Skip to content

Feature request for Modders: Recreate BG EE classes in BG 2

kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
edited August 2013 in General Modding
Well, taking in fact that will take a while until BG2 EE becomes a true, i would like to ask to anyone that can and want to take this little request, to adapt BG EE new content to BG2.

I don't meant the new NPCs (but anyone be free to do as they like), what i meant in fact is the new resources.

The new Classes:

Sun Soul Monk
Dark Moon Monk
Blackguard
Shadow Dancer
Dwarven Defender
Dragon Disciple (edit)

If possible and viable, adapt some of the old BG2 engine with some of BG EE engine resources would be great also (but could give a bit of trouble to achieve it). Things like screen resolutions and inventory and record screen new displays (as thac0 bonus of a weapon, maximum and minimum damage and etc...).

The whole point is be able to play BG:EE in any way and still be able to import my character to BG2 without any risk of incompatibility, if that's done the incentive to play BG:EE for me would grow a lot!

Post edited by kamuizin on

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Creating them should be fairly easy except for the monk kits, but I'm not sure if the BG2 save import function would recognize them for what they are even with such a mod installed. But with the kits available in BG2 as well you could of course edit/recreate imported characters such as they were.

The monk kits would have to be implemented as something else afaik and then given monk class characteristics (or overwrite the standard monk), so it seems unlikely they'd ever be possible to import into the current BG2/ToB engine.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited August 2013
    any reason for monk kit become unable?

By the way, i forget to add Dragon Disciple inside the BG:EE Kits.

Obs: apparently the Blackguard kit failed, the blackguard will become a fallen blackguard if his reputation decrease, BG2 engine is taking the kit as a full paladin kit without exception.

I would suggest the guy there to take off barbarian as an class and remake it inside a fighter kit, then use the Barbarian opened slot to make the blackguard, do detach Blackguard from paladin kits (probally the only way to avoid the fallen stuff). I would do this, but i forgot my password in shs forums and i'm a bit lasy atm to recover it :)!

The same stuff happened with the anti-paladin kit from Darkest days.

PS: our devs in Beamdog are also modders, aren't they? During this freeze time in reason of ATARI's Bankruptcy, isn't possible to them give a little hand in mod some stuff from BG:EE to BG2? Just to keep the tease of see those full contents in BG2 EE alive at least i mean. If i play with a Blackguard class only in old BG2 and i think i could see that with a proper stronghold, quests and special banters in class reason inside BG2 EE that would be a hell of a tease, at least for me.
    kamuizin said:

any reason for monk kit become unable?

Monks and sorcerers are hardcoded outside of BGEE, and things like assigning kits or dual classing to them can't currently be done in an easy or legitimate way. The closest thing afaik is a kind of emulation where you overwrite and modify a different class or kit that's already there (you can try to turn a kit people rarely use into something resembling a monk, for instance), but the chances of that being compatible with an export from BGEE would seem slim to none.

Another option is to modify the base class - you can for instance easily create a Sun Soul monk by assigning and removing abilities to/from the regular monk - this might even work well with a character import, but would also turn all monks into Sun Soul ones.
    kamuizin
    No way to repeat multiple times the base class and then assign special abilities to them to simulate the kit?
    To the best of my knowledge the properties of a class can't currently be copied and moved around without direct access to the hardcoded parts. So you can't e.g. copy the monk base into a fighter kit location, though it would make things a lot easier if you could. All we can do is to work in-engine and with available hacks to modify what already exists.

As for just creating a new kit with the fundamental abilities of the base class, that can be done for all classes but the special cases mentioned, within the overall kit limit.
    So a bit bump here :), about at least the Dwarven Defender, it's possible to recreate him in BG2 vanilla then?
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    kamuizin said:

So a bit bump here :), about at least the Dwarven Defender, it's possible to recreate him in BG2 vanilla then?

kamuizin said:

give me the stats and I'd be happy to cook something up for you this weekend. I like making kits.
    just want to recreate the DD kit for BG2 vanilla. My only doubt is, will the imported DD from BG:EE be recognized when i import him?
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    kamuizin said:

just want to recreate the DD kit for BG2 vanilla. My only doubt is, will the imported DD from BG:EE be recognized when i import him?

Honestly, I have no idea. I was thinking to do something like what Shin suggests: creating kits in BG2 from scratch. As an example: I can do something like this:

"I would suggest the guy there to take off barbarian as an class and remake it inside a fighter kit, then use the Barbarian opened slot to make the blackguard, do detach Blackguard from paladin kits (probally the only way to avoid the fallen stuff). I would do this, but i forgot my password in shs forums and i'm a bit lasy atm to recover it :)!"

Well, I can't recover your SHS password :D I'm actually curious if you can give that slot unique usabilities even though it's (more or less) a fighter kit. It'd be interesting to experiment.

But import your BGEE character; I can't do that. You'd have to create a new character.

Anyway, the possibilities are:

Dwarven Defender

Shadow Dancer

Blackguard

I might be able to do a dragon disciple bard kit like thing.

I couldn't help you with the monks though (without some terrible workaround)

Also note that it's unlikely that the end result will be exact. Shadow Dancers can hide in plain sight, yes? I can't do that--I'd have to give him a per day invisibility special.
    kamuizin