Skip to content

So who is going to play as a blackguard and what are your goals with him/her?

xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
Looking forward to this honestly! Blackguards have always imo been very cool to get to know! I went off against a blackguard in one of my dnd sessions and man that dude was hard to bring down! So who is going to play as a blackguard and what do you plan to do with him/her when you do?

Personally, I plan to just hunt paladins and command legions of the undead. Simple as that! :)

Also, idk if they released any info on it but does anyone know what the blackguard abilities are going to be like? I'm guessing the complete opposite of all the paladins abilities but idk they could be making changes to it.

Comments

• MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited August 2012
    I want to play a blackguard as well, but i will think a lot about it if i can't dual or multiclass with him.

Which means that the blackguard needs to allow multiclassing(or dual) and that the game needs also to allow one kit when multiclassing.

The idea of a dark knight with more sinister or undead even powers always appealed to me. You get to be a knight but are not forced to play a paladin to do it.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited August 2012
    Blackguard will be for my second play through if they are well implemented.

I plan to do some of the more daring evil options in the game, not just the few scattered story ones. Things like slaugtering npcs and allowing my reputation to drop so low i am hunted by the flaming fist.
    I plan to roleplay using temple donations to increase my rep to the point that I am accepted back into towns when I need to be as my character bribing guards or paying off evil clerics to spread rumours amongst the commoners and so on.
    At the very end of game, I plan to test my might against some of the most powerful and infamous friendly npcs you can meet in the game and damn the consequences.
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    Nice!! Death to drizzt!! Death to Elminster!!
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Considering Dorn is one, I think I'll go for Assassin, duelling into Fighter for my evil game.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Forgot to metion, He is going to be wielding the cursed berserking longsword all the time, and be equipped with the claw and horn of kazagoth
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I don't think I'm capable of playing a truly evil character. I feel really bad when Imoen calls me mutton-mongering riff-raff and I have to run off and do some good stuff so she'll like me again.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    It is odd that a half-orc is what seems to be a paladin kit. maybe they will allow all races to be paladins? Mazzy the paladin in BG2 anyone?

I wouldn't have a problem with all races allowed to be paladins though it might not fit in with existing lore like at the order of the most radiant heart in athkatla is just a bunch of human dudes. They would have to throw some halflings and elves and stuff in there to make it look right. I dunno, it is silly only humans can be paladins.

It is odd that a half-orc is what seems to be a paladin kit. maybe they will allow all races to be paladins? Mazzy the paladin in BG2 anyone?

I wouldn't have a problem with all races allowed to be paladins though it might not fit in with existing lore like at the order of the most radiant heart in athkatla is just a bunch of human dudes. They would have to throw some halflings and elves and stuff in there to make it look right. I dunno, it is silly only humans can be paladins.

Anyone with a stout heart is more than worthy to join the ranks of the paladin order! :)

But I have to wonder...will there be a truly evil blackguard order to join and rule? :0

• carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    I've never really taken to the concept of a 'blackguard' class, for the reason that pursuing evil as a conscious cause doesn't really make sense to me, and the idea of a profession that literally translates to 'bad guy' in-name, is the epitomy of that.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited August 2012
    Well, my way to RP would I think to pretend you were only a normal fighter until you left Candlekeep. Maybe a little hotheaded and arrogant. Then, Gorion dies. Total meltdown, rage, killing everything that so much as gets near you. Then you remember a ritual you read about in the part of the library you were never supposed to go into. A ritual that offered great power by making a deal with a fiend. You perform it at night in the shadow of Gorion's corpse. You will have the head of the bastard that took everything from you, by any means neccessary. Little do you know that in your bloodlust you have become everything that Gorion hated.

Damn, I really want this game to come out.
  • gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
  • Spjuv3rnSpjuv3rn Member Posts: 61
    @gfm50 I thought that was the barbarians job ;-)
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    edited August 2012
    caruga said:

I've never really taken to the concept of a 'blackguard' class, for the reason that pursuing evil as a conscious cause doesn't really make sense to me, and the idea of a profession that literally translates to 'bad guy' in-name, is the epitomy of that.

