Skip to content

Who do you love?

Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
So who do you romance when you are playing BG2?

When I first played BG2 I didn't realise that there was a romance element so it took me by surprise the first time one of my NPCs started to chat me up. I'm a guy but I was playing as a female character and suddenly I found Anomen wanted to whisper sweet nothings in my ear. And frankly it creeped me out. In the end I had to get rid of him.

When playing a male character, Viconia is the only girl for me. Aerie is just too soppy and being romanced by Jaheira is like being chatted up by your mum.

However, I generally play as a female paladin, who is steadfast and true ... and celibate.

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Jaheira.
    Aerie is too meek and sad, Viconia is sexy but unneccessarily mean, Anomen is...Anomen. Jaheira is a lot more mature and I can handle a little bossiness.
    I've romanced Kelsey, which was pretty good (until a bug broke the romance and I didn't feel like reloading a game from a week before) and am currently chatting up Kivan which is confusing at some times, very melodramatic at others.

If one day a Yeslick romance is released, I will dive right into it. Dwarves get no love.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    @Drugar

I didn't know there was a mod for a romance with Kivan. Does it develop the story between him and Viconia? I always wondered what was meant to be going on between those two. It felt like it was more than just a male elf / female drow thing.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    edited August 2012
    I don't have Viconia in my party, I don't know. I do know that in order to actually start the romance, you need to convince him that his wife, and her spirit, are dead and gone. Which is pretty harsh. Even after that, he's very tricky to work with.
    Though, considering he's basicly a ticking timebomb of vengeance, it's understandable.

Funny part:
    [Spoiler]When you encounter Tazok again, he flips out and murders the hell out of him. Then grabs a knife and cuts out Tazok's heart, which he keeps as an inventory item. As expected, this drives him a little more insane. I got some conversations about it later where I think I could've influenced his behavior and obsessive tendencies. I fanned the flames a little more, don't know what other outcomes may have as a result.[/Spoiler]
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    That sounds like a good mod. I always liked Kivan - mainly because he is an elf who sounds like Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry. Not sure I'd want to romance him though ...
  • ConphantusConphantus Member Posts: 51
    Viconia, but I'll probably have to break up with her due to Neera entering the BG meat market
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Viconia, always. The development of her romance is satisfying like no other in-game relation I've seen.

Though I could add, if you play a good guy, the epilogue update by Laufey (contained in the Edwin romance mod of all places) does in my opinion provide a better conclusion than the original one,
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    Trent .D
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited August 2012
    temptation to say "your mum" rising. Must... resist...
  • SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    Anomen was a dink. Never liked the guy and always made him fail trying to get into the Knight order. Jaheria was fun for a philosophical discussion on the nature of morality and remember those that have died, but then you remember: I'm trying to screw of Khalid from the first game. Viconia could be fun if I was playing more loosey goosey with reputation and Aerie was the simple one that you did because....why the hell not.
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    I feel soooo far from the mainstream by preferring Aerie! =P

Jaheira is too bossy for me, and I didn't even keep her in BG1. Viconia is OK, until she pisses Aerie off so bad, I eventually kicked her out of my party.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Being that I always play a female character, I don't get a choice. Get back to me when EE finally comes out.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I love myself and romance my keyboard a lot. and my mouse gets some love too here and then. Other then that, viconia has a nice backyard 101% worth to date.
  • AndrewRogueAndrewRogue Member Posts: 72
    Nalia. I don't care if she's not official. I just can't hate her misguided attempts to do the right things. =(

Thankfully, JCompton made it possible to express my lubz for her.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    Romances were never a major point for me, though I did romance the BG2 npcs out of curiosity, as well as one from BG1 NPC Project, Dynaheir.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Aerie-chan.<3
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    Without a doubt it was Viconia, coming in second Aerie with Jaheira a non option.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    i never liked any of the romance options to be honest :/

Viconia, Jaheira, Aerie, 2 elfs and a half elf, too exotic for me >_<
  • selous_scoutselous_scout Member Posts: 8
    Viconia and, unofficialy, Imoen :P. Viconia has a satisfying, well written romance and I've always had a thing for Immy and enjoyed her modded romance.

