Skip to content

Account Name, what's your story?

1234568»

Comments

• dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    I didn't choose my name because I'm crazy, I chose it because I'm crazy...mumble mumble...kill them, kill them all...he he he...
    TeflonCrevsDaak
  • It's the only thing I like about nwn2. My ramdom character name.
    Teflon[Deleted User]
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    edited June 2013
    EntropyXII/Entropy12. Always been my gamertag.

Entropy - because I like the word and the philosophical construct in which it insinuates. The number 12 has always been my number. It was my football number (soccer) and and for a variety of other reason, I have always found it lucky. I had it tattoo'd on my arm last year.
    TeflonCrevsDaak
  • ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154

reed = last name
    mil = military
    fam = family

@reedmilfam: And here I was thinking you were a MILF named Reed.

Anyway, the story behind my account name goes way back when I was in elementary school, maybe 4th grade. We had to improvise in front of the class ( if I remember correctly, I improvised an elderly mad scientist building an atomic bomb in his garden shed), after which some of my classmates christened me improvisaattori (Finnish for improvisator [not probably a real word]). This has then been corrupted to Impro, Impropaattur ( as in Improbatur in Latin, meaning failed [grade that is]) and finally Imperator. The fact that it means emperor in Latin is just a bonus. There's also a bit of alliteration, as my first name begins with the letter i, although the next letter is not a consonant but another i.
    rexregCrevsDaak
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    You know, polymer. 'nuff said.
    TJ_HookerFredjo
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited June 2013
    Troodon. Because I'm a species-confused panda.

The real reason is this: The name is that of a dinosaur. A few years ago, I was asked to research some dinosaurs for a friend of mine who was working for the Natural History Museum in London. I came across this one and liked it. Apparently, though, I wasn't the only one who thought about the name.

The username itself came from when I was setting up my very first e-mail account. I wanted to go with Troodon, but it was taken. Second in line was Troodon46. Taken. So I tried Troodon60, Troodon70, and Troodon80. All but the last were taken, so that's the one I settled on. 60, 70, and 80 are all years that coincide with other events for me.

I know I commented before, but I figured I'd give the real reason :).
    Post edited by Troodon80 on
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    It originally started as Zeran, on the Graal server of Valkolia, before they went pay2play. I joined the Clan of Kariashi, and eventually became it's lord (Lord of the Kariashi, which is Zeran/Zanath's formal title), as players slowly bled out of the server as things went downhill, and I became the only one left.

Zanath came about due to my book series's start as an RPG Maker game I never finished, but ended up resulting in a cohesive backstory for the character, as well as several of the key supporting cast members, who have fluctuated in role as time has gone on, until they reached their current point in time and have fully solidified in characterization and history.

They're both technically interchangable, as they're just the same character at different points in time. Generally speaking, I will not play on a server or game where either name is taken.

I'm very much a sufferer of Seagalism, where I always play the same character, with pretty much the same name, just modified slightly to fit a setting or game, where backstory is concerned.
    elminster
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    i used Rex Regnum (liberally translated the king who rules over all) as a character name
    i've shortened it to rexreg for expediency
    Teflon
  • RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    I've only ever had a few tags around the web. Rock n' Roll Clown was one of the longest running. I borrowed it straight from a Def Leppard song, titled 'Photograph'. That was the song that introduced me to the band, and it contained one of my favorite guitar riffs. The lyrics never meant anything to me, it was all to do with the melody, but the line "Look what you've done to this rock n' roll clown!" struck another chord. I was often dubbed the class clown, I loved rock music, and I was (like many other teenagers) angry at the world for no discernible reason.

That tag, which was later abbreviated to RnRClown, became my default handle around the web. It's far from original, and has often been duplicated. It has remained with me because I met my wife online, through a shared interest in Def Leppard, and that tag was how she first identified me. I've tried to change it on a few occasions, to something more original, but neither friends or my wife responded in kind to those efforts. It is now tied to my online identity.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Quartz said:

Quartz was my first chao from Sonic Adventure 2: Battle from when I was like 8. I wrote fan fiction about him and the other characters. He was a "Legendary Chaos Chao." Thus quartzlcc. I have gone by Quartz or "quartzlcc" on every single forum, website, and everything else since. Ten years now...

