Skip to content

Which class will you play BG2EE first as?

Comments

• AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    @PugPug

Yay, you came! (*Channels Tilly* n_n)

I hope there are some changes to Wizard Slayer, too. That would be so amazing. Perhaps a higher innate magic resistance or saving throws? Hmm, worth thinking about.

~Ascerion
  • OudynOudyn Member Posts: 74
    Probably my Blackguard. Not sure if it counts as "Paladin" though.
    elminster
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    Fighter. The first ever Baldur's Gate game I played was the second one. I played it was a fighter. So in memory of that memory, I'm going to play as a fighter. It should be quite amazing. I can't wait.
    Tomorrow I pre-order the game.
    elminster
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Thanks for an interesting thread!

For me, it's a rather hard question because nearly every week I try a new character or at least think about a new character. You know, I like planning, planning and planning - often planning even doesn't become a reality.

Last month I was confident I would play BG2:EE as a fighter/thief multiclass, three months ago - as a jester and right now I start thinking about a pure mage, maybe even a wild mage to give Neera a company.

So, up to November my answer can change many, many times but one thing I'm sure in - it will be a character who has completed BG:EE.
    elminsterAscerionlolien
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    The monk rule supreme!
    elminsterShrimp
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    I'm not sure at the moment. I fancy taking a cleric/ranger all the way through, but I've also had a naked party in mind for a while. That means kensais, monks, mages, shapeshifters. Hmmm.
    elminster
  • ShrimpShrimp Member Posts: 142
    Probably my good (hem) old Lawful Evil Monk, hoping they'll add some nice kits and change his HLA to something more interesting and less fighter-ish. *Shrimp, making goblins explode with his bare fists since 2000*

I've always wanted to try an Evil Jester as well, so who knows...
    elminster
  • Tysonm1Tysonm1 Member Posts: 40
    Ascerion said:

Tysonm1 said:

When I mentioned before about my Dwarven Defender being such a midget tank that rolls like a cannon ball through a horde of creatures in a tight corridor, I was rather shocked at how powerful the poison is on Blackguard. The weapon of choice I was using for him was a quarterstaff +3 because I figured it wouldn't be so tough as anything else, then I was halfway through until I realised how most enemies weren't resistant to it... then for the last boss I "heroically" poisoned him to death.

Oh, and the pips I dumped into my DD was Single-handed and Warhammer 'cos I love that one you get from Bassilus. The only problem though is when BG2:EE comes along and then everyone starts to get +2 or +3 shields and makes me feel sort of left behind in the AC area.

@Tysonm1

That reminded me, there is another magical warhammer you can get from Ulgoth's Beard. The dwarf with the quest inside the inn can be pickpocketed for a +2 warhammer, but it is +4 to giants. Giants, strangly enough, include Golems, like the one in the easily farmable Golem Cave.

Too much fun to dual wield them together. =)

-Also, at least with the One handed Mastery, you got the extra 5% crit you can't get elsewhere. Some might argue that is more powerful than a few AC points, when the really hard baddies hit with magic anyway.

~Ascerion
    Thankfully I might just make an evil party on my next run so I can pick that up. You know, because evil people don't need a reason to kill somebody when they're being given rewards and extra more on top of that when they get killed too! The only problem is that are you sure it's a +2 natural and +4 vs Giants? I'm looking on MikesRPGCenter and it says that it is a +1 unless it has been nerfed around a bit on EE? And another problem is that it's just good for golems so I don't know if it's that much worth it getting negative rep points for the sake of a hammer only good for one location. Though negative enough rep is bad, it's worth slaughtering a group of 650 a pop group of five (I believe) Flaming Fist mercenaries.

And of course you lose all your items when you go to BG2, unless you glitch the game and dump all your gear on the floor before you begin the game but that just seems to get rid of the whole idea of a "new start."
    elminster
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    If I finish my single player game in BGEE I'll have a Swashbuckler dualed into Fighter to play. He'll be using hammers and flails via two-weapon fighting.

If I finish my multiplayer game with my friends then I'll have a Swashbuckler dualed into Cleric to play. He too will be using hammers and flails via two-weapon fighting.
    elminster
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    elminster
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Fighter, specifically Kensai.
    elminster
  • AndyMAndyM Member Posts: 21

my current game is a fighter/thief that I will take over.

I'll also carry over my Elf F/T from BG into BG2 for my first play through. I like the continuity and I feel it adds to the flavour of BG2. I also wanted a character that could explore the romance options. So I'll be sticking with him to start with.

