Skip to content

Embarrassing things you forgot - spoilers galore

So returning to this game do you forget things. Going unprepared into battle, getting killed by traps and so forth only to facepalm yourself afterwards?

I admit to have killed charname in the big wall trap in bodhis dungeon not so long ago.

Also it's horror you should cast on viekang in saradush, not spook. The latter do seem to upset the entire inn.

So this is the opportunity to confess the embarrassing mistakes you have made even though you have been there before.

Comments

• MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    I often go into a fight and get destroyed by one particular spell/effect.

Then I reload, remembering to cast the specific protection spell against that effect, but forgetting something else.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    ...get to Karoug and forget to pick up the special weapons he can be only hit with. Epic facepalm.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    ...comimg to Cloakwood without antidotes and getting ambushed by wyverns...

almost always means losing NPCs and a big need to carry their items to the nearest temple

• pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    In my early games I occasionally wandered around happily with with my flail of ages +2.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    The only party member who ever sets off traps is my thief. I remember vaguely where most traps are but never exactly, and never move slowly enough for find traps to "tick" and highlight them.

Hence a thief with 100% find traps sets off traps galore.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    jscohen said:

Every time I play, I sit down at some point and actively look at the differences between the various anti-spell protection measures (Breach, Dispel Magic, Remove Magic, etc). And the next time I play, I've forgotten again.

So true. And in BG2 it gets even worse (spell trust, pierce magic, pierce shield etc.)
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    edited September 2013
    I forget every time I go to click on a spell. I have to pause and go and look at the spell description. It's a good job I play turn based otherwise I'd die even more than I already do.

EDIT: (Because I really can't post any message without editing... & I can't count the number of times I've forgotten to swap my spells out before resting, relearn the ones I've lost through getting level drained and and cast spells in Athkatla without a licence.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    In BG2 I always forget to pay off the Cowled Wizards so I can cast magic in Athkatla. So when I get into a fight in the street they show up and wipe out my whole party.
  • XerxesVXerxesV Member Posts: 187
    For the friendly arm inn quest I always forget to pick up the spider body, and if I don't go back immediately I'll end up selling the boots on accident when I liquidate my inventory.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    On my first no reload attempt, I happily took down Tarnesh and then forgot the temp beserker hp bonus. He dropped dead 5 feet inside the FAI.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Very often I find many unidentified items in the inventory -> then change all my mage's 1st level arcane spells on "Identify" -> then rest -> then happily identify all items ->

then rest again, travel and find some tough enemies... I'm ready to fight... wait! I don't need 7 "Identify" spells for it...facepalm

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    What @Corvino said.

I also forgot every single run that there is no merchant selling normal helms on the Carnival. So I usually free Branwen - remembered to buy a Stone to Flesh scroll in a temple - and have armor, weapon, shield... and no helm. Then I kill the exploding ogre to loot a helm. Of course, the ogre has no helm, which I also forget every time.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Corvino said:

I often end up selling Perdue's sword, Joseph's greenstone ring and any quest item that looks sort of like a generic item. Then I forget who I sold them to.

I always forget to even pick up Perdue's sword, because it looks just like any other short sword.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    edited September 2013
    I forget to quick save -.-
    "Finally. I've almost got this whole area explored. Oh hey, is that a basil-"
    -stares at load file from way back-
    "Dammit"
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    edited September 2013
    Same as @Wilbur @jscohen
    Thats why i love this article http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/SpellProtections.htm
    btw @Dee it would be great to include this info to the Manual.
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    Spends 10 minutes timing pre-buffs...
    Foiled by potion of magic shielding - Overrides all buffs.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    When I came back to bg after a few years of forgetting about it I forgot that the quick-save comes up at the top and though it was a glitch, and wheat for hours overwriting a save instead before I remembered. Felt really stupid after I did. :)
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    my most embarrassing thing is probably.....forget things like chill touch and slay living enchants your hands so i cast the spell and think nothings happened
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    I keep casting Improved Invisibility on my allies and then I go to heal them and discover that I cannot target invisible or sanctioned creatures.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    Raised a party member in a temple. Went adventuring. Forgot the equipment. You can still not change amour during battle. Went back to temple.

Facepalm
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    I completely forgot about the trap on the small bridge in the sewers below the Copper Coronet, getting my PC petrified.

*facepalm*

As you can imagine, the latest savegame was the autosave from when I entered the sewers.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I always forget to give Joia her flamedance ring. It's remarkably consistent.

I also tend to forget the orders of the Cloakwood areas, which isn't so bad, and where the second suit of full plate drops, which is somewhat more problematic.