Skip to content

I propose...a game! (Werewolf - In the Sword Coast)

CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
I propose we play a game of werewolf/mafia! We could baldurize it and make for some fun roles! we would need a good mod and hopefully a forum moderator who can lock/sticky/open threads. I would love to play with a gang of baldurs gate fans, but I'm not a very creative mod. Anyone want to give it a go?
ElectricMonklolien

Comments

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Is that the game, where someone is secretly a werewolf and they eat someone every day and the others should try to find out via discussion and lynch a supposed killer, hoping to kill the werewolf, but they can not know if they are killing an innocent or not?
    I believe, the only thing you'd need is one judge/dungeonmaster who would move the game forward, talk to the team of werewolves in private and announce every day.
    And then volunteers = players.

Possible Baldurization :
    - there are Shapeshifter Shadow Druids who want to eradicate the settlement by force and try to cull the villagers.
    - there is one Sage = rulemaster, who can not be killed and serves as a storytelling device and judge.
    - there is one special person - a retired Paladin, who can cast true seeing every day. Who is this, is officially hidden at first and will not be officially revealed (until the end of the game)
    - every other player (not a Shadow Druid, Sage or the Paladin ) is a villager = are common folk.
    CoryNewblolien
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Southpaw you are my hero. Yes we need a mod/judge/DM to move the day/night sessions. I like those ideas very much. We can have some different roles for the good guys to try and level the playing field. We will probably need to put a cap on players as well.
    lolien
    Depending on demand/activity. we could do this regularly on here. Have different scenarios and roles.

For anyone unfamiliar, look up "mafia" game. I have played in real life at parties around a dinner table, it is good times.
    lolien
    @CoryNewb - yes we can :) . I'd volunteer to play.
    For the first game, I wouldn't make the game more complex, leave it quite simple.

I'd expand the basic rules a bit :
    - 10-12 players + 1 mod (for example). 1 is the retired Paladin, 3 are Shadow Druids (a Shadow Druid can't be the Paladin)
    - during the night, werewolves decide, whom to eat. Werewolves would communicate via private messages and tell their decision to the judge. Then, the judge moves to another day/night cycle.
    - during the day, everyone is allowed to talk, debate, accuse...via this thread. Please, only talk in-character. Out-of-character talk must be marked differently. Role Play is welcome (Paladin can drop clues that he is the right Paladin. Shadow Druids can drop a small clue by mistake etc..)
    - a player, who is eaten/lynched becomes a ghost and can't talk until the game is ended.
    - Paladin can ask the Sage once during each day (via private message) about a player and the Sage will tell him his true allegiance. Only to the Paladin and the Paladin will not be announced officially.
    - days and nights will either turn with normal days (eg. Monday = day, Tuesday = night, Wednesday = day...) or according to the Judge = as soon as the werewolves decide whom to eat or as soon as the villagers vote and decide, whom to lynch.
    - game ends when all the Werewolves/Shadow Druids are killed, or when all villagers are eaten. If there are only 2 players left and one of them is a Werewolf, he eats the last villager and seizes a victory. A twist can be : if there's one Werewolf and one Paladin, the Paladin kills the Werewolf/Shadow Druid and wins.
    - the judge decides the roles (werewolf/paladin/villager) and clears any dispute between the players. His word is the last in any argument.

...now...with which time starts the original game? A night, or a day? I'd say, start with a night.
    ElectricMonk
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    This sounds fun! I'd be in if you can tolerate my, erm...eccentricity.
    @Battlehamster - we would actually welcome it.
    So...first - @CoryNewb - do you want to be the Sage/Judge or do you want to play?
    (if you want to play, I can be the Sage. If you want to be the Sage, you be it and I'll play)

Then - I'd ask every player willing to play to announce themselves. Plus, if you can, you can start roleplaying any (ANY!*) villager. Just shortly describe and introduce yourself.
    As soon as we will have 10-12 players, the Judge will choose the Shadow Druids/Werewolves, the Paladin and officially start the game.

* the role (Werewolf/Paladin/villager) is not upon you to choose. But you can set up your way of talking, your background and your character. From an insufferable noble, thru a burly blacksmith, up to the village's idiot. (Impress me)
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    @Southpaw I'd agree about starting at night. As for the "paladin," I assume that this character is attempting to mirror the "detective" of the original game, so when you say that he can cast true seeing, this means that he can ascertain the guilt or innocence of a single player during each day? This sounds like fun, if we can get a group and organize a time we can all play, I'm interested.
    CoryNewb
    @jaysl659 - sure mate, you're in.
    As I said - please introduce yourself in few sentences as a villager. (I'd say that we collect these introductions and re-post them when the game starts)
    Hi everyone. I'm Darren, and I'm an alcoholic... and a villager.

I wouldn't say I'm the smartest man, or the strongest, or much else for that matter. I am a survivor, though; I have been known to be quite crafty when it comes to saving my own skin. I'm 58 years old, spent most of my life working some job or another. I retired a few years ago, and spend most of my days down at Farthing's pub, waiting to see if my savings die out before my liver does. That may sound sad to some, but it suits me just fine.
    CoryNewb
    Hello everyone -

My name is Kalvin and I am a 37 year old hermit. Some people have referred to me as the village idiot which is in itself ridiculous considering that I am a part-time hermit. At best I would be a part-time idiot, but were I an idiot of any caliber would have no doubt already been eaten by wolves. Obviously this isn't the case as my signature look is wolf-skin garments. That said I hate people which is why I seek to live away from them. I merely come to town to trade goods before long winter months. Some people may call me a druid, but I hate nature too - I merely tolerate it better than I do people. Come to think of it I hate everything.

