Skip to content

Any tricks for fighting Kahrk?

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
This maybe a case of 'a battle too soon'... In my Vanilla run, I did the west coast of Sirines before exploring the wild lands east of Beregost, so was significantly more experienced and better equipped by the time I came across mighty Kahrk near the Firewine Ruins. This time, for my EE run, I have been exploring the east first, before heading to the coast, and then northwards to deal with the bandits.

Anyway my party (Canon NPCs) is mostly level 4 or 5. In terms of Arcane spells, I only have Dynaheir, who is just short of level 5, so can only use lv 1 and lv 2 spells. Jaheira has just reached lv5 for Cleric spells. My charname (Jin) is a lv 4/4 Fighter/Mage, wearing Drizzt's armour and wielding Twinkle, so he is not using any spells at all.

My problem with Kahrk is that he is immune to magic, so I cannot cc him with Web, or cause consistent damage and magic disruption with Magic Missile. Archery, with normal or enchanted arrows seems totally ineffective, and I cannot hit regularly enough with melee attacks from Minsc, Khalid and Jin to reliably disrupt Kahrk's spell casting. Kahrk's melee attacks (or possibly spells) appear to cause acid damage, which I cannot cure, he hits hard enough to kill any one of my three warriors even with Jaheira constantly healing him from behind.

Oh, prior to the battle, Jaheira cast Bless on the party and 'Barkskin' on all three warriors. Khalid drank Potion of Heroism and Jin drank Potion of Ice Giant Strength. Even with all this preparation, Kahrk has defeated my party three times already... I really do not remember him being so powerful in Vanilla...

My EE run has gone well so far and this is the first battle I am apparently stuck on. Is there anything I have missed? Any obvious weaknesses I do not know about? I would really prefer not to have to leave him and come back later (from a challenge and RP perspective.)

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Hrm~ Summon a horde of monsters? Use a Scroll of Dispel Magic since you're not high enough to cast it yourself yet?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Summoning a horde of monsters is clearly not a solution at present.

What spells does Dynaheir have?

Does Jaheira still have the invisibility potion she started out with?
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited July 2013
    scroll of destroying spell protections + web
    or
    dispell from jaheira without stoneskin your fighters will rip him apart
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    At lvl 5 against Khark i doubt the dispel magic to be succeful, if you have a priest with lvl 3 spell avaliable use raise dead (from the OP i know your party consist of Jaheira/Khalid, Minsc/Dynaheir and i guess imoen, but if not...).

Frost wands should behave as lvl 5 spells if i'm not wrong, thus they would bypass Kahrk minor globe. Spell Thrust (lvl 3 wizard magic protection removal spell) is avaliable at lvl 3, and it take off minor globe of invulnerability). If Acid and fire are Karhrk main damages, you could use protection from acid/fire scrolls (you find many of those during the game and have few moments to use them).
  • ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    Wait for the spells to expire? Summon something and run really fast; if there is nothing else, engage him with one fighter, retreat, wait, to back and kill him, then raise the dead later.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    1.) He isn't immune to magic, he has minor globe up that makes him immune to all level 1-3 spells.

2.) You can buy a protection from magic scroll at high hedge, or get one from the guy that heals you at the coast (The one with the ship). Use the scroll on one of your fighters and let him walk up and beat on Khark, he will use all of his spells on you and you'll take no damage from them. Once he runs out of spells then introduce the rest of your party. Just remember that he hits like a truck aswell, but it's much easier to fight him when he doesn't have spells.
    AndreaColombo
    edited July 2013
    just leave him for now and come back when you are ready with new spells

or arrows of dispelling i can't remember if they are available at high hedge but if they are you will dispell him with arrow
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited July 2013
    elminster said:

Summoning a horde of monsters is clearly not a solution at present.

What spells does Dynaheir have?

Does Jaheira still have the invisibility potion she started out with?

Right, I'm gonna have another go now... might try that scroll of Magic Protection. I do have invisibility potions... but no idea what I can do with those...

