Skip to content

Beta testers: The beans. Spill them.

PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
What's new and/or improved?

Comments

• TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    edited October 2013
    It runs perfectly on my Intel graphics card, which is a huge improvement in and of itself. While the patch has introduced a few minor new bugs, the game seems to be running a lot more smoothly in general, load times have gone from tiny to imaginary and the UI is far better. Haven't been able to do a full playthrough yet, but I'm getting the general impression that most of the glaring bugs have been fixed.

However, you'll be disappointed if you're looking for new content-there's none to be found.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @PugPug :
    The good
    - The graphics looks much sexier and nicer. Smoother too (some small glitches will get fixed soon I reckon).
    - Several inventory items look better now.
    - Some kits were fixed/changed.

The bad
    - no new kit (Evil Ranger...pleeeeaseeeee) or anything else. Yet.

The ugly
    - @KidCarnival has not spoken to me for a while now. I sense a discrimination against monsters with less than 6 eyes.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    The good

- Improved UI
    - Just generally more functional
    - Customized colours for different kits
    - Dragon Disciple Attack/Breath now works properly :D

The bad

- Evidently still a few hickups to be worked out.

Tome said:

However, you'll be disappointed if you're looking for new content-there's none to be found.

To be fair they were pretty clear that there would be no new content.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    elminster said:

Tome said:

To be fair they were pretty clear that there would be no new content.
    Yup. They save the new content for BG2EE. No wonder.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    If you read through the Phase II thread and the screenshot thread, there's bound to be some stuff there.

There's still no definitive changelog, but half the fun of testing this is finding out for yourself what's been changed.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Off the top of my head...
    -Much sexier UI that looks so good I actually prefer it unscaled now.
    -Improved inventory icons for most items
    -Custom default colors for each class & kit
    -New custom colors for some of the Companions (New Imoen colors are great)
    -Rasaad is now a Sun Soul Monk Kit instead of a plain monk
    -Lots of bug fixes, including the problem I was having with the video edges flickering.
    -Near instant saving, loading and zoning.

• Speaking of the Sun Soul Monk, is Sun Soulray working fine now? In the current build it seems to misfire from time to time (though that might be a side effect of 'Keepering the kit onto Rasaad). Did they get anything new, or is it just the Dark Moon Monk getting Detect Illusions?
    Kaigen said:

Speaking of the Sun Soul Monk, is Sun Soulray working fine now? In the current build it seems to misfire from time to time (though that might be a side effect of 'Keepering the kit onto Rasaad). Did they get anything new, or is it just the Dark Moon Monk getting Detect Illusions?

Well I have no experience with Sun Soul ray in the prior version because Rasaad didn't have it. But it seemed to work pretty well when I tested it on the current version. (as in Rasaad lit the three guys he was performing in front of on fire. whupsie!)

No new thief skills on Sun Soul that I can see. Dark Moon is definately getting 25% detect illusion at level 1. No idea if that number improves with level or is just a one time bonus.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Southpaw said:

@PugPug :
    The good
    - The graphics looks much sexier and nicer. Smoother too (some small glitches will get fixed soon I reckon).
    - Several inventory items look better now.

The bad
    - no new kit (Evil Ranger...pleeeeaseeeee) or anything else. Yet.

The ugly
    - @KidCarnival has not spoken to me for a while now. I sense a discrimination against monsters with less than 6 eyes.

@Southpaw: I openly discriminate against monsters that have ANY legs!

No seriously, just busy with work and stuff at the moment.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    It's also worth noting that the beta patch boasts of brand new German voices for all NPC's in BG:EE. And they are top notch! ;)
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    bengoshi said:

Apparently most of the changes people are documenting are the cosmetic ones (such as the new weapon icons, new zoom options and transparent interface). I tend to agree with aquadrizzt that some of the actually game engine changes are pretty cool too. There's a bunch of new 2das. (Thanks to @CamDawg for having documented these on G3 and explaining what they actually do.)

Some of the best changes:

CLSRCREQ.2da : Allows easy specification of race/class availability and adds the ability to allow non humans to dual class. (Halfling paladins and elven kensai/mages everywhere, rejoice!)

So i'm going to be able to multi class now as a human?
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    Nice. Thx beta testers (on that one!). For the feedbacks. :)
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    SionIV said:

So i'm going to be able to multi class now as a human?

Yes.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    With a mod, assumedly.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    @FrozenCells Well, all you need is notepad and you can easily do it yourself.

• cryocorecryocore Member Posts: 121
    edited October 2013
    Seriously though it does work so much better than before and the bugs seems mostly squashed (or at least I didnt see any that affected me).
    Dont know if its improved or just my impression, but it looks better in general. That is most likely just due to a better over all impression. I despised the broken POS it was at release, and while I still think the replacement movies look cheap, amateurish, and inappropriate everything else is much better.

