Skip to content

Kazgaroth Items

GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
edited July 2012 in Feature Requests
It would be interesting to have items from all over Kazgaroth's body appear throughout the series since it was summoned by Bhaal and everything. I would also propose that these items could only be equipped to Imoen and the main character, and that they slowly grow more powerful throughout the chapters((closer to your destiny, closer to Bhaal)). By more powerful I mean like +1 damage or thief skills per chapter or something.

Currently, Only the claw and horn exist.

What do you guys think?

Edit: Spellcheck. >_<
Post edited by GemHound on

Comments

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    There could be some nice mini-quests to find some of the items hidden in the wilderness, perhaps guarded in a temple ruin, or down some mineshaft haunted by demons... ect... ;)
  • Alesh91Alesh91 Member Posts: 26
    Why stop at mini-quest? Regular quest where you finish the collection and reveal the origin of the items and then either decide to destroy them or keep them (and tie it with maybe an alignement change or a special power)
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited July 2012
    or maybe even recreate Kazgaroth himself and fight the demon again destroying all the items in the process?

Of course, this would be after all the items were in one place in the temple of Bhaal that is in ToB.
    The items would have to be placed inside of the altar, and then a spell of resurrection would have to be cast.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    +1 Really good idea here guys!
  • BLack_XIIIBLack_XIII Member Posts: 32
    edited August 2012
    so let's see... that's the old description of kaz, in the lore of P&p game.

"The body of this massive creature resembles a tyrannosaur, although its forelimbs are similar in size to its hindlegs. Its beady eyes glow a fierce red, while its gigantic maw drips a steady stream of saliva that sizzles as it strikes the ground. Its thick, powerful tail lashes and bats the ground furiously, as it balances on its heavy, clawed hindlegs.

Kazgaroth the Beast is a powerful minion of Bhaal that has long haunted the Moonshae Isles. His origin is lost to the mists of time, but he is at least 5 centuries old.

Good Daddy, the best yumyum monster are yours...

A potent shapeshifter, Kazgaroth moves unnoticed among the Moonshaes, doing his dark deity\'s bidding or furthering his own foul schemes. His favorite schemes generally involve slaying a powerful leader and assuming his or her place. Kazgaroth\'s ability to create lycanthropes provides him with an ever-growing army of shapechangers.

maybe a part, can be found in the lycantrope island in ToSC?

He is also venerated by a tribe of ugly, misshapen firbolgs native to the Mooshae Isles, who provide added muscle to his infantry. He rounds out his troops with his powerful ability to change an entire batallion of warriors into undead servants known as blood warriors.

Kazgaroth draws power from the death, decay, and corruption he causes. He has long battled the Earthmother and her minions, and is considered one of the greatest threats to the natural order in Faerun by druids, rangers, and other champions of nature.

under Ulmar hill in bg2? maybe guarded by a certain shadow dragon?

Although Kazgaroth can be slain, he always rises again a few years later to once again terrorize the Moonshaes. It is said that only the legendary sword of Cymrych Hugh can permanently destroy the Beast. Even then, his essence may live on within the heart of Kazgaroth, a black, stonelike artifact of great power.

Kazgaroth is 30 feet long, stands 18 feet tall, and weighs 3 tons.
    and well, even a possibile artifact for killin him... so Maybe,the part of Kaz there will be: Claw, Horn, Head, Skin and Heart. and the Cymrch sword, maybe can be found in the Watcher's Keep? What you think guys?
    edited August 2012
    @BLack_XIII, thankyou for expanding on my original thought. :)
    Post edited by GemHound on
    edited August 2012
    I would suggest that the claw could be bought from High Hedge, the Horn could be found on the "Main Woman" of the werewolf village on Balduran's Isle.
    The Skin could be found in the new arena in BG1(Or on a map in BG2, surprise us).
    The head could be found on the Dragon in Suldanessellar.
    And then the Cymrch Sword could be found in the altar of the temple of Bhaal in ToB(locked magically), the key would be found in Watcher's Keep in the labyrinth being carried by one of the soldiers of the blood war and be labelled as "A Mysterious Key".

The heart, could be added in when you kill the Ravager in ToB, once all the items are collected and you use the heart, you would be teleported to another place, and Kazgaroth would resurrect in front of your eyes, and shapeshift into a smaller being(Just for screen pruposes) cue epic battle with werewolves/greater werewolves spawning to feed Kazgaroth's forces and the easter egg ends when you kill Kazgaroth. The closest to permanent death you can make him is with the Cymrch Sword.

Perfect Easter Egg I think.

