Skip to content

[Request] PnP bonuses for high INT and WIS scores

Comments

• DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    What kind of status ailment is 'Quest' though that you'd want to be immune to questing.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    @Kore

I don't see those immunities breaking the game. INT and WIS scores so high are only available to monsters, and to CHARNAME later in the game (and CHARNAME will never get to 25 in any stat without cheating).
    If I roll and 18, use a Wis Tome, Lum's Machine and an Ioun Stone of +1 Wis which I believe exists, all I need is an insight potion (or whichever 1 is +4 Wis) to suddenly laugh at any mage.

Although, why would anyone want wisdom enough to be immune to questing?
    With the correct race, all three tomes, lums machine and the ioun stone you can get 24 easily and wisdom potions are pretty abundant.
    If I'm not mistaken, its the potion that gives intelligence that actually adds to the score, the potion of wisdom sets it at 18.
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    @Kore

I don't see those immunities breaking the game. INT and WIS scores so high are only available to monsters, and to CHARNAME later in the game (and CHARNAME will never get to 25 in any stat without cheating).
    If I roll and 18, use a Wis Tome, Lum's Machine and an Ioun Stone of +1 Wis which I believe exists, all I need is an insight potion (or whichever 1 is +4 Wis) to suddenly laugh at any mage.

Although, why would anyone want wisdom enough to be immune to questing?
    With the correct race, all three tomes, lums machine and the ioun stone you can get 24 easily and wisdom potions are pretty abundant.
    If I'm not mistaken, its the potion that gives intelligence that actually adds to the score, the potion of wisdom sets it at 18.
    Ah yes, you're right. My point about being able to get 24 still stands though, and it's possible to start BG2 with 22 and ToB with 24.
  • nulspacenulspace Member Posts: 100
    @AndreaColombo, could a middle-ground be reached wherein high WIS and INT give bonuses, but those bonuses start at a higher level than you listed? Like at WIS/INT of 20 or 21 instead of 19...
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    @nulspace

A few P&P bonuses is better than none.

However, as the rules lawyer I am, I would much prefer a full implementation of P&P rules. After all, by making those bonuses start at higher scores, you would basically be parting but with the smaller / weaker bonuses.
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
    @AndreaColombo

Another great suggestion Andrea, I too am a rule lawyer and I'd love them to implement that. As you said though it'll probably have to be through some mod unfortunately due to lack of time. Hopefully we'll have a system similar to this for BG3 though.

Also I haven't played tabletop DND in quite a few years but wasn't there saving throw bonuses according to intelligence as well as the other things you mentioned?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I think saving throw bonuses only came along with 3E, but I'm not sure.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Wisdom was the ability that gave a bonus to saving throws, I believe. I don't recall how much of a bonus it granted, though.
    As per my previous post listing the P&P effects of high INT and WIS scores:

"In P&P, WIS also grants a Magical Defense Adjustment that ranges from +1 for a score of 15 to a maximum of +4 for scores of 19 or higher. It is a bonus to saving throws against spells that attack the mind, like beguilling, charm, fear, hypnosis, illusions, possession, suggestion etc."

INT doesn't grant any bonus to any saving throw.

However, I believe something as specific as the Magical Defense bonus could be quite hacky / time consuming to implement, and would therefore be better left to modders. In fact, my request to make this soft-coded stands regardless of whether P&P bonuses for high INT and WIS are implemented by the devs. I would like them to do so, and to do so as thoroughly as they can, but it's fine if they leave something - or even everything - for modders to do in this department, so long as it was soft-coded and therefore moddable.
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
    I'm not very knowledgable in programming, does anyone know how hard it would be for them to implement these rules to BGEE? I would LOVE if it happened without need for a mod. It would make the game so much more complex and interesting. As it is, BG is mostly all about fighters. High Str. and Con. gets the job done best so Minsc is pretty much the best character since he's got the best average of these two stats. Having these rules implemented would balance things out a bit since he's got a wisdom of 6 and thus would be more susceptible to harmful spells. It would also be great when rolling your PC because you would end up with a more realistic looking character sheet since having a wis. and int. of three would give severe maluses to spell resists and such. Then all that would need to be worked on would be the benefits of charisma... I'll start a new thread for that
    @AzL0n

The only reason why I didn't include CHA in this thread is that its P&P benefits are very hard, if not at all impossible, to implement in BG:EE. Getting lower prices and nicer reactions from NPCs are better solutions than P&P, in this case.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599

Either implement it or make it soft-coded so that modders could easily take care of it.
    Completely agree. This is just another instance of a PnP implementation that would undoubtedly improve the game. I really hope that if they don't/can't take care of it that they'll heed your suggestion and make it soft-coded.
  • carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    edited November 2012
    This may be in the fixpack or it may not even be a bug, but I'll mention it while it is on my mind:
    observed behaviour: Actually it's in the manual, in the BG1 manual it mentions wisdom affecting saving throws (I think), but it never actually implements that. I'm not sure what the rules have to say about it, but I do think that it should be a more influental stat!
    what should happen: I don't know, whatever the rules say?