Dynaheirs current spells are:

lv1: Armor, Blindness, Burning Hands, Chill Touch, Chromatic Orb, Color Spray, Find Familiar, Infravision, Larloch's Minor Drain, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil, Protection from Petrification, Shocking Grasp.

lv2: Ghoul Touch, Glitterdust, Horror, Resist Fear, Stinking Cloud, Strength and Web.

Incidentally, Dynaheir's spell restrictions seem much less severe in EE compared to Vanilla.

Update:

Oh yes I did it! Turns out I did not even have a Scroll of Magic Protection. In my first try today I tried throwing all my Potion of Explosions of Oil of Fiery Burning at him, whilst engaging him in melee with my PC, who was wearing a ring that gave 40% fire resistance... So that was a bad idea, I barely injured Kahrk and crippled charname.

I told myself 'one more try and I'll give up'. Drank strength potions and cast bless and went in again. Charname, Minsc and Khalid somehow managed to cut him down, with Jaheira healing Khalid, who was the main target of his spells. I guess I was just lucky this time, chunked him with a critical hit for 24 dmg.
    Post edited by Heindrich on
    they probably hit him many times really fast destroying mirror images/stone skins
    after mages spells are destroyed they are really vulnerable
    With the invisibility potion I was just thinking you could have one character interact with him and then go invisible. That would allow you to wait until his protections run out. The scroll idea would work too.
    elminster said:

With the invisibility potion I was just thinking you could have one character interact with him and then go invisible. That would allow you to wait until his protections run out. The scroll idea would work too.

Ah... I see... Yeah I really haven't mastered the intricacies of the D&D magic system yet. My use of magic is pretty basic at the moment.
    'Ouch I am hurt!' ... 'Heal!'
    'Wow big mob of Kobold Commandos!'... 'Fireball!'

elminster
    Minor Globe of Invulnerability last 1 round/level. Kahrk is level 12 technically, so while that means you are hanging around for like 72 seconds waiting for it to run out it is a viable strategy. Not ideal but it does work.
    if he is 12 level it is hard to dispell him
    you need 6th level inquisitor and he will only have 50% chance
    10th level bard only 40% chance
    lol
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @zur312 Err, don't arrows of dispelling always have a 100% dispel rate? (I don't know. I never use them.(I'm a pack rat.))
    dunno
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253

My charname (Jin) is a lv 4/4 Fighter/Mage, wearing Drizzt's armour and wielding Twinkle, so he is not using any spells at all.

You managed to kill dritzz? at level 4-5?

Anyway, you need to get rid of his Minor Globe, spell thrust is the key here, so clean the bandit camp, pick the spell and come back

Dexter said:

My charname (Jin) is a lv 4/4 Fighter/Mage, wearing Drizzt's armour and wielding Twinkle, so he is not using any spells at all.

Anyway, you need to get rid of his Minor Globe, spell thrust is the key here, so clean the bandit camp, pick the spell and come back

Killing Drizzt was the only evil thing my do-gooders party ever did, and was only achieved with maximum cheese. I don't consider it to have happened from a RP perspective, and just imagined that mighty Elminster gifted the hero with some powerful items to aid him in his perilous quest.

(I kinda wish Drizzt was never in this game, but the allure of 12k xp and 2 awesome items is too hard to resist!)
    meagloth
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    Tresset said:

1. Go to Baldur's Gate.
    2. Get Arrow of Slaying.
    3. Shoot Arrow.
    4. Done.

^ This

Easy method 2:

1.) Give Minsc boots of speed/use speed oils or haste
    2.) Have him lead Kahrk to the nearby cliff edge
    3.) Use ranged attacks/magic missile for spell disruption until spells are all gone
    4.) Have Minsc run circles around the ogre and taunt his evil nature
    5.) Have everyone else use ranged attacks and whittle the beast down.
    6.) Taunt Kahrk's decaying corpse for forgetting dimension door
    7.) Profit
    elminster
  • eckistereckister Member Posts: 37
    well .... there is a multitude of ways. one is to have Carsa summon him and sleep (he summons a few steps away from her, so if you started the conversation with Carsa being at the edge of your view range, Kahrk will not see you and wont approach you neither). that will make all of his protection spells run out and you can punish him with ranged weapons and spells.
    another way is to have Kahrk aggro on your mage, who cast mirror image on themselves. thus you will have some time to beat him up in melee (around 3-5 spells, granted you have 3 mirror images and since the last spells in his reservoire are magic missiles). I used this method, since the first seamed a bit cheaty... :-)
    another way is to use arrows of dispelling and slaying (in that order), but I didnt try this out yet, since I use the first two methods and have managed to kill Kahrk with lvl 5- chars...
    another way would be to give a scroll of dispell a shot...
    personally - I dont find him to be THAT much of a problem, but then again I use BG 1 as a way to get rank 25 stats. :-D couple that with an experience cap remover and my games tend to leave me with OP characters after some 3 playthroughs (as far as BG 1 is concerned)... :-)
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    Heindrich said:

Dexter said:

Killing Drizzt was the only evil thing my do-gooders party ever did, and was only achieved with maximum cheese. I don't consider it to have happened from a RP perspective, and just imagined that mighty Elminster gifted the hero with some powerful items to aid him in his perilous quest.

(I kinda wish Drizzt was never in this game, but the allure of 12k xp and 2 awesome items is too hard to resist!)
    Wait!

2 awesome items?

What happened to the other scimitar?

(If you are going to kill the greatest hero of the current era of the FR w/ a good party, you wouldn't want to WASTE anything.)
  • eckistereckister Member Posts: 37
    well ... true, but then again - the mithral chain didnt work right in BG1. now that you mention it - I am getting curious wether they fixed that... :-) poor drizzt... :-D
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    Ah, but Heindrich said in the note above that his CHARNAME was WEARING Drizzt's armor, and wielding Twinkle. Then later he said that it was the lure of TWO powerful magic items that tempted the party into vile (and remarkably early, remarkably successful) murder. So where is Defender??
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    Wand of Frost only hits him once but with twice damage. Potion of Fire Breath also hits him.
    lolien
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited September 2014
    I killed him using a lot of cheese. The method depends on hitting him while he attempts to cast the globe and interrupting his casting so it fails. If he manages to cast it, reload. Once that happens the rest is easy and just hacking him to death.

I also like to use the Wand of Paralyzation at the start of the battle. If he fails his save, then he just stands there defenseless.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    My solo clerics had fun with this fight... skellies and a trusty sling, the Cleric's best friends. Was probably lvl 5 or 6, so he's beatable, but very tough. He was harder than I remembered him being, and when my Assassin tried to cheeseball him by running into Firewine he spawned a duplicate. :o soloing him is rough enough with one of him!
  • MrBungleMrBungle Member Posts: 50
    I think Kahrk has globe of invulnerability not minor GOI. Spell thrust did not work for me. You would likely need a 5th level abjuration spell, which is unavailable in BGEE1. I am going to try trapping him with my bounty hunter. will post how it goes.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Tresset said:

1. Go to Baldur's Gate.
    2. Get Arrow of Slaying.
    3. Shoot Arrow.
    4. Done.

Have you actually tried this? Last time I tried this strategy the arrow was ineffective despite trying numerous times to make sure it hit.

Probably blocked by stoneskin I guess.
    Wowo said:

Tresset said:

1. Go to Baldur's Gate.
    2. Get Arrow of Slaying.
    3. Shoot Arrow.
    4. Done.

Have you actually tried this? Last time I tried this strategy the arrow was ineffective despite trying numerous times to make sure it hit.

Nah I tried it a few times and it worked for me. Even after he had Protection from Normal Missiles up.
    lolien
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited February 2015
    Wowo said:

Tresset said:

1. Go to Baldur's Gate.
    2. Get Arrow of Slaying.
    3. Shoot Arrow.
    4. Done.

@Wowo That sounds like an SCS thing. I have heard that SCS Prot. from Normal Missiles will stop the arrow of slaying.

And yes, I do that all the time.
    lolien