Skip to content

Murder in Baldur's Gate!

PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
Hi Friends,

Today WOTC has released a PnP adventure entitled 'Murder in Baldur's Gate'. If you take a peek inside, you'll learn the ultimate fate of our very own Abdel Adrian, the hero of the Baldur's Gate novelizations. Check it out!

If you wanted a canon conclusion to the Bhaalspawn's story, you'll find it in there.

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Don't know, last time some BG "canon" came out in writing it didn't go down so well...
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    ...Canon in games with player choices, so much anger, must not give in. Too late... "GO FOR THE EYES BOO"

If the Canon is not that TIAX usurps CHARNAME at the last second and becomes a god after a very convincing fake death I really do not care for it...

:p
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Canon? Meh, I'm more of a Fujifilm person myself.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    IchigoRXC said:

...Canon in games with player choices, so much anger, must not give in. Too late... "GO FOR THE EYES BOO"

If the Canon is not that TIAX usurps CHARNAME at the last second and becomes a god after a very convincing fake death I really do not care for it...

:p

Truth be told, Tiax was never in the novelization of the BG series so he A) Doesn't exist or B) Never got killed in spellhold. It's up to you which you'd like to believe... I'm a fan of option B.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    ... the novels... I am pretty sure the vast majority of people here don't want to talk about the novels. I myself like pretending they never happened. Like X-Men: The Last Stand, Wolverine: Origins and all 3 (soon to be 4) Michael Bayformers Films...

So much denial can't be healthy
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    So, has anyone read this?
    Is it any good?
    What edition is it for?
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Abdel Adrian? You are mistaken, @PhilipDaigle. Everyone knows the Bhaalspawn was [INSERT YOUR PC'S NAME HERE] and that the story ended with [INSERT YOUR TOB END CHOICE HERE]. :)
  • EejitEejit Member Posts: 55
    Could be a hook for your BG3, eh?
  • davendaven Member Posts: 112
    Geez, why are people so dramatic about the novelizations?! No point comparing it to the game it's nothing to do with it.
  • wojtekwojtek Member Posts: 311
    is it a new aadventure in BGEE?
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    The fate of Abdel Adrian? Does he at some point suffer from total existence failure and disappear entirely? I'm sure many people would enjoy that.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited August 2013
    @daven: Eh, I just resent WotC imposing their interpretation of the BG games on me, particularly when said interpretation has been almost-universally rejected by the players. The fact that the novels were sexist and poorly-written to the point of ridicule is just gravy at that point.
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    Speaking of canon, I remember someone writing a novelization of BG2 using mostly the in-game script. It was over at Sorcerer's Place.

Maybe it's still there. I'm at work so I don't dare look.
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477

I'm at work so I don't dare look.

lol so baldursgate.com is allowed but Sorcerer's Place not?
  • kulyokkulyok Member Posts: 33
    "Wizards.com is down for routine server maintenance."

Serves 'em right for including Abdel.
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    Fredjo said:

I mean that Sorcerer's Place has really gone... downhil in recent years. It has in your face ads, it has popups, it even forces you to watch an advertisement if you want to download a 1MB file from the site. So I didn't want to risk it with a "naked" standard issue company browser.
  • prem0nitionprem0nition Member Posts: 65
    ajwz said:

So, has anyone read this?
    Is it any good?
    What edition is it for?

It's set up for 3.5, 4th, and Next.

I find it rather interesting that they're supporting the two previous editions with this release, unusual (for WotC) if excellent marketing strategy. Wonder if we're gonna see more of this with official modules in the future or if this is just an exception in the eventual lead up to the release of Next.
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477

Fredjo said:

I mean that Sorcerer's Place has really gone... downhil in recent years. It has in your face ads, it has popups, it even forces you to watch an advertisement if you want to download a 1MB file from the site. So I didn't want to risk it with a "naked" standard issue company browser.
    I haven't seen an ad for many years so it's news to me :), try using adaway or any other ad-remover, it saves a lot of nerves
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    @PhillipDaigle We knew this already: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/19512/murder-in-baldur-s-gate/p1 (for a long time :P)
    You should use the google workaround to search the forum. Merge please :P
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    LOL. @aritifcial_sunlight, you might want to Google "Phillip Daigle". I'm not sure it's a good idea to flip attitude at one of the guys who created the game, and this whole forum! :D
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Eejit said:

Could be a hook for your BG3, eh?

No. LOL.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688

LOL. @aritifcial_sunlight, you might want to Google "Phillip Daigle". I'm not sure it's a good idea to flip attitude at one of the guys who created the game, and this whole forum! :D

He's hardcore anti-establishment. :P

• artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    @belgarathmth notice the " :P "
    But it kind of weird that a "blue background" makes a double/re-post of a non-dead topic.
  • FelipeH92FelipeH92 Member Posts: 19
    *casts post resurrection*

What did you think about the adventure? I didn't play it yet, but I kinda got sad with Abdel's fate(never read the novels though). I was waiting for some more interaction between he and the players... I might change a little bit and include an adventure with him as the patron before introducing MiBG plot.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    edited September 2013
    The Abdel story is hilarious. I knew that my RPing of a womanizer in BG was right on track, but damn he showed me a thing or two... banging Jaheira while Khalid was still alive? Pimping out Imoen to Phaere? Hooking up with BODHI?

My hat goes off to you, Mr. Adrian. I sure hope his ultimate fate is as... colorful.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I almost cried with how horribly Sarevok was dealt with in the tob book... Not to be rude, but I could have written a better bg book in high school. Not sure what was going on.
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    I have a friend from fanfiction.com who emailed to me the entire novelizations of the BG trilogy on PDF. When I read BG, I found Abdel to be a very bland and uninteresting character. I couldn't help but wonder why the author changed the personalities of Jaheira, Khalid and Xan. Yeslick, Montaron and Xzar were fine, but I can't get over the changes in Jaheira. It's almost as if the author hated her bossy personality in the game and wanted to change it.

It took me a lot of effort to read through Shadows of Amn. I got this feeling that the author did not want to include Imoen and Minsc in the story, but was forced to because they are canonical companions in the game, the novel is based on the game, not the other way around, and as a result of his frustration, he butchered their characters, giving Minsc red hair and leaving him in the Copper Coronet, which shouldn't happen because Minsc should be a ranger devoted to kicking evil butts! :D And having Imoen do things she would never do in the game, like getting into a lesbian relationship with Phaere, for example. UGH!

I'm halfway done with TOB, but I can't believe how the author handled Imoen and Sarevok! What a letdown!
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    FelipeH92 said:

*casts post resurrection*

What did you think about the adventure? I didn't play it yet, but I kinda got sad with Abdel's fate(never read the novels though). I was waiting for some more interaction between he and the players... I might change a little bit and include an adventure with him as the patron before introducing MiBG plot.

so, what happens? (in spoiler tags) not that it will matter much to me, since abdel is not my charname. until my charname gets a continuation, I will just have to keep the TOB ending.
  • FelipeH92FelipeH92 Member Posts: 19
    is there a special spoiler tag in this forum?

\\*/\*SPOILER*/\*//

Basically the adventure begins with Viekang trying to murder Abdel in public, and even if Abdel wins(with or without the help of the players) Viekang dies and Abdel immediatly becomes the Bhaalspawn Slayer, a monster in frenezy, and the players kill him(or Viekang if Abdel loses) .After the death of the Bhaalspawn Slayer, Bhaal ressurects. Simple as that. I mean, tecnically the players don't even talk with Abdel :(
    The adventure itself is about whom of three citizens of BG will become the chosen of Bhaal(or one of the players).

\\*/\*SPOILER END*/\*//