Skip to content

Why BG:EE and BG2:EE are a wasted opportunity

I had great hopes for Enhanced Editions of what are my favourite RPGs of all time. BG:EE is not a bad game, as the source material was of a high quality, but with the BG2:EE coming with BG:EE still not in a state one would hope for, here are my thoughts on the basics that were and are not done as they should have been.

1. A bugless experience.

BG1 had its share of bugs, but after years of modding community ironing them out it got to a near perfect state. BG:EE came with new bugs, some of them glaring. A prologue quest broken? Rendering not working on Intel cards? Re-edition of a game this old should be smooth, an ultimate experience, you buy it once again to get all the things working out of the box. Not here.

2. No interface quirks solved

If you haven't play Icewind Dale 2, have a look at it. Infinity engine in its last version, has many usability fixes, you can e.g. change the function and number of buttons. Want more spell slots? You can do it. More item slots? Sure. Whereas BG:EE ships with the same old interface, which a player has to fights against. BG2's one looks better but seems to have the same, old functionality.

3. The potential of modern distribution not used.

Beamdog tried to have the game exclusively to maximize the revenue from each copy... but surely it would be better for customers to buy it wherever they want? Obvious places like gog.com? Taking advantage of steam's mod distribution and matchmaking? While the game is available through other stores than beamdog's, it's a situation forced by Atari, and the devs do not want to take advantage of them in any way.

4. No integration for the most popular mods

Some of the mods done in the past years are of better quality than the game itself. Anyone who played BG1 with and without BG1NPC project for example should know what I mean. Those mods could have been made compatible and even integrated into the game, they would be a more welcome addition than... black pits.

5. Wasting resources on meaningless additions.

Yes, black pits. Not only does it have nothing except combat (is this really the most appealing part of BG?) But it's not a part of the game even... those resources could have been used to add even a single quest to the game, or at least adding to its polish.

6. No AI improvements.

AI in BG has always been bad. There are mods out there (Stratagems) which make it much better, they could have been integrated again... But foremost - nothing has been done to the game's pathfinding system. Changing this would make the EE worth its price alone... Also some changes to the difficulty system could have been implemented (again look at IWD2), atm those who played the game a lot, or just like the challenge have to resolve to mods. Same as with vanilla BG...

I could continue this list some more, but these are the points that to me at least seem the most important.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    How can you say BG2:EE is a wasted opportunity when you haven't seen it?

I think BG2:EE will exceed your expectations. I'm even sure it'll exceed anyone's expectations

And just wait till the hard-won patch for BG:EE is out. It will remove many issues.
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    #6 is the worst part of Infinity engine. I hated it then and I hate it today.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Why BG:EE and BG2:EE are a wasted opportunity.

BG2:EE?

Are you from the future?
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    bengoshi said:

How can you say BG2:EE is a wasted opportunity when you haven't seen it?

I think BG2:EE will exceed your expectations. I'm even sure it'll exceed anyone's expectations

And just wait till the hard-won patch for BG:EE is out. It will remove many issues.

Will it remove pathfinding issues? If not, it is unimportant.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

Long story short: mods do not have to be included, as long as they continue to be supported. In that way, BG:EE and BG2:EE have done great, in my opinion; they have sparked new mods, and renewed interest in the old ones, so they got updated, fixed, and expanded upon.

Uh... you do realize this whole conversation is happening because major BG1 mods like "Unfinished Business" and BG1NPC are not compatible and have not been updated, fixed or expanded upon?

If you want to have the discussion about whether the game should or should not have mods, that's fine (though BG:EE already has 1PP built into it, so really, that bell's been rung) but disinformation doesn't serve anyone's interests.

Personally, I view the story content in "Ascension" as a net improvement over the original much like the "Extended Cut" was to "Mass Effect 3" (people seem to forget that the components which make individual encounters more difficult are optional - the only encounter the core mod changes is the very last one, and by then your party is made of level 30 demigods and a bonus member). I don't know that I'd even be interested in playing BG2:EE without it. (Fortunately, it seems it might still be on the table.)
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    2. Well, while I agree the ID2 game has the best functionality, you have to keep in kind that it was a rewritten version of the engine - extracting code from it may not have been easy and it definitely would have led to a plethora of new bugs.

