Skip to content

Anomen

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    elminsterDelvarian
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    What's up with all the "A is better than B" threads these days? Guess what, pretty much every NPC in Baldur's Gate 2 (except maybe Cernd) is definitely worth it.
    SionIVDelvarian
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689

What's up with all the "A is better than B" threads these days? Guess what, pretty much every NPC in Baldur's Gate 2 (except maybe Cernd) is definitely worth it.

Don't bad mouth the were puppy! So much promise in that kit of his, just a shame they dropped it when it came to end game. Now if only he had a personality...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    SionIV said:

Don't bad mouth the were puppy! So much promise in that kit of his, just a shame they dropped it when it came to end game. Now if only he had a personality...
    Cernd has a personality. You may not have noticed it because his best dialogues happen only in specific circumstances.
    [Deleted User]
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

I predict a Cernd thread will be split from this one soon ;)
    elminsterjackjack
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    i think druid vs cleric is really close

on one hand we have cleric with duhm true power armor of faith really buffed fighter with summons and damaging shields

on the other we have druid with weird exp progression great summons (probably better than cleric) great offensive spells with plagues (probably better than cleric) great def with iron skin for tanking (probably better than cleric) better HLA they are almost the same but druid is like +1 on HLA

so how could someone touch this?
    1.) Best summons in the game are without question skeletal warriors, immune to magic and put haste or improved haste and they will destroy mind flayer lairs and other stuff on their own. Fire elementals are great but no summons except perhaps the princes come even close to the power of skeletal warriors.

2.) Druids do have better offensive spells.

3.) Iron skin does not make up for Armor of faith 20% damage reduction, DUHM and other cleric spells. The cleric wins when it comes to buffing and tanking, hands down.

4.) Cleric got turn undead, druids got shitty shapeshift forms.

5.) Clerics get that really nice ring when they hit level 25 (?)

6.) Clerics got a much better level progression.
    well nymphs and driads, elementals, elemental prince

i don't know

still skeletons are good
    Nymphs die quickly, great for low level and spells but in BG2 they start failing. Elementals are wonderful but they get stunned, feared, held, slowed and everything else. Skeletal warriors are immune to all status effects, magic and everything else, they can't be slowed but you can haste them.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Apparently this is turning into a cleric vs druid thread.

Both Fire Elementals and Skeletal Warriors have their uses. On top of being immune to fire Fire Elementals for instance have immunity to +1 and normal weapons.
  • ICNICN Member Posts: 61
    Druids do have one amazing spell at 7th level. Nature's Beauty causes permanent blindness with no save that even bypasses all of SCS's mage protections. It's even AoE, though only out to 5'. That one spell is almost enough reason for me to pick Druid over Cleric by itself.
    elminsterchickenhed
    edited October 2013
    they are both great at different things and they can both heal and do other stuff

at much harder than saying mage>cleric or mage>all

there is not mage here ; D

also @ thread

anomen > all clerics coz dual class

in bg:ee yeslick > all clerics coz multiclass and dwarf

jaheira could get close second probably

or aerie in special cases when i don't know solo + aerie so she could get many exp points and destroy everything with chain contingency horrid wiltig?
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Anomen might be a blowhard, but he gets the most character development of all the BG2 NPCs, even without romancing him, and as kamuizin pointed out he is very durable and can buff himself into a very deadly melee combatant.
    elminsterBaldursCatchickenhed
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Never once used him. Probably will at some point, but he's annoying as hell and is redundant since I always use either Aerie, Viconia, Jaheira, or some combination of them (why are all the romance options divine casters?)
    jackjack
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    mylegbig said:

Never once used him. Probably will at some point, but he's annoying as hell and is redundant since I always use either Aerie, Viconia, Jaheira, or some combination of them (why are all the romance options divine casters?)

Maybe to avoid romance conflicts if you want to make a balanced party, as is unlikely them to be in the same party often (except for roleplay and banters reasons).

• Anomen might be a blowhard, but he gets the most character development of all the BG2 NPCs, even without romancing him, and as kamuizin pointed out he is very durable and can buff himself into a very deadly melee combatant.

