Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Reloaded = BG1+TotSC ->NWN2 conversion

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Illustair, if you think Imoen looks "pretty" in BGR, you should take a look at Dynaheir! All the females are "hot" as rendered by the NWN2 engine. The look of BGR is superlative, and I am really glad I played with it.

I would say that there is virtually no chance that anything from BG:EE is ever going to make it into BGR, given what is going on currently.

The dialogue sounds are present in BGR, at least as far as my experience with it. Jaheira and Khalid, for example, still have "Khalid, 't'would take a sailor to untie that tongue!" and "Jaheira, my dear, must you always, a-a-always be so... s-s-s-soo..."
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited June 2013
    Yes all the dialogue sounds are in it, it appears. If you emote with the selected character (via right click) they also say some of their unique dialogue.

I'm really loving this module! AND I just downloaded the IWD remake yesterday! Just found out about that one. I haven't played hardly any IWD yet (been hooked on BGR), but when I was installing it it seems to share some resources with BGR. I hope they are compatible. My brother and I are thinking of going through IWD together in multiplayer, sounds pretty awesome.
    edited June 2013
    Well, I've calmed down since my previous rant, and resumed playing BGR after taking a break with the OC.

I just finished the battle at the top of the Iron Throne building for the first time, and it was epically awesome and satisfying. I avoided reloading, but my entire party except for me was dead - not just unconscious and comatose, but greeting Kelemvor DEAD.

My Aasimaar pally rocks! I had a very satisfying experience with this encounter. I am now starting Ulgoth's Beard, and delaying the Return to Candlekeep.

(BTW, I'm using my same Aasimaar pally build in the OC, and he's *really* kicking butt in that! Of course, pretty much *any* build kicks butt in the OC. LOL.)
    More promotional shots. These are from Karoug's ship on Werewolf Island.

This first one shows us realizing what we've gotten ourselves into:

Dynaheir! Don't fire until you see the green of their eyes! Go for the eyes, Boo, go for the eyes! Grrrrask!

My party witches are awesome! Stoneskins for everyone! And here's a good view of me and my Hammer of Justice I got from the unworthy coward Bassilus, fighting the evil wolfies:

And finally, a beautiful view of the full moon rising over Werewolf Island:

Caution: Head BGR scripter Shallina has admitted that she unknowingly placed pallets as paths down in Karoug's ship, which can be destroyed by AoE spells, and locking you forever in Karoug's ship, ending your run if you don't have an acceptable save from before you entered the ship. Having been tipped off about this problem, I was extremely careful to have all AoE spells disabled before I went into the ship, including taking all of our wands away from Imoen, Dynaheir, and Jaheira. That done, this entire module from BGR was totally epic awesome sauce, and we got over 5,000 xp, for level-ups for the whole party!
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    @ReadingRambo Let us know whether the IWD remake is compatible! Pretty keen to play that next. Also - If it's as buggy as BGR.

@belgarathmth Have you been through Durlags Tower yet? I'm near the end now & it's been bugging out to a deranged degree. Any issues with Wolf Island?
    edited July 2013
    @Isair, no issues other than the one I mentioned at the end of the post, which didn't cause me trouble since I had been forewarned. Oh, and also, the "Blue Lady" doesn't give you the dude's dead brother, so that one quest can't be completed.

Based on yours and quite a few other posts, I think I'm going to skip Durlag's Tower until the first patch (it's never been my favorite BG adventure anyway), and start pressing toward the final confrontation with Sarevok now. I'm up to having defeated the Iron Throne gang and having obtained the book I need to go back to Candlekeep and get accused of murder.

EDIT: btw, there's a hotfix out that fixes graphical issues in Durlag's Tower with the walls not rendering correctly, making it all look like a bunch of stones hanging in mid air. However, I've also heard of at least one unkillable boss on a bridge. There are also issues with Imoen making critical fails and triggering traps quite regulary, even with fairly high dice rolls, even with her Disarm skill maxed.
    @Isair yes as far as I can tell they are both running fine both installed. After doing some poking around I was informed that the shared files were IWDs music files accidently added to the BGR download.
  • SacherySachery Member Posts: 33
    There might be spoilers ahead!

Only bugs I seen in Durlag's Tower is the one with Islane in 2nd dungeon level a room with a bridge. But there is 2 ways to leave that level. So you dont even need to go into that room.

The chest event after 3nd dungeon dont start automatic for me, so I just go and talk to the king piece and the battle start. Easy battle, so no problem.

I have seen some item-holders some you cound not open, but all the ones with quest items and good items work 100% fine, so no problem.