@Bhyraen What do you think?
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    I am loving the quest line ideas crossing the boundaries of both games. However how do you explain keeping hold of the items from BG1 to BG2? Has irenicus sold them off to merchants and you need to re acquire them?
    For Explaining why the items are not sold off, it's simple: the part of Kazgaroth react with the blood of the Bhaalspawn (no surprise, after all was one of the aspect/avatar/pet of daddy) so, Irenicus kepts them away for further experiment like enchanching the spawn powers. ;)
    Ah right, i forgot to add the list of the official power of Kaz, if someone is interested in:

Change Shape (Su): Kazgaroth can assume the shape of any creature up to Gargantuan size. The creature’s hit dice cannot exceed twice Kazgaroth\'s hit dice. This new form is usually that of a bull, snake, or gargoyle. In addition, Kazgaroth can assume the exact form of any specific creature he has eaten; he gains a +10 bonus on Disguise checks to appear as that creature, and Kazgaroth takes no penalties on the Disguise check against characters familiar with the creature he emulates. In a different form, Kazgaroth loses its natural attacks, but gains all extraordinary and supernatural abilities of the new form. Kazgaroth can remain in a form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but Kazgaroth reverts to its natural form when killed. A true seeing spell or ability reveals its natural form.

Curse of Lycanthropy (Su): Any humanoid or giant hit by a Kazgaroth\'s bite attack must succeed on a DC 30 Fortitude save or contract lycanthropy. Kazgaroth chooses which lycanthrope template to bestow upon the victim. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Detect Magic and See Invisibility (Su): Kazgaroth continuously uses detect magic and see invisibility as the spells (caster level 20th) to a range of 300 feet.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, Kazgaroth must hit an opponent of up to one size smaller with his bite attack. He can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If he wins the grapple check, he establishes a hold and can try to swallow the foe the following round.

Lycanthropic Empathy (Ex): Kazgaroth can communicate and empathize with lycanthropes, much in the way lycanthropes communicate with animals of their type. This gives him a +4 racial bonus on all Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate checks made to influence lycanthropes.

Permanent Charm (Su): At will, Kazgaroth may attempt to place a powerful charm upon a single creature. This functions as charm monster (CL 20th, Will DC 29), except the range is 60 feet and the effect is permanent. Additionally, once per week the victim must succeed on a DC 29 Fortitude save or suffer 1 point of Charisma drain. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Kazgaroth may only permanently charm one creature at a time. Should he target another creature, the first victim is immediately freed from the charm, regardless of success or failure of the new target\'s saving throw.

Rejuvenation (Su): Although Kazgaroth can be slain in battle, he always returns in full health in 3d6 years. Even the most powerful spells are usually only temporary solutions. The only way to permanently destroy Kazgaroth is to land the killing blow with the sword of Cymrych Hugh. (DMs not playing in the Forgotten Realms should substitute other items or methods for Kazgaroth\'s final destruction.)

Spell-Like Abilities: 1/week—wail of the banshee (DC 18). Caster level 20th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Swallow Whole (Ex): Kazgaroth can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of up to Large size by making a successful grapple check. The swallowed creature takes 3d10+6 points of bludgeoning damage and 2d6 points of acid damage per round from Kazgaroth\'s gizzard. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 25 points of damage to the gizzard (AC 17). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out.

Kazgaroth\'s gizzard can hold 2 Large, 8 Medium, 32 Small, or 128 Tiny or smaller opponents.

Tail Sweep (Ex): Kazgaroth can sweep with its tail as a standard action. The sweep affects a half-circle with a radius of 30 feet, extending from an intersection on the edge of Kazgaroth\'s space in any direction. Creatures within the swept area are affected if they are one or more size categories smaller than Kazgaroth. A tail sweep automatically deals tail slap damage and affected creatures must make DC 30 Reflex saves to or be knocked prone. The save DC is Strength-based.

Troop Transformation (Su): Once per year, Kazgaroth may transform up to 500 humanoids into blood warriors. Each creature must succeed on a DC 29 Will save or immediately become a typical blood warrior (regardless of its original size or type). Blood warriors are fanatically loyal to Kazgaroth, and may only be restored to their original form by a wish or miracle spell. This is a polymorph and death effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

@GemHound What do you think?Can be useful?
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566

Kazgaroth is 30 feet long, stands 18 feet tall, and weighs 3 tons.

Wait, how are we using his claw...as a ring? That claw would be as big as a person!

weel it's a shapeshifter XD and we using it's claw more like a guantlet i suppose
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    Well, where start ?

1) This is Kazgaroth.

2) Only one Kazgaroth exist.

3) Kazgaroth is dead.

4) His whole body was destroy.

Actually i can´t understand how we can have his horn and claw...