The problem with Anomen's character development is it doesn't change anything except for a couple of banters. Every other banter is the same, all of his reactions are the same, so he's still the same racist blowhard, just with a fancy title and a better WIS score.

No arguments that he's one of the stronger NPCs in the game, though.

jackjack
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    I don't understand why the Gauntlets of Dexterity are such a big deal. It's 4 ac sure but the only time I ever feel desperate for AC is when I don't use a shield and last time I checked Anomen can use one. Keldorn gets the gauntlets from me because he's using a two hander.

Then there's the fact that:

a) the higher level you get the less AC matters cause of how easily mobs hit you
    and
    b) Anomen has DUHM...

DUHM boosts str, dex, and con by 1 per 3 levels of the caster... why would Anomen need the Gauntlets? I mean sure DUHM isn't going to make up for them in the early part of SoA but you start seeing AC bonuses at lvl 15 which isn't that far into SoA and it matches the gauntlets in ToB at level 24

In the long term Anomen is an amazing character with or without 4 AC that he can eventually make up for...
    kamuizinvelehal
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Kaigen said:

Anomen might be a blowhard, but he gets the most character development of all the BG2 NPCs, even without romancing him, and as kamuizin pointed out he is very durable and can buff himself into a very deadly melee combatant.

The problem with Anomen's character development is it doesn't change anything except for a couple of banters. Every other banter is the same, all of his reactions are the same, so he's still the same racist blowhard, just with a fancy title and a better WIS score.

From a roleplay perspective he changes, the problem is that the old devs were lazy and didn't changed his quest interaction banters after his test, which unfortunally can bring some uncoherent banters during the game.
    edited October 2013
    Nic_Mercy said:

I don't understand why the Gauntlets of Dexterity are such a big deal. It's 4 ac sure but the only time I ever feel desperate for AC is when I don't use a shield and last time I checked Anomen can use one. Keldorn gets the gauntlets from me because he's using a two hander.

a) the higher level you get the less AC matters cause of how easily mobs hit you
    and
    b) Anomen has DUHM...

DUHM boosts str, dex, and con by 1 per 3 levels of the caster... why would Anomen need the Gauntlets? I mean sure DUHM isn't going to make up for them in the early part of SoA but you start seeing AC bonuses at lvl 15 which isn't that far into SoA and it matches the gauntlets in ToB at level 24

In the long term Anomen is an amazing character with or without 4 AC that he can eventually make up for...

1.) The higher level you get has absolutely nothing to do with mobs hitting you. AC is perfectly fine and just about the best defense until you get to ToB.

2.) We're talking about +8 dexterity here, DUHM gives you +1 for every 3 levels. So you would have to be level 24 as cleric to reach 18. And if you did place the gauntlets on him then DUHM will go ontop of that.

3.) Anomen and Keldorn are both front line fighters, and in SoA +4 AC for free is amazing. People don't seem to understand how great having +4 AC is. It's like going from a chain mail to a full plate.

Chain mail (Armor class 5)
    Full plate (Armor class 1)

It's without doubt the best boost they can get to their survivability. And there are no other gloves that would be worth trading them for.
    i actually noticed this today when i tried assasination from my fighter9/24thief with celestial fury
    i tried attacking my berserker9/cleric20+ his AC is -8
    for full round on haste assasination celestial fury I MISSED! LOL

i tried that on my mage AC 3 and it worked easily

so armor is pretty serious business

also i noticed BIG like REALLY BIG difference in Thaco my protagonist 13kensai/mage is around -12 thaco
    while all my fighter9/thief is stuck on 1 thaco
    my fighter9/mage 1 thaco
    at least paladin is -9
    fighter9/cleric -9
    fighter/mage -5

looks like fighter/thiefs and lower fighter/mages will have hard time hitting anything
    Kaigen said:

Oh, I meant his CN failure path, not passing his trials.
    edited October 2013
    SionIV said:

Nic_Mercy said:

and
    b) Anomen has DUHM...

1.) The higher level you get has absolutely nothing to do with mobs hitting you. AC is perfectly fine and just about the best defense until you get to ToB.

