Skip to content

Potential new player

So I'm thinking of purchasing this. I loved the original BG series, and obviously I think I'll love this.

But, i've read a lot about the technical problems especially the intel graphics thingy. My laptop has a shared intel graphics card (i have no idea what that means). Does anybody know if this means I'll suffer from the unplayable graphics problem or does it only affect a few users?

I know nothing, and I mean nothing, about the technical side of things so all those work arounds that involve drivers and messing about are a no no for me, I just want to pay up, download, open and play, no messing about about. Is that an option?

So I'm a bit afraid to part with the cash in case the game is unusable. As a non techy person am I best avoiding this? I have a Toshiba C850 and live in the UK if that helps.

Thanks.

Comments

• AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited September 2013
    Unfortunately, yes, unless there'd be a Linux version. The Intel GMA problem with OpenGL 2.0+ not only affects BG:EE (and BG2:EE), but also other games that rely on OpenGL 2.0+ under Windows.

PCs and laptops with an integrated AMD GPU do not suffer from these problems though.

TL;DR: Avoid Intel unless you plan to buy a dedicated AMD or nVidia GPU in place of the integrated one (which you can't on laptops).
  • jethrojethro Member Posts: 81
    edited September 2013
    I believe the new update will fix this issue (also meaning it won't be an issue for bg2:ee) but I'm sure one of the moderators would know more than me on the subject. Perhaps you'd be better off waiting a little bit till the intel fix is complete...

Edit: I should mention the game is a Blast! Worth the purchase...
    PaulgKouga
  • jethrojethro Member Posts: 81
    I would be surprised if it isn't fixed before bg2:ee comes out...but either way it'll be a sound investment.
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    To my knowledge, newer intel integrated graphics do work. For example, I have an intel HD Graphics 3000 and BG:EE runs just fine. I half-assume anything newer than first-generation HD Graphics should work.

To find out what intel graphics card you have:
    Right click your desktop > Screen Resolution > Advanced Settings
    "Adapter String" displays your intel graphics card.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330

Thanks for that, I'll wait for BGII, then buy them both and not leave the house for 6 months.

It won't be a wasted 6 months.

sarevok57
  • baronationbaronation Member Posts: 3
    So there's a year passed, I've been searching the net for news about the update that fixes the graphics problem for laptop users but I can only turn up old news. Can anybody confirm if the BG games, and hopefully The IWD games will run on a lappy? Thanks.