Secondly, and probably the biggest reason from Overhaul's perspective - they weren't allowed to. They have the right to BG assets. They do not have the rights to touch anything from the Icewind Dale series. This is why we couldn't get any of the awesome ID spell effects or monster sprites unless they had already been implemented in the original BG2. So, similarily, they wouldn't have been able to repurpose any of the UI code either or risked a lawsuit. They would have been forced to reinvent the wheel themselves (and even then they might have been in a risky territory law-wise), and that just brings us to your point number 5. Whether a complete or partial reinvention of the ID2 UI would have been a waste will be up to each and everyone to decide themselves of course, but to me, it would have. I've never had that much trouble with any BG or ID1 UI.

@ZelgadisGW -

3. Gog.com? Please...

What's wrong with FIV?
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    edited September 2013
    Actually @Borsuk I agree with your #2 and #6.
    I think this is what should be done in BG2EE.

Still I liked BG1EE a lot. Great NPCs, nice additions. I bought the game and I do not regret.
    But right now I'm not sure about to buy or not buy BG2EE of what I've seen on youtube and screenshots... I think they rush with the release. And I'm not happy about the fact that only 1 new NPCs (Thief girl) is added!

Where's the Barbarian NPC?!?!? =)
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @sciver
    I don't understand you.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I'd think calling a game that was released one year ago a wasted opportunity (not to mention one that hasn't been released yet) is a standard representation of how a lot of gamers view the games they play these days: short-lived products that generate some buzz around release day, are played once or twice and then mostly discarded in favour of newer and better things.

It's important to keep in mind in a case like this though, that BG1 and 2 have had a steady (or growing) fanbase for 13-15 years, and have seen tremendous mod development and support (for a game not all too mod friendly to begin with) by the community during that time. The EE:s were designed in part to be much more mod friendly and allow easier addressing of several of the points mentioned in the OP, to over time result in a game series that looks and plays better than the original, is supported by its developers, more malleable in terms of mod content, and that keeps on evolving with new content. There's nothing wasted in that, if you ask me.
  • ThunderSoulThunderSoul Member Posts: 125
    I think your only valid point is #1 which is bugless experience.

I would have hoped for as few bugs as possible (bugless is impossible) but there are some very retina-burning bugs that stand out.

The other points you made I do not agree because it doesn't affect the gaming experience; except maybe for the UI, which they said they will deliver a new one in the patch.
  • BorsookBorsook Member Posts: 152
    Well, my opinion is of course very subjective. And let me repeat, I consider BG:EE to be a good game, hell I bought it twice, this counts for some faith. I'm only saying it could have been much more. I see a lot of effort that went into the game, but it didn't concentrate on things that have been, in general consensus mentioned as biggest faults of the game. Modding community could not have changed it because they did not have the source code. But here we have somebody with the code, do they tweak pathfinding? Not in the slightest. Do they modernise the interface? No. Even the promise of cloud save was an empty one. And now we are a year after the release of the game, and lets bear in mind, when it comes to lines of code how much was done by overhaul? 1%? 10%? Most of the enjoyment we get from BGEE is due to Bioware's work. So why am I saying this? I do not want to bash Overhaul, I just think BGEE id lacking due to the lack of vision, and hope they will deliver more in the future. Especially if they want us to believe in their future products. And if they introduce some of the needed changes I will grumble that's too late, but rather be happy. So far though, nothing I have seen suggest the new interface is customizable and not just better looking, those of you who suggest it is above could whip up some link. :)

1. Re-writing entire engine usually results into introducing new bugs. These bugs can be fixed, due to the fact that BG:EE will have after-release support original games never really have.

2. This one seems legit. I do not know reason behind this.

3. Gog.com? Please...

4. Forcing mods into people's throats isn't any good idea. While I could understand BG1NPC, some mods like SCS or Ascension are out of a question, due to difficulty these mods are adding. I want to beat the game without powergaming, which with Ascension is impossible.

Hmmm what's wrong with gog? And actually most of that point was about embracing Steam.

As for mods - I do not think they should be forced upon people, though Unfinished Business and BG1NPC could, some others could have been provided as options, oh and btw you do realize Ascension was written by one of the original game's devs, while it boosted difficulty too, but also added a better and fuller conclusion.
    scriver said:

2. Well, while I agree the ID2 game has the best functionality, you have to keep in kind that it was a rewritten version of the engine - extracting code from it may not have been easy and it definitely would have led to a plethora of new bugs.

