Skip to content

Baldur's Gate 3 (SPOILER ALERT)

Seeing as everyone is discussing Baldur's Gate 3 well ahead of time I thought we could all discuss each other's ideas on Baldur's Gate 3. According to the original idea it was to do with a black hound being the form of guilt chasing the character, which seemed more like an Icewind Dale story, especially if the black hound is linked in with Kresselack.

If you could write Baldur's Gate 3, what would be the plotline? Personally, I think there should be a prequel game to develop characters into the iron crisis such as Gorion, Tethtoril, Khalid & Jaheira, Imoen and the protagonist, perhaps even a cheeky bit of Firkraag ;)

Comments

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Given that TOB offers pretty definitive endings for the NPCs and CHARNAME themself, I'd hypothesise that were BG3 to be produced it may not focus on the same Bhaalspawn...
  • TethorilofLathanderTethorilofLathander Member Posts: 427
    An Imoen side story mayhaps? A lot of people have been against the Viekang story with Abdel.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Apparently a lot of the orignal BG3:Black Hound ideas were taken and used in NWN2:MOTB
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Personally, I don't want one. ^^ I think the furthest I'd go is maybe a new adventure not too long after with a couple of the same characters. But really the Bhaalspawn's story is over, so that's not BG3 to me.
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    I think Planescape:Torment Enhanced should come before BG3!!
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    It should be the story of your offspring in the "canon" ending where Aerie is your LI. ;) In this canon story you were a gnome, so the protagonist of BG3 is one quarter gnome, one quarter divine, and one half avariel (with wings).

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough2/image.php?image=images/screens/aeries-babyL.jpg
  • BayazBayaz Member Posts: 22
    How about a prequel featuring: Irenicus and Sarevok. Would be one beast of a party..
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    weee another one of these threads.

One thing I learned from all the BG3 talk, everyone has their own idea and expectation for the sequel if it is made which is a scary thought.

Regardless of how they go about making it, they'll let down part of their fan base unless they go the "Baldur's Gate: Amazing Title" route and make more than one.

Come on Overhaul, we know you want to.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    @deltago Agreed, you can't please everyone. As I said, I think the best course of action is a separate game, dealing with the fallout from CHARNAME's passage while making vague mention of the events of the past game, ala KotOR 2. It will let us relive our past adventures while not saying "this is how you were supposed to do it."
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    How about a game set in, you know, actual Baldur's Gate? Expanded City, more to do. Your CHARNAME grows up on the streets, and eventually gets to save the city. No Bhaalspawn, just the city being the central focus. After all, it IS the name of the game/series.

Alternately, show Sarevok's journey to the East to bury Tamoko. Or what happens to any child he ends up having. Perhaps while he and Tamoko were separated, she had a baby and sent the child back to her relatives in the east. Perhaps he had a child while he was there- the ending he got in BG2 left that totally open.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Malicron said:

@deltago Agreed, you can't please everyone. As I said, I think the best course of action is a separate game, dealing with the fallout from CHARNAME's passage while making vague mention of the events of the past game, ala KotOR 2. It will let us relive our past adventures while not saying "this is how you were supposed to do it."

OR have multiple games that intertwine with each other.

One where you're a new god and need to carve out your place in the heavens. It can start with your BG2 PC bartering off the murder portfolio for a new one or keeping it. However, Bhaal's taint maybe too strong for you to control, and the old god slowly creeps into your being and you must fight it off or have it consume you. (Or if you chose mortality, the essence being freed by both evil and neutral (to obtain balance) gods and made into a new lesser god)

One (or more) where you a New PC is chasing some unfinished business (quests that weren't officially finished such as FoA, Temple Sewers, etc) while meeting some familiar and unfamiliar characters.

One that follows the child of your love interest (if male) that many think carries around the taint of Bhaal. Different factions want the child for different reasons, to control it, protect it, worship it, or destroy it. You as a New PC must choose a side, or not and do your own thing and venture the world and allow others to change the destiny of Toril.

The unique thing would be that these are all separate games, however when played together (or one after the other) it will change characters or plot lines in each other.
  • MinscandBooMinscandBoo Member Posts: 77
    BG3 should be "Memento" style... for those who never saw this movie, should see it and know what I'm taking about... we all know what happens in the end, but make a more detailed prequel leading to the final events and have the CHARNAME play through it.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    LadyRhian said:

How about a game set in, you know, actual Baldur's Gate? Expanded City, more to do. Your CHARNAME grows up on the streets, and eventually gets to save the city. No Bhaalspawn, just the city being the central focus. After all, it IS the name of the game/series.

