Skip to content

What is your least favorite section/aspect of BG1 and why?

So there are a lot of threads about best and most favorites. What I am curious about is what sections of the game do you like the least. What sections do you get through as quickly as possible so that you can get back to enjoying the rest of the game?

To be clear, I am not talking about a particular NPC that you don't enjoy or a class that you choose not to play because those things are eminently avoidable. The focus should be something that you simply can't (or choose not to) get around.

For me, it would have to be the opening section where you start out in Candlekeep. I always feel like, in order to get the most out of the game, I HAVE to do everything that I can there. I go the full circuit of the keep and talk to everyone (even though I know what they are going to say). I fight both assassins and kill the rats. I even save the cow and fetch both the book and the sword for the idiots who are to lazy to do it for themselves. Even though I can technically just equip up and then go straight to Gorion, I still end up playing it out as thoroughly as I can.

Comments

• EleutherosEleutheros Member Posts: 70
    For me it's upon entering Baldur's Gate, with the poison-quest. I hate it when the game forces me to do something, even though I realize that it is good for immersion. I guess I just like the feeling that I can do everything I want when I want to...
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I don't like starting at level 1 in D20 games in general prior to Star Wars Saga Edition and 4E D&D, which both give you a good chunk of hit points to start with. Starting with at best 10 HP on all but the hardiest of characters is rough, and having to resort to a ranged weapon when I want to be swinging around a greatsword in order to not get killed by a couple wolves is grating.

I definitely agree about the starting area, though, @the_spyder, because unless you can pick locks there isn't much of a reward to sticking around too long. It's very different from Chateau Irenicus where fully exploring has a lot of benefit in loot and xp.
  • chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86
    -Firewine Ruins/Ulcaster - narrow corridors combined with an obnoxious respawn rate
    -The final battle - I wish it felt like an epic last battle instead of almost always ending with me spamming summon monster spells
    -Any area where the respawn rate is obnoxiously high (skeletons in the Candlekeep catacombs, hobgoblins in Safana's area)
    -The general fact that Sarevok has such a small presence in the game. Sure, he's smart to focus on bigger plans instead of chasing you all around the Sword Coast, but the fact that you don't even know his name until about the halfway point of the game makes for some weak storytelling.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,157
    The second sub-level of Durlag's Tower is just tedious to me. The first time, or two, it was a lot of fun, and I think very highly of the whole tower design. BUT, I've played through so many times now, and having to detect and disarm traps constantly, or play games with doors opening and closing throughout, well it just isn't so thrilling on the 15th play through...

Shin above mentioned Firewine ruins which I had forgotten. I guess that really wins the prize for least favorite part of the game. But I usually just ignore it anymore (except for the quick run in through the back door in Gullykin). It is the only part of the game, apart from some "evil" quests that I will just never do, that I routinely ignore.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 880

For me it's upon entering Baldur's Gate, with the poison-quest. I hate it when the game forces me to do something, even though I realize that it is good for immersion. I guess I just like the feeling that I can do everything I want when I want to...

You can avoid this entirely simply by killing Marek and Lothander as soon as you encounter them. Not only will you avoid the poison quest entirely, but you will obtain an extra pair of boots of speed. There is no reputation penalty for killing them.

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Chapter 7 wandering around baldur's gate and avoiding flaming fist guards is pretty stressful. Also even in completionist playthroughs I normally skip firewine bridge, and often ulcaster
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    For BG1 and me, it's gotta be Durlag's Tower. I hate it so much, I've never even played it all the way through. On the other hand, I like Werewolf Island so much, I play that on every run. Really, Werewolf Island is the climax of the game for me. I'm not a fan of the rundown to the final battle or the final battle itself. That whole sequence is just something I occasionally force myself to go through so I can say I finished the game.

For BG2, the entire Underdark sequence is something I just grit my teeth and get through. Same with the Beholder Lair. And pretty much everything in the last third of Throne of Bhaal.