That's not what Blackguards, or really ANY evil characters in mature fiction, do. Before 4th Edition, Blackguards championed a god of evil alignment or a cause that evil espouses. A Lawful Evil Blackguard in the Forgotten Realms might try to bring a region he sees as too chaotic to order by conquering it in the name of Bane, while a Neutral Evil Blackguard could just be interested in being a very well-connected and powerful mercenary giving praise to Shar, and a Chaotic Evil Blackguard is typically going to be the bandit scourge of where ever he goes while shouting bloodthirsty cries to Malar, Garagos, or Talos. 4th Edition Blackguards can still be played that way, but their new incarnation allows for a little more leeway in that they are simply warriors who have made dark bargains and embraced the more negative aspects of their psyche (currently, either Domination or Fury) to give them supernatural power.

Anyway, I'm likely going to play a Blackguard, if not in single-player then in the multiplayer campaign I'll be heading up for my friends. As for his/her goals, I'm not sure, though I intend to try and be as much of a magnificent bastard as possible, leading enemies and NPCs alike into traps before cleaving them in two with a greatsword.
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    Maciak87 said:

Goal Number One: Unlimited power.
    Goal Number Two: Aerie, the Sex Slave.
    Goal Number Three: Proclaming the New Galactic Empire.

Chuckles galore!
    I always thought of this little pattern for evil characters.

He faces some hardships, life or "fate" torments him, and he only experiences pain.

He then notices that happiness or love or joy around him only last for a while before people enter the state of pain again.

He thus makes the conclusion that, life is insignificant and its only purpose is to capriciously torment you.

And then a nice phrase from a series i love takes place : "If fate is a principle beyond Human comprehension which capriciously torments man, then it is karma that man confront fate by embracing sorcery."

He embraces the dark arts by whatever means possible and reigns havoc on this "capricious life" as he sees it. If he is more melee capable, he's gonna end up as a blackguard.

Now why is he a blackguard instead of an evil cleric? Well, for the same reason a paladin is not a good cleric. He's dedicated to a god, or maybe a purpose like a true knight, and that purpose is to end this insignificance called life.

Could work i guess.
    @Mornmagor

Ah, the "Life is a joke and I'm a comedian" approach. One of my favorites, as well.
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, something like that :]

Although deep inside, there is potential or the possibility that he feels he is actually saving everyone, delivering them from the hardships and pain that are awaiting them in this life.

And since part of this misery and torment, or even most of it, is because of humans, well, he decides to end this "human joke" as well.

In his eyes, to stop the evil of men and bring peace, he needs to actually become the monster himself and eradicate their evil together with them.

Something like bringing true peace. Achieving it would mean destroying everything so, since there is nothing, there is some kind of peace lol.
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    My favorite way of roleplaying blackguards is to make one who is sure that he's rightous.
    I would make him Lawful Evil - he won't fight unless provoked and won't start a fight without a good reason, but he will show no mercy, suffer no disobedience, and won't let someone stand in his way.

I find it much more satisfying to play an evil character who restrains himself.
    Doom972 said:

My favorite way of roleplaying blackguards is to make one who is sure that he's rightous.
    I would make him Lawful Evil - he won't fight unless provoked and won't start a fight without a good reason, but he will show no mercy, suffer no disobedience, and won't let someone stand in his way.

I find it much more satisfying to play an evil character who restrains himself.