We're done talking now. Go away.
    SouthpawCoryNewbElectricMonk
    @Battlehamster - That's an awesome introduction man. Now I am not sure, whether the villagers will try to lynch you first, because you MUST be a werewolf, or last, because "That's just too obvious". :-)

I already like the first two players and if I become a werewolf in-game, I will eat you ppl last.
    ElectricMonkFredjo
    There are two schools of thought, one is to startbwithba day sequence and one is to start with a night sequence. A night sequence is the natural kick start because somebody dies and I then then a lynch mob starts. I can be any role needed, but prefer to play, the sage/judge can be the same person. They would be running the game.

I think we can use this thread as a sign up and then create a new thread for the actual game to keep it clean. We can do real life periods (24 hours for day/night or 24day/48day to give people time).
    ElectricMonk
    So you opt to play? Good. Then I will be the judge (Sage, in Baldurized-version) and not a player. This time.
    Please post your introduction. As soon as we find enough players, I will create another thread with the actual game and lead it from there.
    edited October 2013
    Croy's the name, and being a family man is my game! I've lived here in town all my life, and could never imagine living in the big city. I spend most of my time farming on my family property with my wife and children, and tend to just lead the life of a commoner. Adventuring and climbing social ladders have never interested me, I prefer to just put in an honest days work.
    ElectricMonk
    (Another rule, as a common courtesy to the judge, bold your votes and don't edit them if at all possible)

Judge I'm thinking 20 players and 3 or 4 baddies. Maybe one even has a seer role for evil. Give the village a few basic roles to give them a fighting chance.
    Maybe have 3 "normal" druids or rangers who can protect 1 person per 8 ppl alive including themselves as both a person they can protect and towards the count of 8? Basically a guardian angel or a vigilante if you ever played with either of those.
    I wouldn't over-complicate things on the first run and keep ~ 12 players. Even now, there's only 4 of us.
    ElectricMonk
    12 players, 2 bad guys? 4 would probably be too many.
    I proposed 3. Originally.
    Look...so far not many have joined. If they don't we can start tagging some common forum-lurkers to get their attention. Maybe they'll play with us :-)
    ElectricMonk
    We might need a post in general to get some attention. Not sure the rp forum is a frequently checked topic.
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    OK I'll join, if you can put up with my rubbish attempts at roleplay :p

I'm a bit of a wanderer, and have recently arrived in the village. I keep to myself, although I enjoy a tipple down at the pub of an evening. I tend to do odd jobs whereever I go to earn my keep, repairing stuff or helping harvest crops.

My parents had apprenticed me to be a blacksmith, and while I enjoyed the crafting and repair of useful gear, I would tend to become distracted with fixing badly designed equipment. The blacksmith finally booted me out after I'd spent a week repairing the mayor's hoe, and it was still in pieces on the smithy floor.

Not that kind of hoe.
    ElectricMonk
    CoryNewb said:

My personal experience is that 1:4:9 Villagers/Killers/Vigilante ratio tends to work out pretty well, with a token paladin of course to root out backstabbing murderous bastards. It usually seems to be a good ratio anyways.

CoryNewb said:

My personal experience is that 1:4:9 Villagers/Killers/Vigilante ratio tends to work out pretty well, with a token paladin of course to root out backstabbing murderous bastards. It usually seems to be a good ratio anyways.
    I'd say that @Southpaw's suggestion of 3 wolves, one paladin, and the rest villagers is pretty good. It's probably best to not start adding in extra roles such as the vigilante, doctor, etc. for this first game as the increased complexity may put off those that haven't played before.
    Battlehamster

OK I'll join, if you can put up with my rubbish attempts at roleplay :p

I'm a bit of a wanderer, and have recently arrived in the village.

@The_Potty_1 Ho there, wanderer. Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man. You may want to edit your introduction to include your name. Anyway, welcome, hopefully we get some more people in here soon and can get this game started.
    Greetings, call me Pot. There's a story to that, buy me a pint and I might tell you about it.

I'm a bit of a wanderer, and have recently arrived in the village. I keep to myself, although I enjoy a tipple down at the pub of an evening. I tend to do odd jobs whereever I go to earn my keep, repairing stuff or helping harvest crops.

My parents had apprenticed me to be a blacksmith, and while I enjoyed the crafting and repair of useful devices, I would tend to become distracted with fixing badly designed equipment. The blacksmith finally booted me out after I'd spent a week repairing the mayor's hoe, and it was still in pieces on the smithy floor. The mayor also made some wild accusation about scarring his bull for life when I tried out a couple of prototypes. Honestly, I'm glad I left.
    Damn, I think I broke it. The first one was nicely balanced between being a harmless if somewhat reclusive villager, or a werewolf who moves from town to town, killing unsuspecting victims, then moving on before the rest of the villagers have time to mobilise. The last sentence of my new intro skews it too heavily towards being a villager. Really it comes down to the intelligence of your basic werewolf. How elaborate can this facade be?

First off, someone should decide whether we're doing werewolves or shadow druids. Second, I think we need a reason why this village is so important. If my modus operandi is to kill and move on, why do I not move on? Actually that's my problem, I chose this persona, so I can't really lay my motivational inconsistencies at the DM's feet. Hey, perhaps I'm injured? Nope, werewolf regen, that doesn't help at all.
    I think shadow druids that take shape of werewolves is what I was thinking.
    ElectricMonkBattlehamster
    So we're at what now, 5?

So we're at what now, 5?

@Battlehamster Well, 4 players (you, myself, @CoryNewb, and @The_Potty_1) and 1 moderator/sage/whathaveyou, @Southpaw. Not really sure how to get more people to check out this thread, it'd be nice to get 12+ players for the game.
    Yeah. If we get an influx of players and make a new thread and @ notify everyone that is playing so they are aware we are starting.