Skip to content

Original UI

MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
edited September 2013 in General Modding
Hi,
as an old school BG player and infinite lover of this game, I had a nostalgic urge to see the old UI in the game. It may be low-res, but I still find it very nice to look at. Texture resolution was never that important to me, neither do I think it defines the quality of graphics. Texture desing, not full HD resolution defines it´s quality.

So I just tried to put old BG textures to EE main menu and here is the result. I think it looks nice, if I have enough patience, I would try to remake more game windows. It is combination of textures from vanilla BG and Tutu GUI for BG1.

Also, I´m an amateur, so don´t expect miracles :)

There are two versions. One with Tutu wooden trim and one with just pure texture.
Post edited by Mathuzzz on
PeccaErgCrawleyagrisKilivitzBalquoDrugarlunarTroodon80TalarashabpmayerAkurowojteksarevok57

Comments

• agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    I like the first (plain) version the most. Looks good tho! I wouldn't mind seeing the rest of the game in this UI.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, with enough patience, awesome things can be done with the GUI. I have wanted (and still want) to make a complete old vanilla GUI mod for some time now, but the scope of it is a little too intimidating. I did make only a handful of testing screens so far with random background wallpapers. Here are some:
    elminstersarevok57wojtek
    edited September 2013
    @Pecca those look amazing! I'd say the first image of @Mathuzzz's menu mixed with your inventory / sidebars, and you've got a sweet classic UI. The only thing I don't care for much is the use of the ship concept art as the menu background.

edit: to be clear, I think the ship as background to the inventory screen is nice.
    That background is just for testing:)

Anyway, back to the OP. If you plan only to change the art and not mess with positions of buttons, etc., it will save you a lot of trouble and is way faster to be completed than my attempt. I'd love to see more.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Centering screens isn't something I'd recommend, because it won't necessarily work with scaling etc.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I like it, I want to try your mod if you ever complete it :-)
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    OK, right now I´m working on Inventory and Character creation screen. However with Inventory I have to edit BAM files and I don´t know which tool to use. Today I spent hours to figure out BAM Workshop. Is there any way to fix the palette there?
    @Mathuzzz @CamDawg and @Archaic might be willing to offer some advice... I think I remember hearing the DLTCEP would slice and dice the GUI? But maybe that's just for the layout, not the art.
    Schopenhauer
  • CrawleyCrawley Member Posts: 74
    I think it would be a good idea to add some sharpening to the background. I downloaded one of your images and test-sharpened it in GIMP - looked pretty good.
    I don´t know whether sharpening low-res images is a good option. I did some little sharpening in Photoshop with other, smaller game windows, but the entire background didn´t look that good. However if I find way to make it look sharper and more consistent, I would be happy! :)
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    @Pecca @Mathuzzz My advice is if you both find the work a little intimidating, why not work together? :). The screens look good in my opinion. I've been waiting for an original UI since release :D. Archaic is the only guy whos put in alot of time for modding the UI for BGEE and it looks great. If you guys could do something similar but in a "classic" style it would be awesome.

Waiting for the new patch to come out might be an idea though as that seems to have a lot of Ui changes (though i dont know if it will affect modding the UI).
    @Excalibur_2102 Archaic´s work is incredible, professional looking, different level quality, compared to me :) But it resembles BG2 UI, that´s why I started to work on my own, which is supposed to look like the BG1.

Thing is I´m only working with the graphics (MOS and BAM files), while @Pecca also changes the layout. I would gladly elaborate and provide graphics, if we could recreate original BG1 layout with the EE additions.
    We'll see what can be done after the new patch is released. There are some changes and it's better to wait for it.
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Bumping this thread :)