@Quartz, sorry it took me so long to see this post. That's pretty cool.

I have a similar history with the name "belgarathMTH". It's been more than ten years since I started using it, and close to twenty years since the last time I read the Belgariad (I've read it twice, including the companion volumes "Belgarath the Sorcerer" and "Polgara the Sorceress.")

I am "belgarathmth" in pretty much every forum on the internet that I've ever signed up for. If you play any of the same games I do besides this one, you have probably seen me under this name in many other forums.

The initials on the end came from the first time I tried to get the name "Belgarath". It immediately came up as "name taken", and suggested some random numbers on the end. I thought, "I don't want random numbers in my alter ego's name, and I certainly don't want meaningful numbers in the name, for security's sake." So I stuck my real-life initials on the end. I've never had any trouble again with the name being taken.

Belgarath is the character from fiction I most identify with, and always have since I first read the Belgariad at about age 21. Plus, I think that the full name "Belgarathmth" sounds like a dragon's name, if you pronounce it phonetically instead of saying "Belgarath Em Tee Aych". I imagine myself in dragon form, saying, "My name is Belgarathmth!" with a little puff of fire coming out of my mouth and nose every time I say the "thmth!"

QuartzCrevsDaak
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel of the same title. My absolute favorite of the series by far.
    BelgarathMTHImperator
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    Let's hear 'em!

Mine is the name of a character I thought up, originally (and somewhat embarrassingly) as an idea for a Buffy villain. The basic idea was that he was some kind of tech entrepreneur who had an interest in joining technology with magic, and sought the help of the gang to do this. It eventually becomes apparent that he has plans of his own that are not in anyone's best interests and that he is, in fact, several hundred years old, his name being a play on the words 'Grey Lich'.
    Formerly a Knight Templar seeking forbidden lore and power, only to find himself trapped in hell for many years, he returned as something different, and continued to learn all the secrets he could, even causing several mysterious historic events with his failed experiments (Tunguska being one).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Night_WatchTeflon
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    *sigh* Figures.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    Been away so long i can't recall if i answered this thread or not though i did search and found i probably didn't. Mine is easy to figure out if you're familiar with the particular fictions it's based on. I've always loved the Arthurian legends and watched every movie, no matter how bad, just to get my fill and i read lord of the rings the 1st time when i was 10 and high on drugs. My favorite Arthurian knight is Sir Galahad. So i combined him with an Elven lord from lord of the rings(Silmarillion if i recall) called Gil Galad...it seemed like a perfect fit to me to combine them into Gilgalahad. And that's my name story. Stop yawning.
    EntropyXII has been my account name for everything, for a long time now. Neverwinter Nights, Xbox, various websites and forums all over the place.

Entropy because when BG2 came out I fell in love with the word and Haer'dalis's constant use of it. His weapons Chaos and Entropy and so on and so forth.

XII - because it has always been my lucky number. It was in my very first random email address. My first and current football (soccer) number and many other personal things. I even got a tattoo of the number last year.

Yeah I know. I'm a douche.
    CrevsDaak
  • terzaerianterzaerian Member Posts: 232
    I made it up, a while back.

Also, Entropy, this is the second time you've posted on this page, lol :D
    Fredjo
    edited September 2013
    It is? I had thought I had serious de ja vu at one point! Oops! Good job I didn't make more of a fool out of myself by saying "Someone has already created this type of thread" like I had originally planned to...