Something along those lines is exactly what I'd like. The game would be set in the same region. Maybe some references, possibly a few characters from the first 2, but a brand new story utilizing the setting.

If you guys haven't played the NWN2 mod, Path of Evil, I found it highly amusing when you come across a priest who worships the Bhaalspawn Kamal (Kamal was the maker of the mod). That mod was epic, and felt closer to BG than to nwn. Very free roaming around the realms.

And as good as the Deus Ex prequel was, I think a lot of us are sick of prequels. There's plenty of source material for the Forgotten Realms setting to keep it moving forward in time and stay interesting.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    It could be taken in a very different direction though. Perhaps you continue to play as CHARNAME, now ascended to Godhood. Now you need to navigate a network of alliances with other powers, cultivate belief in mortals and appoint champions, manage and broaden your portfolio etc. It could be a sort of diplomacy/turn-based strat affair.

Not going to happen, could be fun though.
  • NeurologicalNeurological Member Posts: 48
    Well, there is a thing in ToB that always made me wonder. Remember that guy in Saradush that would teleport away when scared, what if is taken as canon his escape with the horror spell? Is still one loose Bhaalspawn with an interesting power. Probably there are mre loose Bhaalspawn.
  • TethorilofLathanderTethorilofLathander Member Posts: 427
    edited October 2013

Well, there is a thing in ToB that always made me wonder. Remember that guy in Saradush that would teleport away when scared, what if is taken as canon his escape with the horror spell? Is still one loose Bhaalspawn with an interesting power. Probably there are mre loose Bhaalspawn.

I think there's a story like that written in the books or something like that. Viekang vs Abdel, where Abdel dies but I don't know the full story.

How about more of a Forgotten Realms story, rather than something invented by Overhaul i.e. Spellplague :)
  • ICNICN Member Posts: 61
    Nah, imo if they decide to make another BG game it should focus on the big guy himself: Bhaal, on his quest to prevent his own death.

So the game will, of course, be a dating sim.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    edited October 2013
    @ICN Given that Bhaal was, y'know, Evil, I doubt "dating" came into it much.
  • ICNICN Member Posts: 61
    @LadyRhian I dunno, isn't this the same guy who entrusted Mellisan to play nice and not take the essence for herself? Seems like a pretty hopeless romantic to me. But yeah, I have no delusions about how it probably went down.
  • HadarHadar Member Posts: 171
    George Ziets (NWN: Mask of the Betrayer, Project Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera) has a original and worth considering idea for the BG3: http://spring.me/GZiets/q/414930203056307948
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I'd suggest taking the same approach as "Neverwinter Nights" and its sequel - use the same settings to tell a completely different story, with a different protagonist and different characters. There's a lot more that could be done in that world without going back to the Bhaalspawn story again.
  • riyahhassettriyahhassett Member Posts: 59
    I'd like see some aspect do the sims. When your not adventuring you to work on your keep and have role playing ways to make money and magic item etc. it would cool to share my CHARNAME and download other peoples charnames. I'm a big fan of that type of game. Make some babies and a game that expanded over generations.
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    Well.. just saw on youtube some BG2 (real cinematics) videos endings (again)... and i was surprised to notice that, if you carefully listen (especially 10 years+ later^)... the last words are explicitely clear mentionning that that is only the beginning of many new challenges for 'charname'....
    ...ALSO looking back the VICONIA video romance final ending (for exemple).. a big possible clue is also there ; the way the goddess **** behaves with her (no spoilers hu..but the ones knowing that ending will understand what i mean i guess^) when Charname is fighting his final battles... that is supposing fights between gods could be possible...later^ ...VERY possible even, now that 'charname' bacame a 'god' (let's say that will be the 'canon')...

NOW.. how to put that in a game (is that even possible anyway? i don't know.. not my business after all lol..and i don't even know/care about the last D&D 35th or 36th new set of rules lol..but certainly they figure out such fights -and/or between their 'minions'..^- , maybe..who knows anyway.. business is business with some, i would not be surprised some rules might exist or could be created even for that..with some!^..) ^^ All the question is there ^.

