Skip to content

iOS 7

With the release of iOS 7 today I am wondering if Baldurs Gate is compatible with the update.
riyahhassett

Comments

• TeischusTeischus Member Posts: 28
    With their update policy it will be maybe in a year or so, with release of ios8, but maybe we are lucky and it works without an app update
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    We have done some informal testing of BGEE on iOS 7, and it seems to be working without an issue. There may be a slight increase in load/save times, but other than that we've observed no other problems.

That being said, with our efforts focused on getting the open beta ready, we have not done any formal QA of BGEE on iOS 7. Since you cannot revert to iOS 6 after upgrading, you may want to hold off on upgrading until we've done further testing.
    FeronasMoira
    Hold off? For a year or how long? Patch will never be released
  • PoeserPubePoeserPube Member Posts: 20
    Haha. nice speach, Illydth.
    Thats the reason after all: "real code with real bugs"... wow!

But anyway, I'm with Teischus... This patch - especially with full German support as originally proclaimed - will never ever arrive on my iPad. I am pretty sure with this. Anbody want to make a bet? :-)
    Teischus
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @PoeserPube being a beta tester I'll have to refuse the bet... you know... unfair advantage on my side :)

On a more serious note the problem of other languages right now is that adding them makes BG bigger than the App Store 2gb limit, text alone makes BG around 2.2gb, let's not even count audio. A solution for this problem is being studied.

And before anyone asks, further detail can't be provided right now.
    The filesize for the textfiles is maybe 1-2mb, with jb u can simply put your language in game and it works! I can wait for translated voices, but why dont you add just the damn textfiles? Dont get it.. And translation is finished almost 6 months ago
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    mlnevese said:

@PoeserPube being a beta tester I'll have to refuse the bet... you know... unfair advantage on my side :)

On a more serious note the problem of other languages right now is that adding them makes BG bigger than the App Store 2gb limit, text alone makes BG around 2.2gb, let's not even count audio. A solution for this problem is being studied.

And before anyone asks, further detail can't be provided right now.

A suggestion: Would it not be possible to make the language into languagepacks downloaded separately? Like add-ons/ free dlc?

Is the 2gb app store limit for apps while on app store or a size limit for apps on the pad?
    alnair
    Currently, in app purchases for BGEE and most apps works by enabling or disabling content which is already downloaded. It is theoretically possible to have in-app downloadable content, but we would have to implement the downloader as part of the app, and set up the server infrastructure to spport it (or pay Apple for the space). Our priority is currently to get the BG:EE update finished and to get BGII:EE ready to go.
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    So you will need Objective-C developers after all... ;)
  • AlexBiAlexBi Member Posts: 31
    edited September 2013
    Cerevant said:

Currently, in app purchases for BGEE and most apps works by enabling or disabling content which is already downloaded. It is theoretically possible to have in-app downloadable content, but we would have to implement the downloader as part of the app, and set up the server infrastructure to spport it (or pay Apple for the space). Our priority is currently to get the BG:EE update finished and to get BGII:EE ready to go.

Some games (for example Broken sword 1 and 2) use iTunes feature for add documents to apps...

http://www.revolution.co.uk/support/bs1dc/

(Yes.... I'm annoyed for the delay of patch and language files...)
  • ChackChack Member Posts: 23
    Has anyone been running this in the new iOS7? How was the experience? I still haven't downloaded the new OS, i will probably do it this weekend, but i wanted to know first if the iaps remained available (as there were problems reinstalling bgee and loosing the iap).
    AlexBi said:

Some games (for example Broken sword 1 and 2) use iTunes feature for add documents to apps...

As long as BeamDog doesn't charge anything for the additional data, they could even host the language packs in any format and on any server so that anyone can download them; then the BG:EE app could act as handler just to open (i.e. install) them. The 2-GB limit is for the app itself, but there's no limit about how much data it can store.

@Cerevant, let me know if I should expand on this idea :)
    Chack said:

Has anyone been running this in the new iOS7?

@Illydth did, but we are still waiting for new reports.
    @alnair I have not doubt that it can be done, but right now it would be a significant new feature that I don't think fits with our current priorities of getting the patch & BGII:EE out.

I'm not committing to anything at this point, but there are a number of tablet enhancements being considered for future updates.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I have iOS 7 on my iPad mini and can report that all is fine with baldurs gate. My painting app,(procreate)however now crashes and deletes my paintings and photo edits:(
    iOS 7 it's self, I do not care for. Some features are good, like control center, but there was nothing wrong with the way the app icons looked before. I can't zoom out my wallpaper anymore, and iTunes Radio isn't all that I had hoped for. It's also rather laggy. That is saying a lot for me, I am quite the apple purist. I still think an iPhone is better than any other samsung or android product, despite this.
    Chack
    edited September 2013
    @Cerevant All right, and good to know about the enhancements (even though I don't own any tablet).

Just to clarify, however, what I was suggesting is a simpler alternative to downloadable in-app content, which as you said isn't feasible right now.

The only modification required in the app would be having it register as handler for .tlk and whatever extension the voiceover files have, then just copy them in the right position when they're opened. Pretty simple stuff, actually, assuming the app has at least a loader portion relying on CocoaTouch (as opposed to being completely lower-level C++, I mean).

Edit: I'm quite sure the App Delegate (which is where all the new code would be) is pretty much not optional.
    @alnair Understood, but it is still a feature, and those of us on the QA side are trying very hard to remind those on the Dev side that we are in a feature freeze :)
    @Cerevant Oh well, I can relate to that :)
  • PoeserPubePoeserPube Member Posts: 20
    mlnevese said:

Seems as If I have won my bet... Still no German Support with patch 1.2 and after about a 150month wait...
    So, what will be my reward? Some money back, maybe?

• nsrnsr Member Posts: 174
    edited December 2013

Seems as If I have won my bet... Still no German Support with patch 1.2 and after about a 150month wait...
    So, what will be my reward? Some money back, maybe?

Actually, I think you may have lost your bet. When you first bought BGEE, the money you put down was a gamble that German support was coming shortly. If the support had come, you would have won and the money would have turned into a working (for you) copy of BGEE. Since the support hasn't come, you've lost your stakes.

Of course I am hoping that your bet will pay off and the German language support will come, but I think I can understand that you don't wish to gamble any further.