Secondly, and probably the biggest reason from Overhaul's perspective - they weren't allowed to. They have the right to BG assets. They do not have the rights to touch anything from the Icewind Dale series. This is why we couldn't get any of the awesome ID spell effects or monster sprites unless they had already been implemented in the original BG2. So, similarily, they wouldn't have been able to repurpose any of the UI code either or risked a lawsuit. They would have been forced to reinvent the wheel themselves (and even then they might have been in a risky territory law-wise), and that just brings us to your point number 5. Whether a complete or partial reinvention of the ID2 UI would have been a waste will be up to each and everyone to decide themselves of course, but to me, it would have. I've never had that much trouble with any BG or ID1 UI.

You misunderstand, I did not suggest to use IWD2 code, but to implement similar changes. As for changes introducing bugs, well, with this logic what's the point of making a EE? :)
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    1. Agreed. They really dropped the ball on this. It's sad really, pretty much any place I see mention of BGEE it's usually about how buggy it was.

2. Again. This is something they could have improved much more and the next patch/BG2EE seems to be a step in the right direction. Though from what I understand the change is mostly aestethic.

3. Beamdog probably isn't the only one to blame here, though they definitely haven't expressed much enthusiasm to fix the situation either.

4. Completely disagree. Mods like eg. BG1NPCs make way too large changes to the feel of the game, and they definitely aren't universally loved either.

5. Completely agree. Black Pits is a utter waste of time and resources.

6. I'm pretty sure they are working with DavidW to implement something like this in the future.
    @Borskook
    I know that Ascension was writien by one of the original devs. It doesn't change a thing. It's still a mod.

There is nothing wrong about gog.com, besides the fact that every time EE is on the move (releasing EE, dealing with legal problem) gog is making DnD sale just to sell their version of BG to as much people as possible. I cannot blame Overhaul for not working with gog.

@Borskook
    I know that Ascension was writien by one of the original devs. It doesn't change a thing. It's still a mod.

There is nothing wrong about gog.com, besides the fact that every time EE is on the move (releasing EE, dealing with legal problem) gog is making DnD sale just to sell their version of BG to as much people as possible. I cannot blame Overhaul for not working with gog.

Why wouldn't they sell their version of BG? If they had BG:EE they would sell that too, it was decided that EE won't be there before they made their first DnD sale you speak of.

As for mods - of course it's a mod. But its content is as "legitimate" as anything put into BG:EE, more even as some parts of it (same with Unfinished Business) was intended to make into the original game and just were cut. Anyway, again, no mod has to be included by default. But getting steam workshop, or something with similar ease of use would be nice, wouldn't it? There many features that could be implemented easily this way, promised could saves could have been taken care of by steam. But no, promoting beamdog's platform was more important.
    Messi said:

1. Agreed. They really dropped the ball on this. It's sad really, pretty much any place I see mention of BGEE it's usually about how buggy it was.

2. Again. This is something they could have improved much more and the next patch/BG2EE seems to be a step in the right direction. Though from what I understand the change is mostly aestethic.

3. Beamdog probably isn't the only one to blame here, though they definitely haven't expressed much enthusiasm to fix the situation either.

4. Completely disagree. Mods like eg. BG1NPCs make way too large changes to the feel of the game, and they definitely aren't universally loved either.

5. Completely agree. Black Pits is a utter waste of time and resources.

6. I'm pretty sure they are working with DavidW to implement something like this in the future.

I have no bone to pick here, but let me clarify here about no 6, I meant AI in a broad sense, so both enemies and pathfinding, while DavidW can surely do much, and probably will, about the enemy AI there seems to be no work on pathfind front... whereas it is hard to find a review of BG that doesn't talk about this issue.
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    Messi said:

The key word there? "Was". As in, past tense, not present. Somewhere in the region of 400 fixes have been made just post-release, with more to follow.

Now, for most people, the game plays absolutely fine, and for many already did. The original was busted to Hell, with many bugs, some gamebreaking (that house that didn't have an interior coded in BG, causing the game to crash for example). Quests, characters, items, spells, loads have been added, often where it should have been originally and wasn't for whatever reason.

People still calling the game a buggy mess probably either haven't played it lately or would just prefer to think about when it was a legitimate concern so they can keep bitching about it.

Messi said:

The key word there? "Was". As in, past tense, not present. Somewhere in the region of 400 fixes have been made just post-release, with more to follow.

Now, for most people, the game plays absolutely fine, and for many already did. The original was busted to Hell, with many bugs, some gamebreaking (that house that didn't have an interior coded in BG, causing the game to crash for example). Quests, characters, items, spells, loads have been added, often where it should have been originally and wasn't for whatever reason.

