Skip to content

PaintBG for all BG platforms

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,678
edited October 2013 in General Modding
Not sure if it should be here or in the 'fan creations' section. We - artastrophe and me - have just released a portrait mod. All of the portraits were done by artastrophe from scratch. I did the scalling and WeiDU installer for BG1/BG2/BGT/Tutu (EE version is manual). The pack is available at SHS and here is the sample poster.
http://www.shsforums.net/topic/55680-day-1-of-12-paintbg-portrait-mod-released/page__pid__552156#entry552156

EDIT: version 2 poster

Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
mch202ArchaicDurlachionSirK8Sylvus_MoonbowsmeagolheartAntonZafiroIllustairOndsknzdawghausTroodon80FredjohansoloSomulo_elminsterSwordsNotWordsMadPaladinKhyronDinoalnairKamigoroshiThe_Guilty_PartyWilburSterling580EtaminmackosAlejabarwyh187370OxvaMaxAraderPantalionCrevsDaakvnkwerjauPrincess_SarahmeaglothBlueTieflingButtercheeseDark_AnsemSedaqzinaBanArdlolienBrer_RabbitOneAngryMushroominethTola_ZagniyGrammarsaladMercilec

Comments

• neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196
    nice set of portrait thanks for sharing =)
    Archaiclolien
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    Sick! Love it.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,678
    I'm glad you like it! Oh, as you may have realized, the mod includes some portraits for male and female charnames. (all of those after Haer'Dalis so the last line + 2 portraits Dalis' line)
    lolien
    Lol xD
    Not sure about the worldmap, though. I may ask her, but I'm afraid that would mean new area icons while I'm not good when dealing with these etc... and we're planning to expand the project and do some mod NPCs, so... But still, will pass the message.

She's not my lover :P But I love her work ^^ We're kinda soulmates ^^

Thanks for wishes! The same to you!

Not sure about the Tylenol after drinking... would suggest more non-alcoholic drink :P +no bread!

Thanks for the hearts and hugs... :P I think... :P

Have fun ;)
    lolien
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Lovely artwork from a technical standpoint, though the artist really should work on not making every person a Hollywood Face. Still, I will probably be using this for my upcoming playthroughs, because they do look really great.
    LavaDelVortel
    edited January 2013
    A v1.1 is up :) In the new version I included some portraits that appeared in old-BG mod version and were missed in EE package + a brand new portrait for Baeloth!
    http://artastrophe.deviantart.com/art/Baeloth-348831163
    MykraSirK8moopy
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252

A v1.1 is up :) In the new version I included some portraits that appeared in old-BG mod version and were missed in EE package + a brand new portrait for Baeloth!
    http://artastrophe.deviantart.com/art/Baeloth-348831163

Nice!
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @LavaDelVortel - I really like your art style. I'm using several of these in my current play through. Thanks.
    lolien
    Artastrophe is the author - I am the guy with the whip who's making her work xD No, seriously - I'm just a coder and the one who's maintaining the mod, updating, making suggestions etc. She is the real artist behind this :)
    Illustairlolien
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    These look great, any chance at trying your hand at originals or other portraits (IWD, etc)?

My only wish is that there were more! The 'portrait packs' that add portraits to non-joinable NPCs in BG1/2 often use a garish mix of styles. I know that's an impossible task for anything short of an artist-army, but here's wishing.

If you want a stylistic critique, I'll offer it: some of the cheeks / skin around cheek bones (esp. for females) is too smooth / made-up. It's a tiny thing, and most artists like hearing something other than "perfect!", so there ya go.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Just wanted to point out that the upcoming BG:EE patch (and most likely BG2:EE as well) brings some changes of how custom portraits works: The game will now automatcally resize the L portrait to fit all sizes, which makes the M and S portraits unnecessary. You can read more about the change here at the 10-25-2013 update: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21975/update-list
    lolien
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    Now that this post is back in circulation I just have to praise - I uploaded PaintBG about two months ago and it's amazing. At first I was a bit shocked after having been used to the original art for more than a decade, but within a few hours I could barely even remember what the old art looked like. Now the original artwork looks so garish to me. I actually felt myself having a hard time deciding if I should keep Nalia in my party because her PaintBG portrait is so great - I always thought she was freaky and annoying when it was the original artwork. Gush gush. Alora is also perfect now, a great match with her new improved playability - that old Alora looked like a 50 year old fortune teller.
    Eudaemonium
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

Just wanted to point out that the upcoming BG:EE patch (and most likely BG2:EE as well) brings some changes of how custom portraits works: The game will now automatcally resize the L portrait to fit all sizes, which makes the M and S portraits unnecessary. You can read more about the change here at the 10-25-2013 update: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/21975/update-list

Is this actually confirmed for NPCs? We know this is the case when selecting player portraits, but overriding NPC ones might have to be done the old way.
    edited October 2013
    Uh, another portrait change....? Yay...
    Well, using this package won't crash the game, they just should use 210x330 portraits and they won't need to select smaller versions at all. I think it would need to stay like that anyway because there are people who do not update the EE version. At least I heard about them.