New UI is a major improvement

There are many niggles I would love to be fixed though.

Resolutions option for UI
    Modular UI. Let me move and adjust each panel and I will be super pleased.
    Text resize options
    Window close buttons AND having quick keys open AND close said windows (e.g. "I" opens inventory and closes when pressed a second time).
    A load last save on the main title screen
    Quit to Desktop button from the game screen

All these are minor things that would improve the experience, but dont take away from my enjoyment. Then again this is supposed to be the "enhanced edition" so bring on the enhancements.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2013
    bengoshi said:

CLSRCREQ.2da : Allows easy specification of race/class availability and adds the ability to allow non humans to dual class. (Halfling paladins and elven kensai/mages everywhere, rejoice!)

There are now 2das that externalize (and thus allow modification to) backstab multipliers, thief skill progressions, hit point tables, to hit tables, non-proficiency penalties, monk fist damage, racial hit and damage bonuses, weapon styles bonuses, summoning limits and trap limits.

Note that most of the cool effects (i.e. nonhuman dualclass) come from editing these files using one of the various IE file editors or through mods. But still, really awesome advancement for modding and for playing BGEE.

Does this mean we'll be able to use EEKeeper to change a thief character's kit and have it use the proper skill point penalty on level up?

EDIT: Some additional changes I found in @camdawg's thread on G3: Banter timing has been externalized, as well as familiar distribution by alignment. Also, I saw that the number of weapon quick slots has been externalized, and I'm wondering if this indicates a possibility that there will be a fix to Cleric/Thieves having their thievery button hidden in Special Abilities at some point.
    Kaigen said:

bengoshi said:

There are now 2das that externalize (and thus allow modification to) backstab multipliers, thief skill progressions, hit point tables, to hit tables, non-proficiency penalties, monk fist damage, racial hit and damage bonuses, weapon styles bonuses, summoning limits and trap limits.

Note that most of the cool effects (i.e. nonhuman dualclass) come from editing these files using one of the various IE file editors or through mods. But still, really awesome advancement for modding and for playing BGEE.

Does this mean we'll be able to use EEKeeper to change a thief character's kit and have it use the proper skill point penalty on level up?

EDIT: Some additional changes I found in @camdawg's thread on G3: Banter timing has been externalized, as well as familiar distribution by alignment. Also, I saw that the number of weapon quick slots has been externalized, and I'm wondering if this indicates a possibility that there will be a fix to Cleric/Thieves having their thievery button hidden in Special Abilities at some point.
    Yea I'm surprised they didn't fix that. If possible they really should just put the "talk" button in the special abilities tab instead.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Southpaw said:

@PugPug :

What were the fixes/changes, aside from the DD's breath attack? Any new kit-specific gear?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    PugPug said:

Southpaw said:

@PugPug :

What were the fixes/changes, aside from the DD's breath attack? Any new kit-specific gear?
    Mostly Shadowdancer fixes (correct backstab multiplier, +1 to saves working, can Shadow Step in combat, can't put points into skills and proficiencies they can't use). Dwarven Defenders can achieve up to high mastery in axes as per their description, Dark Moon Monks get Frozen Fist instead of Chill Touch (deals +2 cold damage per successful attack for the next 1 round/level), and a Dragon Disciple's breath attack now bypasses Magic Resistance. No new kit-specific gear.
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    Throwing weapons except darts got some serous loving, they now use both STR and DEX for there THAC0.
  • Frosty said:

Throwing weapons except darts got some serous loving, they now use both STR and DEX for there THAC0.

Check the bug repository, I think that's listed there.
    well.. i'd love to see the darts able to use the STR bonus for the _DAMAGES_! (like the sling bullets/throwing axes etc) ; would be excellent for their users.. */

.. i totally can understand WHY a simple sling or throwing axe used by a superman on steroids with a STR25 could totally destroy a training ice cube or compact glue... when a wimp with STR5 could barely scratch it lol... i just don't get why that could not be the same with a well used dart by such a superman ultra strong dude.. surely not the same results again..) but that's just me, certainly, oki.. *)
    Darts dont get the str bonus because of the extreme fire rate.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    "Window close buttons AND having quick keys open AND close said windows (e.g. "I" opens inventory and closes when pressed a second time)."
    THIS!
    @CutlassJack
    i know i know.. just a pity))
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    ALIEN said:

"Window close buttons AND having quick keys open AND close said windows (e.g. "I" opens inventory and closes when pressed a second time)."
    THIS!

But... my lonely G key!

Now if only Escape opened Options...