Skip to content

Which Edwin portrait do you prefer?

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    BG1 is much better, hate the BG2 one.
    Blackraven
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I largely use a variety of the portraits by Artastrophe, of which there are many since she's such a massive Edwin fangirl. I use her portrait pack, but the Edwin one varies depending on my mood and which game it is. Currently using the default 'bald, tatooed' version.
    AstroBryGuy
  • SwordsNotWordsSwordsNotWords Member Posts: 147
    BG2
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    BG2 one. Cause it means I can use the BG one with a clear conscience. Aestethically I think they're both quite good.

I remember the first time I met Edwin I was kind of annoyed at the game; why on earth had it given an NPC -my- portrait,-my-class and -my- colour selection (Edwin pic, Conjurer, Shiny Red/"Gold" Yellow)? It was less of an annoyance after I found out about custom portraits and less when one of the first patches made the NPCs pick a different pic if you had theirs but boy did it frustrate me the first time!
    abacusbooinyoureyes
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I'm gonna have to say the Baldur's Gate 2 pic, simply because you get to see his face better, even though the picture makes it look like Edwin has hair (because he's wearing two hoods at once, a hood *under* his red robe hood.) And it perfectly fits with his smug prick attitude of needling Minsc about Dynaheir being dead and how Minsc was unable to prevent it. Let's say I am not a fan of Edwin at all, but the second portrait certainly fits his attitude better than I feel the first one does.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    edited October 2013
    IkMarc said:

ok I just quickly fixed that ;)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

That's damned good. I prefer this one.

Thx, feel free to use it :D
    TethorilofLathanderBlackraven
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    edited October 2013
    I wouldnt' mind a thread dedicated to this kind of topic. Can we get more BG vs bg2 portraits and vote on them
    Post edited by CoryNewb on
  • FeronasFeronas Member Posts: 11
    Baldurs Gate 2 version ! he looks wiser...
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    I like the oil painting effect of the BG1 portraits as apposed to the pastel effect of the BG2 portraits. Edwin's BG2 looks a little too cheery for what is a rather miserable egotist.
    Wandering_Minstrel
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    Mordeus said:

I like the oil painting effect of the BG1 portraits as apposed to the pastel effect of the BG2 portraits. Edwin's BG2 looks a little too cheery for what is a rather miserable egotist.

BG1 colours on the BG2 image would be my preference.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    They edwin portraits are an issue near and dear to my heart. I loved the bg1 portrait, and I ALWAYS use it for my characters, and I HATED the bg2 portrait. The only reason that I don't use his portrait for my avatar on this forum is too many people already do that, if I had com sooner I would have used it.
    There is an explanation though. See, when I first played baldurs gate, I was very small, and tigers where my favorite animal. I loved Calvin and Hobbes, and just tigers in general, and so then by default I was inclined to like the color orange. See where this is going?
    So as I was making my first character, as soon as I saw Edwin's portrait, before I knew that it was supposed to belong to some screwed-up egoist red wizard, I fell in love with the portrait. It was orange, tigers are orange, and my CHAR was called GREAT TIGER. in all caps, like that. Keep In mind I was very small. And so, I have always used Edwin's bg1 portrait, and I did like Edwin in bg1 I didn't think of him as as bad of a person you where maybe suppose to. never thought of his bg1 portrait as anything but mine, that of meagloth and GREAT TIGER. I didn't like the way bg2 handled the character, I had him pinned down as an evil genius, no tattoos, no nose rings. In my world those are not the mark of an intelligent person, when used in such access as is implied by his portrait.
    And Evil genius don't chew on thier beards.
    I also think Edwin's voice was wrong in bg2. He sounded like a mad Italian. Does anyone know if they used a different voice actor?
    So, I really like his bg1 portrait, and hated bg2.
    Sorry for the wall of text. :-)
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    edited October 2013
    meagloth said:

[...]
    I also think Edwin's voice was wrong in bg2. He sounded like a mad Italian. Does anyone know if they used a different voice actor?[...]

