Skip to content

Least liked spells

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
I'm just curious what people's least like spells are. I'm just going to bring one up that rarely is probably even considered and that is Fire Seeds. 1 APR default, only 2d8 fire damage (save for half-damage and no damage bonuses with level), and you only get 4 of them with each casting. Plus its a level 6 spell. You can switch it between characters but its still not really much of a saving grace.

I just brought up one druid spell but feel free to bring up as many as you want from any class.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    IMO The most COMPLETELY POINTLESS spell in the game (other than infravision) is non-detection. It doesn't even work as advertised! The three illusion killer spells (detect illusions, oracle, true sight) all dispel it immediately along with any illusions you have. While the current function of this spell has its own benefits (enemy mages are that much less nasty to kill) I would almost prefer that non-detection actually made you 100% non detectable. That would certainly make things much more interesting.

The cloak of non-detection however does work against even the illusion killers to some extent and is still a cool item.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited July 2013
    @Tresset
    Non-detection isn't useless, it just requires an inordinate amount of knowledge to be used effectively. The matter is confounded by spells like True Sight dispelling illusion spells, which completely bypasses the protection offered by non-detection. However, if your invisibility isn't an illusion spell, or if the detection magic does not dispel illusion spells, non-detection does what it claims to do. Edit: True Sight also dispels by secondary type, so contrary to what I originally stated, it's not quite as straightforward as whether it's an illusion spell or not.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Ironically, Non-detection is NOT supposed to work against true-sight, but the cloak will protect against it regardless, since it can't dispelled.

Also...non-detection was a bad choice to add....it's main purpose is to prevent scrying-type spells (up to 4th level), mind-reading and detecting alignments and stuff.....it only technically blocks detect invisibility, the other illusion dispellers are not included.

As for spells I hate....

Hmmmmm........aside from truly useless ones, probably Chromatic Orb....that +6 save bonus is ridiculous. Requires 2 other spells just to break even, and even low HD enemies with bad saves, save more then half the time.

And Friends is disappointing......I know they pretty much cribbed the description straight of the handbook...but it flat out lies......it's just a charisma booster...everything else it says is a complete lie, without how limited BG's implementation is.

And Friends is disappointing......I know they pretty much cribbed the description straight of the handbook...but it flat out lies......it's just a charisma booster...everything else it says is a complete lie, without how limited BG's implementation is.

I found friends quite useful actually to help with lowering store prices so I could buy stuff in early SoA when you start bankrupt.

Well, to be honest it wasn't that helpful but every little bit helps I guess...
  • FredSRichardsonFredSRichardson Member Posts: 465
    Doom together with chromatic orb can be fiendishly effective. There are a few spells I've never used, perhaps due to ignorance on my part on how to use them:
    "Good Berries" - too little healing, other spells at same level are better
    "Chill Touch" - maybe for a fighter/wizard, but I've never used it. A monk with access to a few touch spells would be so cool.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2013
    Yea I've never really found "Friends" to be helpful. There just isn't a point where I'm that concerned about having only 16,17, or 18 charisma instead of 21+
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Melf's Minute Meteors. I mean really, you guys. :|

No, seriously, I dislike infravision. I can otherwise make use of most other spells! Infravision, ugh..."I have rings for that!". Give us permanency or a reason to have it, and I'm cool...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    Pretty much every level two Druid spell except Fire resist and Slow Poison
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I dont like the spell Luck. It's a great spell. But the duration is so short that it's mostly useless. The effect should last at least a turn. To avoid abuse, make it non-cumulative.
    Fubby said:

Pretty much every level two Druid spell except Fire resist and Slow Poison

Being a relatively low level spell charm person or mammal has its uses. Particularly given its at a spell level with little competition.

"Friends" is a great spell. :D I get Xan to memorize it to buy me ammos on discount :3 He's so charismatic.