Then maybe I'd consider a Dwarf fighter. That's always a favourite for me!
    elminsterChildofBhaal599
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    AndyM said:

I'll also carry over my Elf F/T from BG into BG2 for my first play through. I like the continuity and I feel it adds to the flavour of BG2. I also wanted a character that could explore the romance options.

Keep in mind that elves cannot romance Viconia (if that's an option you were considering).
    elminsterAndyM
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Tysonm1 said:

And of course you lose all your items when you go to BG2, unless you glitch the game and dump all your gear on the floor before you begin the game but that just seems to get rid of the whole idea of a "new start."

FYI this won't work in BG2EE.
    Quartz
  • ChinookUTChinookUT Member Posts: 32
    In the first EE I made a Swashbuckler and included all new NPCs in the party. Since BG2:EE will add a thief NPC, I anticipate not carrying him over. Instead I'll likely create a Cleric/Mage multi-class, once again with a party consisting of the new NPCs.
    elminster
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Certainly it'll be one of my characters who has completed BGee. (I always play for the whole series with any character, never just one part.) However, I have several stored characters who have finished BGee, and I'm shortly about to finish with another one, so I have a choice to make.

I've not yet entirely decided which one to take into BG2ee first, but I'm leaning towards starting off with my LN F Gn Cleric/Illusionist ... partly because I'm guessing that taking in a Neutral character will give me the most flexibility for exploring the stories of the new NPCs.

Eventually, I plan to take all of my characters through to the end of the series, but some of them may have to wait quite a while!
    elminster
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    multi class is just better
    elminster
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    Fighter, just gonna keep it simple for my first playthrough on the new game... after that I'll start doing some of the other classes.
    elminster
  • KougaKouga Member Posts: 83
    edited September 2013
    min maxing cavalier with my personally rolled 99 total stats that include 19/94 str and took me nearly 3 hours of rerolling! (Old rolling system and I had vacation) T_T

I also got a cleric/ranger with 101 stats (str 18/62) with only abit more than 30 minutes rerolling.. Lol.

But yes Carsomyr. I mean Cavalier.
    elminsterAscerion
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well I think I had enough Fighter when I finished BG:EE with one and continued over to the regular BG2 and ToB with it... So I'm going with a Blackguard.
    elminsterKamigoroshi
  • AndyMAndyM Member Posts: 21

AndyM said:

I'll also carry over my Elf F/T from BG into BG2 for my first play through. I like the continuity and I feel it adds to the flavour of BG2. I also wanted a character that could explore the romance options.

Keep in mind that elves cannot romance Viconia (if that's an option you were considering).
    Really !!?- Ah, nuts!! Maybe I'll have to go through BG again with a half-elf instead now....
    elminster
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I will be playing my Fighter/Assassin dual on her journey to infamy and godhood. Good times will be had by all (other than her victims).
    elminster
  • forktheworldforktheworld Member Posts: 88
    I'll probably go in the order I ran through BGEE: elven swashbuckler, elven ranger, human skald, half-orc fighter/cleric. I'm trying to evolve from always playing a dual-wielding elf, as you can probably see from my class and race choices. :)
    elminster
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Picking up with my lawful good dwarf fighter first. Will continue my chaotic evil assassin after that. Will probably start a caster for good measure.
    elminster
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Just finished up with a Duel Class CN Female Beserker/Cleric
    So that will prbablly be my first BG2:EE playthrough
    elminster
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Just finished up with a Duel Class CN Female Beserker/Cleric
    So that will prbablly be my first BG2:EE playthrough

Always a strong choice :)
  • Tysonm1Tysonm1 Member Posts: 40
    elminster said:

Tysonm1 said:

Woohoo! At least now I won't have the urge to steamroll my way through. It was SO resist when you first learn of these things.

Wondering if I should roll with an elven fighter/mage next?
    Ascerionelminster
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    Tysonm1 said:

elminster said:

Tysonm1 said:

Woohoo! At least now I won't have the urge to steamroll my way through. It was SO resist when you first learn of these things.

Wondering if I should roll with an elven fighter/mage next?
    I'm the same way, once I learn an exploit, I have a hard time keeping myself from utilizing it. I have to really hold myself back when I'm in the mood to play Morrowind.

I couldn't play a fighter/mage, they are just too powerful for me. I guess I lose interest if it's too easy, or restart if it's too hard. It's a very fine line I walk, haha.

~Ascerion
    elminster