As you can tell, I have a strong preference for low-level play. Give me beautiful outdoor scenery and goblins, hobgoblins, and orcs to fight.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 880
    I find the Nashkel mines a bit tedious. Anything else that I find similarly tedious (e.g., Firewine dungeon) is avoidable, but you can't progress in the game without clearing the Nashkel mines of their annoying kobolds.

I dislike the 'tour' aspect of Durlag's Tower (with Ike as the guide, etc.). It destroys immersion for me, as it just seems too goofy. However, it can be ignored -- you can do the entire tower and dungeon without ever talking to Ike -- so it's not a huge problem.
    atcDave said:

The second sub-level of Durlag's Tower is just tedious to me. The first time, or two, it was a lot of fun, and I think very highly of the whole tower design. BUT, I've played through so many times now, and having to detect and disarm traps constantly, or play games with doors opening and closing throughout, well it just isn't so thrilling on the 15th play through...

I too find this level somewhat tedious.
  • TetrapusTetrapus Member Posts: 17
    @Thrasymachus similarily, I abhor the nashkel mines. There isn't any real challenge, except for that one trap on that bridge, or a random fire arrow one-shotting a squishy. But conversely, I love the tour part of Durlag's Tower. But I am a sucker for cheesy, over-the-top, old-school geeky things like that. :P
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    edited July 2013
    While I find the game the pinnacle of story telling and adventure. My biggest issue is game mechanics itself. I know almost all of these cannot be changed with contract or game limitations, but if the impossible became possible...

1. Random loot drops - Silke ALWAYS has a quaterstaff +1. Why not darts, or a dagger, or a sling, or throwing daggers? Guy 'X' always has loot 'Y'. This would definitly help with meta-gaming and a nice touch to add replayablility. I obviously don't want this to be like WoW or MMOish, but variety is the spice of life so they say.

2. Dual Wielding/Range Weapon Swap - Insert 384821 threads about this feature.

3. Option to Use Old Cinematics - I like them, nicely well done with the limited budget. Though sometimes you get the urge to watch the old ones instead of looking at pictures. Insert the other 32132 threads here.

4. Spell Casting Time - I understand the game is in rounds and spell casting is already the most over-powered mechanic in the game, but I wanna cast spells like Irenicus or Gorion. F%#$ing whipping those babies out like a bat outta hell. *drools*

5. Sorcerers Spell Unlearning - I've been spoiled by 3.5e and Sorcerers opting to remove a spell every few levels. This would be huge and yes, I already know the Sorcerer is ZOMGWTFBBQ!!

6. Banters - Minsc, Y U NO TALK ABOUT BUTTKICKING!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! O.O

Edit: 7. Backstabbing - Remove the requirement to be stealth, and reduce the damage. Then I think it would actually be worth having. Since I don't use it, I just always make my thieves a Swashie instead for the extra To-Hit and AC. Even if they don't dual-wield...
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    1.) The amount of XP you get is too much, you can easily get a full party of 6 to max level and still have loads of the game left.

2.) Cloakwood. I'm a perfectionist and i ALWAYS clear everything and explore all the maps. And i just dislike clearing the full map in the Cloakwood area.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Wiggles said:

1. Random loot drops - Silke ALWAYS has a quaterstaff +1. Why not darts, or a dagger, or a sling, or throwing daggers? Guy 'X' always has loot 'Y'. This would definitly help with meta-gaming and a nice touch to add replayablility. I obviously don't want this to be like WoW or MMOish, but variety is the spice of life so they say.

4. Spell Casting Time - I understand the game is in rounds and spell casting is already the most over-powered mechanic in the game, but I wanna cast spells like Irenicus or Gorion. F%#$ing whipping those babies out like a bat outta hell. *drools*

There's a mod for point 1 (http://www.gibberlings3.net/item_rand/) and point 4 you can edit in yourself by for instance giving a character permanent improved alacrity and/or casting time bonuses.

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @Wiggles - As these are your pain points, I completely respect them all.

"For me", I would not want to see random drops. I think the item distribution is such that it is ****cough, cough, cough****** balanced such that specific items are in specific places. The idea of random drops "To me" really leaves me in a mind of one of two scenarios.