"Ray of Enfeeblement" doesn't seem to work. It should lower strength to a point where enemies in heavy armour can't walk - but they still do! ~_~

I wonder if encumbrance is only checked for the party...
    edited July 2013
    It is...and unlike PnP, you can only Ray of enfeeble the target once...multiple spells just reset the duration rather then stacking. (in PnP you can actually enfeeble someone to death by reducing their str to 0 through multiple spells).
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    I personally dislike lightening bolt. When I really need it, 70/30 my party gets it worse than the enemy. It's so situational I rarely cast it, but I know it has its place.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Luck spell needs an increased duration to be of some use. And grease spell has undocumented bonus to its saving throw, enemies save so easily.

I hate blindness spell because it is so powerful, the duration is huge, it is a save or die spell. I would reduce the duration to 1rnd/lvl.

Aid and barkskin could be good buffs but their durations are too short too, and they are not practical to cast in combat.

Fire seeds can be of use since you can give them to other characters, they can finish off trolls with fire damage. But then again at those lvls even pure warriors have a means of doing fire/acid damage via weapons/arrows, so..

Color spray is the most useless spell ever, its area of effect cone shaped projectile is bugged, but sleep is so much superiour in duration it is a joke. I would have it additional blindness/stun abilities according to the hitdice of the creature.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    For fire seed, it has a (small?) area of effect. If the warrior uses greater deathblow w/ the fire seed, he can kill a cluster of enemies at once (umber hulks, mind flayers, trolls and surprising many "difficult" monsters).

I tried the greater deathblow trick with the arrow of detonation before. It works well in Sendai's enclave fighting those wave of slaves in one swoop. Too bad the arrow of detonation is such a rare drop. I only found one or two arrows in the entire game.
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    Probably the arcane 6th level elemental summons. I know the fire elemental at least is good but the chance of adding to your problems with the help of a spell-slot rubs me all kinds of wrong. Maybe if they were especially susceptible to their summoners dire-charm or domination spells I could see myself liking that, as I don't mind using demons. Moar mechanics!

disclaimer: I'm aware that druids hold dominion over the elements, but we can't have druid/mages because reasons.
    edited July 2013
    bbear said:

For fire seed, it has a (small?) area of effect. If the warrior uses greater deathblow w/ the fire seed, he can kill a cluster of enemies at once (umber hulks, mind flayers, trolls and surprising many "difficult" monsters).

I tried the greater deathblow trick with the arrow of detonation before. It works well in Sendai's enclave fighting those wave of slaves in one swoop. Too bad the arrow of detonation is such a rare drop. I only found one or two arrows in the entire game.

Its a very small area of effect (15 feet vs fireballs 30). I would think that the necklace of missiles or (in the case of just trolls and umber hulks the "Death spell") would be less involving if you wanted to do this. Also wouldn't Mind Flayer's likely just be protected by their resistances because its only magic fire damage that is involved?
  • raxtorenraxtoren Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2013
    I dislike all these fear/charm spells, since I think they ruin the game a bit.
    I rather have enemy mages do real dps or at most slow you down, then just confusing your enemy. It's a cheap tactic which force you to bring dispel magic, and then with it, turns every mage battle into super easy.

I mean, for god sake, the first mage you meet at FAI cast fear on you - 8/10 times my whole party keeps running in circles and I can't do a damn thing.
    Great gameplay. Lets make the first mage cast a spell, and if it hits, which its likely will - then it makes you not able to play the game and die.

Luckily in games such as Dragon Age they stopped this ridiculous amount of fear/charm/hold spells from mages.

Persona 4 had a similiar dumb thing, seeing how in one dungeon there is an enemy who suddenly cast "death" and if your MC falls in combat its Game Over.
    So I was, hmm, maybe 2-3 hour into the dungeon and suddenly this enemy "death" my MC and hit...

How certain spells arnt taken out during Q&A with testers are beyond me.
    Yeah...most of the touch spells are crap....since they aren't implemented properly. Touch spells attack the target as if their base AC was 10, regardless of what it actually is and ignores shields (dex and some magical bonuses (anything that doesn't modifier their base AC, such as rings or amulet of protection) still apply).

