Skip to content

Make spell fights more transparent

CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
This should apply more to BG2, but still. Magic fights are a mess. A lot of protections don't protect against what they look like they should protect against. It's often hard to figure out what has worked or not, and why, with the in-game messages.

There are fixpacks that have done a great job streamlining this - but there is still room for improvement.

1. Make in game messages more informative. What has been dispelled, and by what?
Example: Breach - ineffective (target Kangaxx immune to 5th level or lower spells).
2. Do something about the Improved Invisibility + Spell Immunity: Divination cheese. Perhaps area of effect spell protection dispellers? Or make it so that Improved Invisibility does not prevent spell attacks being cast on the subject?
3. We need more documentation about some monsters' immunities or innate spells (beholder's anti-magic ray).
4. Also make the spell descriptions more precise.
5. Fix magic resistance blocking desired spells. Fixpacks have helped, but there are still problems left. Don't forget magic resistant summons (like Skeleton Warriors) that we want to buff!
6. Fix imprisonment permanently removing the victim - make it greyed out instead. What's the point of the Freedom spell if Imprisonment kills the PC?
7. Death spell automatically getting rid of summons is a bit overpowered IMO. Especially with modded AIs that have it in Contingencies that activate as soon as something is summoned. Maybe allow a saving throw based on the HDs of the summon?

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Agree with all except points 6 and 7
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Point 7 has to stay.
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    Thanks for your replies.

I really insist on #6 - Imprisonment.

Don't you find seriously overpowered a spell that will end the game with no save? Sure there are spell defenses or Shield of the Archons if you are a mage or cleric, enrage if you are a berserker. But all the other classes are virtually powerless against Imprisonment.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 23
    One thing that I think would be moderately useful would be a way to identify which spell an opponent is casting so that you can prepare a counter spell. There was some form of this present in 3rd edition rules, which made a spellcasting check vs the opponent + spell lvl, but I'm not sure if there was any way to identify which spell was being cast in 2nd edition rules.

Also, when higher level mages have contingencies for several protection spells in the later game, it can be really difficult to tell exactly which protection spells they have activated. It would be nice to make this information a little bit more accessible as well.

These are just my thoughts. Overall I think @Cloutier has some great suggestions for improving the (extremely often) lategame spell battles.
  • FlauschigFlauschig Member Posts: 84
    I like the 1. one the most. Sometimes it's really confusing not to know why things happen how they happen.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    1) is basically what made me uninstall SCSII, at least the improved mages component. It's such guesswork to determine what debuff to cast and in what order. It's still a frustration with normal mages, but much less since they usually don't use many protections.

Basically the whole buff/debuff/resists system is very obscure, there's a ton of spells that serve similar-but-not-identical purposes; it could be a lot more fun but as is it's just guesswork because it's entirely unclear what works against what. Plus all the monster's innate abilities as mentionned. So I wholeheartedly agree that we need better feedback at the UI level as well as more accurate spell descriptions. That goes beyond buffs and debuffs but this is perhaps the most significant case for it.

As for imprisonment, I guess the solution would be SCSII's approach: just never target it at the PC.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Yes, please. Yes to all except #7, which I don't think is a problem.

Spell battles in BG2 are so messy.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Agree with all except 7 and 5. Especially 5. Magic Resistance shouldn't just block "bad" spells, that would just be cheesy. Much better that it has both advantages and disadvantages.
    Re: #5, I think D&D has always assumed that magic resistance is not an obstacle against desired spells, but I'm not 100% sure.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Cloutier

I think you're right. At least in IWD, the lore of one of the items you can get there mentions how beneficial spells can bypass a Drow's magic resistance.

I think I've seen @AndreaColombo quoting one of the DnD books about it too.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Magic resistance can be lowered at will by the creature in AD&D it's not a question of beneficial spells bypassing it, but a conscious choice.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    What @mlnevese said. In PnP, natural magic resistance can be lowered at will by the creature possessing it, though of course magic resistance granted by items cannot. Mimicking this behavior entirely in Baldur's Gate is, I'm afraid, impossible due to engine limitations.
  • WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    For number 2, Improved Invisibility + NonDetection should protect the invisibility! That or nondetection needs to be reworded to state exactly what pierces through it (alt removed as it doesn't do anything).
    I've always found Non-Detection to be really messy. IIRC it doesn't protect against True Sight.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Cloutier said:

Thanks for your replies.

