Skip to content

Using Near Infinity on a mac

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited July 2013 in Mac OS X (Archive)
Hi I'm trying to use Near Infinity on my Mac. I've found the Chitin.key file and selected it with Near Infinity, but whenever I try to read really any files it gives me the dialog.tlk can't read error. Any suggestions?

Problem solved :)
Post edited by elminster on

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Nevermind I think I've solved it :)
    edited July 2013
    Nope, didn't solve it. Problem has just shifted to something else :(

(can't read dialog.tlk error)

Fixed this too. It works!!! (It just took me awhile to find where the solution to this problem is)
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    Could you please explain how to set up near infinity on a mac, I'm having some difficulties
    Cheers!
    I'll see if I can find the thread I used and I'll post it when I can later today (so like 10-12 hours from now).
    @Greener Just got back from work/stuff. I'm on the case :D
    edited July 2013
    NOTE: I kind of jury-rigged this solution and I'm not a developer or modder. I'll link @CamDawg to this because it was his thread here http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6950/player-how-to-getting-mods-to-work-on-bgee/p1 that I used for this solution. If you plan to use mods you should use his terminal solution but honestly just for Near Infinity mine seems to work. In my case I'm just not familiar with using terminal.

Some basic stuff. First thing you have to do is download near infinity. You'll need Java Runtime Environment to run it but at least in that respect you should be able to start the program. The program however will be super, super wonky when you start it. Don't try to poke around too much because if you do it might result in you getting a lot of seemingly endless pop-up windows within the program itself (its hard to explain but its really annoying).

Go to "Finder" at the bottom of your screen (I have Mac OS X Lion so I don't know how much these instructions will vary). Click Applications. Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition should be listed if its installed. Double click it. Double click the game data folder. Double click the 00777 folder. Right click "Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition" and click "open contents". Double click the "contents" folder and then double click the "resources" folder.

This is the folder from which you need to set up Near Infinity to use its Chitin.key file. You may have noticed another Chitin.key file in a folder before this one, but for whatever reason that one doesn't work (I guess because of the location of the various other folders in this folder).

There is a file in the "lang" folder within the "en_US" folder called "dialog.tlk" You need to copy this into the "resource" folder that I just finished prattling on about :)

Now go into Near Infinity.Jar (you should be able to just double click it). At the top left click "game" under the menu. Click "open game". In this screen go to Applications/ Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/ game data/00777/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/contents/resources (the folder you were at in finder). Double click Chitin.key (or click on it and select "open". Near Infinity should now be functional. At least for modifying items, spells, abilities, creatures, and NPC's.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Yeah, copying dialog.tlk is always an option, especially if you're just poking around to see what does what. The benefit of linking it is that any mod updating/adding to the tlk file will also show up in NI.
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    Thank you
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited July 2013
    elminster said:

There is a file in the "lang" folder within the "en_US" folder called "dialog.tlk" You need to copy this into the "resource" folder that I just finished prattling on about :)

@elminster
    Which version of NI are you using? Recent versions of NI should be able to find dialog.tlk files in lang/en_us/.
    Edit: recent version of NI can be found here.
    edited July 2013
    Wisp said:

elminster said:

@elminster
    Which version of NI are you using? Recent versions of NI should be able to find dialog.tlk files in lang/en_us/.
    Apparently I was using 1.32 which is out of date. I just now tried using the latest version; it doesn't want to launch and frankly as far as I'm concerned for me NI is working fine. But thanks for the help :)
    elminster said:

Apparently I was using 1.32 which is out of date. I just now tried using the latest version; it doesn't want to launch and frankly as far as I'm concerned for me NI is working fine. But thanks for the help :)

1.32 has quite poor treatment of BGEE, just so you know.
    Which version of java are you using? You can check with java -version in a terminal. Current builds of NI probably won't run on java 1.6 or older.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    edited October 2013
    CamDawg said:

Yeah, copying dialog.tlk is always an option, especially if you're just poking around to see what does what. The benefit of linking it is that any mod updating/adding to the tlk file will also show up in NI.

I'm having this problem in Windows 7. How would I do this linking of which you speak?

EDIT: nvm, found instructions in the linked thread
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited October 2013
    I've downloaded the old version of NI (to edit my BG2) and, I copied half of the iPad's data to mod it, it works very well, I use Mac all the time, the original BG2 I have is running through Wineskin, also my Planescape Torment, that can be edited with NI too.

EDIT: I had the newer version of NI, but I downloaded some time ago thinking it was the old one.
  • syllogsyllog Member Posts: 158
    edited December 2013
    Wait. Near Infinity is ~3years since it's last update?
    And the Near Infinity page of it's creator has an oudated version (v1.32).
    Does anyone know of an equivalent program that's being maintained?

EDIT:
    For others that get here by way of search you may find this thread more helpful:
    (info on version 1.33b21.1, which better integrates with BG:EE)
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1978/near-infinity

^And you don't need to do anything besides drop the .jar file there in your resources folder. (The same folder mentioned in this thread, but minus all the .tlk hard-link or copying shenannigans.) ...well, you might need to update java I suppose. I doubt most people will though.
    Post edited by syllog on
  • syllogsyllog Member Posts: 158
    edited December 2013
    Just updating this for anyone else confused and searching the forums (like I was).
    There is an alpha release of v1.35. I haven't used it (waiting for more nominally stable release), but it has some useful things (e.g. there are named flags such as "bypass Mirror Image" in it that are listed as "Unknown" in v1.33b20).

Here's a page to keep an eye on:
    https://github.com/NearInfinityBrowser/NearInfinity/releases
    (EDIT: No, I have no idea what happened to v1.34; I don't see one either.)
    @syllog
    This thread is typically up to date on the latest NI developments (including the latest public version [more recent than v1.33b20]).

(v1.34 was skipped for various reasons.)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    THANK YOU @elminster cripessssss that was far too difficult to figure out on my own.