Wouldn't mind seeing Animate Dead animals (Complete Necromancer) added at some point. (First level spell, animates 1 1/4 HD (2 hp) skeletal animal per caster level)
  • jfrenchyjfrenchy Member Posts: 4
    for wizards, anything that doesn't affect specific target or enemies only (magic missile, sleep, melfs acid, flame arrow) seems be very situational, and besides i'd probably be carrying a wand, scroll or potion to get the same thing done. for priests, it's all about cure, bless, chant, hold, silence, dispel

so everything else outside of those is what i like the least.

and yeah, infravision...
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    There are a bunch of useless, crappy and underwhelming spells in the game sure, but I'm gonna say one of my least favourites is chaos and related spells.
    I don't like having it cast on me because I have to wait for ages after the combat has finished for it to wear off, and I don't like casting it because it either causes the enemies to keep fighting, and thus is not helpful, or to run away, which is just frustrating.
    ajwz said:

There are a bunch of useless, crappy and underwhelming spells in the game sure, but I'm gonna say one of my least favourites is chaos and related spells.
    I don't like having it cast on me because I have to wait for ages after the combat has finished for it to wear off, and I don't like casting it because it either causes the enemies to keep fighting, and thus is not helpful, or to run away, which is just frustrating.

I normally don't use chaos or horror because of this. I'd rather either just blind the enemies or outright kill them than have them go running around the map (and have to chase after them). I'm glad the spells are there for those who want to use them but personally I don't use them very often.
    In terms of high level mage spells, there are several that are pretty bad, especially compared to the competition.

Energy drain: Sux. 2 levels is hardly going to do anything to most enemies. Make it like 5 or more levels and THEN you have a worthy level 9 spell.

Mantles and Absolute immunity: Now how many enemies that pose any real threat use normal weapons? Just use prot. from magic weapons which costs a much lower level spell slot anyway.

Gate: If you must cast this, get a priest to do it. No sense wasting a level 9 slot for it.

Symbol, Death: Just use symbol stun.

Protection from elements/energy: Hmm, I guess these are ok if you want to resist stuff... but you can also cast a bunch of lower level spells to be completely immune to all of the same stuff only for a longer period of time. Also, though powerful, these seem to be a poor choice compared to the competition.

Honorable mention:
    Simulacrum: Almost always outclassed by project image which is one level lower. It does have its advantages though.

Next up: High level priest spells.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I'm quite early on in my BG 2 adventures, so I haven't even used any lv6 spells yet.

But the one spell I active dislike is Lightning Bolt. On average I'm pretty sure it's cost my party more hp than my enemies, and made me scared to use all sorts of other spells that weren't single target.

I am starting to get the hang of BG magic better now, but I still sell any Lightning scrolls or wands I come across. I want my wands to be a nice backup option when I run out of memorised spells... not a gamble that can cause a party-wipe lol.
    Bad high level priest spells.

Confusion: Bad enough on its own. Now it is a level 7 spell.

Creeping doom: Since the damage is pretty much negligible anyway, Insect plague is almost always better with 100% spell failure lasting much longer.

Symbol, Death: Again with this?

Bolt of Glory: Flamestrike>>>Bolt of Glory

Fireseeds: As above.

Honorable mention:
    Animal Summoning 3 and Conjure animals: Unless you want your summons to be primarily meat shields, then just go with the fire elemental/aerial servant.

Holy/Unholy Word: Seems like there are better things you could be doing with level 7, but it may have some use.
    @Heindrich1988 The wand of lightning functions differently in BG2. It sends out 6 bolts per use, each at a target of your choice. How's that for chaos?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    It's been up before, but if you find yourself thinking of a great number of spells as pointless I can really (for BG2/BGT/Tutu) recommend the Spell Revisions mod - http://www.gibberlings3.net/spell_rev/ - it balances a lot of the more poor or impractical spells to make them well worth casting.