My bad =)

-looks up to the top of this page and slaps himself in embarrassment. Slowly shakes his head at himself in shame-
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Is what I always play my CHARNAMES as. Though it does not translate well into English, it means pointed and clever, but also beautiful, (especially like a floweror tree), words in sindarian.
    Meag- pointed, clever, especially concerning words
    Loth- beautiful trees and flowers (lothlorien, the like.)
    Doesn't make a lot of sense but I think it has a nice ring to it, and I have grown very fond of it. and i use it for many usernames and video game names. I think it fits me well, or at least I want it to.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    hey I remember this thread and I will say it again. as if anybody needs to know the story of this name :)
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    When I was younger, I got into roleplaying games and fantasy games through Advanced Heroquest, set in the Warhammer Fantasy setting. In the manual there was an example party, and at 10-12 years old, I wasn't creative enough to come up with something of my own, so I just used the example party in all my games.

"Heinrich Lowen" was the human warrior in the party, and my favourite, probably cos he was the one I could most easily identify with given the others were a Dwarf, a Wood Elf and an old Wizard.

Long story short I started using "Heinrich" as my online name for various things, and it just stuck with me outta habit, even though I don't typically roleplay a European chain-mail clad warrior anymore. At some point very near the beginning of this habit I accidentally added in a 'd'.
    CrevsDaakBelgarathMTH
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    hmmmm my online name from neverwinter nights was Necromundo_sleevak which was the name of my original guildwars character (played neverwinter nights before but didnt start online till WAY later) then after a time my name became Penfold and the name as stuck (to the point where i introduce myself as penfold and when writing names i instinctively start to spell out penfold. Mr because im a male and 666 because thats the number of the beast and im a beast of a gamer and voila MrPenfold666
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited November 2013
    cyberarmy said:

Cyberarmy, because i was one man army when playing FPSs(not CoDs...) untouchable killing machine of doom.
    I was using Entreri before that :)

You played Marathon?? Halo 1 Multiplayer-Only version?? I say I'm a roleplayer, but if you ever play one of those games with me, you'll want to be at my side, a friend of mine called me Chuck-Norris-of Sci-fi-FPS-from-the-past after killing him and another guy like 12+ times each one in Halo 1 MO version (what score a 25 targets killed, so I won :D). Actually, I'm not so good at Marathon, because I never spent much time on it like I did with Halo 1 MO version on school (well, a long tale to be told in one part) but I have a VERY lethal aiming and I use almost all the weapons like Charging fists by running -> 2 Shotgun shots -> Alien weapon till dead, that and carnage difficulty plus the infernal speed you reach only by running in Marathon Infinity... "All dead All dead!" as Freddy said before in a song by the same name :P

I've chosen SVERCAD for my one of my firsts PC in BG1, it sounded like russian for me (I was 7 years, and never past the Prologue :P but I liked the game a lot) and, if spelled from the other side it reads like DACREVS, which was the name of another PC I made and died in the training with the illusions ;( I wasn't good)
    Well, my name began with KotOR2's random names generator, it said CERV DASAK or something like that but I cannot remind it fine, it reminded me of SVERCAD, so I rearranged the letters to make CREVS DAAK.
    3 years passed... There I player more KotOR2 (I won it like 37 times) and LEGO Universe (Where I was NeoMagmaSandwich, because I played the FTP before paying up for only 2 months before it closed)
    After one more year... I played most arcade games and started using CREVS DAAK around the web.
    Then I started playing BG:EE, and decided to make some background of the name, and decided CREVS DAAK wasn't his name, and that his real name was CREV'SINDIR DAAK'HIUNAR, but CREVS DAAK was the short for it.

Mr because im a male and 666 because thats the number of the beast and im a beast of a gamer and voila MrPenfold666

From Genesis Supper's Ready:
    [...]
    "666 is the number alone"
    [...]

A great song by the way, in a great album, but I like the Seconds Out version a lot more :P
    Jolanthus said:

I was seeing all this stuff about a bearer of a black sword and felt you may have been influenced by Elric of Melnibone

WHAT A GOOD BOOK SERIES!!!! The best saga I have EVER read, and Stormbringer, well, I made a mod to make it appear in BG:EE, it is legendary stuff, along with the Shield of Chaos and Aubec's Armor (Shield of Chaos from one of the lasts books, Aubec's Armor from the first one :D)
    Post edited by CrevsDaak on
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited November 2013
    Named after my dragon character in Istaria (different Last Name though). I later felt that it fit well to my personality. Left Istaria after about half a year because it was dead empty.