(1) MMO style where you 'camp' out a site and kill the same spawns over and over again ad-nausium until you get the 'Special' drop. I would absolutely not want to see this in BG.

(2) that various "Like power" drops occurring. This would either require proliferation of 'similar' items at each level or it would mean that the overall power would need to be 'Right sized' (read - downward) such that they wouldn't over balance.

Neither of these scenarios would work "For me" and would cheapen the game experience.

As for Minsc's dialogue, that is just classic in my book. I never get tired of it. I think though that you can reduce the 'Feedback' from your NPCs (or am I thinking about another game???) which might solve this problem for you???

Finally, Backstabbing. I put this down to play style. When I play, my Thief usually is one of the top two damage dealers of the group. She (usually it is Imoen) scouts the area and then either sets up an ambush or simply starts combat by a Backstab to the Wizard. Either way, once she gets a decent Backstab multiplier, she can usually chunk at least one enemy combatant as an opening manuver. And in BG2 it is twice as useful. Yoshimo hides while someone else opens the door and agros the enemy. Out they pop, and Yoshi finishes them off toot sweet... My personal preference (and it is only MY preference) would be not to go with the 3E 'sneak attack'. I just don't like it very much.
  • ogrebogreb Member Posts: 98
    Nowhere really.

I look at all areas as a place to find those precious exp points with maybe some loot thrown in.

It's not like any area takes that long to complete.

I do feel some areas are kind empty though.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    Shin said:

There's a mod for point 1 (http://www.gibberlings3.net/item_rand/) and point 4 you can edit in yourself by for instance giving a character permanent improved alacrity and/or casting time bonuses.

I should point out that for a BGEE-compatible version, you should click this link. Also that of the two options presented by the_spyder, this:

(2) that various "Like power" drops occurring. This would either require proliferation of 'similar' items at each level

is closest to how Item Randomiser works. With some differences. You won't suddenly find other über items hidden outside FAI just because you used to find übur loot there. Instead you'll find the über loot on appropriate enemies or at appropriate locations.

There is also a mod to restore the BG1 movies.

Emm, to also be on topic, I would have to say I have a hard time thinking of something I really dislike in BGT/Tutu, but perhaps my least favourite aspect is the first few levels. The game becomes much more interesting once you have a few levels and some resources to draw upon (and can take some risks and chances without virtually being guaranteed a premature death). If we are talking original BG1, it would definitely have to be the engine. It has not aged well and it definitely feels less polished than the BG2 engine. You are also mostly precluded from using mods, which means you have to suffer at the hands of stupid AI and other such inconveniences.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2013
    SionIV said:

1.) The amount of XP you get is too much, you can easily get a full party of 6 to max level and still have loads of the game left.

2.) Cloakwood. I'm a perfectionist and i ALWAYS clear everything and explore all the maps. And i just dislike clearing the full map in the Cloakwood area.

Edit: Nevermind I was wrong about something :D
  • masterdesbaxtermasterdesbaxter Member Posts: 51
    I've played this game so much that most of the game can get repetitive, so I've toned back lately to only one playthrough per year or so. Despite that, I remain bored of the first two chapters (through Nashkel, that is). Once I hit the bandit camp, I feel much more free. (That's probably because when I was little I could only ever get to the third level of Nashkel Mines because I stank too much at the game... Oh well.)
    Wisp said:

Also that of the two options presented by the_spyder, this:

(2) that various "Like power" drops occurring. This would either require proliferation of 'similar' items at each level

is closest to how Item Randomiser works. With some differences. You won't suddenly find other über items hidden outside FAI just because you used to find übur loot there. Instead you'll find the über loot on appropriate enemies or at appropriate locations.
    What I am afraid of is, in an attempt to make 'Similar but not the same' items, something like a +1 Long sword might be made a +1 long sword that adds +1 to save vs petrification (as example) and that another +1 long sword would be made to be able to cast Vocalize once per day and that a third +1 long sword might increase the chance of random gold drop by 5% all so that the 'Random' list isn't merely 5 items (Sword, Mace, Staff, Dart, Stack of arrows) but is something really random (all 5 of those times a factor of 10 different additional abilities). This begins to feel a lot like Diablo (to me), where there are different flavors of the same weapon so that they aren't 'The Same'. Only they aren't really differentiated to any great detail but merely 'enhanced' analogous to a coat of paint. This doesn't 'add' value in my opinion.