In the start of the battle with the demon knight I cound not harm him, I try to solo him but did no damage and after some time I hit the mirror and 6 mobs spawn and my char get paralyzed, so rest of my party need to help. They killed the mobs and in some point in the fight I cound damage the demon knight. He might have some defensive spells on him, dont known for sure.

So no major bugs to block the way of a complete. You get good xp and items, so it is well worth the time to go there.
    @Sachery, hmm, maybe I'll reconsider and try it today. I'd like to get as much xp as possible before facing Sarevok, plus it would be nice to have a complete run with all possible areas finished and played.
    @Sachery, okay, I tried it, and I got stuck down there on the level where that mage woman blocks the bridge, and can't be hurt. There was no way to give up and leave, so that was the end of the run. Luckily, I had made a backup save from before I had gotten the four dwarves to unlock the bottom levels, so I only lost two hours or so worth of play.

What was the solution down there? I went through a mirror thing that trapped me on the other side of it, then through a maze. There was a door down, but it just generated undead clerics and mages and a really nasty poison cloud every time I clicked it. (I tried twice).

I took out the Morningstar and shield of Durlag's son, then killed the four dwarven guardians. I proceeded to the bridge, and encountered the bugged mage. The door on the other side of the bridge was locked. If I backtracked all the way, I would just come back to the mirror. Meanwhile, the bugged mage was going to be running around in there getting in our way forever.

I don't much care to try it again, as it's left a bad taste in my mouth, but I'm still curious. What was supposed to happen down there?
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Islane is marked as plot, which means she cant be harmed or killed. Its a bug they still haven't fixed yet. If you can, try to make your party invisible and just run past her and do the rest of the level.
    In the 2rd dungeon level, the room where you find a kiels helmet, there is 2 ways to go from there. 1 is Into a room with alot of handles and that is the way to islane. Second way is into a room fuld of traps and later into a room where there are a kind of teleportway, 2 urns I believe holding dwarven wardstone. After there, there is a room where there are locket doors, 2 I believe but your rogue can pickpock them and there you get a dwarven wardstone. Other way in that room leads to the room where the exit are in that area. After the room with the exit, is the room with the 4 dwarven guardians, and after that the room with islane. But you dont need to go into the room with Islane when you go the way I just talk about.

The room with the exit, I think there is you ways but 1 is a trap. You might need the dwarven wardstone behind the locket door in the room before to use the exit.

But when there is 2 ways to go, you dont need to go into the room with islane. I try to post a little map to show of the 2 ways, this map is from normal baldur's gate, but they have almost the same setup.

T1 T2 T3 T4 T5 T6 T8 T7 T10 the room where the exit are is betwem T8 and T10. You dont need T9 where Islane is in.
    I had to abandon Durlags, I’d reached the lower level & had one question remaining – The one involving the treasure room/Throne, which I couldn’t interact with. As much as I’d enjoy the fight, I couldn’t unlock it so I bailed with my horde.

The Isle of Wolf seems like it’ll be a more rewarding experience.
    @ReadingRambo Almost forgot, thanks! Let us know if you encounter any game breaking bugs, I have a feeling that since IWD is so linear any bugs could be quite debilitating.
    edited July 2013
    My thanks to all who tried to help me with Durlag's Tower. I don't think knowledge of the original game helps much down there. There are several important things that are different in BGR. I read in an original game walkthrough that there was supposed to be a true door across the room from the false one I was having trouble with, but it was sealed in my game. There's *some* way to do it, because some people have, but I can't find it, and I feel like I wasted half my day off trying, and having no fun at all.

Well, I have now been through the final battle about five times. It was kind of fun going through the maze to get there. The final battle itself seems impossible to win using any AI. I think that you would have to turn AI off and micromanage to the extreme to have any chance with it.

If you want to re-experience your original "fist-through-the-monitor" level of frustration with the final battle with Sarevok again, just like in 1998, then you're definitely going to want to progress a game to this version of the final battle, and beat your head against Sarevok's wall to you heart's content!

I went into it without Khalid, because he failed a save against Death from a save-or-die from the party just before the final battle. There was no way in Hades I was going to navigate back through that maze to get him raised.

The first time, I went in with the slider on "normal". My party quickly died, but it came down to me and Sarevok, and I had AC 38, and he was missing me a lot, so I thought I had won. But, it turns out that he has multiple Frenzies, not just one. And, he regenerates from Near Death to only Badly Wounded every time he activates a Frenzy.

I tried it four more times with the slider on "easy", with similar results.