EDIT: this also ties in with other missing documented stuff, like racial saving throw bonuses, which I think the g3 fixpack covers. I'll take it for granted that noone needs to reupload g3 fixes on this forum...
    Post edited by Balquo on
    Hmm, first time I've heard about this being a bug.

There is a Feature request to enhance Wisdom though.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    This is from the BG1 manual:

Wisdom:
    Mag Def Adj: Applies to saving throws against magical spells that
    attack the mind.
    Bonus Spells: This is the number of additional spells a priest
    receives for exceptional Wisdom. The bonus spells are cumulative as
    you move down the table. Thus, a priest with a 17 in Wisdom gains
    two 1st-, two 2nd-, and one 3rd-level spell as bonuses to their normal
    spellcasting abilities. These spells become available only when the
    priest can normally access spells of the appropriate level.
    % Spell Failure: The chance that a spell attempt by a priest or druid
    character will fail before being successfully cast.
    Lore Bonus: This bonus is added to the character’s Lore ability.
    This is cumulative with the Lore bonus for Intelligence.

The Baldur's Gate 2 manual has an identical table to the one corresponding this quote, which is just a saving throw bonus (or penalty) for mind-affecting spells from -3 at 3 WIS up to +4 at 18-25 WIS.

This is what the Player's Handbook says about Wisdom:
    Wisdom
    Wisdom (Wis) describes a composite of the character's enlightenment, judgment, guile, willpower, common sense, and intuition. It can affect the character's resistance to magical attack. It is the prime requisite of priests; those with a Wisdom score of 16 or higher gain a 10% bonus to experience points earned. Clerics, druids, and other priests with Wisdom scores of 13 or higher also gain bonus spells over and above the number they are normally allowed to use.
    Magical Defense Adjustment listed on Table 5 applies to saving throws against magical spells that attack the mind: beguiling, charm, fear, hypnosis, illusions, possession, suggestion, etc. These bonuses and penalties are applied automatically, without any conscious effort from the character.
    Bonus Spells indicates the number of additional spells a priest (and only a priest) is entitled to because of his extreme Wisdom. Note that these spells are available only when the priest is entitled to spells of the appropriate level. Bonus spells are cumulative, so a priest with a Wisdom of 15 is entitled to two 1st-level bonus spells and one 2nd-level bonus spell.
    Chance of Spell Failure states the percentage chance that any particular spell fails when cast. Priests with low Wisdom scores run the risk of having their spells fizzle. Roll percentile dice every time the priest casts a spell; if the number rolled is less than or equal to the listed chance for spell failure, the spell is expended with absolutely no effect whatsoever. Note that priests with Wisdom scores of 13 or higher don't need to worry about their spells failing.
    Spell Immunity gives those extremely wise characters complete protection from certain spells, spell-like abilities, and magical items as listed. These immunities are cumulative, so that a character with a Wisdom of 23 is immune to all listed spells up to and including those listed on the 23 Wisdom row.

So obviously there are some bonuses to wisdom that aren't in the games (such as the XP gain that was present in PS:T), but the saving throw adjustment tables in the manuals are identical to the one in the player's handbook, I'm not entirely sure if this was implemented in the game, I've never looked into it.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    It would be nice to see the Wis-related save bonuses (listed in the BG1manual back in the day) finally implemented.

Also, shameless bump.
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136
    Tanthalas said:

Is it normal for Paladins and Rangers to not get bonus priest spells with wisdom and capping out at being able to memorize only 3 spells of level 1, 2 and 3?

Yessir. That is in the manual.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited August 2012
    It always made me sad when I rolled up a cleric who after a period of time managed to get to 19 Wisdom but never gained any of the mind immunities they should gain. Is it possible to add this in without breaking balance?

Here are the spell immunities which should be gained;

19 Wis - cause fear, charm person, command, friends, hypnotism
    20 Wis - forget, hold person, ray of enfeeblement, scare
    21 Wis - fear
    22 Wis - charm monster, confusion, emotion, fumble, suggestion
    23 Wis - chaos, feeblemind, hold monster, magic jar, quest
    24 Wis - geas, mass suggestion, rod of rulership
    25 Wis - antipathy/sympathy, death spell, mass charm

There is a similar Illusion immunity granted for a high Int as well.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    edited August 2012
    Awesome - thanks for that.
    I fully agree these changes should be implemented if possible. It made me a very sad panda when my dwarven cleric didn't receive any benefits from a high Wisdom other than some bonus spells.

And bump...
    Merged the similar threads.
    @decado - OOTS rules =D
    @AndreaColombo - My fave too, reminds me I have have a couple of weeks to catch up on :)
  • brynbryn Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2012
    Correct me if I'm wrong but in Baldur's gate wisdom was meant to affect the success of casting wisdom based spells and give a magic defense adjustment. Is this fixed in the enhanced edition?
    Post edited by Bhryaen on
  • MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 13
    hehe, i always thought wisdom was only good for clerics and the use of wish spells ^^
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    @bryn
    It's not a bug to be fixed, but it's a great request... and one that's already been made as @Anton mentioned... Merging with the Request thread...