Don't you find seriously overpowered a spell that will end the game with no save? Sure there are spell defenses or Shield of the Archons if you are a mage or cleric, enrage if you are a berserker. But all the other classes are virtually powerless against Imprisonment.

Imprisonment requires touch, so it is not that overpowered... also I like it the way it is :)

• IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    It's a love-hate to number 1 for me. I sometimes love how frustrating it can be when you don't know what happened and why won't my spells take effect on him. But on the other hand, yeah it's the opposite...frustrations, well they're frustrations and generally speaking we wouldn't want that.haha
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    edited August 2012
    If Imprisonment just greys them out (they are dead in other words), you could just raise them again. Making the imprisonment spell just an instant death effect, and completely invalidating the freedom spell (because you only need a level 5 cleric spell to raise someone, while freedom is a level 9 mage spell).

Further, if it doesn't kill them, but just puts them in an infinite maze effect, then you couldn't leave the area without kicking them out of the team (you can't kick the PC...).
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Agree strongly with all but 7. I don't think 5 of an issue in the bg2.engine
    Sceptenar said:

If Imprisonment just greys them out (they are dead in other words), you could just raise them again.

Hmmm... disabled characters (like panicked or stunned) are greyed out, they don't have to be dead.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Cloutier said:

1. Make in game messages more informative. What has been dispelled, and by what?
    Example: Breach - ineffective (target Kangaxx immune to 5th level or lower spells).

This.
  • RobachickenRobachicken Member Posts: 8
    I agree with number 1, a little more information would be useful in certain situations. As for number 6, I like how it works - once your main character is gone, that's it. Exactly the same as when they die, it's the end of game with no chance of resurrection.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited October 2012
    Cloutier said:

Hmmm... disabled characters (like panicked or stunned) are greyed out, they don't have to be dead.

But here's the thing: imprisonment physically takes the person away, to a cage pocket plane of sorts. It makes sense removing them from the party because they're *gone* until someone casts Freedom.
  • SirCumferenceSirCumference Member Posts: 35
    I always thought that if the main character was imprisoned that the game should not just end, because when I have a mage in my group with freedom I should be able to cast it to get him back. I don't know how you would code or limit this and while it is a minor event in the grand scheme it's annoying.
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    #6 always got me sooooo angry!!! Why would a Bhaal spawn be defeated by a silly illusion? ..specially when his party could cast Freedom, it makes no sense at all, really bad game design imo!
    I always thought that spells such as imprisonment and flesh to stone should not end the game if CHARNAME fails the save.

By the time you see these spells in the game your mages will most probably be able to revert the spells. If not your party can always purchase a scroll and free you.

Instant death spells, such as finger of death, should end the game as usual, as in death you lose the Bhaal essence.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    Those spells end the game for the same reason why PC's death does (despite there being 'raise the dead' in game) - because if the game went on, it would be technically possible for the player to continue the game without PC - only with NPCs, and without a Baalhspawn in the party the entire plot of the game would be pointless.

About imprisonment 'removing' the NPC from the party: I agree it would be better if the portrait was grayed out, with an icon similar to the one for 'maze' indicating what happened to them. It's just plain weird if I cast 'freedom' after a fight with Knagaxx, and Jahaira starts yelling at me about me kicking her out, rather than thank me for bothering with the expensive scroll.
    Actually, I think the same should go for petrification - if I run frantically around the map, looking for a temple to sell me 'stone to flesh' scroll, I'd rather hear, "Thank you PC!", rather than "Why are you kicking me out" dialog afterwards. ;)
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    I actually made a table that should reflect how the spell battles go (you really need this with SCS): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoLScCUe7V__dE1RaEhCbm5na0VlakQwYVMxOFJVc1E

Once the game comes out I'll have to test and confirm this though.
    I always think as a roleplayer. Most groups would never let one of their own imprisoned or turned into a stone statue if they could revert it. I always forget that in a computer game it's not always true.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Cloutier said:

Thanks for your replies.

I find it more interesting to deal with opponents who have powerful spells like imprisonment. Sure, it was annoying the beginning, but there are ways around them. If you cast the right spell at the right time you can insta kill Kangaxx, so I guess the trade off is that if you screw it up he can insta kill you.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited October 2012
    Cloutier said:

Thanks for your replies.

The reason I love BG is that its HARD-CORE: the way it used to be in many rpg games. Didn't bother a quicksave and now you're imprisoned? Might as well failed a save vs. death spell. BG rewards the prepared player and punishes the unprepared. This is the way it should stay, perma-death (for pc or npc) is is a key part of that.