This is the main thing that kept making me lose the game: DRINKING HEALTH POTIONS IS LIMITED. I think that's crazy, but that's what BGR does. After you drink about five of any health potion of any strength, the game starts saying "you may not use this item" when you click on a health potion.

Actually, I'm not sure if this limitation is coming from BGR itself, or from one of the mods that come with it. And, since it installs to your main game folder instead of to the override folder, I can't find any way to uninstall it except to do a total clean install of NWN2/MotB/SoZ, which I'm not really wanting to do right now. And, @Lemernis has had an issue where even a complete uninstall and clean re-install wouldn't get rid of the problems.

All in all, I have very mixed feelings about my experience with BGR. I've never been a huge fan of even the original Baldur's Gate end game, and BGR adds even more problems, so, it was fun for awhile, but I doubt I will play this again, because it's just too frustrating, and life is too short.

The work of the BGR developers is superlative, and the whole game is definitely worth at least one runthrough just to see all the amazing things the devs have done to port BGR to the NWN2 engine. I would only recommend that you do this if you have quite a bit of gaming time on your hands, however, as you will need to find workarounds for a myriad of balancing and technical problems.

I don't regret the week or two I've spent with BGR, as I have a lot of vacation time on my hands, but, my bottom line is that my feelings about BGR, are, as I said, very, very mixed.
    Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited July 2013
    As someone has noting planning your build appropriately is very important for NWN2. there is a very useful website which can help you with this;

http://nwn2db.com/index.php

I've been playing NWN2 for years now and have created many dozens of builds. If you want some pointers on good build mechanics let me know.

[Edit] Here is a quick throw together, a solid melee type with full rogue skills and one who can put Drizzts swords to good use.

http://nwn2db.com/build/?148178
    I had absolute no problems with the sarevok fight. My char take down Angelo and Semaj, Khalid tank Sarevok and the rest killed Tazok. With a little healing from Garrick and Jaheira to Khalid after Tazok died. All on Sarevok until his frenzy run out and he die.

I buff up with spells before the fight and I never play with AI on (like 100% control over my team). Jaheira uses her pet. I did not use any wands or buff portions. Khalid use 1 healing portion in the fight, before Jaheira and Garrick cast little healing on him. My char uses 1 lay on hands in the battle with Semaj.

I had not mind, to see a harder battle. Like buff Angelo, because he was very weak.

I had Jaheira, Khalid, Garrick, Dynaheir, Alora in my party in the end.

Difficulty was set on very hard.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    ...Its not often that I play a Halfling, but when I do it has to be a rogue, and it has to try to be a Shadow Thief of Amn aka Guild Thief.

Killer rats are killer. Killer Tarnesh is also killer. ...Actually, Narithya just bled out infront of the Friendly Arm Inn. Then I just put her in stealth mode and had Montaron tank him. lol. It didn't work though, she still got Magic Missile'd in the face, but instead of outright dying she had 1 hp left and drank a potion. :P
  • maneromanero Member Posts: 392
    I need few tips. My party consists of:

1. Aasimar paladin
    2. Khalid
    3. Jaheira
    4. Minsc
    5. Dynaheir
    6. Imoen

To be honest i barely know NVN2, Could you tell me some interesting ways to build up my characters?
    Actually, I'm not sure if my Aasimar pally was a good idea, in the end. I was able to do just fine, and have a lot of fun, until the final battle, and then I got my butt kicked. The one level penalty didn't really seem to hurt through the whole game, but, whether one more level could have made a difference at the end, I don't really know.

As for the others, I'd give Khalid Heavy Armor Optimization, and from there, I built him as a tank, but you could also build him as an archer. Really, you just have to read those feat descriptions carefully and make a plan.

Jaheira can get a dinosaur companion that I didn't take, so maybe that would have made a difference in the final battle.

I'd switch Imoen to wizard at her first level up, and then give her Able Learner for her first feat that you can choose. Then, spend all her skill points of Search, Disarm, Hide, Move Silently, and Open Locks, with any spare points going to Concentration, Spellcraft, and Tumble.

Everybody should keep Tumble maxed.

