Skip to content

[BG2] The Sellswords mod - testing

kulyokkulyok Member Posts: 33
I've got a new BG2 quest mod for you to play. It's fun, it's ready, and it's set in the Underdark! I'm a huge fan of Artemis Entreri and Jarlaxle from the Sellswords trilogy by R.A. Salvatore, so I named the mod accordingly.

The mod begins in Chapter 6 as soon as you enter Waukeen's Promenade in Athkatla. Throne of Bhaal expansion pack is required. You meet Kimmuriel Oblodra, travel with him to Menzoberranzan, confront a Matron Mother, rescue Jarlaxle, meet Artemis Entreri, kill bad guys(or good guys). In other words, it's a new adventure.

And I really, really, really need beta-testers.

Q: How ready is it?
A: It's fully playable, several people tested it, and all content is in. I'm waiting for some additional voicing, but that's it.

Q: Is it compatible with other mods?
A: Yes, it should work fine with them. It doesn't touch the worldmap. If you've got a game in progress, you can install this mod and continue playing.

Q: Are there new areas?
A: There are nine areas in total. Three of them are completely new.

Q: How many quests are there?
A: The major quest, which includes several subquests, four additional small quests and four mini-quests.

Q: It's not for BG:EE! Go away!
A: Right, but it will be for BG2:EE eventually - BG2:EE WILL be released one day, and I'll certainly make the mod BG2:EE compatible. Wisp has just released a Weidu beta with BG:EE-compatible journal entries, by the way.

I really want to release a safe, tested product, which means checking new areas on several different machines and installations. And your message "Hey, I played your mod, there were no major issues" would help a lot.

To become a beta-tester, you need to:

- post in this thread, indicating you'd like to beta-test the mod, or PM me on this forum, and I'll send you a message with the link to the beta.

- register and post at Pocket Plane forums, and I'll add you to the beta forum: http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,28431.0.html

- or PM me for the link at forums.gibberlings3.net or shsforums.net, whichever you prefer.

But if you prefer to, say, read the new Harry Potter and Methods of Rationality chapter(coming out this weekend), I more than understand. :) And if you join the testers but it turns out you're too busy to play, it's totally OK, too - real life happens to us all.

Some more information about the mod can be found here: http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,28430.0.html

This is probably it. Oh: all permissions from the artists have been obtained for all new portraits. Lava Del'Vortel, the author of Colours of Infinity series, is the area artist for this project(you should really try his Tales of the Deep Gardens), and together with K'aeloree they voiced Two Bad, Bad Guys. So it's going to be quite a show.

Comments

• viaderviader Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 875
    @kulyok I can test it on BG2EE in free time :)
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @Kulyok, will be any justify to make main char release his quest for rescue his soul to go even deeper in underdark (in menzobenranzan)?
  • kulyokkulyok Member Posts: 33
    @viader - I'll happily send you a link, but given how Isra NPC mod for BG2EE is structured(it's got extra files and stuff), it's possible that Sellswords won't install on BG2EE. But check your PM box just in case!

By the way, folks, do try Isra BG2 NPC from SHSforums.net - she's a lovely romanceable char, she's available for BG2:EE, and she's voiced now for both games.

@kamuizin: your party members will be asking this question, too, Keldorn especially. And it's the reason(about the only reason) why your drow allies would return you to Athkatla, should you wish it.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @kulyok I'm starting a new BG2 playthrough in a day or two, would be happy to test this mod.
    Thank you very much for registering at PPG!

By the way, I have another BG2 quest mod in the making... (evil grin)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Hah, yeah I noticed - installed the other beta as well while I was at it. Impressive production rate. 8)
    Thank you! :)

Okay, folks, I think the testing is probably closed - I've got the latest audio this morning, so the final release will happen within days. (Yay, finally!) I hope you will enjoy the end result.
    Aaand the mod is released! Thanks to everyone who participated in beta-testing.

Download v1 at htttp://www.pocketplane.net/sellswords

And take a look at Back to Brynnlaw, while you're at it, also released this morning:
    htttp://www.pocketplane.net/brynnlaw

Both mods will naturally have BG2:EE compatiblity when BG2:EE is released.
  • JaredisnotmadJaredisnotmad Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2013
    Anything from @kulyok is usually good, so I'm all for it. Considering what you did for the Icewind Dale NPC mod, I'm sure this'll live up to RA Salvatore's work.
    Post edited by Jaredisnotmad on
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited August 2013
    This one will be definitely one of must-be when BG2EE comes out. I just really want to kick Jarlaxle's ass (please @kulyok tell me it's possible:)). I found definite shortage of Kimmuriel way back when I read novels, so I will enjoy opportunity of dealing with him very much. Add a chance to piss off mother priestess of Lolth...that's just super sweet.
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    edited November 2018
    I found this to be the most official thread about this mod.

I found an issue. The mod has started as soon as I chateau Irenicus. Forces me to go to Menzoberranzan the first time I go to the sewers. There are continuous references to things that will happen in the future as if had happen in the past. Also I fear the difficulty of the mod will be umbearable for this stage in the game.

Any way to freely go to the sewers without confronting Kimmuriel? Is probably not possible, right? I really wanted Keldorn and Haer-Dalis. Plus, two big quests I should do before going to Spellhold.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    something must have broke as the mod is not supposed to start until chapter 6.
  • ElizabethSterlingElizabethSterling Member Posts: 39
    edited January 2019
    I thought I'd give this mod a try but I've got to say I'm frustrated by seemingly being unable to refuse being teleported to the underdark the moment I enter the temple sewers. "You entered this area and now you have no choice but to go to these areas away from all your other (some time-critical) interests and do my side-quests right now" is slightly obnoxious.
  • TulgasTulgas Member Posts: 22
    Unfortunately, needs more polishing.

Rewards were so bad that I reversed all exp from mod and throw away all items after finishing it. I'd say such area worth a single strong item and 150K exp total to blend with other game, not dozen of strong items and 1.5M exp.

Nicely voiced for sure. Writing is fine in some parts and seems there is room to add more diverse humor.
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Member Posts: 176
    @Tulgas which of the item rewards did you find the most offensive balancewise? Also as for the XP rewards, was it a lump 1.5 M xp reward, or multiple rewards that add up to 1.5 M xp? It sounds like it might be salvageable with some tweaks.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @kulyok @Caedwyr
    How EET compatible is this?
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Member Posts: 176
    @Endarire You might want to consider checking out the current download of the file and reviewing the readme. The Readmes often contain very useful information, such as compatibility information.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Thankee for the reminder! Sellswords 7+ is EET compatible according to the list.
  • TulgasTulgas Member Posts: 22
    @Caedwyr it's really hard to recall exact items, but felt like even level9 spells alone cover reasonable reward limit for the area / battles. And there were some OP wands, oversupplied traders, and much more.

For the exp, it was 6-sized party and difference after-before for the main character. Wonder how much exp original drow city rewarded in comparsion, but can't check already, uninstalled the game.