I am playing BG Tutu w/the following Mods:

HardTimes-v2
BG1UB_v12
bg1npc-v20
level1npcs-v1.7
bg2_tweaks-v11
Randomizer-v68
scs-v21 (- Tactical Challenges)

I just considered adding Minsc who I have changed to a Berserker w/Lvl1NPCs. When I did so, he jumped up to Level 4. I read somewhere where this happens if you use Lvl1NPCs to change an NPC to Barbarian, but not to Berserker.

Here's my question. Does anyone know if it'll happen again when he levels up next? If it'll only level up to level 5, that might be okay but if he'll jump up to level 8 or something that won't work. The problem is that if I wait to find out, that'll be hours of lost game time for me since I play slowly and usually only get any time in on the weekends.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'd be happy to carry on w/my party as is w/o Minsc but wanted to know the answer to my question before I decided.

CT

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited September 2013
    How much experience did he have from the start? If you change a person with Lvl1NPC he'll still have the experience he had before, and will reach up to a level that would match that experience.

If you're playing with LvL1NPC in BG2 you'll be levling up the NPC's you join from 1 to 10-12.

I hope this explains it, or i might have read all of this wrong.
  • It was my initial meeting and add of Minsc. Most of the party was somewhere between 1600-2000 experience Points @ the time.

As soon as I added Minsc, he leveled up to over 9400 experience points & 4th level.

I'd not have been surprised w/2nd level but @ that time only one member of the party was even 2nd level.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    edited September 2013
    @CharlestonianTemplar - My advice would be to update level 1 npcs since the latest update is 1.9 and you're using 1.7, and I would suggest starting over too.

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=733

However, that's assuming if you're using Windows or Linux.

• @CharlestonianTemplar - My advice would be to update level 1 npcs since the latest update is 1.9 and you're using 1.7, and I would suggest starting over too.

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=733

However, that's assuming if you're using Windows or Linux.

Good catch, Sapphire. Well, since I've died once already, guess it's a good time to do so. Thanks! CT
  • Looks like my BG_Tweaks is old too so I think I'll definitely take your advise and reload w/the latest of each. I think NPC Project and SCS are okay. I'll look into HTs and UB too. I'm still not too smart at all this but I get by.

Thanks for the tip Sapphire. CT
  • FYI: If anyone runs into this anytime, I just discovered something that I had not before.

I had the same thing happen again but I seem to remember on my last run-through it didn't happen. So, I was trying to get THAT result again, when I was on Minsc's Character Record page getting ready to click on, 'Level Up,' when I noticed that the experience points were dropping. They dropped all the way from over 9000k to just around 2200K (2nd Level) which I could live w/seeing as I already have two second level NPCs in the game.

So, for those of you who use Level 1 NPCs w/BG Tutu & create a Berserker (might work for a Barbarian too), if you run into a situation where the NPC levels up exceedingly high on initial joining, you might pause & wait on the Character Record Screen (don't know if you HAVE to be there but that's where I was), you might find the experience points settle down to a more reasonable level.

Just wanted to share. CKT