Skip to content

[Release] Difficulty and Tweak mod ver 7

BorsookBorsook Member Posts: 152
edited April 2016 in General Modding
UPDATE - updated the mod to Ver7, the only change is added BG2EE compatibility.

This is a mod that allows you to change item stacking, enemies HPs, AC, Saves and Thac0 plus some other tweaks. It allows you to set how much you want to change it. Please read the readme before installing, it will work with any IE game, including BGEE, since it's Weidu mod it will work with any version, including future patches.

I did not have a chance to test it that much with BGEE, so if you think some enemy is not modified, or some neutral creature is please let me know.

Readme: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uz14b1n3ic7swna/readme-DiffTweak.html?dl=0

a zipped version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/an1hcwvfhzexm9u/Diff_Tweak.zip?dl=0
Post edited by Borsook on
CharanWilburTisamonJamesBorrro

Comments

• CharanCharan Member Posts: 118
    Very useful tool. Thank you.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Does this work with SCS (BG:EE)?
  • BorsookBorsook Member Posts: 152
    Wilbur said:

yes, it should. SCS modifies mostly the AI scripts, this mod boosts the stats and doesn't touch the AI and spell selection, the mod doesn't overwrite any files but patches them. So there should be no problem. I would suggest installing SCS first and this later.
    Wilbur
    edited September 2013
    Borsook said:

Wilbur said:

yes, it should. SCS modifies mostly the AI scripts, this mod boosts the stats and doesn't touch the AI and spell selection, the mod doesn't overwrite any files but patches them. So there should be no problem. I would suggest installing SCS first and this later.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm looking for a combination of mods that makes removing exp cap more like a necessity. I just hate playing with exp cap since you hit it too early IMO in BG1/BG1:EE.

I'm not sure how much more difficult SCS alone makes the game (haven't played with it before), but I'm thinking not difficult enough.
    SmilingSword
    Wilbur said:

Borsook said:

Wilbur said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm looking for a combination of mods that makes removing exp cap more like a necessity. I just hate playing with exp cap since you hit it too early IMO in BG1/BG1:EE.

I'm not sure how much more difficult SCS alone makes the game (haven't played with it before), but I'm thinking not difficult enough.
    SCS will make big difficulty when it comes to enemy mages, plus it makes some special fight very difficult. A lot of normal encounters will be left with no change. If you use the max options in my mod you should have a lot of challenge, just remember that some changes (HP) are done on a percentage bases, so going for max will make some monster very, very hard to kill :)
    @Borsook

Are there a lot of enemies this mod doesn't affect? It doesn't seem to have an effect on the first assasin I encountered in Candlekeep (Shank). Should it affect all new content in BG:EE?
    Wilbur said:

@Borsook

Are there a lot of enemies this mod doesn't affect? It doesn't seem to have an effect on the first assasin I encountered in Candlekeep (Shank). Should it affect all new content in BG:EE?

Theoretically it should affect everybody. What the mod does is go through .cre files and modify those of enemies. What is a problem are neutrals, who become enemies because of some event, like Shank. I could make it do all the neutrals too... do you think that would be better?
    edited September 2013
    Borsook said:

Wilbur said:

@Borsook

Theoretically it should affect everybody. What the mod does is go through .cre files and modify those of enemies. What is a problem are neutrals, who become enemies because of some event, like Shank. I could make it do all the neutrals too... do you think that would be better?
    It would probably be better that way, at least I don't see a downside. There are a lot of encounters where the enemy who initiates dialogue with the party is neutral until the dialogue is finished. At least I would like all the meaningful encounters to be affected.

And if you wanna butcher the whole city of Baldur's Gate it will be that much more difficult :)

Edit. When I open CRE-files in EE Keeper the only stat is see change is hitpoints (not AC, thac0 or saving throws). Am I doing something wrong?
    edited September 2013
    Well, some of those situations actually make use of different cre files... anyway, I will try to test it for including neutrals. Back in the day, when I was working on version 1 of the mod, there was a reason to exclude neutrals, I don't remember it now to be honest, it was some years ago...

