apparent that he has no way of winning.

I think you are forgetting that his slow characters are as fast as drizzt, meaning they can run away, jut not increase heir lead. Didn't you ever play monkey in the middle? The game is about convincing you that you actually have a chance to win: drizzt can chase whoever he wants, he just isn't going to catch them!

Also, use 2 monks and darts. Pshaw!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    edited June 2013
    Drizzt In my opinion an incredibly over rated and unlikable character in the lore I ALWAYS even when playing good characters, provide myself the joy of slaughtering him like the sheep he is. Also why the heck does your reputation drop for gutting him? I don't care if he's Drizzt he's a dark elf and many would be glad for you to commit the deed and that aside... who the hell reports you? there isn't a person around for miles...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2013

Drizzt In my opinion an incredibly over rated and unlikable character in the lore I ALWAYS even when playing good characters, provide myself the joy of slaughtering him like the sheep he is. Also why the heck does your reputation drop for gutting him? I don't care if he's Drizzt he's a dark elf and many would be glad for you to commit the deed and that aside... who the hell reports you? there isn't a person around for miles...

Throwing this one out there. Maybe he has friends who would divine the murderer? Plus doesn't Baldur's Gate 2 include a dialogue involving Drizzt responding to you having killed him before. If he was resurrected I imagine he'd know who did it, though the reputation loss wouldn't be instant.

• kmfdmkmfdm Member Posts: 18

Drizzt simply has to die on my every playthrought. It became part of the story. It wouldn't be complete if I let him kill the gnolls and then just walk away. Just like I always kill Minsc and his rodent when I meet him in Nashkel. It's nothing personal.

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Regardless of Drizzt's likeability, cheese is called that way for a reason, and as you know it can apply to a lot more situations and ability/power usages.

Having said that, if you enjoy playing a certain way it obviously doesn't or shouldn't matter if someone else considers it cheese.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598

Birds.

They spy on us. :| They spy on us all. ~_~

Agents of Saruman, no doubt. We must go through the mines of Moria. (After a brief detour up a mountain slope whose name eludes me.)

Whoops, wrong fantasy world

• PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560

Actually, if you are facing two opponents and both have ranged weapons, and you can only chase one of them at a time, there's very little you can do about it.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    PugPug said:

Actually, if you are facing two opponents and both have ranged weapons, and you can only chase one of them at a time, there's very little you can do about it.
    Subedei made quite a name for himself by combing mobility with very powerful/accurate ranged attacks; composite bows on horseback. A few had tried the bare bones of the strategy, but subedei was the guy that could actually achieve the impossible on the battlefield. And he basically took the basic kiting used by the Parthians etc to a much higher level. And used better horses and bows to do it.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    How about not killing him because doing so is a damned evil thing to do?
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    But conversely the guy you chase can't fire at you (he'd have to turn around and aim, allowing you to catch up) whilst the other guy can't fire either because stopping to aim would allow you to get away... Until you hit the edge of the map or an ocean or something.

And you can't run in circles either because anything other running directly away from Drizzt would allow him to gain on you by using an intercept path.
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    edited June 2013

Mathmick said:

It wouldn't matter if he'd begin to chase the archer, you can have two archers so that you can shoot with the bait when the 1st archer is attacked instead. Imagine if a group of madmen attacked you with bows, it's not that easy to resolve the situation, and Drizzt was never shown using a bow so it'd actually make it cheesy if he did.
    We should also take into account that in games like Baldur's Gate, the graphical representation is only schematical, we add the rest with our own imagination and that's also what makes the games with "simple" graphics more intriguing. I can easily imagine the battle where Drizzt deflects many arrows with his trusty scimitars, struggling for maybe even an hour before the marauder group overcomes him by the sheer number of arrows fired. Being a legend as he is, it's more plausible for me to consider the struggle to take so long, and if you consider hitpoints being only a schematical way to show that someone isn't dead yet, you can even imagine that he only got hit maybe 3 times, with the last arrow piercing his heart. I use this to prevent having to imagine that someone has 30 arrows stuck in his neck and still runs around merrily.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292

Mathmick said:

Using cheesey tactics probably wouldn't be necessary if Drizzt didn't have such cheesey abilities. It's cheese vs. cheese.

That said, I almost always play good or neutral so I've never killed him.

• PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    ambrennan said:

But conversely the guy you chase can't fire at you (he'd have to turn around and aim, allowing you to catch up) whilst the other guy can't fire either because stopping to aim would allow you to get away... Until you hit the edge of the map or an ocean or something.

And you can't run in circles either because anything other running directly away from Drizzt would allow him to gain on you by using an intercept path.

It's certainly possible to fire a short bow or throw something pointy while running. You could fire a crossbow, too, but reloading would be tricky.

As for running in circles... for one, it's not necessary. For two, a fast runner would be able to run in a very large circle. For three, shoot him in the leg. :)

The BG AI does occasionally try for an intercept path by moving toward the coordinates you have clicked. But you're right, it usually doesn't.

I've never tried to kill him, though. It's probably possible to do toe-to-toe with a geared and level-capped party.
  • StevevdlStevevdl Member Posts: 73
    Man did I do it the hard way the first time I killed Drizzt. Imoen hides in shadows, backstab, run away into trees and hide in shadows, repeat until Drizzt is dead