2.) We're talking about +8 dexterity here, DUHM gives you +1 for every 3 levels. So you would have to be level 24 as cleric to reach 18. And if you did place the gauntlets on him then DUHM will go ontop of that.

3.) Anomen and Keldorn are both front line fighters, and in SoA +4 AC for free is amazing. People don't seem to understand how great having +4 AC is. It's like going from a chain mail to a full plate.

It's without doubt the best boost they can get to their survivability. And there are no other gloves that would be worth trading them for.
    I'm not saying 4 ac isnt good. I am just saying that it's not as huge a deal as you're making it out to be. Especially in ToB when mobs have uber thac0's
    Nic_Mercy said:

SionIV said:

Nic_Mercy said:

and
    b) Anomen has DUHM...

I'm not saying 4 ac isnt good. I am just saying that it's not as huge a deal as you're making it out to be. Especially in ToB when mobs have uber thac0's
    ToB is like 15% of the game or less, and when you're there it doesn't matter what gear you have anymore. 4 AC is exactly that good and it'll save your life in SoA.
    edited October 2013
    SionIV said:

Nic_Mercy said:

SionIV said:

Nic_Mercy said:

and
    b) Anomen has DUHM...

ToB is like 15% of the game or less, and when you're there it doesn't matter what gear you have anymore. 4 AC is exactly that good and it'll save your life in SoA.
    I honestly just don't feel that threatened by anything SoA that I even notice a 4 ac difference... I guess it's just me then. BG1 is the only time I feel like it makes a difference.
  • Kaigen said:

Oh, I meant his CN failure path, not passing his trials.
    I was including the failure path as well, but to be fair I'm talking about his non-romance banters. I'm sure there's probably some better character development if you're in the romance with him, but as just another party member he doesn't change a whole lot.
    Kaigen said:

I was including the failure path as well, but to be fair I'm talking about his non-romance banters. I'm sure there's probably some better character development if you're in the romance with him, but as just another party member he doesn't change a whole lot.

The characters he will get into fights with changes, IIRC.
  • BobCBobC Member Posts: 47
    I honestly don't get the Anomen hate. Is it because he act sexist towards the female main character? Or is there something I'm missing? He doesn't seem anymore annoying than any of the other characters in the game. I mean, Jaheira complains about every little thing you do, Edwin treats you like crap no matter what you say, and don't get me started on Aerie emotional problems. What makes him more annoying than these characters.
    kamuizin
    edited October 2013
    BobC said:

I honestly don't get the Anomen hate. Is it because he act sexist towards the female main character? Or is there something I'm missing? He doesn't seem anymore annoying than any of the other characters in the game. I mean, Jaheira complains about every little thing you do, Edwin treats you like crap no matter what you say, and don't get me started on Aerie emotional problems. What makes him more annoying than these characters.

Edwin is a bastard, and you knew that from the start.

Aerie whines about her wings but she doesn't insult you or complain about you.

Jaheira has her reasons for doing so, and is more like a protective mother hen.

Anomen is the pompous holier than thou zealot that will be sure to complain, insult you and put you in place if he can. He ignores his own weakness and flaw but he'll be sure to point out yours.

I just can't stand pompous holier than thou people, while someone like Edwin i can still laugh at.

I still think that he is an amazing NPCs. Because while i don't care about Cernd, Valygar and so on. I can't help but to really dislike and loathe Anomen, and that just means they did an amazing NPC to get such a reaction out of a player.
    kamuizin
  • BobCBobC Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2013
    SionIV said:

BobC said:

Anomen is the pompous holier than thou zealot that will be sure to complain, insult you and put you in place if he can. He ignores his own weakness and flaw but he'll be sure to point out yours.
    I'm sorry, but I still don't understand. Isn't this how most RPG characters work? I'm pretty sure most character will stick up to their own beliefs and argue against the things they dont' like.
    BobC said:

SionIV said:

BobC said:

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand. Isn't this how most RPG characters work? I'm pretty sure most character will stick up to their own beliefs and argue against the things they dont' like.
    Have you had Anomen in your party? I just have to ask *Teases*