There are all kinds of guides available for NWN2. You might want to get to know the engine by playing at least part of the Original Campaign first, because it's very, very forgiving. BGR, on the other hand, is ruthless.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    @belgarathmth: I enjoyed reading about your playthrough. It's nice to see you put so much enthusiasm in the game and in writing about it. For a NWN2 noob however, it sounds like being a very hard game. Years ago I tried it out and stopped while still in the tutorial. Just bought it a month ago to play BGR, but it seems I must set the camera sensitivity to minimum, try dealing with the controls and learn a lot about the vanilla game, before I can start BG in 3D. Perhaps I'd better focus on Dragon Age's Baldur's Gate Redux. Alas it will still take years before that mod is complete, I think. They're still busy with Atkathla, only part really complete is Chateau Irenicus: http://dragonage.nexusmods.com/mods/1836/?
  • BorsookBorsook Member Posts: 152
    This would be great, but there is one thing killing it for me - no pause at the start of combat... is there anyway to mod that in or something?
    Just defeated Daevorn (never can remember how to spell his name) and it was quite difficult but enjoyable. My PC just got his first level of eldritch knight and Imoen arcane trixster. Been a blast! I've read the mod gets buggy after cloakwood but since my favorite chapters are 1-4 I consider it a success
    edited July 2013
    @ReadingRambo, there are not any game-breaking bugs post-Davaeorn, if you're careful.

-Don't bother with any quests in the Fishing Village. None of them are able to be completed or returned. This includes the farmer's son, the child cleric of Umberlee, and the ankheg bounty. There is *nothing* on the Fishing Village map that is worth your time. Go into the ankheg mound only if you want the treasure in there other than the farmer's son's body. Ankhegs themselves give only about 50 xp each, as opposed to the 1,000 that we're used to.

-Don't bother with any quests in Baldur's Gate City. They can be returned, but you won't get any experience for them.

-In order to gain access to Ulgoth's Beard and Durlag's Tower, you must speak to a town crier in the Gates district. He is invisible most of the time, even though you will constantly hear him crying "Hear ye, hear ye!" If you are not so lucky as to be able to see him (he is a Halfling, so look down), you will have to rest in the Gates district over and over, and fight off the undead who will appear. You must have just "awakened" from a rest in the town square before this all-important town crier will be visible, and you must awaken there at just the right hour. If you don't see him, you have to start resting over and over and over. Sooner or later, the "stars" will align, and you will be able to see him and to open up the last TotSC areas of the game.

-On Werewolf Island, you will be able to get xp for returning all the sub-quests, except for the one regarding the "blue lady" and the fisherman's brother. The "blue lady" does not drop the dead brother's body after you speak to her and give her the right answers. The other sub-quests are doable and returnable for xp.

-In Karoug's ship, be VERY careful. The only paths back down from any level of the ship have been mistakenly linked to placeable pallets that can be DESTROYED BY ANY AoE!. If you go into Karoug's ship, and any of your characters casts an AoE, you will be STUCK THERE FOREVER. Make sure that no one in your party has any AI access to Call Lightning, Fireball, or anything like that. As long as you are very careful that no one in your party casts any AoE for any reason, (just get rid of all such spells before you go into the ship), the scenario can be completed, for very lucrative xp.

-The baby in Karoug's ship has a tag that looks almost exactly like "paladin". You are likely to get confused and never "loot" the "baby". It's there, and you *can* "loot" it and get credit for the baby quest.

-Durlag's Tower is doable, but only with a lot of metagaming. You really need not bother with anything above the first floor. You can complete these floors, but you won't get any significant xp, and very little useable treasure from it.

-Going down in Durlag's Tower, you can complete Level One for a whole bunch of treasure and xp, right up until you defeat the Four Virtues/Vices and open up the path to Level Two. If you choose to go down to Level Two, be aware that you will get very little in return for your trouble there. IF you choose to go through the "mirror", then you are stuck. You have no way back out until you go all the way down and defeat the demon knight.

-Do not go to the farthest east bridge area of the Second Level. There is a bugged doppelganger there who is mistakenly marked as a quest character, and it cannot be damaged. If you are so unfortunate as to go to the bridge and aggro the bugged doppelganger, it will follow you around and attack you forever, and it will be very hard to find the way down to Level Three. (I never did, by the way. I reverted to a save from before I ventured past the "point of no return."

-The return to Candlekeep through the grand duke's ball and to the chasing of Sarevok to the Thieves' Guild runs pretty smoothly. You have virtually no chance of avoiding the Flaming Fist once you come back to BG, and the sewers are very confusing, and not as much of a solution as in the original game. I metagamed my way out by making a beeline to the pair in the sewer brothel, and then straight up to the grand dukes' palace. And even doing that, I only barely avoided the constant Flaming Fist on the surface by forcing conversations with plot npc's, such as the Grand dukes' palace invitation checker, and running away from Flaming Fist while refusing to let them force conversation with me. A few times, I had to duck quickly back into the sewers as soon as I had dared to emerge from them.

