Skip to content

What is your least favorite section/aspect of BG1 and why?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2013
    LadyRhian said:

Sirines aren't hard. Take Minsc and the Helm of Charm Protection. I do this as a fighter build with high dots in Archery... Send Minsc in berserked, while you as the archer wearing the helm with charm protection zap them from a distance with arrows. Works like a charm. Keep the rest of the party elsewhere while you two battle. :)

1) Scout ahead to locate sirines (in this case I'm mentally thinking the sirines on the lighthouse map but their location isn't that important)
    2)Cast Glitterdust (outside of their visual range so that it will hit them but they won't see you).
    3) Ready Archers (anyone who can use ranged weapons I suppose)
    4) Fire! :D

It won't work every time but its a solution you can use straight out of Beregost (you can pick up glitterdust in the Feldpost Inn)
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    steal ption of anti-charm from candlekeep get potion of speed from npcs run to sirins with archer on 2 potions! gw
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    The combat system is based entirely around d20 dice rolls, in an environment where all the fun aspects of die rolls are taken away.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    My least favorite is the BG city because the maps are small. My silent wish for :EE was for BG to be one map that you could run around without all of the transitions.
  • EcthelionEcthelion Member Posts: 61
    My least favorite moment is when Noober gives up on bothering me. I really like talking with him!

My least favorite is the BG city because the maps are small. My silent wish for :EE was for BG to be one map that you could run around without all of the transitions.

Its been discussed before but it would require renaming a lot of the chests and other things found on each map.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7353/area-maps-make-baldur-s-gate-one-large-area

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Ecthelion said:

My least favorite moment is when Noober gives up on bothering me. I really like talking with him!

My least favorite moment is having to bury the body afterwards.

Ecthelion said:

My least favorite moment is having to bury the body afterwards.
    Just leave it on the ground somewhere. Maybe if Lord Binky visits Nashkel anytime soon he'll find it and take the hint :D
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    The path-finding. The ****ing pathfinding. Battle'll be going swimmingly. SWIMMINGLY. Mage'll have some awesome murderspell memorized, that I'll be ready to fire off once everything looks good.

"Where the hell...?! Lemme scroll through the feedback window."

Nothing. Sooo, I highlight and center on the mage. Mage is screwing around half a map away, because the path-finding was on lunch, or...something? Pathfinding, ah said PATHFINDING, you are wearing thin on my medication!

also the fact that I can't romance Safana ;____;
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    My least favorite part is the kobold infested nashkel mines.

Its just the equivelent of 'kill 10 rats', but for a far longer and much more time consuming duration.

On the other hand, fighting Daevorn is alwasys the most fun thing in the game for me. I like him teleporting away all the time and flinging lightning bolts at me, such a hard and epic boss fight.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    from what i gathered of those nashkel mines newbies are DYING THERE
    If you don't know what you are doing (and you don't take your time and explore BEFORE going there), they can be deadly. Even if you are 3rd level or so, one errant fire arrow from a Kobold Commando into one of your squishies can be quite a deadly.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292

The path-finding. The ****ing pathfinding. Battle'll be going swimmingly. SWIMMINGLY. Mage'll have some awesome murderspell memorized, that I'll be ready to fire off once everything looks good.

"Where the hell...?! Lemme scroll through the feedback window."

Nothing. Sooo, I highlight and center on the mage. Mage is screwing around half a map away, because the path-finding was on lunch, or...something? Pathfinding, ah said PATHFINDING, you are wearing thin on my medication!

Yes, the ridiculously narrow corridors in the dungeons are bad enough without the horrible pathfinding. They really needed to fix that. Navigating through this game is a pain in general. I don't mind the city of Baldur's Gate being divided into sections, but why is there a fucking wall in the middle of two of them? Yes, instead of doing the logical thing separating the walled parts into different areas, let's just force the player to go in circles to get anywhere.