As for the rest - a silly question but - did you install the component boosting those stats?

EDIT. Ok, just looking at the current code, Shank and other starting as neutrals should be modified, currently the code excludes the following files:

PATCH_IF (NOT ("%biography%" > 0) AND NOT ("%Ally%" = 5) AND NOT ("%Ally%" = 20) AND NOT ("%Ally%" = 3) AND NOT ("%Ally%" = 30) AND NOT ("%Ally%" = 1) AND NOT ("%Ally%" = 4) AND NOT ("%Ally%" = 2))

neutrals have Ally=128, so it should be included... strange. I will run some tests when I have a bit of time and see what's wrong.
    Post edited by Borsook on
    Wilbur
    edited September 2013
    Borsook said:

As for the rest - a silly question but - did you install the component boosting those stats?

Not a silly question at all, but yes I did and the component installed successfully. I also tried it with different values when I tried fighting Shank. I think his HPs might have been increased though. I will test this more later too.

Edit. I will later test this on my other PC (lapton) which I usually play on.
    Post edited by Wilbur on
    Wilbur said:

Borsook said:

Not a silly question at all, but yes I did and the component installed successfully. I also tried it with different values when I tried fighting Shank. I think his HPs might have been increased though. I will test this more later too.

Wilbur, I have just tested the matter, and the mod works as intended. I opened the .cre files before and after running it in Nearinfinity (which I recommend btw). I tested gnoll, shank and Minsc. For Gnoll and Shank both HP and other stats were correctly modified, Minsc had no changes. So everything was as it should be.

My tests were run on Steam version of the game and running with full administrative rights. Not sure if that matters, but just in case. The mod should tell you that it modifies 2156 .cre files in both components.
    edited September 2013
    Borsook said:

Wilbur said:

Borsook said:

Wilbur, I have just tested the matter, and the mod works as intended. I opened the .cre files before and after running it in Nearinfinity (which I recommend btw). I tested gnoll, shank and Minsc. For Gnoll and Shank both HP and other stats were correctly modified, Minsc had no changes. So everything was as it should be.

My tests were run on Steam version of the game and running with full administrative rights. Not sure if that matters, but just in case. The mod should tell you that it modifies 2156 .cre files in both components.
    Then the problem seems to be my installation/configuration. Like I said I will try this on my other PC later today which has no mods installed atm. First I'll try it without SCS and then with it. I'll inform how it turns out. Thanks for helping!

Edit. I have NearInfinity and will try using it the next time. Thanks for the advice.
    Borsook said:

The mod should tell you that it modifies 2156 .cre files in both components.

I'll check if this number matches when I install the mod.

I'd also like to know if the changes made by your mod confict with SCS tactical challenges components that alter some of the enemies and the chapter end battles. I know nothing about modding with NearInfinity, but I have a feeling you can only use one or the other.

edited September 2013
    Wilbur said:

Borsook said:

The mod should tell you that it modifies 2156 .cre files in both components.

I'll check if this number matches when I install the mod.

I'd also like to know if the changes made by your mod confict with SCS tactical challenges components that alter some of the enemies and the chapter end battles. I know nothing about modding with NearInfinity, but I have a feeling you can only use one or the other.

The mod doesn't use nearinfinity, it's just a good app to browse the files quickly. The mod uses weidu, look at the file DiffTweak.tp2 to see the code. It reads the bytes where the stats are kept and then modifies them according to user input, it tries to omit joinable characters or summoned monsters. Because of this you can use it with any other mod, especially since SCS doesn't modify the same bits.
    @Borsook

I made a backup of my override folder and did a clean install of the mod and it worked as expected. Then I installed SCS back and it seems to be working. I'll do some more testing when I have more time on my hands.
    Wilbur said:

@Borsook

I made a backup of my override folder and did a clean install of the mod and it worked as expected. Then I installed SCS back and it seems to be working. I'll do some more testing when I have more time on my hands.

