Skip to content

BG: EE Forum Trolls...

gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
Will fire or acid work on them?
Post edited by Coriander on
Pluc082TulimyrskyAedanmch202MathuzzzKhamillLRECIkonNavrosAkerhonj0lssoniCrevsDaak

Comments

• AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    Only isolation and negligence can kill a forum troll.
    QuartzKarrgootLediathCrevsDaak
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I do ban people once in a while. Some say I'm too lenient though.
  • RenshtalisRenshtalis Member Posts: 136
    @tanthalas, yup! Waaaaay too lawful gud bro, get some chaotic into ya!
  • gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124
    Tanthalas said:

I do ban people once in a while. Some say I'm too lenient though.

I like how libertarian the moderation has been on here so far. Please keep up the good work =]. Perfect forum regulation for my tastes.
    QuartzCrevsDaak
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    gfm50 said:

Will fire or acid work on them?

How about not provoking them? Or maybe even not jumping to conclusions about people being trolls?
    Candramelekhpurebredcornn0class
  • ConphantusConphantus Member Posts: 51
    I've seen a few upset posts, but I haven't noticed any actual trolls on this forum. As for fire or acid, it only works if you know the IRL location of the troll and I'd only advice it if the troll is located in a nation without legal authorities..
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @Conphantus I don't know if troll is the right word for this, I thought that trolls were aware of what they were doing, I was never sure with this one. Decline and Fall of a thread, I think the worst posts get removed anyway.
  • ConphantusConphantus Member Posts: 51
    @Moomintroll I agree that it's not trolling if it's not done deliberately. The post you link to seems to be more about sensitive forumites that don't know how to behave. For all I care, fire and acid might work on them aswell though ;)
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @Tanthalas - I don't think you're too lenient at all - many forums are definitely too eager with the banhammer even in cases where I feel a locked thread and warnings would have been the proportional response. Is there no "muting" option though? Perhaps one should be requested. It would be a good intermediate option.
    Quartz
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I don't think there is very much trolling going on on these forums, and I don't care very much about it. I don't think it's a job of moderators to guide a discussion anyway. I'm quite glad there is not heavy handed approach on these forums, it's a lot more offputting in a community than trolling.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I just hope this place doesn't become a troll fest such as the Bioware Social Network. Aside from my passion for the Baldur's Gate games and my looking forward to the release of BG:EE, it is the main reason I moved to these forums. Sadly, I've already seen some troll faces here and there... Mind you, I'm not asking for excessive forum regulations, but let's try to not be too soft either. Provocative posts will onlylead to flamewars and sour people's mood anyway.
    CommunardCheesebelly
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Only encountered 1 and he's been quoted here already.

Guilty of answering him and getting to... words.
    Communard
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    lansounet said:

Only encountered 1 and he's been quoted here already.

Guilty of answering him and getting to... words.

Maciak87 said:

It is really amusing to see that people consider opinions radically different from their own to be trolling.

@lansounet: You mean, like this?
    I agree.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Thanthalas tried the flail of ages at first, but swiftly moved in favour of the Banhammer.
    gfm50
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    The worst thing about forum trolls is their damn life-regeneration speed, much better than a standard troll. Impossible to kill!
    gfm50
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @Jean_Luc - I see what you did there ;)
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    My avatar suggest I'm a troll. Will you start dousing me with fire and acid now please ? :)

I don't think it's trolling most of the time, but hardcore fanbase that are persuaded they are right, and not open to discussion. But I DID see a little trolling here and there, with a sometime-lethal dose of sarcasm. I'm not against sarcasm in viable dosis but too much does have a bad impact on the atmosphere one has to agree.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Don't feed the trolls. Ignoring a troll is like firing an ice bolt into their heart, then casting Agannazar's Scorcher

Moomintroll
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    nothing works against me, I have immunity vs all... ok a ban would probably work;)
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    @Tanthalas
    If you would indulge my curiosity. What does it take to get banned? Or, what are some reasons people have been banned?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited August 2012
    @Sceptenar

Well, all the people I've banned were basically directly insulting other posters on a regular basis and insisted in that behaviour even after I started deleting their posts and asked them to tone down their behaviour.

Besides that its mostly duplicate accounts.
    Post edited by Tanthalas on
    LediathtrinitCrevsDaak
  • AlistuspalloAlistuspallo Member Posts: 13
    I would deep freeze one, then come back for it when I would have an urge to lay some violence on someone...some inhuman amount of negative energy would be fun to see sending one of these trolls in to the lowest parts of the hells.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Why fire and acid? I say - Shapechange : Mind Flayer form. Kill them with non standard means ;)

Or simply Imprisonment. I heard it works wonders.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    geez what are you guys talking about?

fire always works. always.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I don't know how much trolling goes on on the forums to be honest, I haven't noticed it.
    That said, sometimes I do wonder about how many times people are going to post about Viconia's BG1 portrait or the possibility of playing as a Drow... >.<
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    I think the word "troll" is thrown around to freely, and all too often is used to label someone whose opinion is simply different from one's own. I'm not saying trolling doesn't exist, I'm just saying it's important to be cautious before labeling someone as such.
    Jean_Luc
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    actually, this seems like such a friendly community and board, that i haven't seen a single troll. i've seen a couple of imps, maybe somehow who should have a nickname like pan or loki, but overall, everyone is friendly, helpful, and, thought i'm shocked to say this, people on A FORUM HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR. This game must be magic to have accomplished that last one.

/end trolling
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    I`ve seen stupid on this forum (like recognizing like i guess) but not much trolling. i should know. Being a Norwegian and we`ve got proper ones. Go see Troll hunter, it`s a documentary..
    Moomintroll
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    I hope so. They already took over De'Arnise's Facebook account.

In all seriousness, trolling on this forum is nothing compared to others I have seen. Try the Newgrounds BBS, when it comes to feeding trolls they practically give them a Steak & Lobster dinner along with the finest wines. You can just imagine what this breeds...
    CrevsDaak