Skip to content

What is Rosetta and why did it break my game?

I downloaded the update and then launched the game. Immediately I got a message saying that it wants to install Rosetta. So I said, OK, Rosetta is a nice sounding name. It must be for the good of all things. Rosetta installed, and so I went to launch the game again and nothing happens. :"(

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited November 2013
    Lack of detail is useful...

Are you using a Mac? If so it is likely this (beware the half-assed link, you'll need the software part as well);

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_(software)

Why it's not working? No idea...
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    OS X Version 10.6.8
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.47f2

CrevsDaak
    decado said:

Lack of detail is useful...

Are you using a Mac? If so it is likely this (beware the half-assed link, you'll need the software part as well);

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_(software)

Why it's not working? No idea...

That link was useless.

On my own I found:

Rosetta
    Software included with Intel-based Macintosh computers that enables them to run PowerPC applications.

Why BG:EE installed this and why the game doesn't even launch now is a mystery.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Can you uninstall Rosetta?
    Dee said:

Can you uninstall Rosetta?

Not sure, it doesn't show up on a system search. It's not an app or a utility. It's like it only existed immediately after the updater finished downloading, then it ran, then it disappeared. The end result is of course a game that no longer launches.

Researching this Rosetta thing online but so far nothing.
    OK good to know. I already uninstalled the game, so if it happens again after reinstalling it I will follow those steps. Trouble is now trying to find a place to download it again!
    edited November 2013
    I downloaded the client, but the installer wont launch. Is Rosetta disabling THAT too?! Holy Mother of Corellon Larethian!!! I better follow those steps. Oh wait, there aren't any steps for that. I guess I better wait for Beamdog support to get back to me next week sometime.

Anyways, they don't have a OS specific download option, which is weird because why would the same thing for for Win and OS? May have downloaded the wrong one.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Be sure to download the installer for the Mac version. That could be why it's not launching for you. The file name should end in .dmg.
    Dee said:

Be sure to download the installer for the Mac version. That could be why it's not launching for you. The file name should end in .dmg.

They don't make it easy to find the mac version, it's simply not there at all.

• CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    edited November 2013
    I've seen this happen randomly in testing - Something got corrupted during the download. Try going into Game Data folder, and delete 777.fastresume. Then go into the 00777 folder, Show Contents on the BGEE App. In Contents/MacOS, delete the BGEE Executable. Then restart the launcher and update.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110

@Leteralus

Click this link.

Click on the big Install Now button.

Fixed that for you. :)
    @Sylvus You rock, but you know nothing is ever that simple for me. I must have created my initial BD account under a now deleted email account, because I have zero games listed under the My Games section. It's all very confusing, I get emails from BD on my one and only email account. I BOUGHT BG2:EE with THAT email, and BG2:EE doesn't even show up (maybe cause it's not officially released yet). So, I gotta get a hold of Beamdog and figure out how I messed up, and see if I can get my account(s) squared away before I can get the game back!!

After that, your rock solid instructions should make it Lateralus proof.

Then it's just a matter of getting back to the initial problem. :(
    CrevsDaak
    Well, with major thanks to Dee I was able to find my correct account and download the game. It patched. It played. Rosetta did not join the party this time. YES!!
    Cerevant