NOW.. daddy Bhaal used mortals to play his last games... ok.
    why not to even remotely imagine something around that?...
    not old charname himself.. but a plot form him/her to send 'his' now new humans/proteges to destroy his rival/betrayers god/goddess new denizens.. 'wars in heaven'..and on the human plan (and maybe even some others^) , the fighting 'new champions' (so the new game possible, etc)... and voilà. ^ _that_ could be perfectly possible too.. ^

just saying.. but could be a VERY nice way to put a new plot, with new chars (human/non human) in that world.. AND have a link with the old (now legendary) 'charname'... with possible totally new epic situations... a little like DA, if you consider a de facto 'canon' the 'god choice' in the end of course... ^

but what i say anyway.. we will see... just hoping the new generation of writers will not put a simple Dragon Age II-like thingy, ok totally 'minorities friendly' (Of coarse!), ok totally romanceable with everyone (and even their pets if desired.. if there is a market for that growing hey dudes lol.. certainly in the years to come anyway; put a 'new step in gaming', be the first lol!^)... etc..

joking.. but well.. BG3 could be a real epic continuation..with a little imagination i guess.
    But... i wonder how far the dudes really are on it, for the scenario etc.. i fear a vulgar DA2 kind though.. would be sad if just that.. but will see^ After all, noone will be forced to buy if just pure bs lol.. but now, trying 2sec thinking about it.. could be very nice actually to see what a bg3 'for (and by^) the new generation!' (i imagine the bs marketing of nowadays already too lol..) could be.. in all neutrality here!^

just my 2 euro mini cents.. and wait & see).. & basta.. like everyone, curious about what a BG3 could be.. if writers are already on it (they should already have a few real clues, plots, global new story structure, hu?..at least i hope for them..*) ^), etc.. will see with interest at least.. even if only for intellectual and/or cultural curiosity..) ^
    lol.. http://spring.me/GZiets/q/414930203056307948 indeed (thx for the link btw!)

...'just seeing/realizing now that that was (kinda) exactly what the dude had (kinda) in mind too.. those kind of things of course would be grand.^ something like that SEEMS to be the absolutely logical EPILOGUE..of course so.. for some serious connoisseurs even much bigger than me of course... (never heard or even know who George Ziets is..but seems he knows what he is talking about on that one...just a guess the way he quickly draws a very rational plot and take things exactly where the real BG2 stopped too.. lol *)... ......... Ah..AND if you put Cyric dude and his legions in the equation too now.. sure, could be even more... possibly totally epic/grand..with new cinematics and story assured, that is certain.. at least, _that_ kind of totally unseen story/plans/deities/minions-like/etc possible encounters would have my interest/curiosity (you bet^).. indeed. And not yet totally 'seen before' too..and a total and direct link too^^ ; that would be really epic and logic continuation in many ways.. and the new gen would for sure love that too..) lol.

well.. that was for the rational theory (and real lore even more detailed too..).. now, we will see what our new gen will propose us... and 'activists of all kind must-be friendly' before all.. will see) *//
    ps; Ah ah.. of course ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Ziets
    No wonders so... NMW2, New Vegas, DS.... a real one at last. good to see that ))
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    edited October 2013
    No thanks. The Bhaalspawn story ended with ToB for me. I wouldn't mind another top-down isometric RPG based on D&D set in FR though. Then again, from reading this forum 4e rules seem pretty disappointing, and it seems games can only be made using the latest rule set. I'm not a PnP player though, so I don't know.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    No more CHARNAMEs, no more Bhaals, no more NPCs who were in your party, no more little godlings running amok. A new story with a new character with new NPCs. You may use the same places from the previous games though.
  • JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201
    LadyRhian said:

@ICN Given that Bhaal was, y'know, Evil, I doubt "dating" came into it much.

That's pretty dark.

• fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    edited October 2013
    The weird part about BG2:ToB is that at the very end, things seemed to be getting even more interesting. The story was about to go totally gonzo, and I could just imagine a crazy ride through the realm of demon lords, celestials, and gods, exploring various worlds, planes, dimensions, combating ancient and forgotten horrors, etc.etc., exploring interesting new divine powers, crafting new spells or abilities, perhaps even creating your own world, I don't know, it had the potential to be an amazing creative project. But I think it was perhaps too large a leap, and might not have translated well into a game.

It's true though, there are lots of sidequests possible, not to mention alternative parties, such as what we see in Icewind Dale (same setting, although I think in a different historical era).

Also, it would be refreshing to play a game where the main character dying doesn't instantly end the game. I liked that about Icewind Dale, although imo the storyline paled in comparison to BG1 and 2, not to mention that there was no real character development, except for what you entertained in your mind. >_<