Skip to content

Firebead's quest - Thethoril will not give the scroll

Comments

• jakaminskijakaminski Member Posts: 100
    Thanks, much appreciated.
  • blazeheroicblazeheroic Member Posts: 37
    Hi, I started a new game, got through all the prologue quests but the Firebead's scroll quest and went to talk to Tethtoril. All he said was the usual "Gorion is waiting for you". I figured it might be a glitch with the character so I restarted and did that first, same problem. Has anybody else had this problem or does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks in advance.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    This will be fixed in the next patch; unfortunately there's no simple way to fix it on the iPad.
  • blazeheroicblazeheroic Member Posts: 37
    Do you happen to know when they will be releasing the next patch? Like is it in a week, or two, or a month? Thanks again
    There's a handy answer in the FAQ, here.

But the short answer is "when it's ready to be released". We're focusing on testing at the moment, which means it could be very close to being ready or there could be a bit of work that still needs to be done.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Dee said:

it could be very close to being ready or there could be a bit of work that still needs to be done

This is the most vague statement I've seen in years.
    You may or may not be right or wrong about that, depending on..."things".

;)
  • TyrisenTyrisen Member Posts: 1
    Dee said:

You may or may not be right or wrong about that, depending on..."things".

;)

LOL You've got a great sense of humor Dee.
    Judging by the date of your post, however, we may have a few more weeks yet till patch release. I'm really looking forward to having the game pristine :) Thanks for all your hard work guys <3
  • MazkarelMazkarel Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but for an iPad workaround (if you are unable to pick pockets to complete the quest) you can create your character in The Black Pits, purchase an Identify scroll, export said character, and restart your game providing that purchased scroll to Firebead to complete the quest.
  • EcononEconon Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2013
    Ok, I have come up with my own fix. Just copy the TETHTO.dlg into the override folder.

I created the fix in NearInfinity by editting the TETHTO.dlg 3rd state trigger from Global("TalkedToFirebead","GLOBAL",1) to Global("HelpFirebead","GLOBAL",1), and the problem was solved. Also I will attach my own Dialog.tlk for know reason but accidently copying it to the rar file.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Econon said:

Ok, I have come up with my own fix.

That is exactly how I fixed it, as well. I don't wait for other people to come up with fixes or patches, either, especially when I can do it myself.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I wonder how many people will post a fix to the same bug on this thread before the next patch comes out (assuming that the current legal troubles are resolved)? We're at 4 and counting.
    [Deleted User]Edwin
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    Can someone please post a patch so I can get the scroll from Tethtoril?
    [Deleted User]TJ_Hooker
  • SojournerSojourner Member Posts: 42
    Econon said:

Ok, I have come up with my own fix. Just copy the TETHTO.dlg into the override folder.

The only override folder on my PC is for Dragon Age. Where is this folder supposed to exist for BGEE?
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    @Sojourner - It depends a little on if you used the stand-alone installer or the Beamdog client but on my computer it is at: C:\Games\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\override
    If it is missing you can create it manually in the 00766 folder.
    Turns out this problem was exacerbated by Win7's useless search futility. (When it doesn't work, it is not a UTility, but a FUTility).

I did finally find where it was supposed to go - the problem was that I had done a search on 00766 and the Win 7 search kept telling me it didn't exist. However, after finding the post on this forum that told me where the file was SUPPOSED to be, I knew that it was, in fact, actually there. So I became diverted trying to fix the Win7 search problem.

I discovered that the OS was not indexing C drive so I thought indexing that would solve the Win7 search problem. After setting it up that way and rebuilding the index, hours later I discovered that Win 7 search now found every file of the 175,000+ on my however-many-TB hard drive that had a 00766 anywhere in the file OR in the contents. (think binary files as well as text only).

This was thousands of files and made it very difficult to find the ONE I actually wanted. I became highly annoyed.

After many many hours more of trying to make Win7 search act like a normal, usable, useful search, I discovered that this is not possible, not without learning a bunch of search terms that you have to type in by hand. If I wanted to do a command line search, I'd do a command line search - a GUI-based search utility that doesn't give me an easy way to perform the action I want without resorting to command-line-like commands just pisses me off. Plus there is no documentation anywhere about these new file search commands you have to use to make the file search actually work.

Also found out that indexing the entire drive is a bad idea. Which pretty much makes indexing totally useless. Backing out the changes to indexing options put me right back at square one - total failure on Win 7's part to find a file that actually does exist.

So I installed Agent Ransack. In less than a second, in a file search that does not rely on indexing, it found the file I was actually looking for with way less trouble than trying to make Win 7 do it.

Searching problem solved. Back to solving BGEE problem, it also was now rapidly solved.

And a heads up to all Win 7 users out there - don't trust the Win 7 search Futility. Just because it tells you something isn't there doesn't mean it isn't there.

Here is the relevant post on this forum that told me where the file is supposed to go, for the many different installation flavors:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8317/how-to-tweak-your-game
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Tell me about it. :/ Never could get Windows 7 to search properly. Just crazy ~_~

And it never will. Just get Agent Ransack or one of the other free search utilities. There are bunches of them. There have to be - a search utility is just a basic need that MUST be met. Too bad MicroSloth doesn't understand that.
    mlnevese[Deleted User]
  • AdventSignAdventSign Member Posts: 96
    It seems that I cannot finish the quest after I talk to Tethtoril (he doesn't give me an Identify scroll that allows me to finish it). Anybody else have this bug? Is there a work around for it?
  • LodanLodan Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    Dee said:

This will be fixed in the next patch; unfortunately there's no simple way to fix it on the iPad.

Bought the game yesterday (iPad), played 30 minutes or so. Started the storyline today, but it seems Tethtoril wont talk to me.
    I guess I'll have to roll with it... :-/
    It's understandable that stumbling upon a bug like this within the 1st 10 minutes of the game is making me worried for the rest that have yet to come.

Oh well...

• belaurdanbelaurdan Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, sorry for being a bit thick, but how do i actually use the fix??
  • belaurdanbelaurdan Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your help. It doesn't seem to work, I'm playing on a pc does this make any difference?
  • abdel56abdel56 Member Posts: 8
    Has the Firebead Elvenhair scroll quest ever been fixed?
  • abdel56abdel56 Member Posts: 8
    I have version 1.02.6.2 is this the latest version? If so I still can't get the scroll either?
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    edited September 2013
    Yes.
    (It's also included in the BG:EE unofficial fix pack for v2014)
  • RellinRellin Member Posts: 28
    Qbert said:

Melchior said:

A workaround if you have enabled the Console, type
    CLUAConsole:CreateItem("SCRL75")
    into the console to get an identify scroll and then talk to Firebead.

okay this worked for me on OSX Thanks Melchior.
    Thanks, works like a charm.

• NozomiNozomi Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    I downloaded the fix. There is no override folder in Baldur's Gate directory (I have it on steam). I looked for the right directory of override folder and create it, i closed the game before it. Then i started a new game , but still have same problem.
    What can i do?

I have Windows7 64x

And also tried to create directory Data/00766, or Data/00766/override but it doesn't work either.

-----------

Well, i did the clua console stuff and it worked for me.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8317/how-to-tweak-your-game

Console command for scroll is;

CLUAConsole:CreateItem("SCRL75")
    Post edited by Nozomi on