Skip to content

Is it possible to give text-patch community members credit alongside the French Translation Team ?

La_VoixLa_Voix Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 772
edited August 2012 in General
There is a mod hosted by the internet community 'La Couronne de Cuivre' that fixes a great deal of mistakes in the French dialog.tlk of Baldur's Gate. This mod was created years ago by various members (who were based on reports by the whole community), and is currently still maintained. The list of the mistakes and their fixes included in this mod would help us tremendously in our work, and I contacted the person currently in charge of it. He said he may agree for us to use the list and the text fixes, provided that the community of La Couronne de Cuivre, or at least the main contributors of the mod, are credited alongside the French Translation team.

My question is : is this possible ?

Comments

• MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    @La_Voix better send some batman signal here ;)@CameronTofer

This raise the issue of recognition of volonteer help in BGEE. Trent did say somewhere he couldn't legally promise anything, but that was a month ago I think. What is the current BeamDog stand ?
  • CameronToferCameronTofer Administrator, Developer Posts: 279
    We have no problems giving credit. If the plan is to accept files from them verbatim that they have the copyright to then they'll need to sign the Content Submission Agreement. If they send us a bug report of errors and omissions to the our translation then they don't have to.

Either way I'm happy to give credit to whoever is involved.
  • La_VoixLa_Voix Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 772
    @CameronTofer The plan is to use the bug report of errors and omissions to help my team, so I guess there is no need for signing a Content Submission Agreement.
    However, the mod is under the GNU General Public License (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.txt - section 5 of the terms and conditions is the one that concerns us).
    My contact told me that it might be a problem, and it may not suit Beamdog... Can you tell me if it is the case ?
  • CameronToferCameronTofer Administrator, Developer Posts: 279
    It's a problem with us if you violate their license. Don't incorporate any of the their data or files into ours, we must honor their license. It's ok to use it as reference or a guide.