Skip to content

The Black Pits 2: Gladiators of Thay

WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
I've seen a lot of speculations on many of the BG2:EE's new content, but none on the new Black Pits adventure!
What does everyone think about it?
Do you think it is related to the end cinnematic of the Black Pits, when Najim sends you somewhere and it says you arrive to an unfamiliar scenery or something along the lines.

I think we might have NPCs in the The Black Pits 2: Gladiators of Thay, the devs might take the opportunity to create new NPC's with the new fits (dwarven defender, dragon disciple etc.) with cool voice sets and portraits.
Post edited by Wolk on
Delvarian

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I've heard there is going to be a demilich or some jargon like that in the black pits 2, that will be interesting
    JonelethIrenicus
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    @sarevok57 i've went through that too, I just hope it won't only be a single demilich, something like a demilich with it's pet golems or something to spice things up a little bit.
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    Or just that nice beholder you chat with in bg2 :)
    MortiannaWolk
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178

Or just that nice beholder you chat with in bg2 :)

Maybe even the beholder you chat in current black pits.
    He says he has greater power than Baeloth and were tricked into slavery.
    It would be nice to see him again since he is experienced in pit fighting business :D

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Yeah, but you kill him in the final battle.
    CoryNewbWolk

o_O

How did I miss that.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    edited October 2013
    Spoilers: yes eudaemonium is correct, you slay the beholder in the very fun final battle. I am looking forward to the new black pits content. Even after recently playing through it, I don't know how much will be tied to bg1 outside of baeloth and possibly imported parties from black pits 1.

It has been said that baeloth will be busy during BG and not a playable NPC, so that leaves me to assume he will be running black pits 2 and potentially dies or leaves the sword coast at the finale of black pits 2.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    zerckan said:

o_O

How did I miss that.
    You need to kill the Rakshasa and dwarf before you kill Baeloth, then he summons the Beholder :) (If you then kill the Behodler he will summon Flesh Golems).
    I see.
    I think I always killed baeloth first.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

there is a Beholder in BG2 that you can kill, but he comes back later on in TOB. As they say, Death is but a door. go into the light Carol-ann.

elminster
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I kill Baeloth first too. It's my strategy to always kill the magic user first.

I enjoyed the black pits very much, great to try out builds. Interested to try out the next one.
    zerckanPantalion
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    I've never fought the beholder either, makes sense to down Baeloth first. I'll need to play this again so I can fight the beholder :D
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    I'm surprised there are ppl who enjoyed it. I thought of it as useless filler content =(

To each his own I guess. I would rather have 1 hour of new gameplay in the main story than 3 hours of new gameplay in the Black Pits though...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

The black pits appeals to people who like to try out odd or new character builds, it's also entertainingly written. I'm not really much of a fan either, but it serves it's purpose well, which is to allow players to try out combat builds in an easy and accessible way.

That and being an alternative for players looking at playing multiplayer. You might be able to get through 3-4 interesting battles in 30 minutes and if your save is far enough into it you can pick and choose which battles you fight.
    IllustairEudaemoniumAnton
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

I don't! I would never harm the Great Insightful One and I look forward to chatting with him again!

lunarEudaemoniumelminsteralnair
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Back to the title of the topic - Gladiators of Thay, eh? Maybe we'll run into some of Edwin's associates, perhaps the wizard who overlooks Edwina.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I'm really waiting on this. It offers quick Baldur's Gate fun for people like me who find it hard these days to find the time to immerse in a fantasy game for a couple of consecutive hours.
  • MikeMastersMikeMasters Member Posts: 141
    I think it will be a talk show with the funny Spectator Beholder as the talk show host.

"Visitors! It has been some time since I have had anyone but the mad little Sahuagin come to this place... and that one is not full of riveting conversation."
    KidCarnivalEudaemonium
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited October 2013
    sarevok57 said:

I've heard there is going to be a demilich or some jargon like that in the black pits 2, that will be interesting

The official BG2EE site ( http://www.baldursgateii.com/ ) Says this...

The Black Pits 2: Gladiators of Thay - Explore the tactical depth of high-level Dungeons & Dragons combat. Undermine your captors and prey upon their weaknesses while you dodge traps and battle for your life against Demi-Liches, Mind Flayers, and Githyanki.

But that aside... I still wonder if we'll get to see Baeloth in some manner in there.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I imagine baeloth will be involved. Which is why he is calling it the black pits again.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    I don't know the answer, but how far is Thay from Baldurs Gate or Amn? Also didn't Thay have lots of undead? Could Baeloth return as a lich?
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    elminster said:

That and being an alternative for players looking at playing multiplayer. You might be able to get through 3-4 interesting battles in 30 minutes and if your save is far enough into it you can pick and choose which battles you fight.

Agreed. Thus it would be great to have some randomization for more interesting repetitive multiplayer runs.
    elminster
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    I love Baldur's Gate, but I admit I had fun with The Black Pits. It's a proving ground for character concepts, a place to use said concepts when you have as many as I do (seriously, I can't imagine running through the full game with as many character ideas as I have, I must start a dozen games for every time I actually finish a game), and, well... it's quick and fun.
    Delvarian
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Black Pits was fine to play. It was short, but nice. Though I thought the story was pretty meh. It had some interesting characters in the shopkeepers and Bealoth, but it never really went anywhere with that. I never felt like any of the characters I created really mattered one way or the other. I'd have liked more interactions with characters and be able to make choices or even the odd little side quest, but the Black Pits didn't really leave much opportunity for that. I hope that in BG2:EE it's more ambitious and tells a better story.
    jackjack
    Can't wait.
    Does it begin at level 1 and go up to tob levels or what?
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    NEATO!