Great! I would recommend installing SCS first, this will allow you to change options in my mod easier (because you can change them mid-game), if scs is installed as second and change some option weidu will uinstall SCS, change the option and then install it again. Plus while I can say for sure my mod only patches files and doesn't overwrite files I can't be sure about SCS :) So go with SCS as the first one.
    Thank you @Borsook

Now I think I just have to wait for the new patch to be released before I start a new game. I'll then install SCS first and then your mod.
  • SarnindSarnind Member Posts: 256
    edited November 2013
    great mod, can u put a optional for increase xp rate and if possible additional attacks ?
    Sarnind said:

great mod, can u put a optional for increase xp rate and if possible additional attacks ?

I could,but why? The purpose of the mod is to make the game harder, not easier... Anyway there is Simding0's mod that allows you to tweak experience rate to your liking, I did not try it with BGEE, but it should work: http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=110&Itemid=83
    nope dingo mod reduce xp not increase , if you can I would be grateful, more customization, more fun, Thx anyway
    Sarnind said:

nope dingo mod reduce xp not increase , if you can I would be grateful, more customization, more fun, Thx anyway

You're right, but it's very simple to change it. For the time being download DEFJAM_V6. Unpack it and open in notepad file setup-xpmod.tp2 and find line
    OUTER_SET "percentage_modifier" = 10
    Change this 10 to a percentage you want, e.g. 150 and run setup-xpmod.exe choose "reduce xp to 10% and it will be raised by 50%.

Sim's code for this is extremely well written, I could use it to make options like that, but since I am never going to use them (again, want the game harder and not easier, never understood the logic that harder enemies have to give more xp) I'm not sure I want to add a component I am not going to test.

doesn t work with bg EE
    Sarnind said:

doesn t work with bg EE

Did you unpack to the correct folder? Beamdog's version uses a different structure than Steam version or BG 1/2. Anyway, I'll have a look.
    ok sry , my fault, it work perfectly, i have combined u mod with a slightly xp increase plus stratagem cost mod. it s fantastic , is a another game.
    Sarnind said:

ok sry , my fault, it work perfectly, i have combined u mod with a slightly xp increase plus stratagem cost mod. it s fantastic , is a another game.

Great! :)
    and work with horizon
  • shadow85shadow85 Member Posts: 128
    Sarnind said:

hey can you tell me how you got SCS with this to work? Which order did you install them in?

edited November 2013
    is simple if u fail a step u must to unistall baldur s gate and reinstall. 1- install BG EE
    2- put dialog.tlk from english folder to main bg folder(00766)
    3- install horizon(00766 folder)
    4- install SCS(00766 folder)
    5- install Borsook s mod (200% hp is a must!) and last if u want simdingo mod for boost or reduce xp rate.
    work all perfectly! it s a another game simple fantastic.
    Sarnind said:

is simple if u fail a step u must to unistall baldur s gate and reinstall. 1- install BG EE
    2- put dialog.tlk from english folder to main bg folder(00766)
    3- install horizon(00766 folder)
    4- install SCS(00766 folder)
    5- install Borsook s mod (200% hp is a must!) and last if u want simdingo mod for boost or reduce xp rate.
    work all perfectly! it s a another game simple fantastic.

Actually you don't need to move dialog.tlk, it can even be a bad idea. The installer for my mod will make a hard link for it (so it will stay in its default location but be visible in the one recognized by mods)
    shadow85 said:

Sarnind said:

hey can you tell me how you got SCS with this to work? Which order did you install them in?

This mod should be compatible with all other mods, I would suggest to install it last as it looks for and modifies .cre files, so if other mod changed them or added some, running this mod last will ensure everything is included. The mod only patches bytes responsible for HP, Thac0, AC etc so it will not overwrite other changes.