Edwin was voiced in both games by Jim Meskimen, which is by the way the same actor that voiced Khalid.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002350/

• XereckXereck Member Posts: 30
    I much prefer the photorealism portraits of BG1 over the cartooney portraits of BG2 :)
    Wandering_MinstrelBlackraven
    @moradin
    Huh. I thought they sounded really different.
  • TethorilofLathanderTethorilofLathander Member Posts: 427
    That's one strange world you live in @meagloth xD
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I'd go BG1 (primarily because it is the same PIC I use for Charname when I play a human Wizard). It just looks starker and more menacing. The second one is washed out colors and just looks too normal. I just can't see a Pink Edwin.
    Blackraven
    @Tethoriloflathander, you have no idea.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    IkMarc said:

BG1 version looks vile ^^ he reminds me a bit of a dwarf in the BG2 version...

If it's BG1 or BG2 and no other options... I'd go with BG1 because of this. I could never really pinpoint what it was that bothered me about the BG2 portrait, but here it is. It does look like a dwarf and reminds me of silly race restrictions. If I could make a dwarf mage or sorcerer, this would be the portrait I'd use though.
    Blackraven
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    sooooo
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    jackjackGemHound
  • Edwin_OdesseironEdwin_Odesseiron Member Posts: 226
    Fools! My appearance should not be the point of discussion, but my unrivaled magical prowess! (At least they are talking about me, however. That, at least, is something noteworthy.)
    booinyoureyesWandering_Minstrel
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited December 2013

Fools! My appearance should not be the point of discussion, but my unrivaled magical prowess!

You have a point. Why discuss your appearance. We should perhaps instead be discussing the majestic appearance of mighty Tiax and how it reflects his supreme world-altering divine magic.
    booinyoureyes
  • Xei_Win_TohXei_Win_Toh Member Posts: 43
    I prefer the BG1 one when I play BG1 and the BG2 one when I play BG2.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307

BG2 one. Cause it means I can use the BG one with a clear conscience. Aestethically I think they're both quite good.

I remember the first time I met Edwin I was kind of annoyed at the game; why on earth had it given an NPC -my- portrait,-my-class and -my- colour selection (Edwin pic, Conjurer, Shiny Red/"Gold" Yellow)? It was less of an annoyance after I found out about custom portraits and less when one of the first patches made the NPCs pick a different pic if you had theirs but boy did it frustrate me the first time!

Exactly this. Also Kivan p'd me off for the same reason.
    PhilhelmBlackraven
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    BG1 cuz it has more swag with his hood being pimped out in with the studs, his nose doesn't look weird, he doesn't have BEARD PIERCINGS and none of that nose ring...thing. Plus it looks more conceited and menacing, whereas the BG2 one looks goofy
    BaldursCatBlackraven
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    There are two Edwin portraits? In my game, he has the same one for both BG1 and BG2, and for some reason, someone put @Eudaemonium's portrait in the selection. To whoever it was, thanks, but you could have added the rest of my party, too.
    EudaemoniumbooinyoureyesBlackraven
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Yeah, I'm going to agree that the first one looks better but the second one looks like a bufoon which is exactly who Edwin is.

So, BG2.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    edited December 2013
    Artastrophe version from the PaintBG portrait pack is the best :D (EDWIN3 !)

See http://www.shsforums.net/topic/55677-paintbg-introduction-and-samples/ for more info :p
    booinyoureyesEudaemoniumCatoblepas
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited December 2013
    LadyRhian said:

even though the picture makes it look like Edwin has hair

Edwin was supposed to be bald? 0_0
    Never knew that. That changes my entire mental image of him.
    Post edited by booinyoureyes on
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722

LadyRhian said:

even though the picture makes it look like Edwin has hair

Edwin was supposed to be bald? 0_0
    Never new that. That changes my entire mental image of him.
    In PnP, Red Wizards shave their heads. But Edwin portrait isn't shaved (Something I don't care much about, to be honest)

booinyoureyesCatoblepas