Skip to content

Pick Pocket changes

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited October 2013 in The Road to v1.2
@Anduin brought up some issues that are present with the current changes to the pick pocketing system.

STLSTEAL.2DA is the file that determines what scores are needed to pickpocket what (note: 0 means you can't pickpocket it).

2DA V1.0
SKILL
AMULET 80
ARMOUR 0
BELT 80
BOOTS 0
CLOAK 80
GAUNTLETS 80
HELMET 0
RING_LEFT 60
RING_RIGHT 60
SHIELD 0
FIST 0
AMMO1 50
AMMO2 50
AMMO3 50
AMMO4 50
MISC1 50
MISC2 50
MISC3 50
INV1 10
INV2 10
INV3 10
INV4 10
INV5 10
INV6 10
INV7 10
INV8 10
INV9 10
INV10 10
INV11 10
INV12 10
INV13 10
INV14 10
INV15 10
INV16 10
SUMMONED 0
WEAPON1 95
WEAPON2 95
WEAPON3 95
WEAPON4 95

As a result of these changes you need a 95 in order to pickpocket Drizzt's swords and a 50 to pickpocket Algeron's cloak (I've tested both and they do work).

As for Phlydia's amulet the best thing to do in her case would be to move it into her inventory. That way you only need 10. It is after all effectively BG1's training area (it never had a tutorial).

Anyways since its a new feature I figured I'd create a thread for it to report any bugs being experienced. From my experience it seems to only let you pickpocket weapons if they aren't weapons that a neutral (non-hostile) character has equipped. I'm assuming that is intentional and not a bug and that its that way namely to prevent you from successfully pickpocketing something like the "weapon" Drizzt actually uses to attack with (its not an actual weapon).

I guess if you find any inconsistencies/ bugs with the new system write them down here.
Post edited by Dee on
Bhryaen

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Thank you @Elminster . It is again worth re-iterating. These values were given mostly from ToB values as far as I can ascertain (It being originally hardcoded to the baldur.exe). Perhaps values that you dislike or would like changed could be spoken about here as well...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2013
    For the record I'm actually in support of the changes as a whole. There are some traps where if your trap skill isn't high enough you just can't find those traps. Same with opening locks. Plus in one store alone you can buy 10 potions of master thievery (Black Lily). So there is at least an opportunity for people to temporarily boost their pick pocketing in exceptional circumstances.

I'm testing out pickpocketing various named NPC's tonight just to make sure its working properly. Thats really where I was hoping this thread was going to go. Finding anomalies within the system. Like the fact that the +1 dagger Fuller has is in his quick slot and not his inventory or that Algeron isn't wearing his cloak (or it isn't in his inventory) but rather its in his quick slots.
    Anduin
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    While I can see value in doing this to make PPing certain things more difficult, the end result of this actually dampens my enjoyment of the game somewhat.

I for the most part usually play an FMT and basically pickpocket pretty much everyone I come in contact with (Q & L being my most used shortcuts hands down).
    This kind of puts the kibosh on my Candlekeep PP though, as well as all other areas throughout the game.

The already mentioned Phlydia's amulet.
    Or stealing Erik's longbow as he's walking away (or various other NPCs throughout the game).

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    This isn't a bug, but if there are items that you'd like to be able to steal from specific NPCs feel free to post them.

I can tell you right now, Drizzt's scimitars will remain off-limits for all but the most skilled thieves.
    elminsterAlkalurops
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Dee said:

This isn't a bug, but if there are items that you'd like to be able to steal from specific NPCs feel free to post them.

I can tell you right now, Drizzt's scimitars will remain off-limits for all but the most skilled thieves.

You mean, from the one that can chug down the most potions, right ? ;D
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    Dee said:

Being able to pick pocket the other ghosts in the Firewine Ruins would cut down on the amount of cheese used to grab their gear.