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    elminster said:

Its been discussed before but it would require renaming a lot of the chests and other things found on each map.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7353/area-maps-make-baldur-s-gate-one-large-area

Just because it won't happen does not mean I won't wish :)
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    Any area with tight corridors where terrible pathfinding of infinity engine comes into full effect. I just get so mad that my chars instead of going to next room decide to bump into each other and then one or two of them decide to go back and do whatever.
    While I agree with everyone that the tight corridors are a PITA and that pathing Sucks, I'd ask exactly how difficult you think it might be to actually stand 2X2 in a 10' wide corridor (and that not every building in the world has 10' wide corridors) and swing swords and maces (and two handed weapons especially)? I'm actually surprisingly cool with the fact that not every combat is in wide open spaces where the sky's the limit.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Nailed it.
  • FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    Cant rennovate the sunked cottage ;_;
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    LadyRhian said:

Sirines aren't hard. Take Minsc and the Helm of Charm Protection. I do this as a fighter build with high dots in Archery... Send Minsc in berserked, while you as the archer wearing the helm with charm protection zap them from a distance with arrows. Works like a charm. Keep the rest of the party elsewhere while you two battle. :)

Is there a helm of charm protection in BG1?? I've totally missed this for fourteen years apparently.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    mylegbig said:

Yes, the ridiculously narrow corridors in the dungeons are bad enough without the horrible pathfinding. They really needed to fix that. Navigating through this game is a pain in general. I don't mind the city of Baldur's Gate being divided into sections, but why is there a fucking wall in the middle of two of them? Yes, instead of doing the logical thing separating the walled parts into different areas, let's just force the player to go in circles to get anywhere.

Seriously. I end up just scooting about the periphery, getting poisoned by Lothander and Marek in so doing, and then, whenever I need to go anywhere within Baldur's Gate, just click on the section I need. Less arguing with the pathfinding functions that way...
    It's funny that I started this thread because.... Recently while playing BG2, I encountered a scenario that, either I am just too dense to figure out a way around, or I found my new pain point.

When dealing with ...Ahem.... A temple in mid to late game, you are asked to stealth in and switch one item for a fake other item. It is suggested that you do it stealthily such that you don't kill the guards. Only I can't find any way to actually sneak in where your stealth/invisibility isn't broken. And even if you can, there is someone standing in front of the item to be switched such that you can't switch them without challenging them.... Way to give a quest and a way to complete.... than can't be completed in the manner suggested...

Sorry for the lack of info. Trying to be non-spoilerish.
    Astafas said:

LadyRhian said:

Is there a helm of charm protection in BG1?? I've totally missed this for fourteen years apparently.
    It may have existed as an item in BG1 but was never actually placed anywhere in the game.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Shoal the Nereid bugs the crap out of me. I think it is one of the very rare poor pieces of writing in the original game. It doesn't matter what dialogue option you choose the result is always the same.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    atcDave said:

The second sub-level of Durlag's Tower is just tedious to me. The first time, or two, it was a lot of fun, and I think very highly of the whole tower design. BUT, I've played through so many times now, and having to detect and disarm traps constantly, or play games with doors opening and closing throughout, well it just isn't so thrilling on the 15th play through...

I concur. In fact, I am going to update the script for that area so that it opens all the initial doors. Toggling the doors open and closed with wardstones was fun the first couple of times then quickly became tiresome.

The fog-of-war on some of the maps is really irritating, especially Ulcaster and Firewine. I actually don't mind those areas, though.

Insufficient money when you start at Candlekeep. Gorion is a well-known and well-respected person there yet the only store won't give you a discount? I already updated Winthrop to offer first level mage spells so I may update him again to account for that, as well.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688

I dislike the 'tour' aspect of Durlag's Tower (with Ike as the guide, etc.). It destroys immersion for me, as it just seems too goofy. However, it can be ignored -- you can do the entire tower and dungeon without ever talking to Ike -- so it's not a huge problem.

I absolutely agree, the tourists are silly. I don't think such stuff belongs ingto a (pseudo-)mediaeval world like the Realms.

Only I can't find any way to actually sneak in where your stealth/invisibility isn't broken.

Try Sanctuary! :)
    They still ago and it propagates. Plus, there's the rock head in front of the "items"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324

It's funny that I started this thread because.... Recently while playing BG2, I encountered a scenario that, either I am just too dense to figure out a way around, or I found my new pain point.

When dealing with ...Ahem.... A temple in mid to late game, you are asked to stealth in and switch one item for a fake other item. It is suggested that you do it stealthily such that you don't kill the guards. Only I can't find any way to actually sneak in where your stealth/invisibility isn't broken. And even if you can, there is someone standing in front of the item to be switched such that you can't switch them without challenging them.... Way to give a quest and a way to complete.... than can't be completed in the manner suggested...

Sorry for the lack of info. Trying to be non-spoilerish.

Stealth while you're in there. Nobody minds. If that bothers you from an RP perspective, have one of your other characters talk to a guard (i.e. "distracting" them while you hide)