Skip to content

So... about Pathfinding?

agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
I ask this question several days ago on the FAQ topic, but no one respond...
What changes/improvements we can expect in this issue?
It's the worst feature on both games... And it really piss me off.

Edit: Grammar
Post edited by agentmulder on

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I'd settle for if characters stopped trying to take the 'alternate route around the entire map' as soon as they bumped into an obstacle.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I thought you were asking about a new game using the Pathfinder RPG system.

As far as path finding in game I never had a problem with it, I've played games with worse.
  • agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    @Delvarian
    I never played a game with worse.
    Maybe Warcraft 2...
    Starcraft 1 it's really good.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    The BG search nodes (3600 max iirc) will be boosted to the BG2 search nodes (40.000), last I heard. That should make pathfinding a fair bit better.
    Hopefully they will find a way to boost it beyond even that, since even in BG2 it wasn't that great.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    The pathfinding in BG2 often seems worse than in BG1. Just try starting outside the Copper Coronet and attempt to get your characters up onto the roof. They hit the first set of stairs and start wandering in random directions.

Of course the best bit is when you are trying to get them through a narrow doorway and into a fight. Last night I was battling the mage in the brothel on Brynnlaw and my party were wandering around in a daze even before he cast Confusion on them. Then he did cast Confusion on them and things got really messy ...
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    The 'bumping' feature of the BG 2 engine as well as the increased search nodes should ease some of your pathfinding woes. I can't say if it's been given any special attention however.