Fun Fact #2: I took almost 1 hour to perfect the look of that character.
    (No, the portrait is not by me but I commissioned it)
    Post edited by AendaeronBluescale on
    CrevsDaak
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    meagloth said:

Is what I always play my CHARNAMES as. Though it does not translate well into English, it means pointed and clever, but also beautiful, (especially like a flower or tree), words in sindarian.
    Meag- pointed, clever, especially concerning words
    Loth- beautiful trees and flowers (lothlorien, the like.)
    Doesn't make a lot of sense but I think it has a nice ring to it, and I have grown very fond of it. and i use it for many usernames and video game names. I think it fits me well, or at least I want it to.

Hmmmmm.... It has recently come to my understanding that the sindarian word I was thinking of when I chose my name is actually maegloth, and it just means pointy flowers, not clever words. Not that it made any sense In The first place, but still.
    Oh well. Now it's set in stone, my name is meagloth, and so what if isn't 100% correct sindarin, right?
    Sot of..........
    CrevsDaak
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    Can't believe I missed this topic when I first joined this forum. Back to the topic at hand, Zarakinthish is a character I made for a 2nd edition AD&D game back in the day. He's a NE grey elf mage disfigured by a magical accident. This magical accident made a portion of his face look like a drow (dark skin, white hair, and a red eye). A side effect of the disfiguration was that he had better infravision (equal to that of a drow). His backstory is that he was picked on as he grew up because he had features of a high elf (e.g. dark hair)instead of the standard features of a grey elf. (I think anyone who has read the infamous Complete Book of Elves will understand how I came up with this.) During a coming of age party, he tried to use a spell to poison the drinks, which resulted in the magical accident. After he regained consciousness, he gathered supplies and ran away. (Thinking on it now, I can kind of see part of why I like Neera so much now.) In the first session I played him, the party had to escape from confinement. We had an encounter with enemies that didn't look like it would go well given how many were in the room. However, with Zarakinthish's quick thinking, he cast the spell grease and centered it in the room, then set the greased area on fire with a torch. That is one of my more memorable D&D moments.

Wow, that took a bit to get out. Way back in my earliest days on the net, I used the name Raistlin. Not long after I made the character however, I started to use this name, at least when it comes to places dealing with fantasy roleplaying. I have another name I use frequently when it come to other things, and a special name I use when it comes to Star Wars things.
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Wow, that took a bit to get out. Way back in my earliest days on the net, I used the name Raistlin. Not long after I made the character however, I started to use this name, at least when it comes to places dealing with fantasy roleplaying. I have another name I use frequently when it come to other things, and a special name I use when it comes to Star Wars things.

Star Wars you said, I use the same one, I'm a multidimensional Planewalker. And I like SW a lot :P Really I do.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Ok, so...

Back in middle school I used the word "rumf" instead of a curseword because my parents didn't like me cussing. Mom eventually got tired of the word and said I needed to get rid of it or change it, so I said, "OK, Mom, I'm feeling rumf-ish."

Rumfish came to mean anything, everything, something, nothing, and each specific thing. It also represented a giant intergalactic rainbow-colored fish who could hold its breath for millions of years as it swam through the depths of space. It was indestructible and could breathe any substance (air, water, plutonium, badgers, etc.) and it was worshipped as a deity. I had a cast of characters who were associated with the Rumfish, and in high school we would roleplay around the lunch table with these characters (back then I didn't use any RP rules, we just talked about what the characters did and created a story verbally).

In the plot of that story, it was discovered that a being called The Rumfish King had been sealed away in an alternate dimension along with his soldiers, and when he was released it turned the tide of the Third Great Galactic War in the favor of the followers of Rumfish.

That character also goes by Lord Rumfish.

I am that lord.
    KidCarnival