Sylvus - I doubt it will happen and there is a reason. It's not just about the worldmap, but also about the fact it would need all the icons for all areas. And that's not all. Do you remember BG2 and BG1 area icons? When the cursor is on the icon, it starts to glow, there is a blue version if you did not visit the area... all the glowing/different shades, everything is a seperated image. One icon has like 10 images. It's jus too much and it's not worth it. I had to deal with that when I worked on my other mod -- Innershade -- and even though I did my best, it's still a bit awkward (the icon). It's not as easy as it seems. And drawing a map without new icons...I'm not sure if there's any point in it.

Oh, btw -- not sure if you saw it, but EE version includes Isra and White NPCs :)
    lolien

Uh, another portrait change....? Yay...
    Well, using this package won't crash the game, they just should use 210x330 portraits and they won't need to select smaller versions at all. I think it would need to stay like that anyway because there are people who do not update the EE version. At least I heard about them.

Sylvus - I doubt it will happen and there is a reason. It's not just about the worldmap, but also about the fact it would need all the icons for all areas. And that's not all. Do you remember BG2 and BG1 area icons? When the cursor is on the icon, it starts to glow, there is a blue version if you did not visit the area... all the glowing/different shades, everything is a seperated image. One icon has like 10 images. It's jus too much and it's not worth it. I had to deal with that when I worked on my other mod -- Innershade -- and even though I did my best, it's still a bit awkward (the icon). It's not as easy as it seems. And drawing a map without new icons...I'm not sure if there's any point in it.

Oh, btw -- not sure if you saw it, but EE version includes Isra and White NPCs :)

Since I'm using the beta, I can confirm that this change doesn't affect this mod in the slightest (since I am using it). The change only affects the selection of custom portraits (and even then, you can still manually select them individually, as before), and NPC portraits have to be overridden exactly like before. So basically business as usual with the possible exception of the Charname portraits (and even there, the re-sizing can at times be a bit wonky).
    LavaDelVortelBrer_Rabbit
    Thanks for letting me know :)
    Eudaemoniumlolien
  • The_Guilty_PartyThe_Guilty_Party Member Posts: 44
    This is by far the best portrait pack I've ever seen. The portraits look good without being supermodel photoshops. They're consistent with themselves, and with the broader BG style. Good job!
    Eudaemoniumlolien
  • ivavlakulivavlakul Member Posts: 30
    Really nice portrait pack, love it since the 1st release.
    Yet, cannot access shsforums for an unknown reason (website temporary down?). Can anybody kindly share v2 for BGEE?
  • Sterling580Sterling580 Member Posts: 26
    Likewise, can't access the forum for some reason.
    It's a tech problem -- it should be back soon, I hope.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    As I said on SHS, great pack. This is some sick, sick, sick art.

My only (small) (little) gripe would be that I don't think the dorn/rasaad portraits don't fit.
    Rasaad feels like he's a sadistic guy ready to buttkick toddlers, and Dorn looks like a tree-lovin hippie... but maybe I'm slightly exaggerating :D
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    On the contrary, I like Dorn portait. I may even use it as a main in BG2EE, if devs wont badurize his BGEE portrait.

The only portrait I really dont like is Viconia 1.

Also, Hexxat is missing.
    Because there the present version is for BG1EE not BG2EE. There will be a new version once everything is official.

Dorn and Rasaad were prepared before EE was released. That's mostly why we could base only on their portraits which were official before EE was available.
    I think Dorn looks kind-of rogue-ish in his PBG portrait, but I actually really like it for him. I've gotten so used to it by now.

I think Rasaad's conveys that smug superiority you know he feels in his heart =P
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    So I looked at the readme, and I still had a question about installing these for BG:EE. Do you just select the portraits you want from the folder and drop them in override, or do you need to create a Portraits folder and drop them in those?
    You can do either. I find portraits more convenient since I have enough files in override as it is!
    Oh, I should add that the override folder will only work when you're overriding the defaults. If you want a bunch to select via custom portraits then you need a portraits folder. Mine is in the Documeńts section with the exported characters folder and save games.
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    edited November 2013
    Great addition to the enhanced edition. I can't play without this mod. Small advice, would be easier if you would release batch with all your basic and alternative portraits. Now you have to download two versions juggle between them to choose NPC prortrait you like the most.
    BTW, will you release similar package for BG2:EE?
    mackosLoldrup
  • HelminoHelmino Member Posts: 106
    Fantastic portrait, good job :)