Lawful Evil is my absolute favorite alignment for the exact reasons you've put down here, Doom. Evil protagonists generally need limitations of some kind or they simply don't make good protagonists.
    Come on you people and your laws...introduce a little anarchy so that everything can become...CHAOS!!!!!
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I'm gonna find someone rich and kill them. Then I'm gonna find someone richer and kill them too. Hack and Slash your way to fortune WOOHOO (Ok not really but who doesn't love lilarcor?)
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Take over the world. OF COURSE!
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I don't know, I think more than likely it will take me a few play throughs to finally want to play my own Blackguard. I will probably just pick up Dorn a million times instead of bothering to make my own. Well, assuming his stats are good, which they probably will be.

[[Just like Jaheira, I only very recently finally made a Fighter/Druid because she's always been good enough I haven't desired to make my own.
    Which is the opposite of, say, Quayle, he is a godawful Cleric/Illusionist and it's very tempting to make your PC one of those because his stats are just bad and you can do a lot better.]]

Take over the world. OF COURSE!

Same here! Time to make a special forum page for blackguards... >:)

• ddubiousddubious Member Posts: 29
    Me and a friend once thought that an AWESOME remix of the game would be to play Sarevok. They try to give you some of his history, make you sympathetic toward him, and even let you have civil conversations in supernatural circumstances (though not in BG1)

I think I'll play a Sarevok style character, who realizes and claims his birthright, as well as all other things he desires along the way.

He won't be insane. He'll be Lawful whenever possible, and he may even be a fantastic leader, but he will be evil. No time for petty fetch quests, but PAY me to obliterate some ogres, and I am your personal paladin. Did I find your cloak in the wilderness one day? Its mine now. You didn't pay me to get it for you.

Should be fun, though I'll miss the overpowered inquisitor's dispel.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    any evil kit is welcome (if i'm not mistaken this is the second one, no? priest of talos is the first).

i will play it in my second playthrough, looking forward to it actually. only problem is that i'm a bit of a pussy and have some trouble playing a truly evil protagonist. i have no problems being cruel or evil if some humor is involved (joker style i guess minus the excessive madness), but i always feel bad when playing like a bloodthirsty sadistic monster.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Definitely going to play a blackguard at some point. The goal of course is to claim what is rightfully mine, to become the lord of murder incarnate.
    Sceptenar said:

Definitely going to play a blackguard at some point. The goal of course is to claim what is rightfully mine, to become the lord of murder incarnate.

Not if I claim it first my fellow bhaalspawn... >:)
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Just to ppl know, some ppl are evil just because they want, we don't need a justify every time we see an evil person like "look, he had a bad childhood" or "hey, she does that cos she was raped when young"... some ppl just enjoy see others suffering, and whie we can't call this kind of behavior natural, it's pretty normal.

Remember that in the our society may that defines what is good or evil, but we create our moral senses based on our instincts too.

A drow for example would not think on himself as evil (in fact they do it but shouldn't), cos his behavior is just a consequence of the place where he lives. He kills and torture cos he was taught that make ppl scream or kill them is cool. To him it's his right to make a lesser being suffer, it's part of the brainwash of their society. Some of them can be born with instincts that reject this kind of acts (like Drizzt), and would leave or work to disrupt that society.

So let's loose the evil blackguards (and other classes too ^^) and stop questioning it's existence ppl.
    kamuizin said:

Just to ppl know, some ppl are evil just because they want, we don't need a justify every time we see an evil person like "look, he had a bad childhood" or "hey, she does that cos she was raped when young"... some ppl just enjoy see others suffering, and whie we can't call this kind of behavior natural, it's pretty normal.

Remember that in the our society may that defines what is good or evil, but we create our moral senses based on our instincts too.

A drow for example would not think on himself as evil (in fact they do it but shouldn't), cos his behavior is just a consequence of the place where he lives. He kills and torture cos he was taught that make ppl scream or kill them is cool. To him it's his right to make a lesser being suffer, it's part of the brainwash of their society. Some of them can be born with instincts that reject this kind of acts (like Drizzt), and would leave or work to disrupt that society.

So let's loose the evil blackguards (and other classes too ^^) and stop questioning it's existence ppl.

A true example of a blackguard!!!