Skip to content

The BG NPC project

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

Because lawyers said so.

The developers were allowed to add minor dialogues to existing characters, but as far as I know the vast majority of them are reactions to new content.

This mod would represent a significant change to existing content, which is not allowed in the contract.

Also, Overhaul would need permission from every author that contributed to the NPC Project in order to integrate it into BG:EE (and that list is pretty long: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/?showtopic=1315).
    Buttercheese
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Also, mods are modular by nature, and that's one of their stengths. We have different tastes and playstyles, so it's a good thing that we can choose and pick which mods we want to install and which ones we don't.
    MalicronStoneSwords
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Adul said:

Also, mods are modular by nature, and that's one of their stengths. We have different tastes and playstyles, so it's a good thing that we can choose and pick which mods we want to install and which ones we don't.

Does the word 'mod' come from 'module' or 'modication'? or something else entirely? I've always supposed a mod is named 'mod' for being a modification on the original game.

• AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I think most of the time "mod" stands for "modification", but in some communities (like NWN) it stands for "module" instead. That said, game modifications are still modular in the sense that each user can install the ones that they like.

Oh, the topic. Right. I can't wait for this mod. I have only played through BG1 with it a couple of times, but it always added another whole new layer to enjoy to an already close-to-perfect experience. I love it.
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    wow I go away for a couple days and my favorite thread on these forums gets 17 new replies! :D
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Do we still seem to be on track for release prior to November 15th?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    The little banter Dorn and Viconia get in the actual EE is pretty good, so I would kill for some more. I'd also like some expansions on Dorn and Kagain, since the latter offers the former a job at the conclusion of his questline.

I do feel sorry for Dorn with his perfectly ordinary Int 10 when he has to be in a party with Edwin (Int 18) and Viconia (Int 16), or even Kagain (Int 15). He must feel so stupid. Though he does have the second highest Wisdom score, and way higher than Edwin's measly 9, to say nothing of Shar-Teel's astounding 7. XD
    alannahsmith
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    What about now?
    badbromance
  • kittenykitteny Member Posts: 16
    Can't wait for this! I can't believe I have been a devout BG enthusiast since first release and I was in primary school, yet I never knew about this mod!! I can tell from the hype over this that I have definitely been missing out.
    EudaemoniumStoneSwordsXavioriaIllustair
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    kitteny said:

Can't wait for this! I can't believe I have been a devout BG enthusiast since first release and I was in primary school, yet I never knew about this mod!! I can tell from the hype over this that I have definitely been missing out.

The mod varies quite wildly in both quality and quantity between the various NPCs (I seem to recall Faldorn being rather underdeveloped, for instance, but who uses Faldorn?). Even then, however, it is a vast improvement over the generally quite sparse characterisation of the original game, and most of the popularly-used NPCs have a considerable amount of interactions and content. :)

So, yeah, you've been missing out ;)
    StoneSwordsIllustair
    .:Commander Shepard voice:. "I'm StoneSwords, and This is my favorite thread on the forums."
    IllustairKavain
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I'm a little confused, is this a just a conversion or are the makers also adding in/fleshing out some more things? I'm even more excited for this mod to come out if they're putting in a few new features.
    I don't think they're adding anything, just converting to the EE format. I think some of the authors of the various characters are MIA, so they can't really change anything.
    Tome
  • XKalXKal Member Posts: 58
    New patch is finally out, but still no BGNpc... /goes back to waiting.
    ShinWithgilStoneSwords
  • randyroorandyroo Member Posts: 54
    yes i thought it would be out with the new patch too, maybe the release is imminent... hopefully
    StoneSwords
    maybe in the next couple days....? *cough* @LiamEsler *cough*
  • RasekovRasekov Member Posts: 59
    ;_;
    Adul
    Aw :( Oh well, I can wait....
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    LiamEsler said:

It's definitely not coming before BGII:EE, sorry peeps. BGII:EE is, understandably, completely monopolizing my time at the moment ;)

Is it coming after BGII:EE? On a tuesday, for example. ;)

Fredjo
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    LiamEsler said:

It's definitely not coming before BGII:EE, sorry peeps. BGII:EE is, understandably, completely monopolizing my time at the moment ;)

Pah. Back in the day we used to code entire series of games while shearing sheep and playing the trumpet at the same time. Youth.

AdulStoneSwordsFredjoalnair
    LiamEsler said:

Just out of curiosity, since I kind of want to start a new game and BG2EE it's just a few days away, how long after are we talking about? days? weeks? months? I'm obviously not asking for a hard deadline, just a rough estimation.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @Rasekov I've learned not to give estimates for this project, sorry. :P
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    will this be a "copy" of the old mod, or will it have banters for the new NPC's included?
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    BG1NPC is complete, and will not be receiving new content. I'd encourage anyone who wants to see new content to start their own awesome new mod :)
    etaglocItomonFredjo
    LiamEsler said:

@Rasekov I've learned not to give estimates for this project, sorry. :P

That's fair.

I guess I'll just play something else for a while and hope for the best.
This discussion has been closed.