Skip to content

Least liked spells

13»

Comments

• TaylorTwerkTaylorTwerk Member Posts: 79
    AHF said:

AHF said:

Color spray and sleep. Color spray doesn't work at all in bg2 and same for sleep the saving throws will get you every time. Of course infravision but that goes without saying.

These spells are both death on wheels for most of BG1. They are so good in BG1, I take one of them (sleep typically) even with a sorcerer.

Baldurs gate 1, bg1 not baldurs gate 2 like I orgionally stated.
    I don't understand how two of the most powerful spells in BG1 get put on a list of least useful spells for all of BG when they are level 1 spells. It seems natural and appropriate to me that a spell that is available at 1st level and decimates anyone it affects would not scale up past a certain point.

The Command spells seem like an apples to oranges comparison. First, they are cleric spells and so not available to any Sorcerer and unavailable to most mages. Second, it is appropriate that Command would be marginally useful later in the game since it only affects 1 target (not AOE like sleep and color spray) and only has a 1 round duration (unlike sleep and color spray). Greater Command is a 5th level cleric spell so the fact that it would be more useful in BG2 seems like a no brainer.

For BG2, I agree that sleep and color spray are useless but considering they are almost AOE save or die spells you have to make their usefulness limited to weaker enemies or they would be radically overpowered.
    well the thread is called least favorite spells not arcane spells so I thought I could compare them with divine spells since clerics do technically use spells.

I also use magic missles all the way through ToB which is also a level one spell.

Again the thread is called least favorite not least usefull, so if they were two of the most powerful spells in the game doesn't mean that I have to like them.

Most oponents that will succumb to command doesn't take me longer than a round to kill when they fail all their saving throws so the short durriation isn't really a problem.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2013

The thread is called least favorite not least useful

Technically the thread is called least liked. You may not like a spell for a variety of reasons.
  • TaylorTwerkTaylorTwerk Member Posts: 79
    Oops messed that one up a bit.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

Again the thread is called least favorite not least usefull, so if they were two of the most powerful spells in the game doesn't mean that I have to like them.

Very true. Personal preference is simply that.

On a personal level, I don't find Command at all useful in BG2. I can't remember a situation that I haven't had a better option and so, for BG2 purposes, I would put it in the same category with sleep and color spray. It is a very nice spell for clerics in BG1. None of them are among my most disliked spells.