-The maze below the Thieves' Guild is engaging and fun, with no bugs. Once you get into the final battle area, be aware that the penultimate enemy party has a necromancer with save-or-die spells. I lost Khalid to her. Since I had no desire to backtrack through the LONG maze back where I could get him raised, I had to go into the final battle without my best tank.

-In the final battle, ALL BETS ARE OFF. There are no bugs, but, all Hell is going to break loose. Any of Tazok, Semaj, Angelo, or Sarevok are perfectly capable of wiping your party single-handedly, if you try to leave anything up to the AI.

I failed to beat it, after the whole game before the final battle had been pretty easy. The setting on the difficulty slider makes absolutely no difference. You may as well set it on "easy", for whatever little good that is going to do you.

You will have to turn off AI and micromanage every round with your party to have any chance here.

I would advise getting rid of every enemy except Sarevok, and saving the ultimate bigbad for last, since he has some tricks up his sleeve that are going to make him invulnerable to you anyway, and you will need every party member to finish him; and, any of Sarevok's allies can wipe most of your party on their own, while you cannot finish Sarevok.

Once Sarevok is alone, pray that you have at least a few of your party surviving. He has MULTIPLE Frenzies. (The few people who did this battle just right don't realize that he has quite a few more than one of these, since they were able to kill him after his first Frenzy.)

During a Frenzy, he cannot be killed. Even worse, when the Frenzy ends, he will heal from "Near Death", to merely "Badly Wounded". If you cannot kill him quickly from his post-Frenzy "Badly Wounded" state, he will activate another Frenzy. And after that, another one. I've seen him do it at least three times. I've never lived long enough to see if he has a fourth.

Even worse, he has seemingly unlimited Whirlwind Attacks. (Yes, it's just as bad as the ToB HLA version. Good luck surviving even one of them.)

The final battle is bad, bad, bad.

Many people have nevertheless beaten it, although I am not one of them. I think that the keys are to turn off AI and to micromanage round by round, and to have a really, really good dps capability to use on Sarevok after his first Frenzy (he won't activate the first one until he is at "Near Death" for the first time.) High dps spells for guaranteed hits are probably critical here.

Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
    Hmm I've encountered a bug where Yeslick doesn't gain xp, even via console. I doubt I will advance any further until that bug is addressed. Yeslick is probably my favorite NPC. I'm partial to dwarf clerics for some reason.

If/when that bug is ironed out ill progress the game, until then I've been replaying the OC which I haven't played in years. I figured out how to multi class companions via the campaign editor and have turned Neeska into a future arcane trickster. Might turn khelgar into a frenzied beserker. Hammer of ironfist plus all the berserker feats would be ridiculously awesome.
  • BlakeDrapetaBlakeDrapeta Member Posts: 21
    Not the biggest fan of the NWN2 engine, but I might give this a try providing that it's silent or has audio from BG ported over.

Not the biggest fan of the NWN2 engine, but I might give this a try providing that it's silent or has audio from BG ported over.

That's what really drew me in; the mod features all the original music and voices. It also incorporates a lot of NWN music to flesh out taverns and such.
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    Looks awesome... but I'm finding it very difficult to get into the NVN2 gameplay (bandit camp had me literally screaming in rage at the dumb AI - having freed the prisoners, I move towards the exit... But the would-be rescuees don't follow whilst getting pelted by a second group of archers; then, when I move to engage that group the rescuees do choose to follow me into range of a third group of archers - absolute genius!)
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    I wanted to play this so badly, but I can't locate one of my nvw disk.....it's a disaster.
    edited July 2013
    @ambrennan, I guess the topic isn't really supposed to be about the NWN2 OC, but, you have to kill all the bandits in that camp before you can rescue any hostages. I usually can get all the bandits killed in time to save at least three or four of them. There's an xp bonus if you get them all out alive, but I only ever accomplished that once, and it was without Tony K's AI, which was added by default in one of the updates.

Don't try to lead the hostages anywhere. Focus on killing bandits. Try to split your party to keep the bandit groups fighting you instead of firing at hostages. I usually send Khelgar after one group, and Neeshka after another, while I hang back near the hostages, and attack the first bandit(s) I see who is free and moves into position to start firing at the hostages. Watch the directions from which arrows or bolts are flying.

The following applies to both the OC and BGR:

Does everyone know how to control the party while still making use of AI? Right-click hold on the ground, and a menu will come up with important commands: Attack Nearest, Guard Me, Stand Your Ground, Follow Me (without attacking). Also, you can increase convenience by pressing "V" for "voicechat" on your keyboard. This will bring up menus that contain the same four important party commands, and the command icons here can be click-dragged onto your quick action bar.