People still calling the game a buggy mess probably either haven't played it lately or would just prefer to think about when it was a legitimate concern so they can keep bitching about it.
    Was? There is a big patch in the works, that should solve a lot of the issues, and some have been corrected by fixes posted in the forum. But somebody who does not go to the forum will have one broken quest in the prologue, no ability to run fullscreen on intel GPU and others. This does not warrant past tense sadly...
    edited September 2013
    @Borosook
    Gog.com even gave it's customers info about "how to enhance your Baldur's Gate for free" or something like that. Basically, it was tutorial about mods... So, they did everything in they might to discourage people from buying BG:EE. I cannot imagine them selling BG:EE after all that.

And about steam.... http://store.steampowered.com/app/228280/?snr=1_7_15__13

Ascension's content is nowhere legitimate. Prove me it was just cut-off, because I don't see this over-the-top final fight being considered "missing content" or anything like that. Especially considering difficulty level. People are just making excuse in order to Ascension to be implemented. Fine, ruin my game experience, will you?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2013
    Borsook said:

Some of the mods done in the past years are of better quality than the game itself. Anyone who played BG1 with and without BG1NPC project for example should know what I mean. Those mods could have been made compatible and even integrated into the game, they would be a more welcome addition than... black pits.

Problem with integrating mods is you need the permission of all of the mods creators (writers, programmers, etc). Which (depending on the mod) may not be possible.
    edited September 2013

@Borosook
    Gog.com even gave it's customers info about "how to enhance your Baldur's Gate for free" or something like that. Basically, it was tutorial about mods... So, they did everything in they might to discourage people from buying BG:EE. I cannot imagine them selling BG:EE after all that.

And about steam.... http://store.steampowered.com/app/228280/?snr=1_7_15__13

Ascension's content is nowhere legitimate. Prove me it was just cut-off, because I don't see this over-the-top final fight being considered "missing content" or anything like that. Especially considering difficulty level. People are just making excuse in order to Ascension to be implemented. Fine, ruin my game experience, will you?

I don't know any behind the scenes with gog. I liked that tutorial, and understand that since they could not sell EE they did not want their customers to feel cheated. Any publishing deal with gog could have happen before that.

As for steam, you misunderstand. Overhaul said the game will not come to steam before publishing it, the game was forced there by Atari. But steam is used only to download the game, it doesn't have could support, mod support, multiplayer and other features provided by steam. Because it is sold there against Overhaul's wishes.

As for Ascension- the author claimed he wanted to include some of it in the ToB but they ran out of time. Also I only said it is as legitimate as anything added to the game by overhaul. And you do understand that from the beginning I am saying that mods could be integrated as OPTIONAL content? Also if you run the weidu version of Ascension you will be able to install the story portion without making anything more difficult, have a go if the initial version all those years ago put you off with its difficult.
    elminster said:

Borsook said:

Problem with integrating mods is you need the permission of all of the mods creators (writers, programmers, etc). Which (depending on the mod) may not be possible.
    True, good point. And it was not possible for any of them? Kind of hard to believe. I actually remember back in the day a DVD edition of BG that had some mods added as option (with a menu to install them), wasn't very slick, but it was done at least.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    edited September 2013
    @ZelgadisGW -
    It was supposed to say GoG, not FIV, but my phone's autocorrect changed it. I don't think anyone will ever find anything positive about FIV unless you're like Skeletor levels of evil.

Just posting to clarify, since you've explained yourself since. I'm with Borsook though in that one can't blame GoG for trying to sell the version that they are selling.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    A wasted opportunity to do or experience what? If you don't like them then you don't like them and you don't have to buy them. I thought BGEE was a significant improvement over the original game and based on its improvement I will also get BG2EE. I don't use other people's mods so if I run into something that needs to be fixed I will take care of it. I will also move my old fixes back into the new release.

A wasted opportunity to do or experience what? If you don't like them then you don't like them and you don't have to buy them. I thought BGEE was a significant improvement over the original game and based on its improvement I will also get BG2EE. I don't use other people's mods so if I run into something that needs to be fixed I will take care of it. I will also move my old fixes back into the new release.

Ok, it's a wasted opportunity because there was a need for BG:EE, and plenty of room for improvements, a lot of the obvious ones were not realised, sure I don't have to buy (already did though) but so what? Somebody will make a different BG:EE? Even if someone wanted to, had the resources etc. this will not happen the same time over. Plus do you really think everybody should just like something or shut up? Is critique such a bad thing?