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    BG2 is one of those games where, looking back, you can see how much BioWare has evolved over the years. A female Bhaalspawn has exactly one love interest and he's a drip (Ao help you if you're evil), "Jade Empire" gives you more options but sabotages some of them, "Dragon Age: Origins" has a much deeper romance storyline that plays out throughout the entire game, but restricts some characters to specific PC genders (ie: you can't romance Morrigan as a woman, even though you wouldn't think she'd mind given her antipathy towards social norms). Then comes "Dragon Age II", where anyone in your party can be romanced no matter who you're RPing. :)
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    shawne said:

Then comes "Dragon Age II", where anyone in your party can be romanced no matter who you're RPing. :)

Which is horrible, IMO.
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113

However, I generally play as a female paladin, who is steadfast and true ... and celibate.

Statements like this sound eerily familiar to what I would hear in bars from women as a younger man..:-)
    Aliteri said:

Which is horrible, IMO.

Why? Romance is an optional component, and one that's personal to each player - if my character genuinely likes a specific party member, and this is a game in which player choice is a factor, who cares what goes down between them?
  • sirseorsirseor Member Posts: 19
    shawne said:

Aliteri said:

Which is horrible, IMO.

Why? Romance is an optional component, and one that's personal to each player - if my character genuinely likes a specific party member, and this is a game in which player choice is a factor, who cares what goes down between them?
    I think the concern is that this limits what type of characters can exist. Sexuality is part of who a person is, and not all characters really work that way. For example: Keldorn could not exist if every NPC must be ready and willing to romance every possible PC. (Or it would feel extremely awkward and out of place, although the same would be true of almost any paladin, or anyone significantly older, or of an incompatible race, etc.)

I am not saying that there should be no options, (that is the developers choice) But that requiring every NPC to essentially be a young, romantically inclined bi-sexual limits what characters can actually be made.

• etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    download mod... removes restrictions, romance all
    P.I.M.P ; )
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Who do I love? My girlfriend is one great example XD

I romanced all characters, ANOMEN included. I guess that's the only positive aspect of him anyway - unpleasant guy, goodish romance XD
    And mind you, if I find Anomen unpleasant that certainly means that the writers did a great job. Writing a sloppy character who you are indifferent about, THAT is a bad job.

Overall, I say that I liked Viconia's romance the most. Simply because it's different. It's hard to compare it to a do-good-er with cut wings, a woman that TERRIBLY wants to be the boss and a tough ass (sorry about the term) while she hops on the PC the first given opportunity (sorry for the mental image) and a priest that struggles to understand what's good and wrong (although that's a nice touch, I admit).

So yeah, Viconia would be my choice. Here is hoping for some awesome romances with, I dunno, Dorn! He isn't that bad looking for a half-orc... now if only his intelligence was superior to 1, it would be JUST PERFECT! :)

PS - no idea why I capitalized so many words O_O
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Imoen. What can I say, its worth it. ;)
    sirseor said:

I think the concern is that this limits what type of characters can exist. Sexuality is part of who a person is, and not all characters really work that way. For example: Keldorn could not exist if every NPC must be ready and willing to romance every possible PC. (Or it would feel extremely awkward and out of place, although the same would be true of almost any paladin, or anyone significantly older, or of an incompatible race, etc.)

This assumes that all romances work the same way, but that doesn't have to be the case. In "Mass Effect 2" you could express a romantic interest in Samara, but you could never actually be with her because of who she is; in "Dragon Age II" Sebastian Vael is basically a priest and your romance with him is described as a "chaste marriage".

To take your example, Keldorn's own quest involves his wife cheating on him, and you can either arrest her or talk to the other guy - a third option would be to convince Keldorn to leave his wife, for her own happiness, and that would allow you to get closer to him yourself. Sure, many players wouldn't choose this route... but the fact that it exists wouldn't alter your RPing experience unless you actively pursued it.
  • lmaoboatlmaoboat Member Posts: 72
    shawne said:

BG2 is one of those games where, looking back, you can see how much BioWare has evolved over the years. A female Bhaalspawn has exactly one love interest and he's a drip (Ao help you if you're evil), "Jade Empire" gives you more options but sabotages some of them, "Dragon Age: Origins" has a much deeper romance storyline that plays out throughout the entire game, but restricts some characters to specific PC genders (ie: you can't romance Morrigan as a woman, even though you wouldn't think she'd mind given her antipathy towards social norms). Then comes "Dragon Age II", where anyone in your party can be romanced no matter who you're RPing. :)

Never thought I'd hear "evolved" as a word to describe Dragon Age 2.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Cheesebelly: Heehee. ^_^ *hugs*

My male PC romanced Jaheira in BG 2, until the romance got broken because my party stayed too long in the Underdark. I think the romances are a bit overdone in the Mass Effect series, btw. Too many people obsessed with blue babies on the Bioware Social Network, that's for sure. >_>