But again, if it is @Wiggles - pain point, it is their pain point. This thread is to discuss individual dislikes and as such each are entitled to their own.

• WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102

What I am afraid of is, in an attempt to make 'Similar but not the same' items, something like a +1 Long sword might be made a +1 long sword that adds +1 to save vs petrification (as example) and that another +1 long sword would be made to be able to cast Vocalize once per day and that a third +1 long sword might increase the chance of random gold drop by 5% all so that the 'Random' list isn't merely 5 items (Sword, Mace, Staff, Dart, Stack of arrows) but is something really random (all 5 of those times a factor of 10 different additional abilities). This begins to feel a lot like Diablo (to me), where there are different flavors of the same weapon so that they aren't 'The Same'. Only they aren't really differentiated to any great detail but merely 'enhanced' analogous to a coat of paint. This doesn't 'add' value in my opinion.

Well, I can safely say Item Randomiser doesn't do any of that.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    before haste when my party is slow like a sloth
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    ajwz said:

Forgot to add:
    I like to do the candlekeep quest run in one big loop:
    1. Visit Candlekeep inn
    2. Phylidia book
    3. Talk to dreppin
    4. 1st assassin
    5. Temple
    6. Training
    7. Rat killing
    8. Healing potion
    9. Talk to hull
    10. Drop in on immy
    11. Tethoril's scroll
    12. 2nd assassin
    13. Barracks
    14. Back to candlekeep inn
    15. Back to Dreppin
    16. Back to Hull
    17. Gorion Time.

My least favourite part of the game is usually around step 16 when I realise I forgot to buy crossbow bolts at step 1 to hand in to the barracks, thus adding another totally unnecessary loop to my perfectly mapped out plan.

Just FYI, if you just want to get through it, it's WAAAAY faster to go the other direction. So...

1. Buy bolts
    2. Barracks
    3. 2nd assassin
    4. Healing potion
    5. Hull
    6. Rat killing
    7. Dreppin
    8. 1st assassin
    9. Phylidia
    10. Tethoril

Way less backtracking, so long as you don't mind RPing a character who magically knows that Hull will want you to grab his sword and his antidote, which is needed to heal a cow on the other side of the keep.

Yes, I have started enough characters to look for the most efficient way to get through Candlekeep. Actually, probably most of us have.

As for me? I gotta chime in with the dungeons. BG does a lot of great things, but dungeons are not one of them. Firewine, Ulcaster, Nashkel/Cloakwood Mines, Thieves Maze... All of these are areas that I either skip or loathe. Hell, after a few levels I usually stop looking for traps and just send my beefiest character ahead to set them all off because it's less tedious. Boots of Speed Kagain tearing through the Thieves Maze is great.
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    The reload when your best fighter - the one that in a very short order will tear apart the rest of your team - has been charmed by a sirene or that nasty dryad in Cloakwood.
    Astafas said:

The reload when your best fighter - the one that in a very short order will tear apart the rest of your team - has been charmed by a sirene or that nasty dryad in Cloakwood.

LOL. Doh!!!

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Definitely the fact that I can't bisexually romance every single character. Wow this game is so old-fashioned, I can't believe how close-minded the developers must be.

• zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    oh durlag's tower level 2 did have problems
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Sirines aren't hard. Take Minsc and the Helm of Charm Protection. I do this as a fighter build with high dots in Archery... Send Minsc in berserked, while you as the archer wearing the helm with charm protection zap them from a distance with arrows. Works like a charm. Keep the rest of the party elsewhere while you two battle. :)