Skip to content

[SPOILERS] Killing Shandalar the Arch-Mage (Vanilla BG)

I killed Shandalar the Arch-Mage. Yes, I admit it, my hands have been sullied and stained by the blood of an immensely powerful wizard comparable to the devious Jon Irenicus. His mastery of magics was no match for my physical strength and martial prowess. You can view the capture of this moment here, though try not to strain your eyes too much: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n1EG0CpaLY

Recently, Shandalar the Arch-Mage sat upon my rusty pole-arm and hung like a victim of Vladimir the Impaler. Many would exclaim, “why in Helm's name would you kill a wizard of such power with no justification?!” and I would delightfully respond with this: “he's a selfish prick.” I need not go into much detail — those of you who have infiltrated his estate during the Thieves' Guild quest line acquire this information from his daughters. On top of this, however, Shandalar—without much warning—teleports you to a remote frozen island off the Sword Coast to obtain his special cloak with no intention of bringing your lively (or lifeless) body back. Knowing the mysterious, dangerous magic of the island, Shandalar entraps the player in its relentless dungeon until the cloak is retrieved from a band of raving wizards on the brink of lunacy. Only when you kill the mad brigand, Dezkiel, involved in the theft of Shandalar's cloak, the arch-mage brings you back in one piece forthwith. The reward for such a daunting quest? A few hundred experience points and a thank-you.
This, my dear comrades, is the reason I chose to slaughter the arch-mage formerly known as Shandalar. A whopping 26,000 experience points and an equally devastating amount of ax blows later, the hubris of the man lie on the ground along with his lifeless, sullied body, the length of my pole-arm lodged in his shattered vertebrae. As his body twitched one last time, I could hear a breathless utterance slip its way into my ears as his jaw opened slowly, mouthing the words: child of murder.

Beyond this charming story of my murder of the arch-mage and my reasoning behind it, I would like to know what you, the forumites, have done with Shandalar. What were your thoughts on this under-developed, non-recurring character? Did you try killing him as I have or did you thank him, smile as your hundredth good deed was completed, and carry on to your next quest?

If your choice was the former, what tactics did you use to kill this man before his magics teleported him away to a distant sanctuary? What was your reasoning?

If your choice was the latter, what reasoning was behind this? And why were you not angered at him for the pathetic reward he awards you?

I'd love to hear this from you forumites. All comments are welcome, try to stay on topic as much as possible (though a tangent doesn't hurt much — as long as it isn't bickering over semantics).

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Pickpocket him for some very high level mage scrolls, a couple of potions and then leave him alone.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    The couple of times I chose to kill him I merely summoned some skeletons, let them attack him, and sat back and waited while a flaw inherent to the game engine allowed them to kill him. It take a long time--skeletons are notoriously awful at melee--but it pays off.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I killed him because he transported me to that island with no choice in the matter, and he was worth an ass-load of XP.

I zapped him with the Wand of Paralyzation and just hit him to death.
  • XanarXanar Member Posts: 96
    My last run was with a CE gnome illusionist/thief and I learned something new...if your party has a low enough reputation (I was solo with a rep of 3), Shandalar will send you to Ice Island whether or not you wish to go. Apparently he is the self-proclaimed protector of Ulgoth's Beard and feels it is within his rights. Upon returning, my shorty zapped him with a wand of paralyzation and proceeded to carve him into itty, bitty pieces as a warning to any other sanctimonius do-gooders who may wish to meddle in the affairs of Bhaalspawn.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Like Awong124 I normally just use the wand of paralyzation.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    The next time I decide to kill him I will just use a stealth boy and reverse-pickpocket a nuka grenade onto him. *boom*
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Greater Malison + Doom + Paralysis Wand = dead mage.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Xanar said:

My last run was with a CE gnome illusionist/thief and I learned something new...if your party has a low enough reputation (I was solo with a rep of 3), Shandalar will send you to Ice Island whether or not you wish to go. Apparently he is the self-proclaimed protector of Ulgoth's Beard and feels it is within his rights. Upon returning, my shorty zapped him with a wand of paralyzation and proceeded to carve him into itty, bitty pieces as a warning to any other sanctimonius do-gooders who may wish to meddle in the affairs of Bhaalspawn.

I always thought he would send you to the island instantly too, if you have killed his daughters in BG city. (Thieves guild quest) Or am I confusing him with someone else?

