Skip to content

Stealth question

does the hide in shadows work with the walk silent ability for going stealth or is the walk silent ability just somthing that is usless?

Comments

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    As currently implemented Move Silently is better in all circumstances. For initially hiding the check uses an average of Hide in Shadows and Move Silently scores. For repeat checks every round to see if you stay stealthed, Move Silently alone is checked. So a high Move Silently score will actually help you hide and stay hidden.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited October 2013
    I don't know if what @Corvino said has ever been confirmed (although I do remember reading something similar). Another theory is that the game takes the average of the 2 abilities and uses that as your overall 'stealth' score, which is then used for both initiating and maintaining stealth. So having 150 in one and 50 in the other is the same as having 100 in both.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    edited October 2013
    It mostly seems that the initial check is based on an average of Move Silently and Hide in Shadows, like @Corvino and @TJ_Hooker says.
    TJ_Hooker said:

So having 150 in one and 50 in the other is the same as having 100 in both.

I'm currently playing a Shadowdancer with 120 MS and 55 HiS (including equipment). The initial check to stealth succeeds about 75+% of the time, depending on the environment, and staying hidden almost always succeeds. I should mention that I haven't tested this very thoroughly; I'm just stating what my general experience is so far.

• SacklarSacklar Member Posts: 54
    so what u guys r saying is that most of my points should be going to ms then to his??? CRAP
    being donit he opposite
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    There was a thread a couple of months ago with pretty thorough testing, and it seemed to confirm wait I wrote. It should still show up on the forum search my phone won't let me do.

Honestly, I usually just keep the two about equal while levelling them though.
    @Corvino - This thread, maybe?

If you're focusing 100% on stealth anyway and all checks are based on an average value between the two skills, it doesn't matter how you distribute them at all.
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    Corvino said:

As currently implemented Move Silently is better in all circumstances. For initially hiding the check uses an average of Hide in Shadows and Move Silently scores. For repeat checks every round to see if you stay stealthed, Move Silently alone is checked. So a high Move Silently score will actually help you hide and stay hidden.

I just confirmed this with the original BG SoA. I created a character with 5 Hide in Shadows and 225 Move Silently. On average I have a hide failure about 1/10th of the time, which is kind of shocking.

I realized the Stealth skill for Rangers was a combination of the two, but I never knew that you didn't actually need to put any points into Hide. It actually seems kind of weird lol...

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

Corvino said:

I just confirmed this with the original BG SoA. I created a character with 5 Hide in Shadows and 225 Move Silently. On average I have a hide failure about 1/10th of the time, which is kind of shocking.

I realized the Stealth skill for Rangers was a combination of the two, but I never knew that you didn't actually need to put any points into Hide. It actually seems kind of weird lol...

That doesn't really confirm anything though. Whether the game uses an average of the skills to initiate stealth and only Move Silently to maintain stealth, or uses the average for both initiating and maintaining stealth, you'd expect to see the results you got.

A better test would be to have 5 in Move Silently and 225 in Hide in Shadows. If what Corvino said above is true, you'd be able to almost always succeed in initiating stealth, but almost always fail in maintaining it. If what I said above is true, you'd expect to succeed in both initiating and maintaining stealth nearly all the time.
    edited October 2013
    According to Dee in another thread an average of Hide in Shadows and Move Silently is used when initially trying to hide, while all checks to maintain stealth afterwards are based on Move Silently alone.

What that means is that you should put all your points in Move Silently.

EDIT: grammar
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    edited October 2013
    TJ_Hooker said:

Corvino said:

That doesn't really confirm anything though. Whether the game uses an average of the skills to initiate stealth and only Move Silently to maintain stealth, or uses the average for both initiating and maintaining stealth, you'd expect to see the results you got.

A better test would be to have 5 in Move Silently and 225 in Hide in Shadows. If what Corvino said above is true, you'd be able to almost always succeed in initiating stealth, but almost always fail in maintaining it. If what I said above is true, you'd expect to succeed in both initiating and maintaining stealth nearly all the time.
    Technically, what I proved is that you don't need to put any points into Hide in Shadows in order to have a high success rate (90+ %) for Hide in Shadows, which was funny to me.

But anyways, upon creating a character with 220 Hide in Shadows and 5 Move Silently, it basically feels like the same results, as if the initial and continued Hide checks are based off an average of the two, to the extent that you only really need to pump one skill, unless you're going for a very high overall Stealth value.

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    It does kind of make sense though. In PnP hide has NOTHING to do with stealth, as BG would term it. You can't move while hiding. Move silently on the other hand is all about stealthily moving around the while being unnoticed.
  • QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    I've seen the MS/HIS analysis posted by @Corvino in several threads but in this thread Dee seems to refute it after talking to the Devs.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/369891#Comment_369891
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I guess it's to prevent rogues from getting perfect stealth too early? If you put the boots of stealth on a ranger it raises their stealth by the average of the values which seems to support the "average" theory.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    So in the end it should not make any difference if you invest all the points to either of the skills or 50/50 or anything in between.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    If you put equally in both... At least you will know your average without having to do the maths... A very insightful thread...
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    Well...
    One camp is saying that it is the average of the two scores used for both initiating and maintaining stealth, pointing to different evidence and pseudo dev posts...
    One camp is saying that average is used to initiate while MS is used for maintaining..
    As far as I've seen noone is claiming that HiS is used for maintaining.

Doesn't that suggest that the smart player should put his/her points in MS alone? Even if you think the first camp is right you don't risk the others being right and your character being weaker for it.

As far as personal experience goes I'd say that from what I've seen it is an average used for both but I'd definitely put points into MS from now on :P
  • Lifat said:

One camp is saying that it is the average of the two scores used for both initiating and maintaining stealth, pointing to different evidence and pseudo dev posts...
    One camp is saying that average is used to initiate while MS is used for maintaining..
    As far as I've seen noone is claiming that HiS is used for maintaining.

If the average is used for maintaining, then HiS is used for maintaining.

I'm with @Anduin. Keeping them even makes it easier to determine your chances at a glance. A point in MS is exactly as effective as a point in HiS, so you might as well distribute them in whatever way seems more convenient to you.

@Dee Does the same code answer what the exact penalty for trying to stealth in daylight is? And is there any penalty still when trying to hide in an actual shadow during daytime? Would be neat to know which penalties (and bonuses, if any) to consider in different situations.

I think @elminster asked somewhere else which file governs this.