Skip to content

Everything that lies under Athkatla (spoilers)

DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
I've always been curious about why they build Athkatla upon so much nasty stuff.

- A hidden temple of Amaunator. Untouched for centuries.
-A demilich's tomb.
-Two netherese liches' tombs.
-An archmage's dungeon.
-An Illithid complex.

Did I miss something?
Post edited by DJKajuru on

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited August 2013
    DJKajuru said:

Did I miss something?

Putting this in the general thread. ;)
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Tresset said:

DJKajuru said:

Did I miss something?

Putting this in the general thread. ;)
    Point taken!
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    Were us the illithid complex?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    If you count the graveyard in, then it gets even worse.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    A regular house with a lich might even seem a little boring next to a pub with a lich.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    How about chez Irenicus?
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    To be fair, Irenicus is a newcomer - he kind of squeezed in his dungeon inbetween the others.
    And hey, doesn't Neverwinter have a whole "Mountain" dungeon underneath it?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Waterdeep is built on top of Undermountain. Seems like building major cities on stuff like this happens a lot in the realms.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    I though the temple to Amaunator was in the Umar Hills? That's not really underneath Athkatla.

But you did forget the underground graveyard complex with the giant spiderweb constructions.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2013
    An extensive underground shadow thieves complex?

Also apparently random caves/areas full of pirates?

Ohh and a portal to other planes.
    GoodSteve said:

I though the temple to Amaunator was in the Umar Hills? That's not really underneath Athkatla.

But you did forget the underground graveyard complex with the giant spiderweb constructions.

There is a temple of Amaunator under Athkatla as well. You can go there as part of the cult of the unseeing eye mission (though its not required that you do).

• GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Ah, I never realized that was an old temple to Amaunator... you mean where you fight the beholder?
    GoodSteve said:

Ah, I never realized that was an old temple to Amaunator... you mean where you fight the beholder?

Not specifically where you fight the beholder. But its connected to the sewers. Its the temple you go to and have to fight...

that demon that can only be killed by healing it
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited August 2013
    Amnish people are all about money, why not send some lackeys into those places... All sorts of neat little things and body parts that they can make money off of!
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    The monster populations and distribution makes much more sense in the Icewind Dale series, but I like BG II's wierd style.
    elminster said:

GoodSteve said:

Not specifically where you fight the beholder. But its connected to the sewers. Its the temple you go to and have to fight...

Considering the age of that particular location, isn't it more appropriate to say that Athkatla is on top of this structure? After all, the temple was clearly there first.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    There's also the sewer area underneath The Copper Coronet...

...home of the "intelligent" sword, Lilarcor, and passageway to the Slaver compound.

elminster said:

GoodSteve said:

Considering the age of that particular location, isn't it more appropriate to say that Athkatla is on top of this structure? After all, the temple was clearly there first.
    The two notions/perspectives aren't mutually exclusive.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Athkatlan's buried a lot of crap, huh? :P
    elminster said:

elminster said:

GoodSteve said:

The two notions/perspectives aren't mutually exclusive.
    LOL. Agreed.

Semantically, the older structure should take precedent in my mind. But six of one and half a dozen of the other really.

I suppose if the topic had read "What is built under the city" that would be a whole different question. But as it is, probably makes no difference.
    Mortianna said:

There's also the sewer area underneath The Copper Coronet...

...home of the "intelligent" sword, Lilarcor, and passageway to the Slaver compound.
    That sword is a pretty great weapon. Dorn would probably like using it. :)
    @elminster - isn't that more or less just a sewer the like of which you might find under any city? Sure it leads between two buildings, but.... it isn't actually any 'Special' structure per say...
    I really have nothing to say about it.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    Watch the first minute or so of this. You'll understand why they built it on all this stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QEtbDrZwrg