Anyway, we can´t kill him because he is already dead ( very loooooong time ) and Bhaal is dead too so he can´t create another one :D
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Well if we start using some of his other body parts as magical items we could end up with some very interestingly shaped wands.
    We can´t ask things going against forgotten realms lore...
    edited August 2012
    Edvin said:

Well, where start ?

1) This is Kazgaroth.

2) Only one Kazgaroth exist.

3) Kazgaroth is dead.

4) His whole body was destroy.

Actually i can´t understand how we can have his horn and claw...

5) Anyway, we can´t kill him because he is already dead ( very loooooong time ) and Bhaal is dead too so he can´t create another one :D

1) I know. I read the books.
    2) We are proposing resurrecting it via it's body parts
    3) We are not denying that, it is dead.
    4) We have one of it's horns and one of it's claws, so that can't be entirely true unless they are fake items that have powers.
    5) Yes, Bhaal could also be seen as dead, but he still came close to resurrecting himself too. Anyways, the "Bhaal is dead so he can't make another" is not an excuse, two different people trying to kill eachother over power((hint hint)) could recreate it.

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    It was killed in the Moonshaes. If you wanted to retrieve more parts of it, I think you'd need to go there...
    LadyRhian said:

It was killed in the Moonshaes. If you wanted to retrieve more parts of it, I think you'd need to go there...

You know, they could also add the Moonshae Isles as an extra area in Throne of Bhaal.((I know they are massive.)) The Moonshaes are directly West of the Sword coast between Baldur's Gate and Athkatla just across the Sea of Swords.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    Now this could be the story for BG3 I think.
    "The 5 had a secret plan to re-create Kazgaroth on the Moonsheas, but there where you...."
    Canon whise you are no god, you discover that Kazgaroth is reviving. BUT you can't go to the Moonsheas yourself.. Why? You are a spawn of Bhaal and everyone hates Bhaal there. You found a young adventurer to stop the revival. And that is where the jourery takes of...

Now this could be the story for BG3 I think.
    "The 5 had a secret plan to re-create Kazgaroth on the Moonsheas, but there where you...."
    Canon whise you are no god, you discover that Kazgaroth is reviving. BUT you can't go to the Moonsheas yourself.. Why? You are a spawn of Bhaal and everyone hates Bhaal there. You found a young adventurer to stop the revival. And that is where the jourery takes of...

That could work for a third one.
    Then again, right in the lore, there is a party of unknown adventurers that rescue Waukeen a year after the Bhaalspawn Crisis is done.
  • BarzarelBarzarel Member Posts: 25
    Curious Question who you think would win between Kazgaroth and the Tarrasque?
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited July 2013
    We could have a mummy as an end of level baddy you need to defeat to get another body part... Preserved by mummification...

(Slowly plug away till everyone wants to build pyramids... Slowly...)

EDIT:
    Barzarel said:

Curious Question who you think would win between Kazgaroth and the Tarrasque?

The one that gets mummified first... Obviously!

Kazgoroth is smart and cunning beast. His main power is shapeshifting ability a magic coruption. He is definitely powerfull, but not THAT powerfull. He dont have any combat magic and in fight using his true form, witch look similar like BIG werewolf. Many BG2 monsters ( like Demogorgon, demi-lich or any dragon ) are much stronger then Kazgoroth. His true power is in hidden interfering.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

I have a question for the FR scholars.

I read on http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Talos that Talos is an aspect of Gruumsh, a major god. Talos is also a greater diety. I also read on http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Kazgoroth that Kazgoroth is an aspect of Bhaal. What does that make Kazgoroth: a deity as well?

I already liked very much the idea of encountering it (him?) in BG2EE, as a side-villain, or better yet in BG3 as the main villain, but if it is divine, now that would be epic beyond imagination!

Looking foward to your answers,

Jon

*Plugs ears and closes eyes. Begins to repeat to self over and over...*

"Talos is not Gruumsh, 4th edition never happened. Talos is not Gruumsh, 4th Edition never happened..."
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    "And what does that make Kazgoroth then? An avatar or an over-powerful minion?"

I don't think anyone knows. Its one of those things that some sources say one thing while others say another. The fact that there seem to be two different spellings, Kazgaroth (used in BG actually) and Kazgoroth, probably isn't helping address the confusion :D
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    I think the idea of more Kazgaroth items along with a lengthy quest is a great idea.
    "Mask of Kazgaroth" sounds cool... Like -3 CHA (for the unattractive ugliness) and some bonusses worth it... Or a cloack that creates and auro of despair (cursed of course)
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    The mask of Kazgaroth could grant shape shifting abilities...