Skip to content

The One Thing That Vexed Me The Most About BG1...

The plot exposition is *terrible.*

Specifically, chapter 6. Your lineage is explained to you in a letter that is easily missable, and that in fact is impossible to get if you choose to kill the primary antagonists of the game at that point. Like, why could they not have just had Tethoril come to you in prison and say "Oh, hey man, Gorion left you this letter" if it wasn't already in your inventory. That seems like a really easy fix.

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I agree. I enjoy the BG plot overall, but the Gorion's letter issue is a serious one, because player can potentialy lose crucial plot element.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    You are right that it could be better handled. I would point out that the Diary of Sarevok also mentions that you are a Bhaalspawn.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    I actually completely missed it my first time. I remember the first time I saw the BG2 intro movie: "You are a child of Bhaal." Wait, what the hell? I'm what?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited August 2013
    I agree it's certainly an oversight, but compared to things like pathfinding issues it doesn't really vex me much. It should indeed be a very easy fix/mod though.
    Post edited by Shin on
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited August 2013
    Tamoko also mentions you are of his family, and Sarevok says in the final showdown 'you are indeed family, but I agree you can easily miss the big reveal.

And even if you read the letter, nothing happens. No commentary from your npc friends, no real ingame result. Whereas in bg2
    when you turn Slayer it is handled exceptionally well, with creepy in-game dialogue with party members and dream scenes.
    But bg1 is like this when compared to bg2, more is left to the player's imagination.

Added spoiler tags. -Jalily
    Post edited by Jalily on
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    I wish they could add NPC banters to EE, much like the mod does. It helps to immerse yourself in the history
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Dexter said:

I wish they could add NPC banters to EE, much like the mod does. It helps to immerse yourself in the history

Unfortunately, it is not possible due to contractual limitations. Basically, Overhaul team is restricted by absurd contract.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @lunar To add spoiler tags, do this without the spaces: [ spoiler ] [ / spoiler ]