Skip to content

Baldur's Gate II Overheating Tummyaches

SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
edited July 2013 in Windows PC (Archive)
Yep, one of those topics: "BG II is making my laptop overheat! Help! Heeeelllp!". :| I'm 50% sure there's a thread here for this, already. A thousand pardons!

Here's the specifications for the computer.

AMD Quad-Core A6-3400M
AMD Radeon HD 6520G, 512 Megabyte Graphics System Memory
4 Gigabyte DDR3 Memory

Other stuff runs just dandy. And my cooling fan is a doll!
I've tried all sorts of configurations for BG II, no dice. Also dusted the thing so much it's dryer than Death Valley in Summer! Good news is, other games run on it just fine; bad news is, Baldur's Gate II, Gods Bless Her Heart, is making my computer go "Whoa! Easy!".
I know it's something to do with Cores, and what-have, and how the game is miscommunicating with newer machines worse than corporate restaurant managers miscommunicate with their employees, but is there any solution? D:?

#FirstWorldProblems
#MyComputersCoffeeCupHolderBroke
Mortianna

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Is it just BG2, or is BG:EE overheating it as well?

I seem to remember having similar issues with my copy back in the day.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Just BG II. BG: EE is dandy.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    edited July 2013
    are you using 3d acceleration with bg2? if not, your game might be trying to run something that's not activated and is making your hardware work way harder than it needs to be for no reason, so if not try turning that on and are you running it at 1024x768 res? ( this seems to be the highest res you can go without craziness happening, try that res because sometimes with newer machines lower res' than that can also cause problems as well)
    SCARY_WIZARD
    sarevok57 said:

are you using 3d acceleration with bg2? if not, your game might be trying to run something that's not activated and is making your hardware work way harder than it needs to be for no reason, so if not try turning that on and are you running it at 1024x768 res? ( this seems to be the highest res you can go without craziness happening, try that res because sometimes with newer machines lower res' than that can also cause problems as well)

Oh! Hey, you! I was wondering where you went. I tried what you suggested, but it's still skyrocketing. :/ Perhaps screwing with the sliders under "Hardware"? I doubt it'd work, but, well, weirder things have done the trick in the past.
    are your sliders all at max? I have this game on my laptop and I believe my laptop is weaker than yours, and it runs fine, and I have everything at max for the sliders and I run it in 1024.768 res, and 60 fps also is your laptop plugged in when you play? if not they tend to run hotter if they aren't, and what power setting is your laptop in? mine is always set to high performance setting, also you said something about your cores might be conflicting with the game, there is actually a way to configure how your cores do things ( calibration and whether or not your cores will be used for graphic assistance - and that might be whats doing it- I believe one time I had an amd processor that could use any extra cpu power to help out the graphic power, if you have something like that, try turning that off and see if that helps
    SCARY_WIZARD
    sarevok57 said:

are your sliders all at max? I have this game on my laptop and I believe my laptop is weaker than yours, and it runs fine, and I have everything at max for the sliders and I run it in 1024.768 res, and 60 fps also is your laptop plugged in when you play? if not they tend to run hotter if they aren't, and what power setting is your laptop in? mine is always set to high performance setting, also you said something about your cores might be conflicting with the game, there is actually a way to configure how your cores do things ( calibration and whether or not your cores will be used for graphic assistance - and that might be whats doing it- I believe one time I had an amd processor that could use any extra cpu power to help out the graphic power, if you have something like that, try turning that off and see if that helps

I get home from work, and I see that I've forgotten to give you an Insightful! Bad SCARY WIZARD!

Yeah, how I read things - and understood them - was that Baldur's Gate II was designed with single-core machines in mind. When it runs on multi-core machines, it...somehow...fails to go "Hey, I only need one of you guys to do this for me.", and every core does its thing, and whoooaoaoghblblffshshshdfhshhh. :|
    I will get to rummaging around shortly! Thank you!
    no problemo , hopefully all goes well :)
    SCARY_WIZARD
    edited August 2013
    Wraugh. D: Can't find the feature. Do you have any ideas as to where it is, or how I can find it? I've felt up my computer an abundance of times, but the last time I broke the cupholder on the side to no avail. I haven't been able to find anything, either, but I might not be entering the right search query...
    Sorry to ask this, I've been asked dumb questions like that when I took call support for a bank and had to solve online problems, but I'm at a loss~ D: