Skip to content

What is the difference between Intelligence & Wisdom from an RP perspective?

Since the release of BG:EE, I've gradually been shifting my playing style from a PGer to a RPer. Recently I've decided to try the kind of character creation described in this thread here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19858/refreshing-new-pure-roleplaying-style-for-baldur-s-gate/p1 . Instead of simply maxing the most efficient stats, I've been basing my stats on how I imagine the character's personality and background.

I've been trying to figure out how I want to distribute points among wisdom and intelligence (among characters who don't rely on either stat), but I'm not entirely sure what each means outside of their functional uses.

In a nutshell, how would you describe an individual with low wisdom but high intelligence, and vice versa?

Comments

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Very interesting, thanks.

It was worth reading that page just for this exchange:
    DesertRat said:

A wisdom of 2. I wonder what the equivalent real life example of a Wisdom of 2 would be.

Wanderon said:

Obama?

:D
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited August 2013
    How INT is usually used in the game by mages, for example. typically involves just having a really good memory, maths and logic... things a really good computer can do as well. So I've also divided it that way; a machine might have a very high INT, but very poor WIS, as WIS is basically all the harder to define stuff that makes humans cleverer than computers; perception, intuition, awareness.

Humans typically have both to some degree, but I think a human with high INT but mediocre or lower WIS would be like walking encyclopedias knowing lots and lots of fact, but have a very mechanical way of thinking. Repetitive, not very creative or original, but only need to see something done once to be able to repeat it again and again as mages do, and such good memory and recall that they'll simply know the solutions to most things. A person with high WIS but low INT I think would have occasional flashes of terrific insight into things, but nothing ever sticks in their mind. Person with high both... well, that would be a genius.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited August 2013
    Play Torment, it does a very good job of helping show differences.

For the genie thing, if BG had stat requirements like torment does, the results choices would've been modified based on your intelligence, with each response providing clearer explanation for the result, and which one was correct, while a low intelligence character might not even get the correct answer as a choice.

Intelligence is mostly about facts, learning new things quickly, and logic, while wisdom is more about instincts, memory, and learning over long terms.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    After browsing through the stats of NPCs, I've noticed something of a trend that the NPCs with some sort of purpose or moral code (i.e: Kivan, Jaheira, Ajantis, Branwen, Yeslick) often have higher Wisdom and lower Int., whereas the NPCs that lack a purpose or code (Edwin, Safana, Skie, Xan, Quayle) often emphasize Int. over Wisdom. I suppose that's also consistent with the fact that the first group are largely paladins, druids, and rangers, and therefore have a moral code inherent in their class.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    my character may have the Intelligence to create an ingenious plan to rob the Cowled Wizards, but not the Wisdom to realise that it's probably not a great idea
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    lunar said:

A simple real life example. Intelligence is knowing bacon is bad for you, with all those cholestrol, sodium and blood pressure, heart disease and stroke risks etc. Wisdom is actually not eating it. :-)

Sometimes I'm glad I'm a little foolish!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    In third edition rules, Wisdom modifies skills like Profession, Spot, Listen, and Sense Motive. It's very much an "act on instinct" ability score.

Intelligence modifies Knowledge, Craft, Decipher Script, and Disable Device. It's more about practical knowledge and specialty skills.

In a very simplified sense, a high Intelligence represents "book smarts", and a high Wisdom represents "street smarts". In other words, your Intelligence affects things you can train to be better at, and Wisdom affects things that are innate to who you are and can't be trained.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Also, in 3E rules, Wisdom is a measure of your "willpower", i.e. your ability to resist the effects of mind-affecting magic, as reflected in the bonus to Will saves.

The Intelligence score also reflects your capacity to learn. In 3E, your skill points per level are affected by your Int score (Class base + Int modifier per level). In previous versions, high-Int characters could know more languages ("Woot! My PC speaks pixie!" ;-) ) and high-Int mages had a better chance of learning a new spell from a scroll.
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    edited August 2013
    Dee said:

In third edition rules, Wisdom modifies skills like Profession, Spot, Listen, and Sense Motive. It's very much an "act on instinct" ability score.

I always thought Wisdom was mostly a representation how "down to earth" your character was. Hence the Spot, Listen, Sense Motive - someone with high Wisdom is always focused on whatever he's doing; he's always *there* so to speak.

One of examples of Wisdom vs. Intelligence that stuck with me was an archetypical mad scientist. High intelligence but low wisdom means he's a genius, but he also never remembers where he put his notes and is prone to rambling and getting off topic. And, of course, not considering the possible consequences of his research. Then it gets easily stolen because he forgot to lock the windows and we have to save the world again.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited August 2013
    Dee said:

Intelligence modifies Knowledge, Craft, Decipher Script, and Disable Device. It's more about practical knowledge and specialty skills.

In a very simplified sense, a high Intelligence represents "book smarts", and a high Wisdom represents "street smarts". In other words, your Intelligence affects things you can train to be better at, and Wisdom affects things that are innate to who you are and can't be trained.

This is as good an answer as is possible for this construct.

Wisdom and intelligence (as they are used irl) are overlapping cluster concepts. They refer to numerous cognitive abilities that are not well understood nor coherently differentiated. The game reifies them and we cant help but go for the ride. We're only human.
    :)
    Edit:%$&#@ touch screen
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Sheldon Cooper has high INT but low WIS.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I agree with @Dee's definitions, except that I'm not sure Wisdom can't be learned. It is definitely, to me, based on experience. In a sense, every child under 7 is a "fool", because they haven't had enough experience to have insights into what works, what doesn't, what is good, what is bad, what is safe, and what will hurt you.

We often think of teenagers as "fools" in the sense that they still don't have adequate awareness of what is dangerous and risky to their own well-being. We, as "wise" teachers and parents, try to protect them from very severe consequences that would accrue to them if they were allowed to follow their impulses. There's a good reason we don't let people legally drive a vehicle until age 16, vote until 18, or drink alcohol until 21 (in the U.S.). And why many "wise" parents monitor their teens' activities very closely, and enforce very strict restrictions on them.

So, in my definition, a synonym for "wisdom" would be "judgment". "Common sense" is another. Your wisdom is your ability to make sound decisions and value judgments. The wise person stays safe from physical danger, and tends to have great success in his or her relationships, because of having keen insight into consistencies in human behavior. The wise person tends to do well financially, because of having a penetrating understanding of money and personal finance.

I have met many adults who seemed to have "very low wisdom scores". What I observe about them is that "they never learn." They repeat the same mistakes again and again, throughout their lives. Some of them have multiple drunk driving arrests. Some of them are in and out of drug rehab. Some of them stay broke and in deep debt, despite making huge salaries in their jobs. (They couldn't hang on to money if you super-glued it to the palm of their hands.) Some of them stay alienated in their human relationships, going from one marriage or relationship to the next, and leaving a wake of emotional devastation behind them.

So, one important component of wisdom is the ability to learn from mistakes.

Humorously, one could question whether a person with high wisdom in the D&D world would become an adventurer in the first place. It's a wonder most of these adventuring groups can get a cleric to go with them. I think the person would have to believe in the cause very strongly, or have a really bad need for money to help out a loved one.

I think that intelligence is your ability to solve problems, memorize new information, and manipulate abstract symbols and concepts. It also applies to your speed in doing those things. A person with a 10 intelligence can learn calculus or memorize the periodic table, but it might take them hours or even days of hard struggle to do it, while a person with 18 intelligence might memorize the same amount of information in less than an hour. Intelligence might also factor into your level of motivation to deal with complexity and abstraction.

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Wisdom can be learned, but it's learned overtime through experience, rather then just perusing a book or flashes of insight.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    Intelligence vs Wisdom
    * Intelligence is the capacity to acquire and apply knowledge.
    * Wisdom is the accumulated knowledge that gives the ability to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting; gives the common sense; gives insight.

Read more: http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-intelligence-and-wisdom/#ixzz2bmZkVDq5

As for me I believe intelligence is basically how well you can execute things stated as "apply knowledge" while Wisdom is basically the reasoning before applying knowledge, I would tend to believe that high wisdom will make your reasoning and decision making more accurate, closer to "reality". I think you can be very intelligent in making stupid decision, wisdom is like this power that gives you control over intelligence. It is stated that Wisdom can't be learnt, in the "third edition rules", maybe it is true in D&D, but in real life it is wrong, obviously the quality of your decision making will not depend of your intelligence but of your wisdom, which is learnt through experiences.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Wisdom is intuition, insight, and perception. A wise person picks up on things, whether the emotional states or lies of others, gets "bad feelings," and spots things that others might miss.

Intelligence is knowledge, the ability to accrue more knowledge, and the ability to keep all those facts straight when it counts (Intelligence/knowledge dice rolls). An intelligent person knows things or has more specialized knowledge than other people.

I agree with @Dee's definitions, except that I'm not sure Wisdom can't be learned. It is definitely, to me, based on experience. In a sense, every child under 7 is a "fool", because they haven't had enough experience to have insights into what works, what doesn't, what is good, what is bad, what is safe, and what will hurt you.

We often think of teenagers as "fools" in the sense that they still don't have adequate awareness of what is dangerous and risky to their own well-being. We, as "wise" teachers and parents, try to protect them from very severe consequences that would accrue to them if they were allowed to follow their impulses. There's a good reason we don't let people legally drive a vehicle until age 16, vote until 18, or drink alcohol until 21 (in the U.S.). And why many "wise" parents monitor their teens' activities very closely, and enforce very strict restrictions on them.

So, in my definition, a synonym for "wisdom" would be "judgment". "Common sense" is another. Your wisdom is your ability to make sound decisions and value judgments. The wise person stays safe from physical danger, and tends to have great success in his or her relationships, because of having keen insight into consistencies in human behavior. The wise person tends to do well financially, because of having a penetrating understanding of money and personal finance.

I have met many adults who seemed to have "very low wisdom scores". What I observe about them is that "they never learn." They repeat the same mistakes again and again, throughout their lives. Some of them have multiple drunk driving arrests. Some of them are in and out of drug rehab. Some of them stay broke and in deep debt, despite making huge salaries in their jobs. (They couldn't hang on to money if you super-glued it to the palm of their hands.) Some of them stay alienated in their human relationships, going from one marriage or relationship to the next, and leaving a wake of emotional devastation behind them.

So, one important component of wisdom is the ability to learn from mistakes.

Humorously, one could question whether a person with high wisdom in the D&D world would become an adventurer in the first place. It's a wonder most of these adventuring groups can get a cleric to go with them. I think the person would have to believe in the cause very strongly, or have a really bad need for money to help out a loved one.

I think that intelligence is your ability to solve problems, memorize new information, and manipulate abstract symbols and concepts. It also applies to your speed in doing those things. A person with a 10 intelligence can learn calculus or memorize the periodic table, but it might take them hours or even days of hard struggle to do it, while a person with 18 intelligence might memorize the same amount of information in less than an hour. Intelligence might also factor into your level of motivation to deal with complexity and abstraction.

Children's brains are underdeveloped. :)

What is missing here, if we are moving into the real world and in addition to what I've already said (though vaguely) is social context. Teachers can literally create genius and stupidity,often without realizing,with their expectations (called the Pygmalion effect and golem effect respectively). Even when less explicit, social expectation can exert immense pressure that can dramatically affect performance and motivation (cf stereotype threat). Our own (learned) expectations play a huge role as well. For example, if we believe that intelligence is fixed by biology, we will tend to avoid difficult tasks in the fear that it will confirm our inferiority (see just about anything by carol dweck) Initial advantage and disadvantage accumulate (Mathew effect) and shape us in ways we never fully realize or accept.

It's probably good we don't accept it though. That would probably engender a fixed mindset. :)
    (That's dweck again)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited August 2013
    I think wisdom as the mental defensive strength of a character. while intelligence is the mental offensive power, how well can you plan, learn new things, etc. Wisdom is your mental defense against the harsh realities of life.

High wisdom characters generally have a more balanced, mature outlook on life, and are tough nuts to crack psychologicaly, while low wisdom ones are rather prone to mistakes and rash behaviour and break down. As their psychological health is more fragile and they can snap more easily than high wisdom characters.

High wisdom characters can act calm when facing chaos and dangerous situations and can take some serious psychological abuse before snapping. In a panic situation a low wisdom character can freeze, and panic, and break down:it won't help if he has 18 intelligence, he just can't put it to good use. Whereas an 10 int character with high wisdom can stay calm and do the more sensible thing in such situation. A high wisdom character can focus better, while a low wisdom character is more scatter-brained. In a calm environment when both characters enter a routine written or oral test of a subject they've studied, high int character will score better, ofcourse. (Unless he has exceptionally low wisdom, and goes like 'waaa a test oh boy oh boy oh boy this is exciting, weee oooo I panick!')

Take Marl as an example, he has suffered a very traumatic experience (death of his son) and is on the verge of a mental breakdown, even attacking a party of armed adventurers just because. This speaks of low wisdom, it is very reckless and unbalanced behaviour. And lo, he has very low wisdom by design! (Wisdom:5!!!)

Take Aerie (wis:16) as the other end, she has suffered much abuse and pain. Sure she whines a lot but only to the charname she trusts and shows romantic interest. Another person might have snapped and either acted suicidal or hateful, and Aerie is none of that, she still wishes to help others and thinks others before herself, she is still highly idealistic and good natured, despite she had seen the very worst humanity could offer. The pains she has endured sure left a mark on her but she did not go over the edge can still function as a very capable and trustworthy companion.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited August 2013
    lunar said:

Take Aerie (wis:16) as the other end, she has suffered much abuse and pain. Sure she whines a lot but only to the charname she trusts and shows romantic interest. Another person might have snapped and either acted suicidal or hateful, and Aerie is none of that, she still wishes to help others and thinks others before herself, she is still highly idealistic and good natured, despite she had seen the very worst humanity could offer. The pains she has endured sure left a mark on her but she did not go over the edge can still function as a very capable and trustworthy companion.

I'm not sure if I agree with your definition of Wisdom... But it is refreshing to see somebody who has something nice to say about Aerie :D

I'm still in my first playthrough of BG 2, and as I learnt about Aerie's background, I genuinely felt sorry for her. If you really try to roleplay your game through your character's eyes, you can really appreciate how certain characters behave in certain ways. Sure her whining phase was a bit annoying, but then Charname just remembers what she's been through, and he just wants to wrap her up in cotton wool and keep her safe forevermore. Which actually kinda makes me wonder why he'd bring her along on such dangerous missions lol I wish you could leave Aerie in the Circus without breaking off the relationship, to keep her out of the most dangerous battles.

Oh yeah... I forgot to say. I think her 16 in Wisdom is partly just the game devs attempt to make her reasonably competent as a Cleric. Her behavior does not strike me as somebody who can be considered 'wise', certainly not 'Wisdom 16 wise'.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited August 2013

I'm not sure if I agree with your definition of Wisdom... But it is refreshing to see somebody who has something nice to say about Aerie :D

I'm still in my first playthrough of BG 2, and as I learnt about Aerie's background, I genuinely felt sorry for her. If you really try to roleplay your game through your character's eyes, you can really appreciate how certain characters behave in certain ways. Sure her whining phase was a bit annoying, but then Charname just remembers what she's been through, and he just wants to wrap her up in cotton wool and keep her safe forevermore. Which actually kinda makes me wonder why he'd bring her along on such dangerous missions lol I wish you could leave Aerie in the Circus without breaking off the relationship, to keep her out of the most dangerous battles.

Oh yeah... I forgot to say. I think her 16 in Wisdom is partly just the game devs attempt to make her reasonably competent as a Cleric. Her behavior does not strike me as somebody who can be considered 'wise', certainly not 'Wisdom 16 wise'.

Aerie's wisdom is 16 because she is very resilient mentally. Like I said all the pain she has endured still couldn't make her crack. Whereas Anomen is very weak willed and is rash and prone to wrath and actions he deems as faulty. He tries to be lawful good, but isn't succesful when you first meet him because of his rash and agressive nature. You can goad Anomen into killing someone he despises because of his personal issues and since he has lowish wisdom he falls for it and can become sort of 'fallen' and goes chaotic neutral and his pysche is broken forever. He will taunt Aerie and Keldorn and can even fight them, those two are the very epitome of what he once wished to be and to protect. But, if you help him to see the right way, when he becomes 'sir' he gets a good wisdom boost:he has matured mentally and has resisted his self demons, his rash and aggressive nature.

Now put Aerie in a similiar position, say, you find some of the slavers who kidnapped Aerie and cut her wings off. You can try to goad her into killing them 'they are the ones who caused you much pain, we should kill them now!' , I highly doubt she will fall for it. She will act to punish them, maybe sent to the prison and authorities, to prevent them from causing harm to others, but she will NEVER act on a rash, reckless and agressive behaviour of vengeance. Since she is lawful good she knows that will be wrong and she can resist the temptation and can even forgive them if they are truly sorry and have seen the error of their ways. That's why I think she deserves her 16 wisdom score.