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    another thing you can do, and this also works for the demon knight in vanilla bg as well
    is cast otiluke's resilient sphere on him, and keep whacking him with your fisties ( which for some reason by passes the sphere) until he falls unconscious, and then when the sphere runs out, smack all silly like, this tactic also works for the demon knight the first time you see him in durlags tower and you get fullplate+1, large shield+1, and the helm of opposite alignment which I have given to shar-teel before so she could use twinkle
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    edited September 2013
    I don't understand this video. How is the guy using wand of magic missile on him when he cast Lesser Globe of Invulnerability?!

And why is Shandalars AI so stupid. He must be only mage in the game that didn't cast some antimelee defensive spell
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Haha This is wonderful
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Bhah! The fool is but a fly underneath the great newspaper that is MEAGLOTH! I kill him and let him keep his scrolls! I'm am a powerful scorcerer, I have no need of the lesser beings "paper".
  • nihility00nihility00 Member Posts: 5
    meagloth said:

Bhah! The fool is but a fly underneath the great newspaper that is MEAGLOTH! I kill him and let him keep his scrolls! I'm am a powerful scorcerer, I have no need of the lesser beings "paper".

He'll be saying this until he needs to wipe his arse :)

• JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    @lunar You are correct. I discovered through my BG:EE playthrough it was possible to acquire the artifacts [i]without[/i] killing his daughters <.<
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    I normally have Charname kill the bastard and sell his silly cloak for a gold piece or two. Techniques vary, although wand of paralyzation, the trick @sarevok57 mentioned and swarming Shandalar with magic missiles are the ones I use most often, as they are the easiest ones. Once, my Charname performed a very lucky backstab with a certain elvish staff and the petty mage simply could not have survived it. And there was this one time when he was turned into a squirrel...
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Awong124 said:

I killed him because he transported me to that island with no choice in the matter, and he was worth an ass-load of XP.

I zapped him with the Wand of Paralyzation and just hit him to death.

I, too, did this. It went something like this... "OH, NO, SHE'S HITTING ME IN THE BUTT WITH A HAMMER! DON'T BREAK MY BUTT! SHE'S BREAKING MY BUTT! SHE'S BREAKING MY BUTT!".
  • CaldeganCaldegan Member Posts: 33
    Torin said:

I don't understand this video. How is the guy using wand of magic missile on him when he cast Lesser Globe of Invulnerability?!

And why is Shandalars AI so stupid. He must be only mage in the game that didn't cast some antimelee defensive spell

I must agree! The AI is absolutely bonkers. I just now realized that the wand of magic missiles pierced through his Minor Globe of Invulnerability. I should be trying to kill him with different tactics next time. :)

God said:

I normally have Charname kill the bastard and sell his silly cloak for a gold piece or two. Techniques vary, although wand of paralyzation, the trick @sarevok57 mentioned and swarming Shandalar with magic missiles are the ones I use most often, as they are the easiest ones. Once, my Charname performed a very lucky backstab with a certain elvish staff and the petty mage simply could not have survived it. And there was this one time when he was turned into a squirrel...

Only God can accomplish that.
    sarevok57 said:

another thing you can do, and this also works for the demon knight in vanilla bg as well

is cast otiluke's resilient sphere on him, and keep whacking him with your fisties ( which for some reason by passes the sphere) until he falls unconscious, and then when the sphere runs out, smack all silly like, this tactic also works for the demon knight the first time you see him in durlags tower and you get fullplate+1, large shield+1, and the helm of opposite alignment which I have given to shar-teel before so she could use twinkle
    The demonknight drops:
    Full plate +1, Large shield +1, AND the Helm of Opposite Alignment? This is only in the Vanilla version, isn't it? I couldn't find that helm after downloading many modifications.

• LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    I usually do the mage island quest before a lot of other content, including the thieves guild. So I pretty much let him bully me around, and then murder his 3 daughters later on. Leaving evidence behind to ensure that he knows who did it.

If I were to kill the mage, I would first try a silence spell and or the wand of para.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    In vanilla you can also kill him by standing as far away as you can then summoning a few skeletons and getting them to attack him. He won't target the skeletons (and won't target you or your party is you are far enough away). It takes the skeletons ages to do it though so you might want to go and make a cup of tea while you wait for the fight to end.