Spam
Spam
Spam
Spam

Lovely spam
Lovely spam
Lovely spam

Spam, spam, spam, spam

As you may have noticed, the "Spam" and "Abuse" flags have been disabled. This is because, let's be honest, no one liked them.

If you see someone causing trouble or posting canned processed meat, send me or one of the gray-background moderators a PM.

Do not send developers a message to report behavioral issues. They're here to relax in the thirty seconds between eighteen-hour development sessions. They can answer questions and help out as needed, but I'd rather people contact me directly (or one of the many excellent volunteer moderators we have).

If you have any questions, this is the place to ask them. Otherwise, GAME ON!

--Dee
Awong124[Deleted User]elminsterAendaeronBluescaleCuvMoira[Deleted User]MortiannakaguanaSamuelVargAristilliusCrevsDaak

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    elminsterAendaeronBluescaleAristilliusCrevsDaak
  • Is it okay if i mark activity spam with "@ [mod name] delete this please"?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    If it's obviously a spambot, then that's fine; but for general behavior issues (people breaking the rules, etc.) I would rather people send a PM.
    AendaeronBluescale
  • Yes, will do this only on obvious spambots.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    How do the spam bots always know to post in the New Members Welcome Area? I never see them in any other category.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Awong124
    Jamie's got some moves.
    elminster
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited September 2013
    Awong124 said:

How do the spam bots always know to post in the New Members Welcome Area? I never see them in any other category.

They always pick the first postable subforum, which happens to be "Welcome Area".
    Awong124TJ_Hooker
    Dee said:

Maybe we should create a new category called "Spambots post here"...

Yeah do that, but make it so that posts in that category won't show up in the recent discussion feed.
    [Deleted User]ErgalnairCrevsDaak
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    Maybe somewhere should be a list of all moderators, because I'm not sure how known they are. I myself only remember @mlnevese for example.
    HeindrichalnairkaguanaCrevsDaak
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Awww... I always used the spam and abuse record on a person's profile to make a quick judgement on their character and human value.

just kiddin'...
    CuvTJ_HookerAristilliusCrevsDaak
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Pecca We were actually discussing this. I believe a sticky will be created.
    PeccaMoirakaguanaCrevsDaak
    Dee said:

If it's obviously a spambot, then that's fine; but for general behavior issues (people breaking the rules, etc.) I would rather people send a PM.

Obvious spambots are quite easy to spot in the activity section of the forum. The ones that post no links and just create a post in one of the sub forums are the hard ones to locate. Fortunately they seem to focus in the New Members Area.
    Awong124 said:

I've been asking myself that question since we first located one of those threads, deleted it and banned the bot. My conclusion is that they must be programmed to enter the first subforum they find in the forums list and post there.
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    I actually found it useful that spambots' posts were automatically burned when 5 normal users flagged them as spam... I guess we'll notice spam way more frequently now, and/or @Dee's inbox (and probably @mInevese's as well) will get quite a lot of traffic :)
    DeeCrevsDaak
    @Shandyr If my theory is right so is yours :)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    alnair said:

I actually found it useful that spambots' posts were automatically burned when 5 normal users flagged them as spam...

If this is true then why was it removed? Sounds like a pretty good system for quickly getting rid of useless posts.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The trouble was that the system was also being used to flag actual community members, often unjustly.

A spambot doesn't care if you flag its post; a person, more often than not, does.
    ShinalnairelminsterCrevsDaak
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2013
    Oh thank God. All anybody used Abuse for was "HEY I DISAGREE!" while Spam was used as "I DID NOT LIKE THIS POST!"
    CrevsDaak
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Hey, I want my 1 spam back! Forum stats (even "bad" ones) ftw!

Okay. Well. Not really. As it wasn't even actually spam. But I can see how someone could have thought it was.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Awong124 said:

Jamie's got some moves.

I'm pretty sure that's Adam in a Jamie mask they made for one of the myths they were testing.

/someoneiswrongontheinternet
    Awong124TJ_HookerelminsterCrevsDaak

Awong124 said:

Jamie's got some moves.

I'm pretty sure that's Adam in a Jamie mask they made for one of the myths they were testing.

/someoneiswrongontheinternet
    I think you're right. It just never crossed my mind. I actually watched that episode.
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    Every spam is sacred.
    alnairElectricMonkelminsterCrevsDaak

Every spam is sacred.

Monty Pyton in a thread about spam. It was unavoidable I think :)
    SamuelVargCrevsDaak