Viconia also has very high wisdom, and look at all the horrors/abuse she has endured, in all the backstories she tells, sure she is evil and can act maliciously but that's her natural upbringing, that's what she has been taught. Still, she can be redeemed into neutrality and can see some of the error of her own ways, that requires some immense willpower and sipiritual awareness. She has a very powerful and resilient mind, but still open to new borders and self-discovery. In contrast, while Edwin is brilliant intelligently, he can't grow much as a character, due to his lowish wisdom, he will always be haughty, self-centered, egomaniac and eccentric. But that's the way we love him :-)

• HandofCromHandofCrom Member Posts: 16
    http://xkcd.com/242/

With higher wisdom, you follow the left path.
    With higher intelligence, you follow the right path.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Intelligence is an ability to thinkify and remember things. It could also be a measure of sentience, in some systems.
    Wisdom is all common sense and judgement and spiritual enlightenment.

See, this is why I prefer systems with three stats.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited August 2013
    May I look at it on a somewhat of a kantian note? I apologize for the messy look of it..:(
    "The systematic representation of the faculty for thinking is tripartite":

*Sensibility is "The capacity for receiving representations (receptivity) through the mode in which we are affected by objects.." with the contribution of the pure forms of intuition: space and time.

*The Intellect is seen as the faculty "of a priori cognition through concepts", "the faculty for the cognition of the general(of rules), the understanding."

This is called the constitutive("antecedently to experience, and render it possible") use of pure concepts(categories of pure intellect) over intuitions, raw data - "By means of sensibility, therefore, objects are given to us, and it alone furnishes us with intuitions; by the understanding they are thought.."

and third,
    *Reason - the faculty of Ideas(the original causes of things), "the faculty for the determination of the particular through the general(for the derivation from principles.)

This use of Pure Reason is called regulative, giving "direction"(by means of Ideals of reason) - "For only through this Idea are all judgements as to moral merit or demerit possible.."

"I understand by Idea a necessary conception of reason, to which no corresponding object can be discovered in the world of sense; they are(Ideas) transcendent, and overstep the limits of all experiences, in which, consequently, no object can ever be presented.."

What's so important about Ideas?, they "serve as the model for the determinations of our will". The names of some Ideas are all too familiar: Good, Wisdom, God, Soul, Freedom, Imortality etc.

If so, Intelligence, would be, the capacity of understanding, belonging to the pure thoeretical reason, "dedicated to the sources of all cognition a priori", bringing in about the laws of nature, studied by natural(empirical) sciences.

Wisdom may be seen as the capacity of volition and pure practical reason, "yielding a priori laws of freedom" seen as such by the Metaphysics of Morals.

In the largest sense, Wisdom is just an Ideal, never to be seen or touched.

Bibliography:
    Immanuel Kant:
    Critique of Pure Reason
    Critique of Practical Reason
    Critique of the Power of Judgment
    Post edited by Zafiro on
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Intelligence is how smart the character in general is... Like will he try to go have a friendly chat with a group of armed bandits or will he actually realize they're a possible threat to him...

Wisdom is if he tried to have a friendly chat with the group of bandits, would he try again with the next group
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    If you want a real life example, a thirteen year-old taking college courses would be someone with high intelligence but low wisdom. I've yet to meet a truly dumb person with high wisdom however.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Lot's of characters can have a high WIS despite not having much experience (the bhaalspawn can be one other example). WIS is supposed to increase as a character gets older, but maybe overall it just means something different from the kind of wisdom you can by having experience. And I'd say emotional intelligence, wit and all those kind of personal skills would probably fall under CHA, although INT and WIS would influence them. A really good comedian, for example, needs to be able to step back and act like an intelligent alien, making connections and intuitive leaps between things around them, which would probably fall under WIS (a comedian with high INT would be an endless stream of pop culture references).
    edited August 2013
    @zafiro
    BY
    Absolutely beautiful! But I don't see how this can work for d&d (though, this gives a good reason why a d&d like world is impossible). How could one, for example, have such a firm grasp of the categorical imperative (high wisdom) and fail to be moved by it (be evil)?

Edit: they would understand freedom yet will to slavery!
    Post edited by Grammarsalad on