Skip to content

No loading on death

ZaraZara Member Posts: 4
edited September 2013 in Feature Requests
I've been playing BG1:EE recently. Much enjoyable, although something bugged me. I was playing multi-player with a party of my own characters and NPCs. Every now and again, due to poor steward ship, one of the characters would momentarily perish. Rather than load the game to return them to health and undo the occurrence of their untimely death, I would take them to be resurrected at the local priesthood. Besides some shame, and a bit of coin, and time on the meta-level, this was something possible. Even more enjoyable to loading for something, that was after all a fact of fantasy life.

Every now and again, and with much sadness and frustration - my main character would perish. Where upon, I would be forced to load. Why must we be forced to load here? It is part of the mechanics of the world that we can resurrect characters. And, at some cost, seems to flow much more in the spirit of that world (and the gaming experience) that the character could be resurrected at a local establishment. Sure, NPCs might not do so (and this could be factored in, i.e., how much they care about your existence and the party).

Is there, or would it be possible to make, a mod where death of the main player character did not force something totally alien to most possible worlds, the possibility of re-loading reality?

Comments

• zupskyzupsky Member Posts: 126
    When PC is killed, what you in the cut scene is exactly what happens to his body. Thats why you can't resurrect him .
  • ZaraZara Member Posts: 4
    Her body turns into a skull emblem?

Fair enough. There is lore behind it.

Nothing to see here.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    We should be able to bandage them up, mummify them, and carry on with the adventure...

I just can't understand why no one agrees with me and sees the obvious benefits of this...
  • CHARNAME's soul belongs to Bhaal and is birthed just for the 'tournament' to find the most ideal host for Bhaal's rebirth. If the candidate dies, Bhaal will reclaim it's soul, absorbing it to be strengthened for rebirth.
    As such, if CHARNAME dies, CHARNAME *is* gone. Forever. (unless you turn back time by loading, of course)

This however does not explain why Imoen is resurrectable... a year-long 'bug', so to speak, that even will not be fixed in BG:EE or BG2:EE.
    edited September 2013

This however does not explain why Imoen is resurrectable... a year-long 'bug', so to speak, that even will not be fixed in BG:EE or BG2:EE.

Well, maybe someone can make a mod that prevents her from being resurrected, to fit in with the wider lore.

It's a pity about the lore, because it does seem to lessen the gaming experience to have to reload, even with the understanding that the player character has higher existential significance than her party.

edited September 2013
    Anduin said:

We should be able to bandage them up, mummify them, and carry on with the adventure...

Ahh, the joys of table-top DnD with a lenient DM. I still fondly remember the shit [idiom] we mummified and carried with us as trophies.
    Post edited by Zara on
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244

CHARNAME's soul belongs to Bhaal and is birthed just for the 'tournament' to find the most ideal host for Bhaal's rebirth. If the candidate dies, Bhaal will reclaim it's soul, absorbing it to be strengthened for rebirth.
    As such, if CHARNAME dies, CHARNAME *is* gone. Forever. (unless you turn back time by loading, of course)

Imoen is special...
    She have magic belt !
    Magic artefact rank S, mark II !

That belt have 2 switchable powers:
    1) Holds her god essence
    2) Make her immortal

You cant see that belt in BG1 because she wear it under underwear :D